Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

ridethelightning said:
domino throttle is best in my book but is full twist grip.

the wuxing thumb throttles are awesome , and pretty much plug/play with adaptto....except you will have to solder the wires on :p

i have been using both these for a while now and would not look for another alternative.

mini-e can always be relegated to GF bike down the track :wink:

So you use the thumb throttle for regen? I've read great things about the Domino. However, I really need a half-twist due to the grips that I like to use. Wuxing also makes a half-twist which I may try out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WuXing-24V-...982273?hash=item2a546be001:g:xEEAAOSw4UtWSHkA Or I may just get a left and right thumb throttle for now.

I was also wondering if/how cruise control can be integrated with the Adaptto? This is a function I currently use all the time.

curise control

its really simple. when you reach the speed you want . you press on the arrow and it will hold that speed.

fullonoob said:
curise control

its really simple. when you reach the speed you want . you press on the arrow and it will hold that speed.

Thanks! That's great to hear. Glad I don't need to wire in an additional button or switch.

I want to use the light button as a cruise controll button. Any idea how to manage that?

DasDouble said:
I want to use the light button as a cruise controll button. Any idea how to manage that?
making a guesse here , but id be looking at somehow extending the wires from the cruise arrow switch, on dispaly pcb and using that with rocker switch for more convenient access near the grips.

Anyone running LiHV packs? Apparently, you can safely charge LiHV cells to 4.35 volts as compared to 4.15 volts for standard Lipo. So that would mean if you build a 20s pack, you can charge to 87 volts, which works out good for the Adaptto set-up. Here's the Hobby King Multistar 4s 16ah LiHV version, but there are several different kinds available.... I notice they say 6 cell instead of 4 cell and are 100g lighter? I'm confused?!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=84137

Would be a very simple plug and play solution under $600 for 16ah pack. Just need a simple 5s harness. I considered going this route but was concerned about the low c-rating. 160A is the full 10C continuous, which conventional philosophy is to run at 1/2 or even 1/4 of packs specified c-rating to put less stress on the cells and increase longevity. For these batteries that would be 80A and 40A respectively. Probably plenty for most, but I'm going with the Max-E, and don't want to have to upgrade my battery later, so I went with lipos rated at 40C-80C. Pack will be about 21AH, so at 1/4 of specified C-rate (continuous) I can discharge at around 210A :mrgreen: I just have to build a more complicated harness system because the packs are only 7200ah each.

GmagNeato said:
Would be a very simple plug and play solution under $600 for 16ah pack. Just need a simple 5s harness. I considered going this route but was concerned about the low c-rating. 160A is the full 10C continuous, which conventional philosophy is to run at 1/2 or even 1/4 of packs specified c-rating to put less stress on the cells and increase longevity. For these batteries that would be 80A and 40A respectively. Probably plenty for most, but I'm going with the Max-E, and don't want to have to upgrade my battery later, so I went with lipos rated at 40C-80C. Pack will be about 21AH, so at 1/4 of specified C-rate (continuous) I can discharge at around 210A :mrgreen: I just have to build a more complicated harness system because the packs are only 7200ah each.
Yeah, I'm not talking about discharge rates, if I did get Multistars, I would run at least 20s2p.... or just get a higher C-rate like these HK Bolts:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...V_65_130C_High_Voltage_Lipoly_Pack_LiHV_.html
I haven't been looking at batteries lately cus my bike is running hot and fast, so I been riding. But now I'm gathering bits for a new build and maybe I'm out of the loop, just never seen Lipo technology that charges more than 4.15 volts per cell? Apparently, these LiHV batteries fell out of the sky while I was busy looking at the ground I was riding on and charge to 4.35 volts per cell?! :?: That's big for my Adaptto BMS, since I can get closer to the 90 volt limit without mixing 6s & 4s lipo's and doing the split balance wire dance....

DasDouble said:

You also can give full throttle 3 times and your in cruise mode too.
It takes a little bit practise and its not really convenient, but if you dont want to solder that extra button.......

@topic

I solved a few problems with the bms......
I had the problem of debalancing my pack, also i always got a 100% battery level, at 82v or 76v, it dosent matter.
I guess the BMS is not meant to balance the pack all the time.
I set the bal. voltage to 3.3V cause i thought balance all the time it dosent matters.
It does matter......at 3.7-4.1 the BMS was actually debalancing.
Below this point the drift goes down.
I guess there is a small range around the set voltage that works and above this range it does not.
Also the battery gauge/range wont work when the BMS is balancing all the time.

