• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

Mammalian04 said:
ridethelightning said:
has anyone come across throbbing vibration caused by the motor under acceleration?

it feels like the rear wheel is slightly out of balance. at first i thought it was that, but even at high speed, when i let go the throttle, it goes away :?:

so looks definitely to be some setting that is wrong.

pwr timing adjustments dont seem to be the answer.

perhaps something else causing it, anyone had this?

I get a little of this also. Most noticeable under light riding so I can hear it also. I also suspect it is a matter of fine tuning which I have not gotten right.

good to know there are others :)
the temps are still higher then on my other max-e/cro bike too. iv tried manual adjustment so many times but still cant get it as smooth and cool as the other identical setup..

Altair said:
I think that every new firmware release should come with a new revision of the pdf manual.
That revision should address the changes made to the software, of course, but also more info should constantly be added throughout the manual on every topic that needs it.
What I would like to read is a technical explanation of what each particular function does, how it does it, why it is needed, how it might affect other functions, how not to use it, what are the limitations, etc... Obviously, this HAS to be written by the person who programmed the controller, the designer itself, not by a user who doesn't know all the intricacies of the program and just goes from his experience in using it.

Actually, the manual looks like it has been hastily done at the beginning of the production run a couple years ago, but never got revised/corrected/improved. Typically a lack of time & resources in a small young company. It would bemefit them (and us) greatly if they could put the manpower to get this done. Dedicate one person to take care of this for a few weeks, and then afterwards just maintain it regularly.

Btw, I find that the Quick Menu Reference http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=142241 is much more user-friendly than the official manual, but it isn't even available on their web site! Only the regular user manual is...
In fact, there should be a separate "Installation Manual", and then a "User Manual" in the form of the file linked above. Not two different User manuals + a separate supplement.

I hope that this criticisism doesn't get taken too harshly, because I mean it to be constructive.

Another thing I would like to mention, is an idea to reduce the clutter in this thread.
We could have a new sub-topic called "Bugs" where the known bugs would be listed, along with their characteristics, workarounds or resolutions whatever the case. That sub-topic would be managed by only one person, and would be "read-only". That would (maybe) make it easier for Adaptto to pinpoint & address the problems, while also helping other users with the same problems without having to search through 108+ pages of posts.

Guy

I'm with Guy on this.. A list of niggles & fixes would be real handy for all. Saves trawling for answers...

Nice Video Artur.
Better than any written manual for First set up :)

Thank you for this!

Are There any Infos about running an Big Block Mid Drive from lightningrod on the adaptto?
I still only get it Running on SLESS mode :(

Hexa said:
Nice Video Artur.
Better than any written manual for First set up :)

Thank you for this!

Are There any Infos about running an Big Block Mid Drive from lightningrod on the adaptto?
I still only get it Running on SLESS mode :(

Officially, Adaptto gave it a go "once" and didn't have luck with a mid-drive motor so they do not support mid-drives. I think "one" person got it working with a mid-drive but no one else as far as I know. It's all buried in the 2 Adaptto threads but that's the gist. I've moved on and I'm hoping Grin will capture the void. If not, I'll probably go to Kelly for a sign wave mid-drive controller.

I would like to replace the throttle on my adaptto. Can anybody tell me the Name of the quick connector between the throttle and the display?

Mammalian04 said:
Officially, Adaptto gave it a go "once" and didn't have luck with a mid-drive motor so they do not support mid-drives. I think "one" person got it working with a mid-drive but no one else as far as I know. It's all buried in the 2 Adaptto threads but that's the gist. I've moved on and I'm hoping Grin will capture the void. If not, I'll probably go to Kelly for a sign wave mid-drive controller.

Damn! I wish I had known this earlier. My build is a fatbike with a MAC motor converted to mid-drive.
I ran it yesterday for the first time, goes pretty well nevertheless. On sinewave.
Do you remember what were the main problems Adaptto had with a mid-drive?

Altair said:

AFAIK it was the hi speed RPM of mid drives that didn't sit well. Even if the max-e takes 60-70.000 E-rpm.
Guess it could be to sensors or getting correct timing, not sure but I seem to remember reading about it. I am sure they will change that later on with a firmware upgrade, but as they are growing they can't focus on everything is my guess.

Ah OK guys.
I guess that it is still more difficult for a controller to manage a mid-drive because the general backlash in the driveline and the free-play before the freewheel engages might affect momentarily the RPM of the motor and then when all the slack is taken, the motor instantly slows to a lower RPM.

By the way, I feel that my controller doesn't start powering the bike at zero pulse width when I slowly open the throttle. It feels like the power comes on at an already larger pulse width, like maybe 10-15%. Do any of you feel the same thing? There is no adjustment for initial PW in the program.

Not completely 100% on what your experiencing, but first I'd check your 'Calibration' - 'Throttle Limits' and adjust the lower limit until you get suitable throttle response for wrist action... :lol:.

Next I'd tinker with your 'Traction' settings i.e. completely zero everything.

Then make sure your 'Power Parameters' 'Acc' setting is on '---' by pressing left decresing to '1' then '---'.

