Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

DasDouble said:
I would only do what Adaptto says to do and would not experiment with it around. Aaaaahh.. now I remember.. I have once not done what the Adaptto guys said about their coild and in the end I have ended up having to send my maxe to russia because I haven´t unplugged the coil when riding......... So in the end I would not experiment with it around.

It seems so many people send controllers to Russia for repair, I think the weak point here is there is not a qualified - certified adaptto repair service department in EU. One time they wanted to charge me 140 euros at the customs when my controller came back from Russia and I had to fight with them by telling them this is a used item that I've bought from Alex in EU. Finally Ive paid 50 euros for incoming taxes for a used item.

On the other hand Donald Trump said that EU will end soon after the Brexit so who knows what is better for adaptto to do.

There are good sellers around the world but only one repair service.

Well.. I think it is not the EU which will end. Because if the EU would end, it would be a step back in the world development and would be a dissaster for everyone. More, I would say, Britain is the one who will go to the dogs, as we say in germany. Shortcuting and working together is an important thing. That´s like the internet. With the help of the internet, it is 100th of times faster to develop something, then without. Imagine one country sais that they want to stop the entire internet on their country because its "bad". These people will fall back with everything, among other things their economy, because they are not connected anymore to the rest of the world. Or at least to a big part of it. You better have a friendly neigbourhood that wants to eat some barbecue and trade with you, then some who is not willing to.

To what "Mr. Pressident" Donald Trump said.. I think he is in the wrong. That´s like the thing with what he said about workingplaces which "will come back when you vote me": Bullshit. Workingplaces will not come back because it has always a reason why they dissappeared. Let it be because of bad quality, too high costs for development, or just not existing know how. But I think that´s the wrong forum to discuss this.. :pancake:

I think you read wrong news papers.
EU WILL collapse
https://grrrgraphics.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/brexit_ben_garrison.jpg

We will be going through a major shift in economics world wide, Brexit was just a beginning.

I think there are pros and cons about the EU, but for example Germany, where this picture comes from by the way, provites from it as we do more export then inport for example. But interesting that you have choosen that picture, as I had just writen a test about it and got 13 points for it of 15 :) ...

Allex said:
We will be going through a major shift in economics world wide, Brexit was just a beginning.

This happens every single day - already before the EU ever existed.

Allex said:
I think you read wrong news papers.
EU WILL collapse
https://grrrgraphics.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/brexit_ben_garrison.jpg

Hehe Alex you've sent a funny pic.
By the way you live in EU, you are a good seller with a good character, you speak their language Russian, you know how to build nice battery packs and to assemply Hyena's frames in a professional way, you know how to solder so why don't they send you for 3 months to Moscow for some electronic engineering seminars to become their EU main repair service for as long EU exists?

Doctorbass help people, he takes apart adaptto controllers to review them also. So we need a leader in EU. What do you think?

Here we go again...my MAX-E is once again not working.

I did some basic setup of the controller last night (auto calibration etc) and it was fine, then this morning I started fitting it to the bike, I got it nicely installed, reconnected everything and now it no longer powers up again.

This says to me it's a connection issue related to either the connectors or the connector multicore cables themselves. Maybe where they are soldered inside the controller. There's not really much more I can check other than the connectors themselves and to make sure power is getting to the controller, everything looks fine.

So back to the original plan, return it to vector.

andyjk said:
Here we go again...my MAX-E is once again not working.

I did some basic setup of the controller last night (auto calibration etc) and it was fine, then this morning I started fitting it to the bike, I got it nicely installed, reconnected everything and now it no longer powers up again.

This says to me it's a connection issue related to either the connectors or the connector multicore cables themselves. Maybe where they are soldered inside the controller. There's not really much more I can check other than the connectors themselves and to make sure power is getting to the controller, everything looks fine.

So back to the original plan, return it to vector.

oh Andy you've lost your morning ride very pity.

Hi Andy, some people have had issues with the small barrel connection between the display and throttle/brake wires. I have read that it sometimes needs to be conneted very tightly. Check that the pins in this connection are lining up with the holes. Or even just rattle around each side of the connection and see if you get power when reconnecting. Worth a try?
Btw, stuff like this is normal when setting up adaptto. Hence why this is a 170 page thread;)

icherouveim said:

Yep!!

Brumbrum, yeah I am beginning to learn that this controller is more finicky than the Chinese controllers I've been used to!
I've tried lots of fiddling with the wires, reconnecting of the plugs etc, it's actually hard to locate the problem by wiggling wires etc because the display takes a few seconds to turn on in normal conditions.

andyjk said:
icherouveim said:

Yep!!

Brumbrum, yeah I am beginning to learn that this controller is more finicky than the Chinese controllers I've been used to!
I've tried lots of fiddling with the wires, reconnecting of the plugs etc, it's actually hard to locate the problem by wiggling wires etc because the display takes a few seconds to turn on in normal conditions.

Yes it is.. but don't loose faith
when it works you feel that you fly like a bird
and you won't have to stop anymore to mobile
phone shops to charge your battery.
Last summer I've traveled from city to city Limassol to Paphos 80km distance only with 1000wh battery pack!
Nobody could believe me.
Adaptto controller helped me to achieve this target because I could control every drop of the available energy.

