Spooky tooth death race 2010

dogman said:
Safe doesn't have a wattmeter? I bet he will be pretty suprised when he learns that his 1000 watt race bike is a 1500 watt bike. :lol:

Actually i had the exact same controller he uses on my trike it is good for around 4000watt before it popped. Safes ain't stock either.

Thud said:
IIRC Safe's stated he hit his highest speed of 50mph on a down hill section of road he frequents.

Actually if you read through the 500watt thread he claims a top speed of 62mph with one of his reqound motors
supposedly using less than 2500watt to do so.

I just can't see how you could possibly find this fun Thud with your past AMA racing experience, limit your bike to 1000watt
and go for a ride today Thud then come back and tell me it will be a fun race. Explain something else to me too if you can, He's
using the 1000watt because in his opinion the ebike federal law measured e-bike output at the back wheel, says
nothing about that in the law at all, in fact it says motor output must not exceed 750watt. So if he want's it
"legal" he needs to drop to 750watt output on the motor not the rear wheel.<--dare you to raise that point with him Thud :lol:
Been there done that in the past.

Im cool with you thinking i 'sound like safe' (not sure how/why should i add some made up graphs?) :mrgreen:
IMO it's far better than wasting time and money on a bike i could wheel faster than in my wheelchair :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Guess i miffed your wasting time on this bike rather than building a ball tearing carbon fibered dual rc motored beast so don't
mind me mate, i'll have my money on you FTW...

Best of luck guyz.

KiM.

EDIT:

ok so i checked Motoeredbikes, i see you and dogman and safe interested, and on this sight :shock: you and dogman, least you
will all make the podium (if you finish) :mrgreen: I guess thats not bad, in 4 years of spamming his EBRR crap on everyones thread here
and at MBC he didn't get a single soul interested you must be his best new mates now haha :mrgreen:

Knuckles said:
dogman said:
Might be Safe, Thud, and myself running in a 1000 watt class.
I miss "safe". :cry:

Me too...like a hole in the head :lol: Go join up over at moterebikes.com he
has dozens of pages of him posting to himself in his own threads in the electrical section.

KiM

now now John :lol: Safes your buddy, i hear you and him are planing a road trip to the Death Race next year? :wink: :p :mrgreen:

Thudmiester, just for shits and giggles I had a play with my throttle interface current limiter this morning
before heading upto the bakery, set it
pretty near to get a 1000watt output on the meter (was actually tad over ~1050watt) I managed a mammoth 25km/hr was exciting
stuff :p was on a slight up hill gradient and i was towing my wheelchair i doubt on the flat though i could break 30
clicks guess i need me some clamp ons and a "Safe super slippery fairing" to up that to 50mph :lol: Just glad i
took the allen key with me to whip the top off the battery enclosure so i could turn the current limiter off for
the trip home maxxed out at ~5900watts on the return trip :mrgreen: i needs me a CC HV160 can't seem
to break the 6000watt mark :p

On the return trip home I had lil run against a Subaru Imprezza, i was on the cycleway comming up to a T-junction,
slightly in front of me and about to take off was the Imprezza, i rounded the corner and was even with the Subaru, driver looked
at me and i at him we both smilled/nodded as he planted his foot, I was a bike length ahead all the way to 45 clicks then he pulled away
and gave me a lil wave hehe got the blood going first thing in the morning, I Desperately need Mr Recumpences SiRs sprockets
my top end has dropped severely with the addition of the old scooter sprockets but DAMN the bike takes off like a scalded cat hahaa...
Geared up a bit i reckon i could hold most cars to 50-60clicks ...remembering thats with the wheelchair in tow too hehee
Must have been a freakin funny sight wobbly legged long haired me on a lecky bike towing a wheeliechair along
the path running with a Subaru hehee

KiM

i love reading all the posts here
i may try to bring my little bike with us to next yrs race for the stock racing stuff
sure hopin we get a legit ride for my son to use
it sounds like a great vacation trip
we did a 12mile ride though a state park tonight he hit 53 mph on a long downhill lol alittle over 45 for me all tucked in
we need to limit the stock class to riders over 50
lol a 23 yr old would kick our butts for a 12 lap race
well so he says

Aj,
I got here just as safe disapered. I never got to see any of the junk science info till just recently when looking through the archives & finding a few items that didn't quite fit. Still, I won't go out of my way to impress my ideas onto any one. I will follow my own path (mostly mimicing others & building on thier good ideas) Just like Mr Safe. We are prolly more alike than different. Am I a hopless optimist?.....I hope not :lol:
Personaly I think 6000watts would be far more apealing for on track starting point. Spec an astro motor & a turnigy equivilent & set the voltages for some wire smoking fun. Its still less power than a KTM 50sx minibike that 6 year olds have no problem handling.

