You guys heard of Benchwheel?

ebb3ka94 said:
. I just need soming that can go 20+mph for about 20miles on a charge. Single or dual doesnt matter. Woyld like to spend around $1000

Deck of your choice = $100
Enertion dual motor kit = $375
Dual enertion motors = $200
two HK 150a 6s esc = $100
16a 6s battery = $150
charger = $50
controller = $25

$1000

that build will sh1t on any chinese made e-board.

Just paid 500£ for one Minus-Tax/Duty

Let's hope it's good just thinking though boosted is 2000w this is more surely it should be faster?

I Will make a nice review video when it comes i expect it will come next week sometime :D

maxchilton said:

Just to let you know, all of enertions stuff is chinese made shit... If you ever actually make something, you will find out chinese manufacturers give a series of quotes, the cheapest being shit items, going up to a high quality range. The Hobby King esc's you recommended are also chinese made shit, as are the batteries, charger and controller. All the items you mentioned fall somewhere in the chinese made 'cheap shit' to 'good quality' range.

bandaro said:
maxchilton said:

Just to let you know, all of enertions stuff is chinese made shit... If you ever actually make something, you will find out chinese manufacturers give a series of quotes, the cheapest being shit items, going up to a high quality range. The Hobby King esc's you recommended are also chinese made shit, as are the batteries, charger and controller. All the items you mentioned fall somewhere in the chinese made 'cheap shit' to 'good quality' range.

Good point most stuff is made in china might aswell just import it yourself and cut out the middleman.

bandaro said:
maxchilton said:

lol, i think you missed my point completely. English must not be your first language. I'm well aware a majority of the things we buy are from china or have parts made in china. Apple products are made in china and they consistently rank among the top in the industry in terms of quality etc.

My original point was a DIY board will significantly outperform (shits on) any premade chinese e-board, which are usually cheaply made clones of clones of clones.

While I was originally wanting to get the Stary board, as its made in Shanghai, they don't seem to want to sell it locally.
So, scanned Taobao for similar products, and decided on the BenchWheel, as it looked reasonable quality-wise compared to the other options.

BenchWheel has it on Taobao for 2899RMB (about 450$USD odd).

I bought my BenchWheel on Monday, had it delivered on Wednesday (the magic of Taobao), and have been riding it for 2 days now.
Have never ridden a skateboard or longboard before, and I'm finding it very easy to ride. I'm already comfortable using it on the road for short trips in light traffic here in Shanghai. Took me about 5 minutes to find my balance, and after about an hour riding around my compound avoiding pedestrians and small rodent sized dogs I felt comfortable enough to take it outside on the street with the bigger traffic.

So far I'm quite happy with it. Top speed is faster than I want to go still, and the battery life is quite decent @ +-20km. The entire bottom of the board is essentially battery. Its really fun to ride, although its not such a huge eye opener here in Shanghai, as there are a lot of different e-vehicles already not counting the bazillion electric mopeds.

e-Scooters are trendy /popular, AirWheels less so. I've spotted a handful of electric longboards too.
Having played with most of the things available here, I think the Longboard is the most fun/ practical in daily use, especially for last mile from metro -> home.

One issue for the BenchWheel is that the battery size is > flight regulations. Theres a reason that Boosted etc have 99Whr batteries. Airplane regulations allow < 100Whr without inspection, and < 160Whr with inspection.
The BenchWheel is 210Whr, so will be an issue flying with one if you're honest with the TSA etc.

All in all, it feels like a decent quality item. The parts are solidly built, and it doesn't feel like cheap crap.
I haven't tried a Boosted board or other US brand boards though, so can't compare to those, but I do know what cheap crap feels like, and this isn't that.

If anyone has questions for BenchWheel I can ask them - my Chinese is reasonably good, and I've been chatting to them on Aliwang for a while already.

I also pointed the BenchWheel people at this thread. No idea if they'll register / post though.

If any one wants photos/video's or has questions fire away.

Some additional info
N5065 270KV motors x 2 - Not sure what brand, haven't opened it up yet.
Batteries in a 6P 4S config using 18650's 8800MAH / 210WH
Wheels are 80x45mm 78A
Board is 920x240x15mm
7.9KG

Has a carry handle, but I think there needs to be something smoother around the handle as the sandpaper gets rough.
Its light enough to carry short distances, which is good.