Thanks for the answer icherouveim

Yes it happens with both motors and both batteries and both screens when I switch, so I'm 100% sure that the problem comes from the controller : connections or inside. Currently checking absolutely every connection coming out from the box and their opposite soldering inside.

I have another 48v spare bike but riding this 2wd is my job, so it's rather important that it works fine.

Having everything twice on the bike (plus a third spare adaptto screen in the bag) saved my ass several times, there's (almost) always a way to keep going with only one motor, if a component fails. The other big advantage is that there's no better solution, according to me, to go 90km/h on a long distance, or up-hill with a heavy load, with zero risk of heating over 90 degrees, without FF, heatsink, holes or other castor oil experimentations !

icherouveim said:
You said that your ebike is 2wd so do you have this issue with both of your motors? If yes check your throttle (connections & configuration) if not then check your phase & hall wires . If you have a full suspension bike then phase & hall wires shake much more. Don't use extra connectors except adaptto's if your phase wires are not long enough just solder them with another wire.

By the way I have a suggestion for you. I've done the same. It's better to have two ebikes with single motors so when one of your adaptto controller fails you always have an available ebike to go out for fresh air. This solution saved me! The most of the big ebikers have more than one ebike..

csc said:
Thanks for the answer icherouveim

Yes it happens with both motors and both batteries and both screens when I switch, so I'm 100% sure that the problem comes from the controller : connections or inside. Currently checking absolutely every connection coming out from the box and their opposite soldering inside.

I have another 48v spare bike but riding this 2wd is my job, so it's rather important that it works fine.

Having everything twice on the bike (plus a third spare adaptto screen in the bag) saved my ass several times, there's (almost) always a way to keep going with only one motor, if a component fails. The other big advantage is that there's no better solution, according to me, to go 90km/h on a long distance, or up-hill with a heavy load, with zero risk of heating over 90 degrees, without FF, heatsink, holes or other castor oil experimentations !

icherouveim said:
You said that your ebike is 2wd so do you have this issue with both of your motors? If yes check your throttle (connections & configuration) if not then check your phase & hall wires . If you have a full suspension bike then phase & hall wires shake much more. Don't use extra connectors except adaptto's if your phase wires are not long enough just solder them with another wire.

By the way I have a suggestion for you. I've done the same. It's better to have two ebikes with single motors so when one of your adaptto controller fails you always have an available ebike to go out for fresh air. This solution saved me! The most of the big ebikers have more than one ebike..

So do you have two different throttles also?
You know it is really strange to have exactly the same problem at the same time with two different systems. In this case the issue comes from something common like the throttle for example.
I thought you have only one screen, one throttle

icherouveim said:
andyjk said:
icherouveim said:

Yep!!

Last summer I've traveled from city to city Limassol to Paphos 80km distance only with 1000wh battery pack!
Nobody could believe me.
Adaptto controller helped me to achieve this target because I could control every drop of the available energy.

Thanks, I'm trying to keep the faith. I'm really looking forward to be able to control the power precisely and to be able to do long range trips reliably. (Without stopping at phone shops yes!! Haha)
The features of these controllers do look impressive, I am already impressed by the setup screens. Just so annoying about this issue which is incredibly hard to diagnose.
80km is very impressive, what sort of speed did you travel?

andyjk said:
icherouveim said:
andyjk said:
icherouveim said:

Yep!!

Nobody could believe me.

Thanks, I'm trying to keep the faith. I'm really looking forward to be able to control the power precisely and to be able to do long range trips reliably. (Without stopping at phone shops yes!! Haha)
The features of these controllers do look impressive, I am already impressed by the setup screens. Just so annoying about this issue which is incredibly hard to diagnose.
80km is very impressive, what sort of speed did you travel?

45km/h maximum speed limit
20 battery amps
60 phase amps
I've used regen braking a lot to charge my battery when I was going downhill.
Motor HS3540, flux beta frame
I had to watch the weather so we started at 5.30 at the morning because the wind speed was almost zero.

With your big battery pack you will be able to go faster and to do more kilometers.

That's impressive, yes I could do some really long distance with my 30Ah battery or crank the power for brutal acceleration. Or have a bit of both...That's why I like the idea of the highly configurable power profiles available on the Adaptto.

I've had another fiddle with the wiring, still nothing... there doesn't seem to be any voltage registering on any connector pins which makes me wonder if the problem is with the ignition wires coming out of the controller.

If the ignition wires are not connected does the controller completely shut down and therefore no voltages are present on any pins of the other connectors?? It would be useful to know the answer to this.

Problem solved ! It was a screen cable wire that was broken inside of the mini and kept in semi contact by hot glue. Impossible to see without unsoldering the whole stuff...

I forgot to mention the configuration : 1 accelerator, 1 regen lever, signals split in Y, 2 screens (+1 spare), 1 mini for the fh205 front wheel (with a 72 / 22ah, 18650pf front battery) and recently one max e for the rear mxus v2 (with a 72 / 24ah, 18650pf rear battery) , replacing a failing mini (strange unsolvable "halls error 1" event). This max e helped a lot to localise the problem on the mini as it works perfectly with every component. So I knew the problem was inside of the mini. That's another big plus of a full double motor config...

