What is best ebike lighting available?

t3sla said:
Does anyone recommend good dcdc for battery to 8.4V use

I'd like to know too...

I got this light that works on 8.4V (separate pack of 3P2S)....
It's a chinese " 28000LM 11x CREE XM-L T6 LED 8 x 18650 Bicycle Cycling Light Waterproof Lamp lot " I got for 30.69 USD....
51-quLQMwvL__SY300_.jpg
See similar offer here : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/28000LM-11-x-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-6-x-18650-Bicycle-Cycling-Light-Waterproof-Lamp-/162186532667?var=&hash=item25c312173b:m:mzUrCJThFdbi4WEPT3p6JzQ
They even have 36000 lumen on ebay now !

Not sure if mine is really 28 000 Lumens (i doubt it'd be that affordable... maybe more like 10000 or so), but man is this thing bright and powerfull ! 8)
I'd tilt it towards the ground if I ever need to ride in town with it, to not blind other people...

The thing is, have another independant battery pack and that is not very convenient. So I to need a DC-DC converter (52V nominal to 8.4V nominal).... But how many watts ?, I don't know for now...
Any suggestion woul be welcome...

I also got myself a 48V horn, I love how loud it is, good for NYC! : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252618079619?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
s-l225.jpg
and horn switch : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272162486147?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
mO-jNwLvfBwKvfgciVf1gSA.jpg
and a Cmelian X5 Bicycle rear Light (runs it's own inteagrated 3.7V single 18650... and you get a usb cable to recharge it) from Luna [youtube]9t60-_tkz2s[/youtube]

I have the UFO-looking light that was linked previously:
https://m.banggood.com/DC9-85V-20W-2000lm-Motorcycle-LED-Hung-out-Headlight-With-USB-Charger-Lamp-p-1095321.html?rmmds=orderdetail

It seems like a quality product:
-All the fixings are stainless.
- Housing seems well made. We'll see after the swedish winter if it holds up
- Beam is really good, it's got a wide, square beam with a brighter spot in the middle and good definition, not much stray light.
- The light is quite heavy and moto-looking so not very stealth.

I recommend it for the beam quality alone!
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Obviously it depends on the style of the bike. If its an EEB/Qulbix/Nyx/Vector style of frame, you can go with something more... motorcyclish.

Either way, get something DOT rated, or at least aim it so if you are on the road you don't blind on coming traffic. I got a DIY dualsport headlight and put a LED bulb in it that has a euro beam pattern.

I haven't finished the new battery for this build, so I don't know what the beam pattern, or brightness is like. But at least it looks cool, lol.

20171005_195019.jpg

I like car headlights. :) Unfortunatley they don't run directly off traction packs, but you can use a DC-DC or a separate battery pack.

On SB Cruiser, I'm using a Kia halogen right now, I think it's a Sylvania H4 bulb, on lowbeam so the horizon line is nice and sharp, and lighting is even from light to horizon line (meaning, brighter at horizon so reflected light appears equal to me at the seat). Unfortunately it's very large and not pretty; I've yet to build a good housing for it (looks are much less important than functionality for me, and the trike is already huge so a big headlight doesn't look out of place on it or really get in the way).

(the light assembly was found in the parking lot where I work, as I left after closing time. apparently from a collision, the cover was broken and the module broken off the car and left behind).

It's a lot better than the old 1980's Sylvania halogen sealed-beam headlights I'd been using before. (they work, but they don't have a great horizon line, nor even light distribution).

A projector headlight would be smaller and "cleaner" in appearance, adn do the same job as the Kia light does for me.

I've also got a Grin Tech multiLED headlight, but it's more of a marker than something to light my path in traffic. I do use just it when on offroad bike paths, where a car headlight isn't necessary (no oncoming blinding traffic or other problematic lighting), and it works well enough for that purpose, in combination with my white LED downlighting on the front of the downtube of the trike.

The Grin light does work off the ebike traction battery, unlike the rest of the lights.

I use motorcycle taillights and turn signals; these also run off the same battery (or DC-DC) the headlight and downlighting does. Some I've converted to LED, some came that way, and some are still incandescent.

I also use aquarium lights for downlighting (and markers placed under bike reflectors for color filters), generally these also run off the lighting battery (or DC-DC) and are usually waterproof, or at least water resistant.

Apparently I don't have a good pic of the new headlight in action, so the pics below show the old 1980's unit, and it shows the Grin light on the front of the fender; it's now to the right of the car headlight instead.
file.php

file.php

Supernova introduced two new smaller lights of their M99 series.

