Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

Hi Das,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have re attached the cable that goes into the display.

There's no voltage at the PAS red/green wires. Next step is checking the actual plugs to make sure no wires have come off inside.

I really hope I don't have to send this back...

Altair said:
Note that the display doesn't become active until at least 5-7 secs. have passed after switching ON.
Maybe you switched it off too soon.

Thanks, but yeah I waited a minute or so... still nothing.

andyjk said:
Hi Das,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have re attached the cable that goes into the display.

There's no voltage at the PAS red/green wires. Next step is checking the actual plugs to make sure no wires have come off inside.

I really hope I don't have to send this back...

Ok well that´s shitty....... That there is no voltage could only mean that no voltage comes into the controller as far as I know. When you have connected everything in your frame it could be possible that one of your soldering works weren´t good enough which could cause that there is no connection between battery and controller. :|

When I have connected everything for the first time, I have put everything just outside of the frame to be able to quickly check if there is something wrong with the connection.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Elias

PS: If you have WhatsApp, I can give you my number for some quick help for the future. Always happy if I can help someone out. :)

andyjk said:
Hi guys, I've just received an Adaptto Max-E from Artur at Vector Ebikes.. I spent most of the morning removing the Sabvoton controller in my Enduro Ebike and installing the Adaptto.

Everything is wired up and the battery is connected via the supplied circuit breaker, when I flip the circuit breaker I hear the normal arc you get when you make the battery connections but nothing is showing on the Adaptto display.

Also I wired my ignition keyswitch to the two wires hanging out the PAS connector. But it just doesn't work. :cry:

I'm measuring 81 V on the controller side of the circuit breaker so I know it's not a battery issue.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I've read most of this thread but a lot of problems just seem to mention about connecting the ignition switch wires which I've obviously done already.

Cheers,

Andy

Hello Andy,

I don't know if this will help but I'll tell you what happened with my first adaptto controller and I was really pissed off because I had to pay the shipping back to Russia and to wait for so many days plus the extra cost ive paid at the customs when the package came back to me.
So When all the connections were OK and I was ready for my first ride by accident the ignition wire went on controller's body and burned controllers brain so simple! There no protection at all for this. Let's hope that this didn't happen to you.

Yeah I agree, shitty is the word! Annoying as I ripped out the Sabvoton and changed all the connectors now :cry:

The motor and battery are on the bike frame, the rest is outside for testing, the power is getting to the wires going into the controller on the other side of the circuit breaker... that was my initial thought...

Thanks for the offer of WhatsApp please DM me your number, I've made a few good Ebike buddies via my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/andykdubs so it's always nice to chat to like minded guys :D

I wonder what could be wrong with this, as I say the switch arcs when I turn it on so the capacitors are charging...

icherouveim said:
andyjk said:
Hi guys, I've just received an Adaptto Max-E from Artur at Vector Ebikes.. I spent most of the morning removing the Sabvoton controller in my Enduro Ebike and installing the Adaptto.

Everything is wired up and the battery is connected via the supplied circuit breaker, when I flip the circuit breaker I hear the normal arc you get when you make the battery connections but nothing is showing on the Adaptto display.

Also I wired my ignition keyswitch to the two wires hanging out the PAS connector. But it just doesn't work. :cry:

I'm measuring 81 V on the controller side of the circuit breaker so I know it's not a battery issue.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I've read most of this thread but a lot of problems just seem to mention about connecting the ignition switch wires which I've obviously done already.

Cheers,

Andy

Hello Andy,

I don't know if this will help but I'll tell you what happened with my first adaptto controller and I was really pissed off because I had to pay the shipping back to Russia and to wait for so many days plus the extra cost ive paid at the customs when the package came back to me.
So When all the connections were OK and I was ready for my first ride by accident the ignition wire went on controller's body and burned controllers brain so simple! There no protection at all for this. Let's hope that this didn't happen to you.

Hi, thanks, I actually read your posts before installing my controller and was double careful that I didn't do the same, its bad that it's that easy to fry the display unit, I've triple checked all the wiring and I've insulated everything proplerly so perhaps this is just a dud unit.

I really wish they would test these devices before sending them out.

Hi there

I have a bug with a mini e that I can't understand : there are micro power cuts when the road is shaky, but the screen is still on, just no power sent by the controller when the bike hits a bump, releasing the throttle solves the problem, it accelerates again until the next bump.

It does not come from the battery, I have two of them and switching does not change the situation (it's a 2wd so everything twice). The power cables seem correctly wired inside and outside the controller. Same thing for the accelerator cables, not guilty, nor the connections in the halls black cable, nor the blue one for the screen, nor the red for the bms. All checked and resoldered when I had a doubt.

It's quite annoying, it's a bad contact but where ?????!

Any idea ?!

csc said:
Hi there

I have a bug with a mini e that I can't understand : there are micro power cuts when the road is shaky, but the screen is still on, just no power sent by the controller when the bike hits a bump, releasing the throttle solves the problem, it accelerates again until the next bump.

