Tsdz2 firmware open source adapted to vlcd5, vlcd6 and xh18

Elinx said:
Nice to see another bluetooth-android interface for OSF version :thumb:
Thank you!

Elinx said:
If I understand well:

-Build a simple BT interface pcb based on HC-05 and connect this with the controller
Yes. But that's a kind of first version was. I've been using it already built into the controller. The main reason was that there's +5v so no need for the voltage regulator. Which makes lots heat and so I found it not a 100% sure solution.
What I also found that active (which sends uart to motor) can one time only one display be. Therefore as I wanted to use the stock display as well I've built a switch that either XH-18 or BT is the active. Passive (receiving uart from motor) can be both at the same time.

Elinx said:
-Replace original mbrusa "ebike_app.c" from v.0.20.C1 for your version
Well, as it was a copy of some days ago version it is better to add the parts noted with "//ebmDisplay patch" into the actual rather than just use the "ebike_app.c" from there.

Elinx said:
-Flash controller with Java configurator from mbrusa
-Download and install your Android app ebmDisplay
-Connect BT with smartphone and go
Yes.

Elinx said:
Questions:

-Which Voltage regulator have you used with the HC05?
Well, I've just looked after. It was labelled as "DC-DC Buck Step Down Converter Regulator Module ". But as I've written it's better not to use it but find +5v from the controller.

Elinx said:
-Is the stock display still needed?
This because it looks that the BT interface comes instead of the display, but on youtube I see the display too, so BT pcb could be in parrallel with display.
Well, the controller can be enabled with a short on "V_BATT" and "ENABLE" and so no need for stock display.
However I just like the stock display. It's kind of safety as well if the phone/bt would not work.
And as both can be passive at the same time it's possible to view them parallel. But active only one can be at the same time.

feketehegyi said:
Yes. But that's a kind of first version was. I've been using it already built into the controller. The main reason was that there's +5v so no need for the voltage regulator. ....
Because you have minimal documentation, I found only this version of the BT interface. If it is build it within the cotroller case, only the HC05 module is needed.

feketehegyi said:
Well, as it was a copy of some days ago version
Because you only refer to mbrusa github, I didn't know which version you have used. With comparing the different ebike_app.c of the mbrusa versions I found it was mbrusa build v0.20.C1, all other version differ.

feketehegyi said:
.. "DC-DC Buck Step Down Converter Regulator Module ". ....
I thought this already but step down from 52V to 5V give as you said already a lot of heat. That was the reason I asked.

feketehegyi said:
...controller can be enabled with a short on "V_BATT" and "ENABLE"...
However I just like the stock display. It's kind of safety as well if the phone/bt would not work.
And as both can be passive at the same time .... active only one can be at the same time.
Thanks, how is activation from display or phone done? Automatic if connected to BT?

Questions:
I know you have made a lot of youtube video's about this BT interface and some more for Tsdz2 (sprag clutch).
But it looks you have made the most invisible or deleted. Have you done this with a reason?

Elinx said:
Because you only refer to mbrusa github, I didn't know which version you have used. With comparing the different ebike_app.c of the mbrusa versions I found it was mbrusa build v0.20.C1, all other version differ.
Yes, you're right. I've just made it clear there. Thank you!

Elinx said:
Thanks, how is activation from display or phone done? Automatic if connected to BT?
I use a switch which selects if display or bt is the active (switch tx line to motor between them).

Elinx said:
Questions:
I know you have made a lot of youtube video's about this BT interface and some more for Tsdz2 (sprag clutch).
But it looks you have made the most invisible or deleted. Have you done this with a reason?
Well, yes - I've decided focusing rather on the Android app.

feketehegyi said:
Well, yes - I've decided focusing rather on the Android app.
Ok, I understand, but that means that a lot of information about this BT interface isn't findable anymore.
If you delete only the meta tags of these older video's it is possible to find them if you look at "all videos" on your account, but with searching isn't.