M99 Mini Pure 45

http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e-bike-lights-45-kmh/m99-mini-pure-45/

(sadly there are errors on that page, voltage is 12V only and this lamp uses 3 LED)

M99 Mini Pro 25

http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e-bike-lights-25kmh/m99-mini-pro-25/

This one comes with low and high beam:

m99minipro25_grafik-nf3dn50mnzn378pn7u4mnui17dxkpekv95dkmk86ps.jpg

Bth Mini M99 miss the daylight feature of the M99 Pure / Pure+ and Pro

The M99 Pro is the only M99 light that can be used at higher voltages (24V to 75V)

http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e-bike-lights-45-kmh/m99-pro/

m99pro_drohne.jpeg

larsb said:
I have the UFO-looking light that was linked previously:

...I recommend it for the beam quality alone!
View attachment 1

It is a cheap light but the light pattern provided on their own selling page looks plain horrible. Lots of color fringing and very annoying dark-light pattern within the beam...

https://www.banggood.com/DC9-85V-20W-2000lm-Motorcycle-LED-Hung-out-Headlight-With-USB-Charger-Lamp-p-1095321.html

Is it different in reality?

The light is better than the pic in real life, the beam blends well, i think there are 3 leds inside.

I wanted to show the beam but light is now totally fogged up inside! I drove through some really heavy rain (nearly 3/4" or 18 mm in just an hour) and it must have leaked. So forget about this light..
image.jpeg

I bought myself one of these lights:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/40000LM-16x-XML-T6-3-Mode-LED-Bike-Bicycle-Lamp-Cycling-Torch-Headlight-Headlamp/401395413780?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=671022505023&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It is similar to the one Matador posted. The light is very bright and so far I'm loving it as a daytime running light. The pattern is less than ideal but I just wanted something with a larger face than my current CygoLyte 500.

It seems the consensus is to not exceed the 8.4V the light may have been designed to run on but I would like to run it on my 52V main battery. In true eBay fashion; the description is a little bit questionable. It states that:
"2. Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent."

I attempted contacting about 6 additional vendors that sell the same light to find out if the light will work on 52V. The only response (after a couple of tries to get a relevant answer) was this:

Me:
I am looking for the voltage range of the power source that can be used. Can it be used on a 58V battery pack instead of 8.4V battery pack?

8.4V to ?

Thank you

Seller:

The answer; although direct; doesn't fill me with confidence. Has anyone actually tried running these lights on their higher pack voltage like 52V? I am very tempted to try it myself but I don't want to risk killing my light. I've got a dc dc converter on the way; but it will probably arrive by the time I'm ready to park the bike for the season (very slow shipping).

Excellent, thanks for the suggestion. :idea: I will try that test.

"I know that "best" can be subjective"... Hehe... totally. EG I went for "adjustable on the fly" aka omni-directional. :mrgreen:

Glove.jpg

:wink:

LockH said:

No duct tape used, I am unimpressed, so very very unimpressed.

duc ttape.jpg notice the name of the duct tape "FUNKY FLAMINGO" :shock:

Ut Oh are these fighing times LockH :wink:
gloves with lights.jpg
Rainbow colors with primary being pink :shock:

glove light.jpg

please adapt to ebike industry :wink: Notice the installer was not pro in using white duct tape :roll:

^^ Hehe... "duct tape"... Don't boot laces count? (Only needed one, but they seem to only come in pairs... so have one extra...)

Anyone know a good 12v step down convertor for a 72v battery? 84v fully charged, maybe one of these ones? https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-60v-to-12v-dc-step-down.html

Cheers

harmonist said:
Anyone know a good 12v step down convertor for a 72v battery? 84v fully charged, maybe one of these ones?
Cheers

I use 2 of these on my bike: 48v to 120v so even if you up your volts later it will still work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B6B6HQZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#1 is wired to running/flood lights, turn signals, headlight, horn, Bluetooth speaker, 2ch. DVR and GPS tracker (less than 65w with everything on)

#2 is wired to just the high beams on the headlight (75 to 80w draw) used primarily at night

LockH said:
^^ Hehe... "duct tape"... Don't boot laces count? (Only needed one, but they seem to only come in pairs... so have one extra...)

Well, since you do get around and conscience of price, there is always one shoe somewhere on the ground, or a pair hanging on a line somewhere. Take the laces off and BINGO, FREEBIE. Or if you are lazy, go to Home Depot's customer loading zone and snatch some of their complimentary light duty string. However Duct Tape is just cooler (especially if its colored) and everyone knows this as a fact.

Alan B said:
Try running it on 12V very briefly and see if the brightness is the same. Measure the current at 8V and 12V. If the current is going up as the voltage goes up, stop. If the current goes down with increasing voltage that means it has a DC-DC converter built in.

Thanks Alan, it was a good test but.... I should have payed more attention to your "stop" comment ... I didn't cut the voltage quick enough! Note to self; break the circuit immediately instead of moving back to the power supply. :oops: I seem to have blown the driver portion of the light. The strange thing is, the LEDs still light up! The button on the back of the light no longer does anything (it used to switch been off/high/low/strobe). If the light is hooked up to to a power source, it comes on right away whereas before you had to press the button.

