Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

seems really convoluted just to get a ebike up, I remember the days when you could just pug and ride. It also seems like a lot of people that buyed this controller have problems with it at some stage, https://ballaratebikes.com/collections/controllers/products/72v-200a-mobipus-foc-sine-wave-controller
this controller is started to look like a really good option at the moment, as i cant get my controller to throttle or charge

Altair said:
Thanks Allex,
but I don't follow you there... You mean that, instead of matching the Low and Hi voltages of the Throttle Limits, to the Min and Max voltages coming from your throttle handle, you lower the Hi setting ?
I think that this will just reduce the range of the throttle movement, so when your handle is at, say, 50%, the controller will already be at close to 100% of power.
Yes the bike will "feel" more agressive but the current at low RPM will not be higher...

your handle is at, say, 50%, the controller will already be at close to 100% of power. Yes.
But just try it out and you will notice that charasteristics at start will be totally differnt, it feels like there were some throttle ramp before and now you have everything at small twist.

Volts said:
seems really convoluted just to get a ebike up, I remember the days when you could just pug and ride. It also seems like a lot of people that buyed this controller have problems with it at some stage, https://ballaratebikes.com/collections/controllers/products/72v-200a-mobipus-foc-sine-wave-controller
this controller is started to look like a really good option at the moment, as i cant get my controller to throttle or charge

Weill, you need to read a lot in this thread and also the full manual to get it going. This thing is not plug and play.
And dont forget this manual as well for BMS
http://adaptto.com/MANUALS/Adaptto-User-Manual-Supplement.pdf

OK Thanks Allex, I'll give it a try at some point.
Not sure I will like it because I need good precision at low throttle, I use my bike for trials in rough terrain. That's also why I need punch at zero speed.

So is Adaptto really the best controller out there? Or is there a better option? I'm waiting for the new version to be released (not in a hurry) but the price on these are pretty steep. Is it because it comes with a screen so you don't need anything like CA. Or what's the deal

Cricket_Swe said:
So is Adaptto really the best controller out there? Or is there a better option? I'm waiting for the new version to be released (not in a hurry) but the price on these are pretty steep. Is it because it comes with a screen so you don't need anything like CA. Or what's the deal
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=74797

The new version could take forever so just buy a https://qulbix.com/qulbix-products/diy/controllers/kelly-controller

Yes, Adaptto's end is near.

The set's (controller, screen) that are being sold now by (forgot the guy's name ;) ) i think are refurbished stuff and old stock. Once they are all out to poor guy's who will find out they've been f...d, you will not find it anymore i think. My screen came with a used usbplug, and stopped working after a few weeks, button down and right not working anymore after some rain) Swapping it with a new was not possible (A: send it to russia)
Also don't expect support from the same guy (damm, the name) (Me: controller kicks into "protect" A: i don't do tech support, email to adaptto to get answers)

The only ones that do support, and try to help: Allex and Stefan are all searching and pointing away from Adaptto.

Think we should start a new thread: "life after Adaptto" what are the options and why ? :)

And like Allex said: Qulbix is a good start: real nice, professional and supportive people. They always got and get a 10/10 from me.

Really? So this kelly controller has everything an adaptto has? Can it have different power modes or just one? Also, in order to have a screen that tells me speed and number of cycles on battery, and battery level in % I need cycle analyst?

EDIT: Is this all I need for a working setup?

https://qulbix.com/qulbix-products/diy/controllers/kelly-controller

https://qulbix.com/qulbix-products/diy/qulbix-displays

I sold adaptto because my motor was overheated. Speaking of correct settings this is a not corect for me (sorry but many people in our city for a long time trying to set up adaptto according to available on manual, ES and YT instructions - no effect)
Now I have another FOC controller and I get three times bigger mountain and my motor is slightly warm. Adaptto has potential but it needs to be refined. That's my opinion.

If Adaptto had taken the time to give the users a good explanation of the features and settings, it would have saved thousands of collective hours that most of their customers had to waste trying this and that to make it work satisfactorily. Often with no success.
You don't support your product, you loose your customer base. That's a first rule of business.

I bought a second Adaptto a few months ago, after my first one went dead, and it came with a display window that is all frosted, the plastic isn't shiny. That's obviously a manufacturing reject, and this should never have found its way onto a product of this price. If they were out of display windows, at least ask the customer if he would accept a cosmetic imperfection with a price reduction, or give him the option of cancelling the order. If I had been given the options, I wouldn't be here complaining about it.

The company never had great communication with its customers, and now since the (permanent?) disappearance of Oleg, (which by the way, used to give an excellent service thanks to his knowledge of the english language) the customer service is now practically non-existant.

Would it be so difficult to publish an official update about what is happening at Adaptto, what products are discontinued, what is the plan with the new controller, etc
Pityful.

Allex said:
It is too bad that this controller is a bitch to set up. Because lots of users ride with poor settings and have no idea that it can do a lot better!

We wonder if these magic settings really exist. Probably we are only average people and we have not been able to discover them.