It does not come from the battery, I have two of them and switching does not change the situation (it's a 2wd so everything twice). The power cables seem correctly wired inside and outside the controller. Same thing for the accelerator cables, not guilty, nor the connections in the halls black cable, nor the blue one for the screen, nor the red for the bms. All checked and resoldered when I had a doubt.

It's quite annoying, it's a bad contact but where ?????!

Any idea ?!

You said that your ebike is 2wd so do you have this issue with both of your motors? If yes check your throttle (connections & configuration) if not then check your phase & hall wires . If you have a full suspension bike then phase & hall wires shake much more. Don't use extra connectors except adaptto's if your phase wires are not long enough just solder them with another wire.

By the way I have a suggestion for you. I've done the same. It's better to have two ebikes with single motors so when one of your adaptto controller fails you always have an available ebike to go out for fresh air. This solution saved me! The most of the big ebikers have more than one ebike..

Hi Andy, my first experience of setting up an adaptto from Vectorbikes was a complete waste of time. Spent days wiring it all up and then the controller went up in a puff of smoke due to a loose connection inside the controller. What would it take for vector bikes to test/power up a controller before sending?? Not much effort really. Either it was a dud or it got damaged in transit, the packaging from Vector bikes was pathetic, it was just rattling around in a big box with afew pieces of newspaper rattling around too. I sent messages to Vector bike and they were as difficult as possible about my situation. I ended up bypassing them and sent the controller back to Russia which cost 50 quid. It just needed a loose cable resoldering but i did not dare open it up for fear of loosing warranty. I hope you get it sorted and find out why there is no voltage coming through the green and red on/off wires.

andyjk said:
icherouveim said:
andyjk said:

Cheers,

Andy

Hello Andy,

Hi, thanks, I actually read your posts before installing my controller and was double careful that I didn't do the same, its bad that it's that easy to fry the display unit, I've triple checked all the wiring and I've insulated everything proplerly so perhaps this is just a dud unit.

brumbrum said:
Hi Andy, my first experience of setting up an adaptto from Vectorbikes was a complete waste of time. Spent days wiring it all up and then the controller went up in a puff of smoke due to a loose connection inside the controller. What would it take for vector bikes to test/power up a controller before sending?? Not much effort really. Either it was a dud or it got damaged in transit, the packaging from Vector bikes was pathetic, it was just rattling around in a big box with afew pieces of newspaper rattling around too. I sent messages to Vector bike and they were as difficult as possible about my situation. I ended up bypassing them and sent the controller back to Russia which cost 50 quid. It just needed a loose cable resoldering but i did not dare open it up for fear of loosing warranty. I hope you get it sorted and find out why there is no voltage coming through the green and red on/off wires.

andyjk said:
icherouveim said:
andyjk said:

Cheers,

Andy

Hello Andy,

Hi there, thanks for your comments, actually the first thing I noticed when I received the package from vector is the packaging, it was basically the box that Adaptto probably use for each individual controller. Delicate electronics like this shouldn't be sent in this way and I've emailed them about this. Im going to order another controller to be sent asap so I can get on with this project as part of it is business related. I don't mind eventually having two controllers just in case one fails... Vector use a very slow shipping method, does anyone know of anyone else that can ship a new generation Max-E super quick using DHL express or similar. I need it this coming week ideally.

Try messaging forum member 'Allex'. He did have a small batch of the all new maxe, but they may have sold quite quickly. They were also due to go up in price and he did say they would be in stock around about now from what i remember. He is based inthe E.U -and does have awebsite.. http://adaptto.envolt.se/ he is very trustworthy, i have used him to purchase products and so have many other long standing members. I did get told that he also speaks russian, which could come in handy;)

Ah yes I saw Allex in the earlier threads, seemed very helpful.
His website is showing out of stock on all Adaptto products so it doesn't look hopeful, I'll message him anyway.

I agree with your earlier comment, the sellers should test these controllers out before shipping to customers, even if it's a simple power up test just to eliminate a problem that might have occurred in transit from Adaptto in Russia to the dealer. In my experience of importing lots of electronics products from China for my business I very rarely have a problem with DOA products, maybe because they are usually packed very well.

Adaptto tests all of the controllers as a final stage of assembly. Complete with a motor battery/bms and throttle.
I do also a quick test once I have them in my hands by turning them on.
Once shipped out I know for sure that they do work. But then you never know how postal services handle one particular box. I do wrap all controllers in bubble wrap, just to get some extra protection.

But yeah, sometimes it happens that you have a loose wire some where. Easiest to check is all the thin wires inside the connectors. I would start there.
No max-es in stock atm, sorry.

Hi Allex,

Thanks for coming back to me, that's good to know you test your stock of controllers prior to shipping to customers.

