Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

Can anyone help? I don't have a clue how to solve this problem.

OV_ said:
Hi to forum! And sorry for my english...

I have problem with Max-E.

Setup:

Cromotor V2
Adaptto Max-e
Anti-spark connectors: Jeti 8mm (300a)
Cellman/em3ev 88.2V 3.5a
2x 21s5p Sony 18650vtc3

Tech is about 2-3 years old and 2000km driven. I'm second user and about 50km driven so far so not in expert with Adaptto. Had few ebikes thought and know some basics...

I was driving at woods. Took about 15min break to cool motor (thought temp was only around 80C) and to play with phone... When I took off got about 50m and bike stopped. There was text protect at display. Tried to browse menu and to figure what's wrong. Tried autodetect and got "Halls error 2". Did not figure whats wrong so had to cycle home (bit heavy bike to cycle...).

Now I have talked to previous owner and googled a while but don't have figured out whats wrong.

What has been checked:
-At Health monitor all HALLS values change.
-At autodetect I got Halls error 2 and Halls error 1 (if I move wheel same time when trying autodetect)
-Thortle is working (haven mesured but adaptto throtle screen shows it working)
-Resistor what has blown with few users from controller. That got halls error 2 is ok. 3,7-5ohm (depending if I use chines MM or Fluke)
- Hall wires are soldered ok to board
- When I connect battery I get Protect but when I touch thorttle it disapears but nothing happens even when rear wheel is up from ground (at woods Protect was in display all time)
e: - In SLESS mode it's dead allso.

Here is some pic's and videos if it helps to figure out whats wrong: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j3fvkm21nrkasru/AABsSBzB-iLSaW9acw3AG07Ka?dl=0

OV_ said:
Can anyone help? I don't have a clue how to solve this problem.

OV_ said:
Hi to forum! And sorry for my english...

I have problem with Max-E.

Setup:

Cromotor V2
Adaptto Max-e
Anti-spark connectors: Jeti 8mm (300a)
Cellman/em3ev 88.2V 3.5a
2x 21s5p Sony 18650vtc3

Tech is about 2-3 years old and 2000km driven. I'm second user and about 50km driven so far so not in expert with Adaptto. Had few ebikes thought and know some basics...

I was driving at woods. Took about 15min break to cool motor (thought temp was only around 80C) and to play with phone... When I took off got about 50m and bike stopped. There was text protect at display. Tried to browse menu and to figure what's wrong. Tried autodetect and got "Halls error 2". Did not figure whats wrong so had to cycle home (bit heavy bike to cycle...).

Now I have talked to previous owner and googled a while but don't have figured out whats wrong.

What has been checked:
-At Health monitor all HALLS values change.
-At autodetect I got Halls error 2 and Halls error 1 (if I move wheel same time when trying autodetect)
-Thortle is working (haven mesured but adaptto throtle screen shows it working)
-Resistor what has blown with few users from controller. That got halls error 2 is ok. 3,7-5ohm (depending if I use chines MM or Fluke)
- Hall wires are soldered ok to board
- When I connect battery I get Protect but when I touch thorttle it disapears but nothing happens even when rear wheel is up from ground (at woods Protect was in display all time)
e: - In SLESS mode it's dead allso.

Here is some pic's and videos if it helps to figure out whats wrong: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j3fvkm21nrkasru/AABsSBzB-iLSaW9acw3AG07Ka?dl=0

Well..
1.) Check the hall sensors that came out of the motor if they are loosen somehow. This would explain the alls error 2. If it doesnt help, then use the recplacement hall sensor cables, the other 6 piece
2.) I once have had the "protect" problem too and the only thing that helped was to send it to russia for repair.
I can only recommendend that if the halls cables check should not help.

But do not open your bike if you have a stock bike from Vector or Stealth. You may loose warranty doing that. If its a do it yourself-built, then go for it.

DasDouble said:
Well..
1.) Check the hall sensors that came out of the motor if they are loosen somehow. This would explain the alls error 2. If it doesnt help, then use the recplacement hall sensor cables, the other 6 piece
2.) I once have had the "protect" problem too and the only thing that helped was to send it to russia for repair.

But do not open your bike if you have a stock bike from Vector or Stealth. You may loose warranty doing that. If its a do it yourself-built, then go for it.

Thx for reply.

Halls values do change in Healt monitor so can they still be loosen? And should bike work in SLESS mode even if hall sensors are broken? Cause now it does not.

It's homemade. Seems that need to ship it to russia... What's best way? Contact here: http://adaptto.com/Contacts/ ?

Hi,

id like to use my thun x-cell.RT torque sensor with my adaptto and know that adaptto itself does not offer the option of using this sensor.
So my plan is to add my CAv3 that is unused right now to translate the thun signal into a understandable throttle input signal for adaptto.

sure its abit of Overdo, but still needed to use the thun sensor ? or any other ideas.
By that chance id also buy an analogger an external shunt to log my bikes data.
so id plug the throttle, thun, and shunt into the CAv3 and go from there into the throttle input of the adaptto.

anything against that plan i might oversee something ?, or any other ideas to make the Thun x-cell-RT working ?

greets notger

OV_ said:
DasDouble said:
Well..

