Tsdz2 firmware open source adapted to vlcd5, vlcd6 and xh18

Just wanted to thank you for doing this firmware , it makes a great difference
:thumb:

Hi, I seem to have this firmware in my motor (bought the motor kit with firmware already flashed, the settings with VLCD5 work as described in this firmware, so I suppose it's this one), and I have this problem, which I don't understand: When pedaling the display shows the correct speed, but occasionally it goes to 00.0kmph, for a second, and then returns to normal speed. When riding uphill it is more frequent (sometimes 3-4 times every minute) and the display sometimes goes to 99.9 instead of 00.0.
When it shows 99.9 the motor stops assisting, and assists again when the display returns to the correct speed.
When it shows 00.0 and my speed is above 25kmph in street mode, the motor will pull for the time the 00.0 is shown.

I know about the compensation for battery level display when turning on, but this doesn't seem like it. It does that even after half an hour of riding, and the compensation should have been done in a few minutes max.

This makes me think the issue is with the motor controller, not with the display.
No error appears on the display at all, so I don't think any sensor is faulty.

Was there a version with such issues before? I will try to flash the newest version, but I am waiting for the cable for now. I bought the motor this year, so the firmware should be fairly new (the seller asked if I wanted the stock or alternative firmware).

kaziq said:
.... When pedaling the display shows the correct speed, but occasionally it goes to 00.0kmph, for a second, and then returns to normal speed. When riding uphill it is more frequent (sometimes 3-4 times every minute) and the display sometimes goes to 99.9 instead of 00.0.
When it shows 99.9 the motor stops assisting, and assists again when the display returns to the correct speed.
When it shows 00.0 and my speed is above 25kmph in street mode, the motor will pull for the time the 00.0 is shown. .....
99.9 is the percentage of the battery capacity.
00.0 is the within the time the OSF need to compensate the odometer.
This because all data readings are measured as "speedlevel" on the display.
So if you measure 99.9 capacity fot 5 seconds, you need 20 seconds to compensate if you ride with a speed of 25km/h or even 50 seconds when driving only 10km/h. All this time the display shows 00.0km/h till the 5seconds is compensated.

The strange point is you say that the motorassist stops. This could be a bad speedsensor distance. This gives also 00.0km/h, but without assistence.
The 99.9 comes up when you switch on the display or the lights

Elinx said:
99.9 is the percentage of the battery capacity 00.0 is the within the time the OSF need to compensate the odometer.
This because all data readings are measured as "speedlevel" on the display.
So if you measure 99.9 capacity fot 5 seconds, you need 20 seconds to compensate if you ride with a speed of 25km/h or even 50 seconds when driving only 10km/h. All this time the display shows 00.0km/h till the 5seconds is compensated.

The strange point is you say that the motorassist stops. This could be a bad speedsensor distance. This gives also 00.0km/h, but without assistence.
The 99.9 comes up when you switch on the display or the lights
Thank you, I know it shows battery percentage when turning the display on, and that it needs to be compensated. The problem is that it keeps showing 99.9 and 00.0 for a whole 3-hour ride every minute or two (more often when riding uphill). I would suspect showing battery percentage occasionally, but after one some kilometers it shouldn't be at 99.9 percent any more.

kaziq said:
....The problem is that it keeps showing 99.9 and 00.0 for a whole 3-hour .... I would suspect showing battery percentage occasionally, but after one some kilometers it shouldn't be at 99.9 percent any more.
You are right. This isn't normal behaviour. In the first place I should look at the speedsensor and bad connections.

I had similar problem with reading speed sensor. It was with the original firmware and the help was seting distance speedsensor. It was wery near the magnet.

kadleca said:
I had similar problem with reading speed sensor. It was with the original firmware and the help was seting distance speedsensor. It was wery near the magnet.
Mine is near the magnet too, because I thought it should be as near as possible. I will try to move it away then.

Moving the magnet away worked. Now the display shows the speed all the time. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have another question: My display is VLCD6. According to the manual, when I change a parameter the parameter, the new value should be displayed alternately with the parameter code. For example when I want to enable street mode, I set assistance level 1, then press Power button twice, and the display should show blinking "E02" and the new street mode value alternately in the leftmost digit of the speed field, right? I.E. the display should show "E02" for half second, then "10.0" for half second, and so on. Am I understanding this correctly?

I'm asking, because while the street mode enable/disable works, I cannot make the display to show the new value. After changing the setting the display always flashes "00.0" alternately with "E02", regardless of whether I have disabled or enabled the street mode. The same is for all other settings - it's always "00.0", not the actual value of the parameter. Do you have an idea what could be wrong?

Firmware upgrade i am looking to update the osd with emmebrusa software.
My setup is 48v battery with vlcd6 with a throttle. If anyone has the same setups could they send me any screenshots of there setups. I am looking to ride on cyclepaths only and my wheel size is 700c. I do not have any brake cut offs or brake sensors. Any help much appreciated.