Remote control feels comfortable to use. The speed acceleration is good - its not crazy from stopped, it feels like they ramp up in a curve rather than giving you full throttle immediately. Braking on the other hand feels like they give you too much - you need to be more careful braking as its almost too fast on the controller.

Controller could do with some labelling, there are way too many leds that show different colors (red or green).
The bottom 3 show board battery status. The top two are speed allegedly, although they do flash when the board isn't sync'd.
The remote and the board time out if not used and left on. The lights stay on, but the remote does nothing. Turning both off then on again resolves that. Looks like it does that when left 3-5 minutes unused. I've already hit that once or twice tonight talking to people about the board and not using it for a few minutes, then it doesn't want to work.

I have to check what speed I've been riding it at next time I use it too. My manual is in Chinese, and the instructions are not very clear. I've actually had a go at making a better english manual here - http://computersolutions.cn/downloads/benchwheel/

Need to work out how to change the speeds then add to that.

Well done :) Great review.

Personally, I would think a 99Wh board is a PITA. If you plan on bringing an eboard on a flight I would personally use and/or choose a board that was specifically used for when I fly.

- Are the belts 15mm or 9mm width belts?
- Are the motors sensored or unsensored? Do you have to kick off on start-up?
- How is the drag on the setup?

RE batteries - I was planning on taking mine home from China at some point. Will see what happens at the airport. Worst case, I can remove batteries and make a smaller setup on another trip.

Belts - HTD 225-3M. I think 9mm but I don't have a vernier here to double check that. Its around 1cm on my ruler, so 9mm sounds feasible.
Bearings are SKF on the wheels.

Motors - dunno. Don't need to kick off to startup. There's more than enough torque. Too much if you go full throttle actually.
Drag - feels ok, definitely would be more work than a normal longboard running it manually (haven't tried one, but it feels like it would be as the motor/belt gives some friction).

I'm a *very* new longboarder/skateboarder, so not the best to ask questions regarding skating stuff. I have about 2-3 hrs on the board so far.
Would also be about the same for my skateboard or longboard lifetime usage powered or otherwise. I've never skateboarded before.

Even so, its been really easy to learn this so far. Haven't fallen yet either, which is a miracle :D

Truck looks like this expanded (from their taobao page)

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 8.59.16 AM.png

And on the board.

TB278_6eXXXXXawXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!25106345.jpg.gif

sold here as a DIY kit,
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Electric-Skateboard-Patrs-DIY-Electric-Board-Belt-Drive-System-Electric-Skate-Truck-System-E-board-Belt/632724_32385630862.html

shanghailoz said:
If anyone has questions for BenchWheel I can ask them - my Chinese is reasonably good, and I've been chatting to them on Aliwang for a while already.

I also pointed the BenchWheel people at this thread. No idea if they'll register / post though.

ask them why they rip off Boosted.

file.php

Attachments

• ripoff.JPG
    ripoff.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,662
15 Sep 2015 14:31
Broke after the first charge and was given a very hard time when i tried to fix the problem. I bought this as a birthday present for my son and he was so disappointed that it did not work that it ruined his birthday. received a full refund and shipped the items back.
No Feedback Score
~
Thanks for the information man.. i was just looking online and someone left a bad review got me worried i hope my board don't break that would make me emotional :roll:

Didn't get a change to go to west bund today, will go tomorrow and take some video's.

As for why they rip off boosted. It doesn't look like its a direct clone, the undercarriage is different and the controllers / remote are different.
May be inspired by, but its not a clone. Legally speaking, unless Boosted has a product design and have registered that in China, its fair game.
I think it would be hard to patent that design as there is tons of prior art. I am not a lawyer though.

The future is going to be interesting - newer designs are using wheel based motors, will see if those work better than the belt driven that the current guys are using. As for batteries, LiFePO4 batteries seem to be where its at though, way safer than the LIPO, although less power per gram.

I spoke again to the BenchWheel guy this morning, and gave them some of my feedback, they're already working on updates.
eg, adding lighting, and they're working on phone integration.

I've made a slightly longer review here - http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog/2015/09/benchwheel-electric-skateboard-review/

@shanghailoz Thanks for the review i was sort of in the dark about this product and was just hoping i made the right choice... How many mph would you say this thing can go because its alot more power full then boosted. Also would it be possible too add more battery cells or will it blow it up? ESC's normaly have a max amp rating but this has a sine wave controller in it ? :?:

MrYetiMan said:
@shanghailoz Thanks for the review i was sort of in the dark about this product and was just hoping i made the right choice... How many mph would you say this thing can go because its alot more power full then boosted. Also would it be possible too add more battery cells or will it blow it up? ESC's normaly have a max amp rating but this has a sine wave controller in it ? :?:

Honestly, unsure.