It won't be the neck snaping, arm streatching, acceleration of 1000w racing that will be the thrill, It will be the chance to race another class (assuming we get a class.....4 hardley counts).& 1000w racing will be an elbow throwing brawl of tight competition potentialy. I hope no one has something to grab onto, cause I will reach out grab & PULL my way past someone if i get the oportunity. :lol: (another 65 watts of human power won't measure on the watt meter!) :shock:

Right now I am totaly focused on the ohio race. (look for an update tommorow night)Once that is past I will actually see what I can do with a 1000w
20" wheels, 100psi tires I will make a faring mold so duplicating should be easy enough....I am having fun....
every one loves 26" bikes but the frontal area is massive on the highboys. I will be flying low/long & thin.

I know it don't make any real sence...but in the big picture, what really does?

AussieJester said:
Me too...like a hole in the head :lol: Go join up over at moterebikes.com he
has dozens of pages of him posting to himself in his own threads in the electrical section.
I do that too, in my build threads. :p

Thud said:
Just like Mr Safe. We are prolly more alike than different.

Geezus Thudmiester don't even joke about that Johnrobholmes or YPedal MaNz will bounce you
quicker than you can say "a dingo took my baby!?@?!?$!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You are worlds apart my friend
Safe is a frugal type with limited tools and skillz, you on the other hand throw mega bucks at your projects and turn out
high quality product without a single graph made up of figures plucked from thin air :mrgreen: Your worlds apart buddy :wink:

KiM

:D :D :D :D . I miss arguing politics and economics with Safe too. I BET you don't miss the cleanup after Safe set off Tyler or somebody else to the point where it was straight to the cesspool. Over at motored bikes, nothing of the kind is tolerated.

Ever see Revenge of the Nerds? Remember the kids trike race? Still a freaking race and it's not the speed but the competition! I hope to have more than three of us riding a 1000 watt class next year so we can arrange for our own seperate heat. I bet I'll be slow with less streamline, but after ramming a better intrepretation of the 1000 watt rule though at least now somebody can just bring an Ebikekit or whatever on 48v and run it without anybody whining they are DQ'ed for having 1200 watts. We'll see top speeds of at least 27 mph from everybody riding non faired bikes. I can't see why 35 wouldn't be possible for a faired hub motor.

As I've said before, at the death race the rules will be made up on the spot by a vote of the people there and Safe will get one vote. So bring a stock infineon too Thud, and smoke the class for the win with a streamliner. Unless you send me a frame, I don't see my self having one. Maybe you could weld one up for first prize, and give it to the 2nd place finisher?

What makes some sense to me long term, would be a 1500 watt class. That way you could tweak an infineon 20 amp controller up, not down. Still uses "stock kit" stuff that is dirt cheap. Should be possible to see everybody cornering at 30 mph, which no shit, is close to the top speeds I saw anybody cornering that track. As you see in the video, they just ran away from me on the straights for the most part.

The 1500 watt Ebike should also run pretty competitive with the lightly modified gassers too. As the Death Race grows the gassers will start to need some seperating of the unlimited bikes from the ones with 30 mph top speeds just so the slower ones have something to race for besides 30th place. So an Ebike class that runs similar speeds to a gas bike with only exhaust mods makes a lot of sense to me, vs a 1000 watt class requiring a streamliner to compete. With the right rules, we could have a class where gas and electric run together, and are very closely matched, without anybody going broke on the bike.

A recent post on Safes thread is about a race memorial day. Not my cup of tea at all, that one. Too much like electrathon, with a watthour budget and penalties for exceeding it. In other words, a PEDALING contest a 50 year old is sure to lose. How fast can you pedal an Ebike with the motor off? Who cares?

Just catching up,
I guess I am glad I don't have all the history of the "Safe era" here.......not my cut of tea.
I did get a chuckle from this though:
Aussie Jester said:
you on the other hand throw mega bucks at your projects

Kim, I don't know what your looking at, but so far, I have only used scrap on my builds around here. (I have been spending $150 a month on Lipo for awhile :wink: ) Amberwolf & I are prolly twins seperated at birth LOL! I confess that I have acumilated some proper equipment over the years, A good Lathe, a weak Mill, all the welders any one could use, A foundry,& the willingness to learn how to use the stuff & I am never afraid to spend money for tools.
Just the same, Thanks for the props. I doubt I will ever fab a creation as "pretty" as your cruzer. You my friend, are on a level WAY above me in that regard.

I am just now learning a little electronics to add to the time burden. If I ever figure out how to make some pie charts & line graphs...LOOK OUT!
Then we can get on to the real issues.....Like Over-Unity power systems & peace in the middle east. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dogman wrote:
Maybe you could weld one up for first prize
Fantasic idea! I have been thinking of some way to contribute. A base frame for someone to build on would be a cool prize. No?