Thx for reply.

Halls values do change in Healt monitor so can they still be loosen? And should bike work in SLESS mode even if hall sensors are broken? Cause now it does not.

It's homemade. Seems that need to ship it to russia... What's best way? Contact here: http://adaptto.com/Contacts/ ?

Yes, via the webside :)

notger said:
Hi,

id like to use my thun x-cell.RT torque sensor with my adaptto and know that adaptto itself does not offer the option of using this sensor.
So my plan is to add my CAv3 that is unused right now to translate the thun signal into a understandable throttle input signal for adaptto.

sure its abit of Overdo, but still needed to use the thun sensor ? or any other ideas.
By that chance id also buy an analogger an external shunt to log my bikes data.
so id plug the throttle, thun, and shunt into the CAv3 and go from there into the throttle input of the adaptto.

anything against that plan i might oversee something ?, or any other ideas to make the Thun x-cell-RT working ?

greets notger

I have heared once that torquesensores dont work with Adaptto.. But Im not sure anymore.. :roll:

DasDouble said:
I have heared once that torquesensores dont work with Adaptto.. But Im not sure anymore.. :roll:

Ah,.... sorry,....but.... thats exactly what i mean.
But "not working" is no term in my language at least, there must be a solution to it.

notger said:

and in my expereience with CAv3 it just simulates a throttle signal with all the combines sensor options like Thun-torque, PAS, throttle,........

I'm just curious if someone allready collected experiences with that kind of solution?, or if there is anything simpler than that ?

OV_ said:
DasDouble said:
Well..

Thx for reply.

PROTECT message generally means bad news :| iv sent a brand new controller with that issue back for repair, but after repair it returned and was still not working....they asked me for a video, i sort of threw in the towel at that point.
hopefully postage from finland is not so bad, unlike downunder

Allex said:
Just go with a phaserunner =)

Hope that's just a joke.
Sure the Phase runner is a pretty amazing Controller, and i want to try one out oneday, still i love my adapttos (specially the option of those crazy high Powers adaptto offers compared to Phase Runners limit ~3000Watt ), and i actually "just" want to add the ability of using a torque sensor.

So, the fact that adaptto in it's actual version does not offer that, does not mean i need another controller in my opinion.

Other options i see are posted in the german forum:
like seperate electronics to translate thund torque signals in throttle signal:
http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/in...-rt-drehmomentmessung.6677/page-3#post-138108

or the german Version of CA called "Forumscontroller":
http://www.pedelecforum.de/wiki/doku.php?id=elektrotechnik:forumscontroller&s[]=forumscontroller

So i do not give up that easy, and i'm still thankful for fruitful suggestions and ideas from your guys here to add Thun x-cellRT or aother torque sensor functionality to adaptto

greets

Notger

Nice to hear that you want to make this real, because I would like to use a torquesensor too. Tell us, when you have managed it to become it work. Instead I am choosing the flying under the radar methode.. :roll:

notger said:
and in my expereience with CAv3 it just simulates a throttle signal with all the combines sensor options like Thun-torque, PAS, throttle,........

I'm just curious if someone allready collected experiences with that kind of solution?, or if there is anything simpler than that ?

Yes, the CA "only" controls the throttle. Nothing else.
It should work with adaptto as well, but you need to wire up a shunt resistor.
I would set up a PAS profile in combination with the AUX POT, and the throttle set to "pass through" without any limits. The rest leave to the adaptto itself.
Than you can hide the CA somewhere inside the frame and install the pot on the steerer.

Hi,

uh, just came across the bafang - Speed and Torque Integrated Sensor BB
http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/sensor/sr-pa0112s.html

seems to be a quite similar BB torque and speed sensor than the Thun just working with 4,2-5Volts and spitting out 0,74-3.2 Volts signal Voltage (compared to the thun that uses 10Volts input)

so that might be a solution that works without any extra "translation-electronics" ??

Might even work with the PAS-input-plug of the adaptto ?

Who knows if the PAS-input understands just a stupid on/off signal, or can understand the linear 0,74-3,2 Volts from the bafang torque sensor ?
otherwise i could just put torqueBB and throttle into the throttle input and switch between them via a 3PDT switch.

what do you think ?

