Yamaha YZ250F

It would be if it was continous.
But how do you think that you will be able to use 43kw continous?
You saw nuxlands 0 to full speed pull, was it 4 seconds? How much of it was full power, 2 seconds?
Will you hold the brake to be able to keep full power for longer or what?
Do you plan to run full throttle all the time on the track, around the corners and everything?

That is what I ment with it would be a car, not a cart. You need a car (at highway speed) to be able to use 43kw continous, and it would take a car to fit the battery needed to do so.

Not even sevcon:s ratings are contionous, and I can guarantee that fardriver:s ratings are not either.

Yes, sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant 600a peak.. so 43kw peak? Not 43kw continuously l. For my kart, I'm not planning on racing it or anything. This is just for fun, riding around home, race some friends. My main goal for this kart is to get a good 0-60mph in under 6 seconds. My batterys are capable of delivering 1200a continuously, so I have lots of room for extra power. But I don't want to burn the motor. I'm trying to find a good match with the controller and even motor.. if your wondering what batterys I have. They are the SPIM08HP. I have a 20s 6p making 48ah. I'm texting lots of people who built high power stuff like this and, they always tell me one thing. "This motor is to big for your Go Kart" you know at this point I'm just really lost, I don't know what to buy.. what do you think?

I dont know how much power you need, read the go cart threads and see what other people do.
Nuxland seems to push the limits on what this size of stuff can do, others seems happy with a lot less.
Also read up on these batteries. If Im not mistaken these are old cells, usually not capable of anything near the claims.
Anyway, it is kind of off topic in this thread.

Hi there,im doing some testing with 108v1800ph model and just wondering what sort of phase amps you are seeing and at what dc amps ect.
Cheers :D

j bjork said:
I dont know how much power you need, read the go cart threads and see what other people do.
Nuxland seems to push the limits on what this size of stuff can do, others seems happy with a lot less.
Also read up on these batteries. If Im not mistaken these are old cells, usually not capable of anything near the claims.
Anyway, it is kind of off topic in this thread.

I should probably already known this but who is
Nuxland? What did he build?

I'm confused with brushless motor and brushed motors.

Let say I have a brushed 72v 600a controller and motor

Now let's say I have a brushless 72v 600a controller and motor rated at 1200 phase amps peak.

The brushed controller dosent have phase amps. Would that mean that my brushless motor is twice as powerful, than the brushed?
Or would the power feel that same for both motors because they are both 600a? Do my phase amps really double, to where I can feel that difference on the brushless setup?

speedy1984 said:
Hi there,im doing some testing with 108v1800ph model and just wondering what sort of phase amps you are seeing and at what dc amps ect.
Cheers :D

Interesting, where did you get it and how much did you pay? :es:

I finally ordered the qs180 through the original qs website. It was a little strange tho because they gave me an option to pay through this website called "wise" its basically a website that sends money to other countries in different currencies. I dont know where you ordered from but if it was through qs motors, hopefully your familiar with that. There was also an option to pay through PayPal, but the fee was to expensive. I was originally planning to buy the motor on aliexpress, but i didn't want to buy it off some offbrand company. I talked through the email harry@qsmotor.com and he walked me through. Also, when you received your fardriver controller was it already Programed? Or did you Have to program everything yourself?

I think I bought from qsmotor.com, (not cnqsmotor) because they were the only ones with it on their site.
No ali sellers (qs or other), had it back then.
I think it was some sort of direct bank transfer. But it is almost 2 years ago, so I cant say that I remember exactly.

The controller was not programmed, I bought it as it is. Not any kit or something.

From your experience would you say it is easy to program the far driver controllers?

I changed sprocket on the motor a while back.
I think this is the only picture:

4NPlNVI.jpg

As you can see I made a cork seal for that too, the plan is that it should be easy to tension the chain now.
I dont really like that I cant torque the bolts like I want now though.
Maybe I will make cutouts in the seal around the bolts, so I can use washers there to get proper pressure on the seal and torque the bolts.

Anyway, I went from 6,29-1 to 7,44-1 in gearing and the bike is pissed now again :wink:
Primary gear was 13/18 and now it is 11/18. Secondary was and is 11/50, I wanted to change back to 12/50. But then I will get 6,82-1, not sure that I want that. Maybe I will try it when the one I have is worn out.

