What is your ideal bicycle frame for an e-bike build?

http://surlybikes.com/frames/troll_frame/

I think I found mine. It does it all: Steel frame, Horizontal dropouts for running single-speed, disc brake compatible, and fender/rack mounts. Of course I would add a front suspension fork, as well as a rack and panniers. The panniers would hold the batteries and hide the rear geared hub motor. What do you think?

Doesn't exist yet, so I have to keep trying to make one I'm happy with. Normal bike frames are a joke above pedal-like speeds.

Lots of opinions in this thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29676
and the one it links to in it's OP.

I would get a full suspension bike. I have a hybrid which only have front suspension and I am regretting not getting a full suspension frame. Unless you live in a city with prefect roads, I would recommend getting a full suspension bike.

I fell in love with a kona fixie frame at one point. Wanted it for the track so suspension wasn't mandatory. But then I saw that frame was not the usual width at the rear dropout, so it was going to take some modifications to axles, or a singificant amount of frame bending. That frame was the humahumanukanukaapua'aa. Or something spelled sorta like that.

The ideal frame varies a lot depending on the riders intended use, but steel dropouts is always a big plus. Just like space in the frame triangle is also a big plus. So that frame is at least a plus two. When you add up the plusses and minuses and come up with zero, a bike may be suitable. Ending up plus one even better.

Rating my favorite frame, the mongoose blackcomb,,, Steel rear dropouts +1 Y style frame -1. Disk brake mounts +1 Cheap brakes -1. Trigger shifters +1 Cheap derailurs, cheap crank etc -1. Full suspension +1 Shocks cheap pogo stick type -1. Comes out zero, so it passes. But you have to upgrade every component on the bike to score it good at all. Maybe comes out +1, if you give it one point for being under $500 to buy new. Or is that simply another -1?

The only things I'd really change about my current bike frame; I'd make it a non-folder and a slightly beefier 24" frame instead of 20". If it wasn't rigid enough some gussets or a top tube could be added but I actually like the unisex frame and scooter-ish look. Oh, maybe push the rear tire back about 4" so I'm not sitting almost directly over the axle. Stronger forks would be nice...maybe front suspension but with that big foam seat, suss isn't required. If I was looking to sell frames like that the seat would have to be adjustable but if it's the ideal frame for me then it's already set where I want it anyway and there would be enough room under the seat to place the controller.

thm_php4bJhXH.jpg (ignore the trailer)

Back