I'm going check the wiring into the plugs tomorrow, unfortunately there's no voltage measured at the ignition wires so if they've become disconnected then that would explain no power up. The only trouble is am I right in thinking those wires go straight back into the controller main housing? (Not soldered to pins On the PAS connector) If so then the controller will need to be taken apart and this will void the warranty. So the whole lot will need to go back to vector.

@Andy, I have told you already yesterday that you can easily send back the controller to Vector. Maybe you didn´t understood my voice recording. They will send you a new one on Wednessday. Think about it, I think it will be the easiest way.

Ok Elias, sorry I did not see your latest voice message on WhatsApp. Thanks for talking to Artur. I will send the controller back on Tuesday. It's worth mentioning again about the packaging, this really needs to be sent in a bigger box with additional packing to make sure no damage occurs in transit.

And as if by magic...

This morning my Adaptto Max-E has sprung into life.

I can only assume it's something to do with the connectors as I opened up all the connector housings and made sure everything was ok, all the wires seemed to be soldered ok to the connector pins so I just reconnected everything for about the 4th time.

I'm happy now! I will have to keep an eye on things and keep fingers crossed that there's no intermittent issues.

Thanks to those for taking the time to comment on these issues.

Now... on to setting up the motor.

andyjk said:
And as if by magic...

This morning my Adaptto Max-E has sprung into life.

I can only assume it's something to do with the connectors as I opened up all the connector housings and made sure everything was ok, all the wires seemed to be soldered ok to the connector pins so I just reconnected everything for about the 4th time.

I'm happy now! I will have to keep an eye on things and keep fingers crossed that there's no intermittent issues.

Thanks to those for taking the time to comment on these issues.

Now... on to setting up the motor.

Hello Andy,

Today is a big celebration for Christians.
We celebrate the easter.
It seems your controller rose like Jesus Christ
because of this holly day!

Lucky you.

Wow, that is crazy.. lol^^ Nice to hear that your controller works now :)

-Happy easter

Thanks guys, and I nearly forgot... Happy Easter!

I've got another quick question, I'm going to be charging the bike battery using my KingPan 10A charger as I've always done, if I want the Adaptto to register the charge process am I correct in thinking I can hook up the negative charge wire to the extra negative lead on the adaptto? Does it work like that?

andyjk said:
Thanks guys, and I nearly forgot... Happy Easter!

I've got another quick question, I'm going to be charging the bike battery using my KingPan 10A charger as I've always done, if I want the Adaptto to register the charge process am I correct in thinking I can hook up the negative charge wire to the extra negative lead on the adaptto? Does it work like that?

Hello again,
You have to follow the wiring diagram. you have to purchase a charging coil if you don't have it already.
http://adaptto.com/Support/

You need also a PSU 24V or more but the voltage should be less than your battery's voltage otherwise you won't be able to control the amperage of the PSU thru adaptto's screen and it will deliver the maximum power. This is bad because you reduce your battery's life.

If you want a good light PSU Alex sells Eaton 1800W and it's about 48V. Maybe he has one in stock.

The only problem is if you watch films at nights it's not a fanless one. That's why I have two. If you are with your woman you use the quite and if you are with your friends the strong one for quick rides.

By the way some PSU have a potentiometer and you are able to reduce their voltage so check first if you can modify yours.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I do have a charge coil but was debating using it because I like my current charging method which is to use a dedicated charger high power charger which Charges via my batteries BMS (non Adaptto) it's an elegant solution.

I was just wondering, as I'm sure I had seen somewhere that you could charge via the negative wire on the controller that normally connects to the coil and have the controller register the SOC.

I do also have a 48V KingPan charger, could I use this via the coil or are CC-CV chargers out of bounds here?

andyjk said:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I do have a charge coil but was debating using it because I like my current charging method which is to use a dedicated charger high power charger which Charges via my batteries BMS (non Adaptto) it's an elegant solution.

I was just wondering, as I'm sure I had seen somewhere that you could charge via the negative wire on the controller that normally connects to the coil and have the controller register the SOC.

I do also have a 48V KingPan charger, could I use this via the coil or are CC-CV chargers out of bounds here?

I understand your concerns. Both solutions will work. If you use adaptto's charging method the advantage is that you will be able to monitor the charging process at the screen also to set the cut off maximum voltage and charging current. Yes probably you can use your 48V PSU.

On the other hand if you don't want to change all your connections you can keep using the existing old fashion way of charging your battery.

Ive watched some of your videos last month and I think your are a guy that you like the best possible solution so soon or later you will switch to adaptto charging method and BMS anyway.

I've never tried to connect a charger without the charging coil so I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer this question.

I would only do what Adaptto says to do and would not experiment with it around. Aaaaahh.. now I remember.. I have once not done what the Adaptto guys said about their coild and in the end I have ended up having to send my maxe to russia because I haven´t unplugged the coil when riding......... So in the end I would not experiment with it around.

Back