Notger

bafang website said:
SPECIFICATIONS
Core Data
Type Speed and Torque Integrated Sensor
Signals (Pulses/Cycle) 32
Input Voltage(DCV) 4.2 - 5
Output Voltage(DCV) 0.74 - 3.2
Resolution (mv/N.m) 35
Operation Temperature -20 - 45℃
Shaft Standard ISIS
Weight (g) 1200
Mounting Parameters
BB Width(mm) 68
Mounting Position Bottom Bracket
SR_PA31.32.ST.png

Ok, found some more infos about that sensor, sound promising

website said:
Speed and Torque Sensor
Except for the two drive systems,Bafang also brought out a speed and torque integrated sensor with ISIS shaft--SR PA 31.32.ST.
It is in compliance with ISIS, JIS and other relevant standards.
Both torque and RPM signals can be collected, and different BB torque sensors are available.
SR PA31.32.ST has high precision, and the bilateral torque error is less than 1%.
It has fast response and the output torque signals are of high linearity.

Speed and Torque Sensor SR PA 31.32.ST

http://www.ethosbikes.it/?product=sensore-di-coppia-sr-pa21-32-st

and 110€ is even cheaper that the thun !

I have a thun sensor and it is not optimal as it only measures on side of the crank. So I often end up pushing harder with one leg. Ideal would be to have a measure on both sides.

Allex said:
I have a thun sensor and it is not optimal as it only measures on side of the crank. So I often end up pushing harder with one leg. Ideal would be to have a measure on both sides.

yes, read about that Problem too, i think i read that the bafang measures at both cranks?

bafang website said:
This sensor detects dual-pedal torque signals and speed signals accurately.

another fine thing that just came to mee is the ToPPCon.
A german guy made a little Box that is just made for translating Torque senor signal into throttle input signals !!

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/in...ller-für-tretlager-drehmoment-sensoren.39148/

but that might not be needed anymore with the bafang sensor.
one Problem i could see is the Power suppy trough the 5V of the throttle, cause the torque sensor might take a few hundred mAmps worst case, and i'm not sure if the throttle supply can deliver that?

notger said:
Allex said:

yes, read about that Problem too, i think i read that the bafang measures at both cranks?

bafang website said:
This sensor detects dual-pedal torque signals and speed signals accurately.

another fine thing that just came to mee is the ToPPCon.
A german guy made a little Box that is just made for translating Torque senor signal into throttle input signals !!

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/in...ller-für-tretlager-drehmoment-sensoren.39148/

but that might not be needed anymore with the bafang sensor.
one Problem i could see is the Power suppy trough the 5V of the throttle, cause the torque sensor might take a few hundred mAmps worst case, and i'm not sure if the throttle supply can deliver that?

Well... now Im interested...! :eek:

ridethelightning said:
OV_ said:
DasDouble said:
Well..

Thx for reply.

PROTECT message generally means bad news :| iv sent a brand new controller with that issue back for repair, but after repair it returned and was still not working....they asked me for a video, i sort of threw in the towel at that point.
hopefully postage from finland is not so bad, unlike downunder

:/

Sounds bad... Let's see what they say when they answer my mail.

Maybe not best thread to ask this but haven't got anyasnwers from Adaptto. And even if they aswer and take max-e for repair it will take XX weeks to get it back to me (and acording to previous post it may not work even after that).

What are my alternatives? Really like to get bike working cause now wether is atmost best! Not too hot and not too cold. And I have just scratched my ebike itch with that corrmotor v2 (difference to my previous 48V 1000W motor is huge). What would be best controller to replace Max-E? Or should I order another Max-E?

Does anyone have an old firmware .BIN for the Max-E (UNLOCKED) sitting in their downloads folder? Something like RC9B.

Last week I updated firmware on my Max-E to RC9G4 (unlocked) from some very early version of the firmware (Controller is from 2014) and now the controller does not register throttle movement correctly. Very strange behavior on the throttle limits page, at 0-90% throttle there is no movement but at 100% throttle the controller sees 100% throttle (very jumpy though).

Similar to other people, I completed the contact form a week ago and then a few days later I also emailed the support email found online, but I still have not gotten any response.

Please let me know if you have a copy of an old firmware, I would love to downgrade however adaptto's site only hosts the newest firmware.

Did you do the resistor mod ?

Had the same problem after an update.

@ jduff

other options would be:
- use a hall sensor based e-brake additionally to the throttle
- do the resistor mod

smurphy said:
Did you do the resistor mod ?

Had the same problem after an update.

Interesting, I dont think ive heard of this one. Im using a Magura potentiometer throttle. Would you mind explaining it?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61183&p=1246957#p1246957

Been a while, thought I'd share a quick update.

Adaptto Max-E is running brilliantly in my Enduro Ebike with MXUS clone. Peaks of 14kW are truly an awesome thing!

Thanks to Merlin I also have an amazing fast charge setup allowing nearly 2kW charging with a flatpack charger, serious charge cable and proper connectors. :twisted:

I do however have a question that I can't find an answer to, my charge screen seems to update the battery percentage but the main screen (with the speedo) shows a lower charge percentage anyone have any ideas why this happens. I don't think it's an issue when doing a full charge but if you stop the charge early it seems to happen then maybe?...

Back