Suggy said:
... emmebrusa software.
.... If anyone has the same setups could they send me any screenshots of there setups. ....
I think it will be better to share your setup and we give feedback and comment it for strange choices and impossibilities.
Otherwise we give feedback on another userconfiguration.
You can play with the configurator and save you configurations without flashing.
Use the configuration manual which is with the download.

I have 750w motor with 48v battery and i am using the vlcd6 display with a throttle and i have 700c wheels. I do not have any brake sensors or cut offs.
Can someone please check my settings. thank you
Capture.JPG

Suggy said:
I have 750w motor with 48v battery and i am using the vlcd6 display with a throttle and i have 700c wheels. I do not have any brake sensors or cut offs.
Can someone please check my settings
2300mm for 700C is possible but looks a bit high for me, have you measured the circumfence of the tire?
17A is a bit high too, 13A should be better balanced with 500W max
(Almost empty battery 40Vx13A= 520W)
If you want to keep max current 17A, increase power to 680W, but only if you have a temperature sensor and/or heat dissipation additions.
You have changed Boost default values to 500/8, but not enabled the boost function
With disabled Odometer compensation, the traveled distance will not be secure if you have enabled soc% or V on advanced settings tab.

I advice after flashing to do a torque sensor calibration for checking the torque sensor sensitivty.
If the range is below 160 adc, enable "torque sensor adv. at startup" "torque sensor calibrated" and insert the measured torque adc values.

Suggy said:
Can someone please check my settings. thank you
I add:
Min current adc step, it must be set to zero!
Startup boost torque factor, recommended 250 to 300.
Startup boost cadence step, recommended 20 to 25.
Startup boost is used only in Power mode.

Suggy said:
Thank you for reply
I forgot
You have changed "min current adc step" to 196, which is much too high. It must be 0, 1, 2 or 3.
As mbrusa said, keep it 0
You see these adviced values in a yellow frame with a "mouseover" the value box.
This works for other value boxes too.

Suggy said:
... i have gone for these settings........
I see you have brake sensors this time? At the first place you said, you hadn't

Wheelcircumference 700C (28inch) can't be 1360mm.
This size is for a 18inch wheel. (700C is between 2070-2260 dependent of tiresize)
You can use a size table, but more secure is to measure the real circumference.

Streetmode 48km/h-500W is almost the same as offroad 45km/h-500W, so imho you can disable streetmode.
I don't know about speed regulations for ebikes inside your country, but ebikes in EU are normally limited to 25km/h on public roads. The police regularly check this along the roads.

I put the brake sensors settings on because i wanted to use a throttle if it is unticked the option for throttle is greyed out.
Also i have changed the value of wheel circumference so the vlcd6 will give me mph instead of kmh because the vlcd6 does not support mph

Suggy said:
...brake sensors.... is unticked the option for throttle is greyed out.
...value of wheel circumference so the vlcd6 will give me mph instead of kmh ....
OK, I understand, never thought about that. In that case the distance will also be miles.
I can't forsee other consequences with such a manipulation of the settngs.

The brake sensors are for security if you have a throttle.
I don't know if this works without the brake sensors

I have just tried the new java application with my settings i now getting error e0.2
I tried all sorts of different configurations but to no avail, So i have reprogrammed with an older java with a saved ini and now it is working ok. Is there something i am doing wrong

Just an update i have just used the latest firmware which was uploaded in the last couple of days and now it works :)

"8. optional for brave people who want to add more features themselves:"
Thank you! I found your project very cool. I was a great fan of original firmware what I've patched to meet my needs. (https://github.com/wptm/voamca) .
But now after I tried this kind of OSF out I've decided to use it regularly. What I was missing is my Android app called ebmDisplay. Therefore I've updated "ebike_app.c" slightly (https://github.com/wptm/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1_ebmDisplay-patch) to communicate like my patched original firmware.
If you are interested here's a video about testing it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6XIb4qMkDg .

Edit 2/Aug 2021:
I've removed the related links as after trying this really out with v20.1C.3-NEW my controller has went wrong. The blue motor phase wire mosfets are dead.

feketehegyi said:
.... for brave people who want to add more features themselves:".....
Nice to see another bluetooth-android interface for OSF version :thumb:

If I understand well:

-Build a simple BT interface pcb based on HC-05 and connect this with the controller
-Replace original mbrusa "ebike_app.c" from v.0.20.C1 for your version
-Flash controller with Java configurator from mbrusa
-Download and install your Android app ebmDisplay
-Connect BT with smartphone and go

Questions:

-Which Voltage regulator have you used with the HC05?
-Is the stock display still needed?
This because it looks that the BT interface comes instead of the display, but on youtube I see the display too, so BT pcb could be in parrallel with display.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT: jul 27 2021
Everything for OSF is removed, so most of the links don't work anymore.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back