Zappy's Axial flux Kick(ass)Scooter

zappy

100 W
This came about by a little 3kw golden motor arriving in the mail, from my big little brother.
We have been on the look out for a suitable high quality mid drive motor for high performance down hill type bikes in the 8-12kw region that weigh in under 5kg. To keep things simple we wanted to use single 219 chain reduction, so rpm can not be more than around 6000 so torque has to be up around 30Nm or so or around 250Nm at the tyre. Trying to buy something with this sort of torque density has been difficult. The CA120 with its high pole count and long stator teeth has excellent copper fill and has made 14 H.P on the dyno for only 2.2kg! But it is really pushed at that, and really needs double stage reduction which gets complicated and noisy at these sort of revs, and a very high speed controller for these high E rpm. The Pletenberg Nova 15 is very expensive for me to "tinker" with and is un proven, and have to use their controllers etc. The colossus motor had everyone vey excited until they tried to find a controller to cope with its very low inductance (I Don't know how Arlo is still sane after all his efforts). Although splinters old RG motorbike is up and going well. Miles's larger motor design show so much promise but do not exist out side FEMM :wink: . Toolman2 has just got his Joby JM1 going in his proper custom down hill bike and it rides real well. It is light 2.5kg ish , efficient, powerful, runs cool, but pulls 9000rpm so needs a double drop transmission so is a bit noisy up high. The motor is nice and open for cooling but a bit open to damage, this can be sorted fairly easy but is still a very expensive option.

We don't tend to link Kick scooters with performance. My brother in law, Pickle had a small mongoose brand scooter with 16" wheels and I had a spare 16" wheeled hub motor, 18 fet controller and 80 volt pack. So after a bit off welding to mount the 24S of a123's and electrical tape it was up and running. The small 16"wheels and high volts gave better acceleration off the line than my 8kw downhill bike! It was named Skootzilla and was always just leaning against the garage wall ready to step on and go for a very quick run to the shops or initiate ignorant non electric believers. It just felt like electric wheels for your feet. The small controller was quickly upgraded to a 24 fet controller and the long black wheel spin marks are still on the drive way a year later. Power drifting on damp grass at the oval was fantastic, if you could link a couple of 100 meter power drifts together it was really fun, and if it dug in and you high sided you just step off at speed with out being tangled in bike frame and pedals. But doing wheelies standing side saddle just feels wrong! I live on a yacht so with other yachties after a few sundowners we all looked forward to a bit of low tide speedway action on the hard sand. I decommissioned it after another broken rear wheel and we all sort of miss the silliness that was scootzilla.

This Golden Motors 3KW axial flux motor is not anything like the Joby or Plentenberg etc. You order one for $300 and it shows up that week. It has hall sensors installed, a low pole count so any of cheap controllers can run it at speed. It has a beefy steel shaft to mount a drive sprocket on instead of a aeroplane propeller mount. It is sealed up for daily dirty use/abuse. It comes with a small ineffectual looking fan or just tick the box for water cooling for a few extra US Peso's. It weighs in at a porky 7.4KG But if you got real serious and through away the motor housing and run the whole lot out in the open with a counter levered rotor etc you might get close to 5kg. I spun it up on 80volts with a little 18fet infinion controller and plotted the RPM verse no load losses at a few rpm points using a laser tach and cycle analyst with a external shunt. I will dig up and load the graph tomorrow .
View attachment 3kW 48V wind Golden Motors Axial Flux Motor tested at 80V.pdf

Thanks for the info Zappy, I've been wondering about those. The no load data is great. Can you measure the phase-to-phase resistance too, which tells us the copper losses to estimate current handling? Include Kv, which also tells us torque per amp, and we've got a full view of motor potential.