Hello, I purchased an SW102 from Electrify Bike that is said to work with TSDZ2. My understanding is that other people have gotten this firmware to work with it out of the box.

My question is, which fork should I use for this, the VLCD5, VLCD6, XH18 version? Or the 850C, 860C, SW102 version?

If the former, which display do I select in the Java Configurator? My attempts so far have all resulted in error 30 on the display after ~30 seconds.

Wondering if it is also possible that this display is not set up with the TSDZ2 specific communication protocol, or if it could just be busted / DOA. I know on other displays, error 30 is sometimes a permanent communication error. I am considering purchasing a SW102 from Eco Cycles that also claims to use TSDZ2 specific protocol

If anyone has any insight they could share on this, I would appreciate the help.

speedstermcgee said:
Hello, I purchased an SW102 from Electrify Bike that is said to work with TSDZ2. My understanding is that other people have gotten this firmware to work with it out of the box......
I have looked on both webshops, but it looks Electrify Bike sells just one type SW102 for Bafang and Tsdz2 and refer only to another cable. Nothing said about other differences like firmware or protocol.
Eco Cycles sells 2 types of SW102, one for Tsdz2 and one for Bafang and mention expliciet the firmwares.

I think your SW102 is a Bafang type and you must flash the display too and can't use the java configurator, but only the 850C version.
If it was possible to use the java configurator the choice of the display isn't that important in the first place. It should be working always. The differences between the displays have to do with the number of battery bars and E0x notifications.
I think the best choice should be vlcd5 (6 bars)

Elinx said:
speedstermcgee said:
Hello, I purchased an SW102 from Electrify Bike that is said to work with TSDZ2. My understanding is that other people have gotten this firmware to work with it out of the box......
I have looked on both webshops, but it looks Electrify Bike sells just one type SW102 for Bafang and Tsdz2 and refer only to another cable. Nothing said about other differences like firmware or protocol.
Eco Cycles sells 2 types of SW102, one for Tsdz2 and one for Bafang and mention expliciet the firmwares.

I think your SW102 is a Bafang type and you must flash the display too and can't use the java configurator, but only the 850C version.
If it was possible to use the java configurator the choice of the display isn't that important in the first place. It should be working always. The differences between the displays have to do with the number of battery bars and E0x notifications.
I think the best choice should be vlcd5 (6 bars)

Thank you for the info!

I think you are probably right regarding the preloaded firmware, I'll go for the Eco Cycles TSDZ2 version and try again. Weird thing is that the Electrify Bike version didn't work, even with stock programming, so a word of warning for anyone who is drawn by the lower price tag at Electrify Bike.

I'll verify back here with my results for anyone else seeking a minimalist display with better performance, without cutting anything open :wink:

speedstermcgee said:
....Weird thing is that the Electrify Bike version didn't work, even with stock programming, ....
Ofcourse it doesn't work with Tsdz2 stock programming, if the display is for Bafang.
They refer only to a 8pin cable for Tsdz2, but "forgotten" to mention to flash OSF first.

But what are you planning with that display? Sell it, or brake&flash it?

Elinx said:
speedstermcgee said:
....Weird thing is that the Electrify Bike version didn't work, even with stock programming, ....
Ofcourse it doesn't work with Tsdz2 stock programming, if the display is for Bafang.
The refer only to a 8pin cable for Tsdz2, but "forgotten" to mention to flash OSF first.

But what are you planning with that display? Sell it or brake&flash it?

Ideally i will return it or get a replacement if it was a mistake on their part. They list this display in their "TSDZ2 - Parts" section, not the "TSDZ2 - OSF Parts" and make no mention of OSF on the product page, so I think the implication is it should work on a stock TSDZ2

I have contacted them and will see what they say about it. They stock a lot of the same parts as Eco Cycles and maintain documentation about flashing OSF, so I still think it is possible they have SW102's with the tsdz2 protocol, but you may be right that they are all bafang displays

speedstermcgee said:
....Ideally i will return it or get a replacement if it was a mistake on their part. ....
This is indeed the most ideal way, otherwise maybe a return with refund.
If not, you can decide to try the brake&flash of it, before buying another SW102

I'm getting 'Error E08' after around 1 mins of using the throttle. v20.1C.1

After around 1-2 mins while using throttle I get 'Error E08' and the motor shuts down.
Power down rectifies it, but it just happens again.
It doesn't seem to be a battery power issue as changed batteries, etc. I've not found any combination of settings that prevents the E08 error shutdown.
Any very low throttle power level and ease of power use still gives the error.