Now i set the bal. voltage to 4.09 (charge voltage max 4.1) and everything works fine.

But now it only balances when the bike is on the charger, so it will take ages for the pack to come down with the drift.
But it does so slowly.

ziltoid81 said:
DasDouble said:

You also can give full throttle 3 times and your in cruise mode too.
It takes a little bit practise and its not really convenient, but if you dont want to solder that extra button.......
But my front wheel will go directly up to the sky if I give full throttle... :O Well I think I have to trie it out.. :D

Ziltoid
I solved a few problems with the bms......
I had the problem of debalancing my pack, also i always got a 100% battery level, at 82v or 76v, it dosent matter.
I guess the BMS is not meant to balance the pack all the time.
I set the bal. voltage to 3.3V cause i thought balance all the time it dosent matters.
It does matter......at 3.7-4.1 the BMS was actually debalancing.
Below this point the drift goes down.
I guess there is a small range around the set voltage that works and above this range it does not.
Also the battery gauge/range wont work when the BMS is balancing all the time.

Now i set the bal. voltage to 4.09 (charge voltage max 4.1) and everything works fine.

But now it only balances when the bike is on the charger, so it will take ages for the pack to come down with the drift
But it does so slowly.

this is really interesting.
i have had issues with the battery meter going haywire with several controllers and never could discover what was the cause so i guessed it was a glitch.

but i have also set my max/balance to 4.1/4.09 and still get 100% when the bike is parked after a ride at ~ true half full battery :?:

My first time charging thru the coil and I'm stuck. The cutoff volts is 74.2, nearing that volts it charges at 2 or 3 amps for a couple seconds then stops, 'charge current low'.Then it cycles again but never seems to leave the resting voltage above 73.8. And of course the balancing comes and goes . Doesn't seem normal to me but I don't know a lot. Ive got pics of all the stats but don't wanna cloud the page unless I have to. Any help? thnx

Attachments

• 20160307_194954[1].jpg
    20160307_194954[1].jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 3,706
ap0f1s said:
Hi,
I have a question about charging by adaptto my battery 20s (84v). I have 16s 67,2 5a chargerhttp://tiny.pl/g7r63 for my present e-bike. Can i use this with adaptto for (20s lipo)
Yes, no problem. Add an XT-90 connector to your charger output to plug into Adaptto coil and set up your chargers parameters in the charging profiles on the Adaptto head unit.

When battery 20s is discharge proximate 3,2*20= 64v a my charger has 67,2. Is not a problem? Adapatto has a transfomer step up. Sorry for my english. I hope that i write cleary

ap0f1s said:
When battery 20s is discharge proximate 3,2*20= 64v a my charger has 67,2. Is not a problem? Adapatto has a transfomer step up. Sorry for my english. I hope that i write cleary
I see. Yes, that will be a problem! Adaptto charging system has no step down protection. Power supply volts MUST be less than fully discharged battery volts. disregard what I said above.

Yes, above 67.2 volts. I'm not familiar with your exact charger, but most of them have a pot inside to adjust the output voltage that's not to hard to find. Take the case off, hook a DMM up to the output and turn the pots one at a time until you find the one that sets the output volts.

Regarding the max voltage charge vs minimum battery voltage, I've tinkered with two chargers Eltek HE2 @53.7v standard on a 17s2p Headway pack. Used a little 24v 600W charger to get the voltage to 54.4v resting (doesn't take long) then swapped to the Eltek @ 53.7v and with only 0.7v between them it quite happily charged the pack up to 61.2v @ a rate of 1300W per hour with no issues.

This was only a test of how close to the minimum pack voltage and normally use seperate chargers for both bikes, but I wouldn't overly worry about leaving a whole volts difference between charger voltage and min pack voltage :).

Can I use adaptto for 20s10p Battery?

DasDouble said:
Can I use adaptto for 20s10p Battery?

Yes you can, people even use 22s10p for the Adaptto. If you choose 22s make sure to adjust settings in the Adaptto so you never charge batteries to 100%. To keep the voltage below 90v.

Back