John

Yes John , The kv is very close to 100rpm/volt and I should have put up the phase / phase resistance but I lost the scrap of paper and the motor and chassis is in a 3rd world country now. So that is very unhelpful. :oops:
So the motor pulled about 8000rpm at 80volts for an extended period of time with out flinging the magnets off, the motor was smooth and would throttle down to a crawl and I thought this could be fun on something, anything, a quick dirty chassis to use, something dumb and simple like a, like a scooter!
Any way I thought I would dissect the motor before I started to build anything for it.
IMG_20141023_100829.jpg
DSCF6567.jpg
Maybe this is why golden motors discourages prying eyes. We may see their lack of attention. I soldered these couple of broken strands up and it should all be OK.
DSCF6556.jpg

The motor core is about 4.7kg . So a fair bit of weight could be lost by discarding a lot of the motor chassis, if you can be bothered trying that hard. You could also make a aluminium centre hub to mount the magnetic disk/backing iron.
IMG_20141023_161956.jpg
The small integral fan starts to move a bit of air at 8000rpm and is relatively quiet. This heat sink plate is bolted directly to the base of the stator with 4 X M8 cap screws and a LOT! of heat sink paste.
View attachment 2
The core is fairly thin and could be mounted in skinny spaces. It runs around a 1mm air gap when assembled.
DSCF6553.jpg
The magnetic rotor is fairly beefy solid steel. The magnets are glued, screwed, and have a small recess in the backing iron.
DSCF6573.jpg

The backing iron shows some flux leakage in the high tech ( look the cap screw sticks to it ) test.
DSCF6562.jpg
The stator laminations are .5mm thick
DSCF6569.jpg
Rotor pole and weight
DSCF6571.jpg

I am the 1st to admit scootzilla was crap and dangerous. It had 6000w, light switch type throttle control, a steep steering head angle, short wheelbase and cable rim caliper brakes operating on a plastic front wheel and my mates weigh up to 140kg and had 10 beers under their belt! I think the fact it felt dangerous, so was treated with a little respect and also the ability to "abandon ship" when the front dug in to very soft sand on the beach saved others. Both rear wheels were busted from the scooter taking off, and the rider being left behind and then the scooter flipped damaging the rim. The skinny rear tyres also only lasted several charges before being down to canvas. So we needed a better replacement and use this little motor.

Scootzilla 2!
Improvements over old model
Man sized so you don't feel like a clown riding it
Quality 10" White wall soft compound racing Vespa tyres (from the proud speed centre of Slovenia!) mounted on motorbike rims
Marine grade aluminium plate construction (I wonder where that came from?)
3KG less battery weight(latest Samsung 18650 25r’s) mounted low in weather tight compartment for all season racing
Quick change Racing kart chain and sprockets (speeds to suit all basements, beeches, freeways!)
Brake levers are actually connected to something (hydraulic 2 piston motorcycle callipers front and back)
Bamboo foot plate(for hipster eco cred.)
Axial flux motor does 8000rpm compared to hub motors 700rpm
Fan forced motor for prolonged abuse
Controller is twice as big for twice the phase amps for twice the torque!
Kelly with Torque based throttle for more intuitive wheel spin modulation
Wheelbase is now longer than a roller skate, with motor bike type geometry for high speed stability
Handle bars/ forks are welded triple grip one piece design so they do not bend under enthusiastic use
It has to weigh under 30kg(for Thai airways max luggage) and fit in my suit case to take back to my little brother in Laos for his daily commuter ride to his favourite soup shop.
Faster than the locals petrol scooters
Options: A discreet(?) wheelie bar, with small wheel
Wicker shopping basket
Rear mud guard to reduce mud/melted tyre sticking to you leg

Aluminim plate cut and folded for battery box. I placed the battery forward and low, having a large cross section, it will form a very stiff structure for the head tube. The 75mm X 25mm chassis tubes will hang off this.
IMG_20150323_193752.jpg
Shows how the wheel, motor, and controller fit between chassis rails. note the bamboo flooring
IMG_20150325_215213.jpg
These are not the forks being used. I made some custom triple grip type from scratch with cruiser type handle bars.

The gear ratio is 14t to 98T to start with and should give around 70km/hr top speed with good acceleration.
IMG_20150325_215057.jpg

IMG_20150324_195438.jpg

View attachment 1
Thanks to Pickle for letting me make a mess in his man cave, baby sitting my old lathe and welder and always helping out. He's funny too.
IMG_20150324_195231.jpg

Nice scooter Zappy!
I welded up a light weight kick scooter with 26" front wheel and 20" on the back. I love it- it's soo much fun bombing down the local trails. But like how your 1st scooter sounds, it'd be a bit dangerous to power up. I love your second gen scooter- I'd like to do something similar one day ( dreamer!)
Keep us posted on how she goes, and keep up the good work!
Kdog

wow, man.. what happened with this?

Back