Yeah, I've never got the tune quite right on either my Leaf motor or my HS4080. Lots of heat generated that should not be there.
I constantly try and get it right, adjusting the hall offset all the time, but can never seem to get it. Auto-detect is useless.
Starting to regret the purchase of a Midi-E for my Alpha, anyone wanna buy it from me?

Cheers

I have a Mini-E and a 1500w leafbike rear hub motor. Running fine for 400km+ now...

However, recently I've noticed a kind of jolt following the wheel revolutions when applying any percentage of throttle. Not sure if it's a dip or a peak, but it only presents itself when applying throttle. Same thing happens when running auto-detect. The wheel spins slowly (at 2 amps) but with a pretty noticeable peak/dip every one revolution of the wheel. When the auto-detect goes to the "next phase" and applies more current (around 6 amps) the wheel stops and starts violently. I remember it stopping and starting when doing the auto-detect the first time also, but I seem to remember much lower currents during the detection. 0,6 amps or so if I don't remember wrong. I did not have the balls to let it continue so I released the throttle. The bike shakes so violently that I struggle to hold it steady due to the large torque.

Anyone experience something like this? Any pointers?

Yes guys, on that first generation of Adaptto controllers it can be really hard to find the optimal settings.
Autodetect is in most cases just good for learning the right hall / phase combo, but otherwise it is useless.
From my experince the signal of the Hall sensors is extremely important for the Adaptto controller to work perfect, while cheap 0815 controllers seem to have no issues, there still could be one which effects the function.

So i suggest: check if the halls are mounted properly, and use a shilded wire (ebikes.ca or Grin Tech has one nice motor wire with a shild, or use a separate one just for the halls)
on most hub motors the sensors are simply soldered to the wires without any electronic parts that would improve the stability of the singnal.
than the sensor wires are located side by side with the phase wires where large alternating currents are pumped through. now guess what happens with the singals?
google for "hall sensor board" and see how a good design looks like.
It definitely isn't Adaptto's fault alone that some having overheating issues and some not.

It is a pity they sell used parts for new. This is not the fine way without any informations to the customer.

BUT there will be definitely a new generation coming and i am at least really excited about it!

Altair said:
If Adaptto had taken the time to give the users a good explanation of the features and settings, it would have saved thousands of collective hours that most of their customers had to waste trying this and that to make it work satisfactorily. Often with no success.
You don't support your product, you loose your customer base. That's a first rule of business.

I bought a second Adaptto a few months ago, after my first one went dead, and it came with a display window that is all frosted, the plastic isn't shiny. That's obviously a manufacturing reject, and this should never have found its way onto a product of this price. If they were out of display windows, at least ask the customer if he would accept a cosmetic imperfection with a price reduction, or give him the option of cancelling the order. If I had been given the options, I wouldn't be here complaining about it.

The company never had great communication with its customers, and now since the (permanent?) disappearance of Oleg, (which by the way, used to give an excellent service thanks to his knowledge of the english language) the customer service is now practically non-existant.

Would it be so difficult to publish an official update about what is happening at Adaptto, what products are discontinued, what is the plan with the new controller, etc
Pityful.

Sure you had a used display? That frosted look was usual on the first display batches and you of course needed to peel that away. On the newer versions it is similar, a bit frosted and you wipe away this protection with a slightly wet cloth. I dont know where you bought yours, but if you would have bought it from me I would swap it to a good one, no questions asked.

I didn't say it was used, I rather thougt it was a production defect.
Yes I bought it from you.
Upon closer inspection, it is indeed a wash-away protection coating.
If there had been any mention of it anywhere in the package, that would have saved me time and aggravation.
My first controller had a peel-away film on the display and it was obvious it had to be removed.

Again, the lack of information with a product will always lead to confusion and customer dissatisfaction.

Altair said:
Upon closer inspection, it is indeed a wash-away protection coating.
i am shocked you did not realize this sooner, really! but good to know it wasn't a manufacturing reject. :lol:

Darn, well I guess you don't ride in rain, because with the first water drop you notice how it reacts. I dont know, but for me this was obvious, Adaptto never told me about this, first thing I did is try clean it with water. Now when I am thinking about it, I know several ppl who actually rode with the first protective(the one with the text on) layer for months without realizing that this is something you could remove.

Here is another tip, inseret any SD card into display when you power up, go to display contrast and dial it up to about 60, now you will actually see all the values even better :mrgreen:

I didn't realize it because the coating has been applied quite uniformly, so it really looked like plastic.
However the biggest reason is that the controller is still in the box, I bought it as a spare, so I'm not constantly looking at it.
If I had put it on the bike, I would have realized as soon as the first drop of water hit the screen...

Adapttos are great controllers I have two of them. You just have to set them up correctly.
My midi-e with the new settings works perfectly fine with my mxus 3K 4T motor and the acceleration after 50 km/h till my top speed is just amazing!! Thanks to Rix.

Adaptto controllers are small and they give you reports about almost everything.

For me none of the other brands are even close to adapttos technology.

It's like you compare a nokia 8210 with an iPhone 7.

Back