I have been using these switches lately:

kdpPpZs.jpg

The ones I had before had problems dealing with water and mud.
These are kind of ugly and dont seem to take a little beating..

Maybe I should move back to handlebar switches, I dont think I will brake them (very often) when I have hand-guards :roll:

What do the switches need to do? (momentary/latching? xPxT? physical size/diameter of hole/depth available under hole? voltage? current? push like what you picture, or toggle, rocker, etc?)

There's a lot of durable industrial switches that may work, if I know what you need I might be able to find one on Mouser or Digikey that can do the job.

amberwolf said:
What do the switches need to do? (momentary/latching? xPxT? physical size/diameter of hole/depth available under hole? voltage? current? push like what you picture, or toggle, rocker, etc?)

There's a lot of durable industrial switches that may work, if I know what you need I might be able to find one on Mouser or Digikey that can do the job.

Im not sure about all the terms in English, but this is what one I had before looks like:

jWMkH7b.jpg

I prefer 2 like this one, with 0,1,2. Then I can have high, mid, low on one of them. On the other I can have no direction, forward and reverse. It has to be visible on the switch what position it is in. It is plenty of room under, but I want as little sticking up as possible.
They only ground inputs to the controller, so no current handling.
Just on off can be ok too, I just skip low on one and no direction on the other. I really only use high anyway, I just have mid or low if it is very slippery.

Then one of the same model with just on/off to turn the bike on and off.
It only controls the ground signal for a relay, so very little current. It does get high voltage through the coil when it is off, not sure if that is something I should worry about..

It is a little under 20mm, so I suppose they are for 20mm hole.

I am considering changing into something like this instead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334493163014?hash=item4de1589e06%3Ag%3AlrYAAOSwGoViH8UN&nma=true&si=ujhZzzBsmIILXsGf00tGK0xVr2w%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I also have these pushbuttons (connection when pressed down, no connection when released) to control the display:

fpVVSeK.jpg

Small, 7mm thread. They dont really survive water in the long run either.

If you like that exact switch, there are part numbers on the first switch that will let you find an identical replacement; I can't read them all in the image, but if you can read them and type them in, Farnell, Mouser Digikey, etc can find them for you (in their chat if you don't see them in a quick search on their sites). I'll try to do it myself when I'm more awake (I keep dozing off) if you don't find what you need before then based on the info here. :oops:

The technical term for that type of switch is a rocker, SPDT-center-off, latching. That means the actuator on the front rocks back and forth, and there is only one pole, or electrical path (in this case the center pin is common), and two throws, or positions, that connect the center pin to one or the other of the two outer pins, and the center position is off, not connected to either one.

So a physically identical switch with just on/off would be a rocker, SPST, latching. Only one pair of contacts, which is either connected or not. The voltage across the contacts shouldn't be a problem if the current is always low, but with a coil there can be a large inductive voltage spike, so making sure there is a diode wired in parallel with the coil, at the coil contact pins, will help minimize this. (the diode is always wired reverse-bias, so that under normal voltage it does not conduct, otherwise it would short out the supply voltage. Generally this means the bar/line end of the diode goes to the positive wire of the coil.).

I can't see p/n's on the second switch, but they might be there. If not, that pic and any numbers you can give them would let those sites find one that does the same job the same way.

For the operating method you describe, they would be pushbutton, SPST, momentary. (SPST for a single pair of contacts, if you need more than one set of contacts, to simultaneously operate multiple things, you can get DPST, or even 3PST, etc).

They are both standard switch formats, so there are waterproof caps you can get for them from the same places. Or even get switches that are inherently waterproof, though those are likely to be more expensive. YOu can get some spare caps in case they are damaged or wear out, so you don't have to replace the switches instead..

This is a generic image search for such caps, most of which are not the results you need, so I've linked some that may be the right type (but I would ask at the place you get the switches from to get you matching caps to ensure they will fit and work...if they dont' fit right, they won't keep water out).
https://www.google.com/search?&q=waterproof+switch+caps&tbm=isch

This probably doesn't fit your exact pushbutton switch, but is an example of the type (found with the google image search above)
https://www.newark.com/knitter-switch/et207/sealing-cap-waterproof-grey/dp/94M7264

This is not the same switch, just generally a pushbutton type, but the pics they have are better at showing the thread-on nut inside the cap that holds it to the switch and keeps water out of the switch.
https://www.ncsawparts.com/page/subpage/biro-sir-steak-pro-9-hd-parts/BIRO-SIR-STEAK-PRO-9-SWITCH-CAP-Ref-T3200A-T3105.htm

For your usage, you'd want clear silicone caps for the rockers so you can see the markings on them. The caps must have enough of a lip on them that goes securely under the lip of the switch at the panel mount to ensure water can't get under them and either into the panel or the switch.