I *carefully* re-attached it to my power supply the the remains of the light and observed that now the current increases as the voltage increase which looks like it has bypassed the regulator/driver all together. At 5V, it was trying to pull 5A + (power-supply only does 5 amperes maximum). At 4.2V it was pulling 3.3A.

Since I half smoked the light anyway; I decided to run the light back on the 8.4V battery pack during my ride. The LEDs survived; although it was very hot. I have since wired up a new 4.2V battery pack in a 1S4P configuration to bring the voltage and amperage back down to survivable levels for the LEDs. What is the max voltage on a bare LED anyway?

I have since ordered an identical new light (one that runs on 4-84VDC this time). In the meantime; while I wait for the new light to arrive; I'll continue running this light on my 4.2V battery. Hopefully, my dc dc step down converters arrive before I totally kill this light.

At least I've learned a lesson from this :lol: .

2WheelsMovesTheSoul said:
I use 2 of these on my bike: 48v to 120v so even if you up your volts later it will still work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B6B6HQZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#1 is wired to running/flood lights, turn signals, headlight, horn, Bluetooth speaker, 2ch. DVR and GPS tracker (less than 65w with everything on)

#2 is wired to just the high beams on the headlight (75 to 80w draw) used primarily at night

Awesome thanks for the link 2WheelsMovesTheSoul, will give it a try!

Yinding - https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_124468.html

I PM'd you about this light, but I am convinced its a great light, and its $50 Canadian (40USD)

Offroader said:
macribs, are you riding in the woods at night?

You don't need crazy good lighting, but it is just fun to go into the woods with a lot of light. If you know the trails, you can comfortably drive as fast as you would during the day through the woods.

I'm pushing 2500 real lumens and that is a lot of light, I wouldn't mind doubling it to 5000 lumens. Just something fun about lighting up the entire woods at night.

I've got my eye on this light here to push out 2300 real lumens. The Yinding 900 is 900 lumens and that is bright, this thing must be super bright. This is supposedly best value light for this high of lumens.

https://www.ituolights.com/products/ituo-wiz-xp3-led-mountain-bike-light-head-2200-lumens-neutral-white

Customer Reviews
4.95 out of 5

5 Star 21
4 Star 1
3 Star 0
2 Star 0
1 Star 0

4 star review, due to button doesnt protrude for glove use and modes.
Mr

High quality and very powerful for the price, output advertised I think is correct, very small, modes could be improved, modes could be improved as you can cycle through them without switching the light off. I have included some beam shot,the item you see in the middle of the trail is 25 yards away. Also included a photo of the Yinding on the left to show how small it is, the middle light is the Gloworm X2 and on the right is the Solarstorm x2. The light took 15days to arrive here in the UK so very please with Gearbest

Suggestion
switch need to stick out of body, difficult to switch on or click on the different modes if you are wearing winter glove, also if positioned on your helmet the switch is difficult to find as it is not raised.

My BMSBattery 48V11.6Ah Bottle-09 Panasonic Battery Pack has an USB port I like to use for feeding my 7.5V Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus front light and my B&M Toplight Flats S backlight. A Pololu 7.5V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U3V70F7 did the trick.

0J9082.1200.jpg

After some experimenting I learned:
teaqlyon0l4.png

Please note the Busch & Müller B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus front light and my B&M Toplight Flats S backlight were feeded from one source at the same time.

Funny...the cheapest solution was the best by far.. 4,42 Euro only.2000 Lumens XM-L T6 LED Bicycle Headlight Waterpoof Bike Light Lamp Cycling USB Bike Bicycle Front Light & o-ring 5 Colors

I finally managed to open up my XM-L T6 lights with the blown driver:
IMG_20190120_101317.jpg
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
IMG_20190120_101308.jpg

I didn't realize the back would thread off like the front; so I get it with a hammer and a screwdriver. I then noticed the back began to spin. Note: this light was only designed to work with a 2S battery pack.

For comparison I opened up my 4-84V version of this light to see what the number on the board was:

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement high voltage driver like the one above? I'd like to convert the first light to work on my pack voltage but I can't find any similar driver boards. The only thing that came up when I punched in the board number was this guy also looking for a replacement driver:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/59867

I was quite happy I manged to get the damn thing open; but without a replacement driver; I'm not much further ahead.

THE best light?
The one which uses the latest tech LED
latest means less LEDs more bright simpler circuit.
CREE Isa winner here
wattage of LED s. tells everything

Unibond Spot and Flood light with alum housing, normal is $40 goes on sale for $20 and $25.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/6-1-4-in-led-spot-flood-light/A-p8546038e
1250 Lumens, and people seem to be stunned by its brightness and I angle it down and 40' ahead. I'd have to look at it from there to see whats its like but its a great light for the price!
Better then any Chinesium $20 could buy. Aluminum fins, all aluminum!
Princess Auto in Canada and probably Harbor Freight

Could modify it if you wanted to, maybe see what the reflector replacement can do, beam it in a bit.

Back