Reverting back to stock factory firmware 100% fixes the issue with no problem at all.

I know that E08 seems to be a battery power issue, but I can't see that as being the actual problem as having checked wiring, changed batteries, and besides the issue doesn't happen when I went back to the stock firmware.

(Note that my bike is in a stand and I am NOT pedalling at the time.)
With VLCD 5 (modified direct wiring to motor controller for the throttle wiring).

Artypete said:
I'm getting 'Error E08' after around 1 mins of using the throttle. v20.1C.1...
Error E08 is for the speedsensor with v.0.20.1C.1

See the manual:
"E08 - ERROR_SPEED_SENSOR
Faulty speed sensor or magnet too far away.
"

If you want to keep the motor running with this problem, you can enable "Assist with sensors error" (tab 2 and L4-E04 on display), but the speed and odo wil not be secure or not working.

This E08 problem should be less with v0.20.1C.3New
changelog:
"Speed sensor error threshold time increased (E08)"

FYI:
(E08 was "Low Battery" for stock FW and "Over Voltage" for v0.20.1B)

Thanks, that's sorted it - no more cut out on throttle. I'm just starting to work out how the display codes work.

mbrusa said:
IMPORTANT NOTICE
There have been three reports of controller burned with v20.1C.3 version for VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18 series displays, it may not be random.
As a precaution, I have decided to withdraw it until I have identified the possible cause.
I invite all users of this version, v20.1C.3 for standard displays, to uninstall it immediately and return to version v20.1C, even those who have not had problems.

I've also just burned my controller. I was using v20.1C.3-NEW. Looks like the two central MOSFETS (blue motor wire) are short circuit. This happened the instant I powered the system up. Note that this was for a 6-pin controller; I've assumed that the hardware was the same as for the 8-pin with just the connections to the screen etc different.

ajwilliams10 said:
I've also just burned my controller. I was using v20.1C.3-NEW. Looks like the two central MOSFETS (blue motor wire) are short circuit. This happened the instant I powered the system up. Note that this was for a 6-pin controller; I've assumed that the hardware was the same as for the 8-pin with just the connections to the screen etc different.
Exactly the same blue phase wire mosfets are dead here as well. I was using v20.1C.3-NEW with some own patch at UART. I was not sure yet if maybe my patch has ruined it. But after reading your comment I'm pretty sure it is due to this version rather.
I was riding it already for 30 minutes or so and then I've decided to change assist level. At this point it has went wrong.

Hello all,
I installed the emmebrusa firmware yesterday on my 48v 500w motor.
I only tested it on few kilometres and it went fine.

Today, went one a bikepaking trip for 15 days. After few kilometers (~15km), during a break, the motor shut down and I was unable to turn it on. I switched off and on the battery and was able to restart the motor.
It happened again 4/5 times. At some point, it briefly showed an E04 error code but it disappeared.
A bit later, while I was riding, the motor shut down and I'm now completetly unable to turn it on, even after long time and unpluggin the battery.

I don't have laptop nor st-link with me so I'm unable to flash the motor.

Is there anything I could do ?

Thanks a lot

feketehegyi said:
ajwilliams10 said:
Exactly the same blue phase wire mosfets are dead here as well. I was using v20.1C.3-NEW with some own patch at UART. I was not sure yet if maybe my patch has ruined it. But after reading your comment I'm pretty sure it is due to this version rather.
I was riding it already for 30 minutes or so and then I've decided to change assist level. At this point it has went wrong.
Sorry to read about these inconveniences, I have been using v20.1C.3-NEW on two bikes with XH18 display and 36V motor for more than a month and have considered it safe.
Maybe there are problems with 48V motors?
@ ajwilliams10, @feketehegyi, can you tell which motor it happened with, 36V or 48V?
As a precaution I recommend using v20.1C.1 with stock displays.