Thanks ccmdr,
I already went through all the settings, and my throttle is correctly calibrated.
The acceleration settings have an effect only after the motor has begun spinning, they control the rate of increase of the RPM. Of course they are all at ---. :p

What I'm refering to is just at the instant that the motor begins to turn. If the Pulse Width was really zero at that instant, the motor would have very little torque initially, and rotation would begin smoothly. Actually, rotation begins suddenly, indicating that PW is already higher than zero when current arrives to the motor. This has the effect that I cannot progressively increase the torque on the rear wheel, from zero, to where there is enough torque to begin the rotation of the wheel. What I'm describing here is just the first 0.1 second of the rotation of the motor, not the rest of the ride which is fine.

Altair said:
Thanks ccmdr,
I already went through all the settings, and my throttle is correctly calibrated.
The acceleration settings have an effect only after the motor has begun spinning, they control the rate of increase of the RPM. Of course they are all at ---. :p

What I'm refering to is just at the instant that the motor begins to turn. If the Pulse Width was really zero at that instant, the motor would have very little torque initially, and rotation would begin smoothly. Actually, rotation begins suddenly, indicating that PW is already higher than zero when current arrives to the motor. This has the effect that I cannot progressively increase the torque on the rear wheel, from zero, to where there is enough torque to begin the rotation of the wheel. What I'm describing here is just the first 0.1 second of the rotation of the motor, not the rest of the ride which is fine.

I think I understand you. Try to do downgrade the firmware. On a previous version the very first moment of acceleration is much higher!

brooklands said:
I would like to replace the throttle on my adaptto. Can anybody tell me the Name of the quick connector between the throttle and the display?

I believe my last post was buried in the 'mid drive discussion' :D : Any ideas which connector I have to order?

brooklands said:
brooklands said:

I believe my last post was buried in the 'mid drive discussion' :D : Any ideas which connector I have to order?

I think I have 1. Please write it info@vectorebike.com

Artur said:
brooklands said:
brooklands said:

I think I have 1. Please write it info@vectorebike.com
That doesn't really help the rest of us.
It would be nice to know what this connector (and all of them for that matter) is named so we can replace if necessary.

Cheers

Altair said:
Mammalian04 said:

Damn! I wish I had known this earlier. My build is a fatbike with a MAC motor converted to mid-drive.
I ran it yesterday for the first time, goes pretty well nevertheless. On sinewave.

I'm running a rv100pro (45kv) just fine with a maxe, and I know (greenroads?) is running a RC-sized out-runner too. They do however require manual tuning, the auto detect is pretty hopeless at higher rpm motors.

Thanks sn0wchyld,
I ran the auto-detect countless times, always with different results (interesting), and now I'm at the manual tuning stage.
The motor is running pretty well anyway but I'm trying to push more power into it because it doesn't overheat yet :wink:
What helps here is that I have a 2.4:1 reduction ratio before going to the crankwheel, and also the fact that once the MAC motor is converted to a shaft-drive (vs rotating housing/fixed shaft), I get an internal reduction ratio of 6:1 instead of the 5:1 in the standard configuration.
So that motor turns fast.

sn0wchyld said:
Altair said:
Mammalian04 said:

I'm running a rv100pro (45kv) just fine with a maxe, and I know (greenroads?) is running a RC-sized out-runner too. They do however require manual tuning, the auto detect is pretty hopeless at higher rpm motors.

And because of that i don´t understand why an Lightningrods Mid Drive schould not work. This Motor has 67kv. I can do an autodetect with the LR Mid Drive but the Motor dont spin very fast and stops running during the autodetect process where it should accelerate to full speed.

sn0wchyld,
can you tell us your Controllersettings?
I want to test them with my Mid-Drive.

Hi hexa,
When I autodetect my MAC, it spends a loooong time turning very slowly, and it is just at the very end that it spins fast, but for only a few seconds. It used to not do it like this at the beginning.
The first times, it used to turn fast for a much longer time, even much faster than I am able now to make it turn with all the "correct" settings.

What offset angle between Halls do you have displayed in the Advanced setup screen, p. 3/5? Does this corresponds to the correct offset that other users of the lightningrod report, with different drives?
Sorry I can't help you much.

I asked a while back but don't think I ever got a clear answer, so here I go again:

I'm building a 2WD Mini-E setup with a pair of MAC hub motors. I understand I'll need an external speed sensor (since they're freewheeling geared hubs). Several questions on this topic:

1. I assume I'll only need one sensor, correct? (not sure how I'd even wire in a second without a second display module)
2. Would there be a preference for which wheel to use for speed sensing?
3. Can any normal cyclometer speed sensor be used? I assume these are just basic magnetic reed switches?
4. Since the speed sensor connects to the same wires as the e-brake, does that mean they're mutually exclusive? Is there any way to safely use cruise control while also using an external speed sensor? If so, how does this work?

Allex said:
Hi, Yes the new firmwares are compatible with the older version, no problem, brainboard is the same.
One small tip for all new users, the first thing you should do is adjust the contrast of the screen. Default setting is very low. Load up a firmware to one SD-card and then boot up the controller with the SD card inserted in to the screen, then follow the instructions on the screen to adjust it.

hi I am having bike built right now with Adappto Midi....do I need to get SD card or is it already in control to adjust contrast?

i have not used it yet i see in instructional video they have brightness adjustment but not contrast..my unit arrived in november 2015

Back