Next step : go to a 2 x 40ah 72v system (total 80 ah). Thinking about the pros and cons of a 21s thing instead of 20... This would mean adaptto only, I guess. Maybe not the most clever choice.

icherouveim said:
You know it is really strange to have exactly the same problem at the same time with two different systems. In this case the issue comes from something common like the throttle for example.

@csc did I got that right: you have all this in one single bike?

I would love to see some pics of that built!

Great news! So did you take apart the mini-e to find the problem and to resolder screen's wires?

csc said:
Problem solved ! It was a screen cable wire that was broken inside of the mini and kept in semi contact by hot glue. Impossible to see without unsoldering the whole stuff...

I forgot to mention the configuration : 1 accelerator, 1 regen lever, signals split in Y, 2 screens (+1 spare), 1 mini for the fh205 front wheel (with a 72 / 22ah, 18650pf front battery) and recently one max e for the rear mxus v2 (with a 72 / 24ah, 18650pf rear battery) , replacing a failing mini (strange unsolvable "halls error 1" event). This max e helped a lot to localise the problem on the mini as it works perfectly with every component. So I knew the problem was inside of the mini. That's another big plus of a full double motor config...

Next step : go to a 2 x 40ah 72v system (total 80 ah). Thinking about the pros and cons of a 21s thing instead of 20... This would mean adaptto only, I guess. Maybe not the most clever choice.

icherouveim said:

DasDouble said:
some pics of that built!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85364&p=1248057#p1248057

There's also a litlle video in action

Icherouveim : yes ! Quite simple finally but time consuming

csc said:
DasDouble said:
some pics of that built!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85364&p=1248057#p1248057

There's also a litlle video in action

Icherouveim : yes ! Quite simple finally but time consuming

Wow nice project, what else are we going to see here?
French journalist has managed to repair adaptto controller! Congratulations

Awesome!

This morning I have nailed the problem:

Broken ignition wire (internally) which was making an intermittentl connection hence my controller was appearing dead although I did get it to turn on once.
I've cut the ignition wire back past the break and all is well. These wires are made of quite thick strands of copper (even though the wires themselves are a tiny gauge) which will break if flexed enough. I soldered these wires to my ignition switch wires and used two layers of heatshrink to take the strain away from the solder joints.

So I can answer my own question and hopefully help others in the future with these symptoms:

1. Controller powers up with normal power up (crack) at the switch
2. No voltage present at display connector on controller main unit
3. No voltage present at the ignition wires (green and red wires on PAS connector)

If these are your symptoms then Its likely there is a problem with the ignition wires coming from the PAS connector.

Thanks for everyone's input and help on this.

NOW on to the fun stuff, motor and controller setup!

tomgda said:
icherouveim said:
tomgda said:
Hey.
After I got the Adaptto the first thing I saw was a much faster warming up engine.
Riding next to a friend, the same speed, the same settings 72V / 60A, the same MXUS 4T engine.

Engine temperature:

Sabvoton = 70 degrees
Vs
Adaptto = 100 degrees

I do not like it. What's up ?

it seems that you haven't tuned up the motor correctly.
some very well educated guys like doctorbass uploaded some youtube videos "how to do the perfect tuning".
the autodetect function the most of times is not perfect.
they helped me to tune up my little HS3540 and now it doesn't overheat with 6500W peak power.

watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmNtBS-n9k
also you can watch the next one for advance users

Doctorbass is one of the Gods of endless-sphere, he has very sweet soft voice, you will enjoy it!

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, but try with a manual setting

Angle correc
Ind timing
PWR timing
OVS timing (off)

.... they do not give me better effects and the engine is still too fast to heat up :-(

Is Sabvoton better than Adaptto in terms of efficiency and less heat engine? Someone has a similar comparison / experience?

Hi,

Cause the Manual-Setting-Tuning-Thing is already comming up several Times but swallowed by all the other Topics covered in that Thread i opened up a new one just covering the manual setting beside the autodetect.

I hope for inputs of the adaptto-freaks in here.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=87712

greets

Notger

Hello Guys,
had anybody of you the following Problem:
I wanted to update my MAX-E Firmware so i prepared the SD Card, openend the Display and plugged the SD-Card in.
When i then power up my Controller the backlight of the screen goes on on but the display stays blank.
Is the SD card not compatible or what have i done wrong ?

Hexa said:
Hello Guys,
had anybody of you the following Problem:
I wanted to update my MAX-E Firmware so i prepared the SD Card, openend the Display and plugged the SD-Card in.
When i then power up my Controller the backlight of the screen goes on on but the display stays blank.
Is the SD card not compatible or what have i done wrong ?

Hello,

When I was trying to flash the SD card with my usb card reader it wasn't working, (the same problem you describe). when I've tried with my wife's laptop that has build in memory card slot it worked fine.
Also I've read somewhere the SD card should be small in capacity.

I don't know if this helps.

Back