Sorry to read about these inconveniences, I have been using v20.1C.3-NEW on two bikes with XH18 display and 36V motor for more than a month and have considered it safe.
@ ajwilliams10, @feketehegyi, can you tell which motor it happened with, 36V or 48V?
Mine is a 36V motor with VLCD5 display, controller pcb dated late 2014.
I've cut out the offending MOSFETs, reprogrammed the controller with the stock firmware from eco-bike.com and successfully powered the system back up. Will also try the the v20.1C.1 and see how that goes. As soon as replacement MOSFETs arrive from China (only $5 but 25 days delivery to NZ, gah!) I'm hoping that we'll be as good as new.

ajwilliams10 said:
Mine is a 36V motor with VLCD5 display, controller pcb dated late 2014.
I've cut out the offending MOSFETs, reprogrammed the controller with the stock firmware from eco-bike.com and successfully powered the system back up. Will also try the the v20.1C.1 and see how that goes. As soon as replacement MOSFETs arrive from China (only $5 but 25 days delivery to NZ, gah!) I'm hoping that we'll be as good as new.

Mine was 36V motor with 48v battery and XH-18 and bluetooth and Android app and patched v20.1C.3-NEW :).
Unfortunately I've soldered out the mosfets instead of cut the legs. Then I found at home some N ones but it does not work with them. I'm not sure if these alternative mosfets or my bad soldering but still does not move the motor. If I would only cut the legs then it could be much better regarding the soldering. Have you also read "K80E08K3" on the mosfets?
Anyway my new controller is also on the way from China already. Btw, as this has happened to I was playing with the motor and a sensorless bldc controller too. :) Was working with.

You are getting the controller shipped from China? Where are you? Stateside this is a better option. I don't know if they ship internationally.

https://www.electrifybike.com/collections/tsdz2-osf-parts/products/tsdz2-controller-8-pin-female-connector

feketehegyi said:
Anyway my new controller is also on the way from China already. Btw, as this has happened to I was playing with the motor and a sensorless bldc controller too. :) Was working with.

raylo32 said:
You are getting the controller shipped from China? Where are you? Stateside this is a better option. I don't know if they ship internationally.

https://www.electrifybike.com/collections/tsdz2-osf-parts/products/tsdz2-controller-8-pin-female-connector

You are right, that's really a good price. I'm in EU, Hungary. I was lucky and found at a seller on ebay for this price:
Order total
Subtotal US $41.71
Item discount -US $5.84
Shipping Free
VAT* US $9.68
Total US $45.55

Not bad... hope it doesn't take too long to get there. At these prices might be good to get an extra to keep around as a spare.

feketehegyi said:
raylo32 said:

You are right, that's really a good price. I'm in EU, Hungary. I was lucky and found at a seller on ebay for this price:
Order total
Subtotal US $41.71
Item discount -US $5.84
Shipping Free
VAT* US $9.68
Total US $45.55

Anyone ? Should I send it back for warranty ?

theflyingjaguar said:
Hello all,
I installed the emmebrusa firmware yesterday on my 48v 500w motor.
I only tested it on few kilometres and it went fine.

Today, went one a bikepaking trip for 15 days. After few kilometers (~15km), during a break, the motor shut down and I was unable to turn it on. I switched off and on the battery and was able to restart the motor.
It happened again 4/5 times. At some point, it briefly showed an E04 error code but it disappeared.
A bit later, while I was riding, the motor shut down and I'm now completetly unable to turn it on, even after long time and unpluggin the battery.

I don't have laptop nor st-link with me so I'm unable to flash the motor.

Is there anything I could do ?

Thanks a lot

Back