Awesome idea !Non motor wheel for redundancy

johnjapan

100 W
Everyone knows that motors have a very large thick long yoke to bolt on to the dropouts

If for some reason the motor malfunctions your ebike is useless crap,
If the frame is designed to only support thick dropouts
I propose we need a special wheel without the motor casing that has the extra thick yolk
That way you can send your motor in for repair while you use your bike.

Is this available ? Are any hacks available?

johnjapan said:
If for some reason the motor malfunctions your ebike is useless crap,
If the frame is designed to only support thick dropouts
:? Unless you have some super-wide axle, regular bike wheels ought to fit just fine. Might need washers if it has very small axle nuts and you have super-large-openings on your dropouts for a huge diameter motor axle, but anything "common" can easily accomodate regular bike wheels.

If you have a moped or motorcycle frame, then you might have a little trouble fitting a bicycle wheel to it, but even that could probably be overcome with a little DIY depending on the style.

At worst, with really wide dropout spacing, you might have to swap out the axle in the regular bike wheel for an extra long bicycle wheel axle meant for a fatbike wheel, or similar.

I propose we need a special wheel without the motor casing that has the extra thick yolk
I think you're proposing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

(BTW, I'm assuming you mean "axle" instead of "yolk"; must be a mistranslation somewhere cuz I doubt you've got eggs in your bike's ingredient list. :p)

Back