Animalector's Ebike Builds

Some very good questions. Was going to grab some hygia twins if I end up Going the twin disc path. Although this depends on the fork. Full moto style pit bike fork or mtb fork.

Mtb would suggest getting the dnm usd8 200mm forks which come with twin disc mounts. Or if I get a pit bike fork I will try to find a small moto brake with brake light switch and just do single side. The frame is already no light weight so I am just tossing up whether to beef it up.

The mrs and I are looking to head back to qld, to Cairns and there are plenty of awesome dirt trails up there so moto style would work well i think

So on the topic of Pit bike forks.. Here's one consideration. There are also cheaper versions, however these look ok.

It comes with bearings OD 44mm, which would probably press fit into the Greyborg headtube

So available on Ebay for $399 for suspension, brakes, bearings.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GPX-...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a748fa0e7
SUS-17_Forks.jpg
View attachment 1
GPX-MOTO-SX-3_Forks.jpg

Bit heavy, but perhaps worth it for the rigidity considering it will be a heavy bike... I would need either a moto front hub, or some sort of special axle / and brake mount adapters to run bicycle components.

Andy

Well here is one alternative, I think they're about $450 plus postage, so similar price though they have the advantage of dual discs.

usd-8.png

http://www.dnmshock.com/products.php?func=p_detail&p_id=80&pc_parent=6

I've read that the weight of the fastace forks are about 4.5kg, and these things are 3.75kg. so I guess the question is (aside from axle issues) what's the downside of using a pitbike fork???

Anyone care to comment?

SHould get some pics of my motor tonight sometime (hopefully.... finally)

Andy

Here's some pics of the wheel set. Some concern about the lacing pattern of the front rim, however I am no wheel builder so?? meh :?

Apparently they will be shipping today to beat the national holiday next week, but I am doubtfull I will see the wheels within the next two weeks.

Anyone got comments about the Forks?? Anyway pictures.
DSC08257.JPG
DSC08260.JPG
DSC08258.JPG
View attachment 1
Andy

Animalector said:
Here's some pics of the wheel set. Some concern about the lacing pattern of the front rim, however I am no wheel builder so?? meh :?
The front wheel is not built right, looks like it's laced off by 1 spoke hole. The holes are directional and will exit without those extreme angles if the wheel is laced correctly. The valve will also end up in the widest gap.

Yeah knew something was up with it. I have a 20mm dual disc hub here. So might hit you up for a hand re lacing it.

Could it be the reason they laced it incorrectly is because of the spoke length. Looks like if you lace it properly the spokes are too long

Yes, the front is laced wrong. it doesn't change the spoke length, it was just lack of attention or somebody who didn't know what they were doing. I would suggest replacing all the spokes on that side because of the bend at the threads, it will take a full wheel disassembly because of the pattern.

What rims are those?

What rims are those?
I don't know what rims they are, just 19" moto rims, they are coming with the motor wheel build (from China), I haven't received mine yet, these are just the pics they sent before they shipped it.
I started a thread in the Tech section (3000W Alibaba Motor...)

Still hoping for some opinions on forks... anyone?

Andy

You are asking questions that you have to decide. You already know the issues there will be trying to use a mtb hub with a pit bike fork. Either get a mtb fork or get a new front wheel for your motorcycle fork.

Dont go over 10mph on that spoke job,just unlace yourself and get someone who knows how to do it LBS,wont be that much money,cheaper than dental work.looking forward to seeing another greyborg build! :D

just unlace yourself and get someone who knows how to do it LBS
Yeah, that's the plan, can't do much with the supplied hub anyways just wrong axle for any sort of fork that will do the job.