That sounds fun but to me I really like the idea of no holds barred competition, no rules, just a pedal bike and maybe a tire max size to keep them from running 4cylinder street bike engines! I think the unlimited style electric bikes could hang with anything they can put together as long as they don't do like 50 laps or something. I mean you could run one of the full size street bike hub motors with 10-12000 watts and a sh!t ton of Lipo batts if you really wanted to beat them bad! I don't know, I like the idea of beating them at their own game!

Aussie Jester said:

Maybe you could weld one up for first prize
Fantasic idea! I have been thinking of some way to contribute. A base frame for someone to build on would be a cool prize. No?[/quote]

I think that is a cool idea for sure...most cant weld/fab like we can, I think helping the community is great!

And then the next year that frame comes back, running one controller in the 1000 watt class, then spanking some ass in the Death race with 3-5k watts! A frame for a prize for the 1000 watt, and lipo for a prize for the unlimited class fastest Ebike makes some sense to me.

Frames are easy to ship too, if you get really good at making them. I might even have to take a crack at stretching a 26" one myself. But my welder is strictly a toy, so I'd have to hire the welding.

Pics of your frame yet? How are you stretching them, lengtnening the front or the back? It seems to me like cutting the front triangle in half, and then inserting a tube there would work. You'd put an s curve into the tube to keep fork angles the same. The other method that comes to mind is putting a seat stay extension on the back, by adding a second set of tubes that connect with plates for gussets. That would give you 10" for battery right along the seat tube. Seems like ideally you'd do both, to keep the seat in the center, but you could just mount the seat back behind the seat tube with a few more bits welded on to attach it low as possible.

dogman,
didn't you see this thread?
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18578

I built the frame by chopping some scrap bikes I have laying around. Between wife #2 & myself we have 6 kids & all their bikes form over the years. I ma fininishin wheel lacing tonight.

My tires were supposed to come today......I got a box of bigg tires I didn't order uuhggg, went to the LBS & they had some lovely 24 x 1.375" white walls.......not K-rads I wanted for the clay track
I'll save the rest for that thread.

Thud said:
Kim, I don't know what your looking at, but so far, I have only used scrap on my builds around here. (I have been spending $150 a month on Lipo for awhile :wink: )

That would be close to Safes yearly expenditure on ebikes Thud. LoL Compared to him yor a multi millionaire :mrgreen:
RC motors RC ESC/Infineon controllers lipos haha Safes using 4 year old SLAs brushed motors and 30 dollar speed controllers from TNC Scooters, he's even to cheap to buy a Watts Up meter! As for tools, Safe has a OXY Acytelene welder and an angle grinder OH and a drill...lil less than me i have a bench drill and a linisher but close haha he will be hard to beat though Thud with you and DogMaN the only ones actually capped at 1000watt :mrgreen:

KiM

I want one designed by SAFE!
Bicycle Powered Washing Machine!

[youtube]Fktpd1ymE8A[/youtube]

BUT ... I need to do the WASH during the DEATH RACE at 2.5 KW!

skull-and-bones.jpg

Knuckles said:
I want one designed by SAFE! Bicycle Powered Washing Machine

BUT ... I need to do the WASH during the DEATH RACE at 2.5 KW!

Safes would either spin itself to pieces or your clothes would come out ripped to shreads and
a shade of pink that appeals to HiGHSiDE Hyena. :mrgreen:

KiM

EDIT: Thudster and DoGmAnz i had a idea, remove your Wattsup or Cycle Analyst and draw up a rough graph showing 1000watt output and present it to Safe make sure neither the x/y axis of your graph is labelled you must have heat output and rpm line squiggle it anywhere really doesn't matter where it goes :p just make sure it looks as meaningless as possible, this will make it look more authentic in Safes eyes, then you can run whatever the hell you like, works for him :lol:

Actually, if an ebiker could win/place/show in 2011 while doing the laundry during the race that'd be kinda cool...
hehe

DAM anybody want to sponsor me for one of these!??
http://www.enertrac.net/product.php#c
I PROMISE I will make the race! I will OWN their a$$es with this baby!! My bike will be custom built so it can be made to fit and with this one, I can do easy 45MPH and ROCKET out of the corners with 30K watts!!! Hell I could cruise around the corners and then BLOW past them in the straights! LOL!

Hey....a guy can dream right.......?!

Whiplash said:
DAM anybody want to sponsor me for one of these!??
http://www.enertrac.net/product.php#c
I PROMISE I will make the race! I will OWN their a$$es with this baby!! My bike will be custom built so it can be made to fit and with this one, I can do easy 45MPH and ROCKET out of the corners with 30K watts!!! Hell I could cruise around the corners and then BLOW past them in the straights! LOL!

Hey....a guy can dream right.......?!

His shop is just 12 miles from my pad! Good ol' Mark.
(Midnight Raid? ... NO ... That would be WRONG!)

Hook a brother up!!

Back