The thing is using 6S4P for battery config.
Li batteries are usually 3.7V nominal voltage.

3.7V x 6 = 22.2V nominal.

Not sure what the amp's are for the battery pack, I haven't opened mine to verify, but 8800mAh would work out at 8800mAh /4 = 2200mAh per series @ 22.2v nominal, charge voltage around 25v odd.
The rating says they're 10C

Assuming its 22.2V, then you should be able to increase capacity in amps fairly easily, just remember that LFP batteries need a charge equalizer (BMS) to ensure that batteries are charged properly.

I'm not an expert though, so ymmv.

shanghailoz said:
As for why they rip off boosted. It doesn't look like its a direct clone, the undercarriage is different and the controllers / remote are different.
May be inspired by, but its not a clone.

I am specifically refering to the belt cover area. You can easily see that it's almost an exact copy.
rest of the stuff is sort of ok, but you could tell they try to copy to Loaded look for the deck/grip.

When I see products like this, where they are copying others, it's like telling the consumers that the people behind it are just out to make a fast buck, cut and will cut corners on quality.

Legally speaking, unless Boosted has a product design and have registered that in China, its fair game.
I think it would be hard to patent that design as there is tons of prior art. I am not a lawyer though./

I am not a lawyer either, yeah sure they can get away with it in China, where it's the norm, but I don't they will be able to sell it through main retail outlets in the US.
( and i don't mean ebay and amazon where they let things like this slide)

Took a few photo's today - https://www.flickr.com/photos/sheedl/albums/72157658413710000

Video unfortunately didn't go as planned, my sjcam ("sort of gopro'ish") video cam decided it didn't want to play nicely, and stopped working for most of the day.
I have some video, but still need to edit it, and upload later.
None of our phones had enough space for more than a minute of video either, grr. Never buy 16G iPhones...

Got about 3-4 hours of riding on the board today. Arrived around 2pm By the time we left at 6ish, it was definitely struggling to get moving. Could still ride it to the subway stop and home, but it needed a kick push to get rolling by that point.

I think I may look at modding the batteries to something a little more uprated.
I can get 22000mAh (a little over 250% more capacity) at 488Wh for about 2400RMB

eg https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-10906588766.109.jGUTNn&id=45678106906

Have to see if thats going to be feasible first though. Would be nice to have 7-8hrs of runtime!
Those are LiPO though, so would need a different charger. I'm also wary of having that much LiPO sitting under me, will see..

My friends also found it fairly easy to learn, and they were up and running within a few minutes, so it really is a good learning board. I'm starting to find that I want a higher speed now though, but I'm not sure if I should have a higher speed available haha. Had one crash/tumble today, but that was while sitting on the board filming, so not sure if that really counts. Still haven't fallen off / down while riding normally though.

I get my light kit in the next day or two, so will do a little riding at night, and take some more photos/video when that comes.

I don't know enough to check if its sensored, I may take it apart and have a closer look next week, what should I be looking at?

You don't need to kick off (unless its almost out of power).

I got the Benchwheel kit and the motors are not sensored. Startup is great using VESC, there is a small belt transmission ratio.

With some work, you could add sensors in the caps that cover the shaft/pulley. For example you could add hall sensors in the caps, similar to boosted board, or add optical encoders or CUI capacitive encoders.

Found more video's

http://i.youku.com/u/UNTA0MjU2NTUy/videos still waiting for my board.

Some shots with the LED light kit attached.

View attachment 4
View attachment 3
IMG_4155.jpg
View attachment 1
IMG_4157.jpg

Starting to feel more comfortable riding it, was going up and down the ramps at the local skate park earlier without too much trouble.
I'm quite impressed with myself, as I'm an old fart :mrgreen:

Battery definitely getting depleted faster with the light kit in, and the up / down the ramps. Only had about 1 1/2 hrs runtime today.
Top speed - probably in the 20's, starting to feel like I want to go faster though.

Uploaded a marginally better edited version of the weekends video, now that I've worked out iMovie a little better -
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM0MzEwNjMxNg==.html?from=y1.7-2

I'm already considering modding it to use Pediglide's hub motors. Need to get a client to pay me in paypal first though.

Back