Anywyas some updates.
Started by grinding the 'borg swing arm flats out to 12-ish mm..
Initially pressed them on as far as I could like this
20131012_182329 (Custom).jpg
Then I went to Bunnings and got a PVC pipe joiner perfect fit to slip over the bottom bracket tube.
20131013_100915 (Custom).jpg
Cutting slots into some washers to protect the cables from their axle exit
20131013_105606 (Custom).jpg
Mock up wheel fitted and 270mm eye-to-eye "really stiff suspension"
20131013_112647 (Custom).jpg
Cable exit with a few washers, and the torque arm they provided. Interesting note, the torque arm they provide fits pretty perfectly into the axle slots.. hmm
20131013_113305 (Custom).jpg
Drive side. My plan is to take one washer from the brake side, and put it on this side to center the wheel a bit better.
20131013_113315 (Custom).jpg
As you can see it's a bit too much to the drive side...
20131013_113322 (Custom).jpg

Andy

Animalector said:
JRH, is there actually anything wrong with the pattern? or just the fact that the the RIM is essentially rotated one hole?

Thanks

Andy

file.php

There's nothing wrong with using a 3 cross lace for that front wheel from first inspection.

The problem is that the spokes are all 1 hole off in the rim as full-throttle said. The spoke pattern needs to give the valve hole space and the spokes need to enter the nipple and the rim hole all at the same angle (or as close to it as possible). A rim like that, with directional spoke holes helps maintain a straight line the whole way. But if you put the spoke in the wrong hole, it's way worse putting the nipple-spoke interface at an extreme angle.

No way it is supposedly 13.8kv. So 18s should get me to where I want to be and 30ah. Haven't finalized my battery yet. Still have to order the cells. Not lipo either to many stories about fires to make me feel safe
Andy

Animalector said:
Initially pressed them on as far as I could like this
Then I went to Bunnings and got a PVC pipe joiner perfect fit to slip over the bottom bracket

I did the exact same thing :)

Subscribed, you've given me some good ideas for my build...

I did the exact same thing :)
You know what they say about great minds :idea:

Anyway, ran into an obstacle tonight.. As you can see from the pic after loosening about 1/3rd of the spokes and removing a couple, the tool busted. Who knew my thumbs were that strong..
Those suckers are hard to get loose. I might spray them with some WD40 to lubricate it a bit I think it is binding on the aluminium. THis also represents my first attempt at removing a moto tyre. Not too bad once you get some decent tyre levers... I tried with bike levers.. HAHAHAHAHA I was kidding myself.. I did realise after about 5 seconds... :oops:
20131014_203221 (Custom).jpg

Great project!!! Go on!!!

I like your way to insert the rear swing arms ... I have my Greyborg frame on the ground and was thinking a way to put it in...

will follow you so I can see what type of front fork you will get. I have seen also the one Greyborg will sell soon (they had one silver but the big order will be black) and is nice... also with the dual disks setup for around 400 450usd
I was evaluating also the rear ammo too t get all from them as it is supposed to be tested on that frame!

Ciao From Rome!

Danny

well..
Removed the spokes.. they were not as baddly damaged as I thought they might be. only very minimal bending. -edit- I just looked at the original photo and it seems as though they didn't do over over under for the three cross lacing. I don't know what that will do for the strength in the wheel but it certainly looks different now.

So...
Drill out twin disc, 20mm thru-axle hub to 4mm spoke holes
Google a few directions on how to lace a 36hole wheel. (actually found an Aussie you tube vid that was very helpful)
and TaDa.... (not tight or straight yet, but looking pretty good I think.) and best of all the spokes come out of the wheel eyelets in the direction it was intended.
20131015_222411 (Custom).jpg
Andy

Well done
Looks like a bought one :mrgreen:

Well technically it is a bought one.. but Thanks :shock:

So anyways here's a pic of it all done. I don't know how "tight" to make them but they all sound pingy, and it's straight, I put it on the ground and leaned hard on it, then turned it over and did it again, heard a few spoke pings, still straight afterwards, I'll re-inspect after a couple of rides..

By the way, that bike you see would make an awesome GNG doner bike.. it's for sale.... pm me

20131016_214022 (Custom).jpg
20131016_214205 (Custom).jpg

Andy

Back