This is an example page for the rocker switch caps to show what they should look like; they have a pretty good pic showing the lip.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/311659799585

It would be pretty straight forward to take a momentary kill switch, feed it into a micro controller and have it scroll between Hi, mid low. This is essentially what I do on my bike. Might even be a clever way of doing it with a shift register. those inputs on the drive are very low current inputs, ~ 1mA, so pretty much anything will switch them.

Doug

dougf said:
Might even be a clever way of doing it with a shift register. those inputs on the drive are very low current inputs, ~ 1mA, so pretty much anything will switch them.

A 4017 or similar chip could do this, though it will need two inverters for the two output pins that feed the controller's 3-speed input. "low gear" connects to the inverted output 1. Output 2 is skipped, for the "center off" "medium gear". "High gear" connects to the inverted output 3. Output 4 connects to 4017's reset pin, so as soon as output 4 is active it resets back to output 1, so you have a 3-speed selector.

Clock input is from the debounced (couple of inverters and some resistors/caps for instance, since a quad inverter chip (4049, etc) would have two unused after doing the job above) momentary switch used to sequentally toggle between gears.

If an indication of which gear is active is required, an LED can be driven by the 4017 or the inverter, on the pin being indicated, via one or another method.

The pictures was just to show what the switches look like, not to find exactly the same ones.
These caps look nice, the problem is just to know that they fit then..

I think I can get that changing between low, mid and high with a button with a setting in the controller.
But then I dont know until I start driving what position I am in. For me a switch is fine, and just to be able to change between high and mid is enough. I rarely use anything other than high anyway.

j bjork said:
The pictures was just to show what the switches look like, not to find exactly the same ones.
If you get the caps and switches at the same time from the same place (especially if you use Mouser or Digikey or Farnell and have them help you pick matching sets out with their chat), then there shouldn't be a problem. I've also seen plenty of aliexpress, ebay, etc ads in the image searches for these switches / caps for switches that come with matching caps (but I don't know how good either the switches or the caps are).

If you didn't mind toggle switches (which stick out a lot, so aren't the best to use in that kind of location) there are a lot more options for waterproof caps that screw onto them, just having to match the length of toggle and diameter of threaded section.

I'll see if I can find a set of each kind and link them here for you.

j bjork said:
I think I can get that changing between low, mid and high with a button with a setting in the controller.
But then I dont know until I start driving what position I am in.
Does it "remember" which "gear" you were in at power off? Or does it reset to a specific one every time it's turned on?

If the latter, the 4017 circuit could be used just to drive the LEDs that tell you whihc "gear" it is being switched to at the time.

The 3-position switch is, of course, much simpler to implement. ;)

amberwolf said:
j bjork said:
If you get the caps and switches at the same time from the same place (especially if you use Mouser or Digikey or Farnell and have them help you pick matching sets out with their chat), then there shouldn't be a problem.
I guess trying the chat might be the thing then, I have bought stuff before that seemed like it should fit together. Just to find that it didnt :?

I like to have as little sticking out as possible, I am pretty good at braking off things that sticks out :wink:

I dont know if it "remember" the gear, I dont think I even tried that.

I am also curious about HESC, and I noticed the site is up again.
Now with news :wink:
https://3shulmotors.com/shop/?v=74acf4897fa0

It would be nice with the higher voltage,variable regen and MTPA.
I am also curious about the throttle handling, if it might be different.

I am not sure if 1000pA is enough though. I am sure it is enough for my riding, just not if it is enough to get the most out of the motor. Even if I dont use the power, I feel like it would be a waste if it isnt even available. Then there is no reason for the big motor. But when looking at dougf:s dyno runs, maybe 1000pA is enough?
Then I saw the new SC1400, that should be enough :D
It did come with quite the price difference though.

There seem to be very little inputs in the 700 and old 1000 models. Like nothing other than throttle, brake and motor.
I wonder if it is the same here, there dosent seem to be any manuals yet.
I wrote to them yesterday, but havent got any reply.

Back