But I use the DAC instead of the original walk mode
not need precision 12bit DAC
it only requires using an NRF output PWM with very little component
of course it's an option

CiDi said:
casainho said:
SUPERJC said:
I think it is interesting to add Throttle option on schematic
The first thing that pushed me to make a DIY display was the poor management of walk mode
the walk mode is very important in difficult mountain biking
I advise you to go through the NRF52 display (Throttle -> DIY display -> controller)
this will improve the regulation (PID Controller)
lots of functions can be done if the Throttle signal comes out of the NRF
for walk mode:
-not repeatedly press down button until the walking mode is activated
-Walking mode same speed whatever the rear gear
-walk cruise control

on the esp32 there is a DAC
on the NRF you can do that with the output PWM + Capacitor

z5tu.jpg
!!! Good contribution.

There was an idea / request on the telegram, to implement the street and offroad modes. Where on street mode was asked to set max speed limit to 25om/h and that is done with a CAN command. Also to disable the throttle, but it is a separated analog signal, would need some extra electronics.

Well, myself I do not plan to install throttle. So, all this need to be implemented is a way that is modular, for a user like me being able to simple not install that extra electronics.

As for the project, I hope that we go in very small steps of features, so we can get faster small increasing releases to get value from the display as soon as possible and not need to wait for an endless project.
So the very first version, I would not add this part for the throttle. But developers can always keep developing ahead :)

So, the knowledge you shared is really relevant but will be lost here over the time. The best would be to put on the repository issues list, as an idea about throttle.

What value should the capacitor have?
Don't you want anything else?
you must first look at the scale voltage at the output of the original accelerator

to start and have a try:
Use higher frequency for PWM
First:
see if it works without adding component
If not:
Put at the GIO NRF output a resistor of about 10k and after a capacitor to ground of about 100nF (size SMD 1206)
try from 0 to 100% PWM to see the result
noted: about 3V for the max
usually sufficient for walk mode
if you need more, you will need add transistor to connect to 5V

SUPERJC said:
casainho said:
CiDi said:
on the esp32 there is a DAC
on the NRF you can do that with the output PWM + Capacitor
There is a very tiny DAC board for Arduino that we could use:
You do not plan to install throttle
I also don't have an accelerator
But I use the DAC instead of the original walk mode
Joining the request to fully disable throttle and your idea to improve the walk assist (yet to see if is a real need, as no one yet talked about it on this motors!), we can work on something that is a common solution.

I don't participate because as i have allready said, i'm to low level in hardware and fully nul in soft to help you. BUT i want to saied that the throthle to use in walk assist is the major raison why i have returned to bafang motor with the M500/600 (after BBS). it is absolutely mandatory for people who use ebike in high moutain and it isn't currently really efficient, to powerfull and hard to dosing. I needs to limit mechanically the range of the throttle to use it. Then if you can find a solution to parametring the throttle. I will said you à big thanks.

patdam said:
I don't participate because as i have allready said, i'm to low level in hardware and fully nul in soft to help you. BUT i want to saied that the throthle to use in walk assist is the major raison why i have returned to bafang motor with the M500/600 (after BBS). it is absolutely mandatory for people who use ebike in high moutain and it isn't currently really efficient, to powerfull and hard to dosing. I needs to limit mechanically the range of the throttle to use it. Then if you can find a solution to parametring the throttle. I will said you à big thanks.
But, do the Bafang M500/M600 motors has a specific walk assist mode? If yes, is it good?

casainho said:
patdam said:
But, do the Bafang M500/M600 motors has a specific walk assist mode? If yes, is it good?
official Walking Mode
Repeatedly press Down until the walking mode icon is displayed.
Then press and hold Down for 2 seconds and the motor will move the bike along at a walking pace.
To stop, release the Down button

the best way is preferably a simple long press (1S) on the minus button
-> and have the motor speed which adapts according of rear gear
Efficient is better with hight rpm motor on large gear

I made first test run on CRX10NC4815i132020.8-20210924.bin firmware, but now i am not sure it require more torque to give full power on my old 13A from M500 f/w or not.
On the throttle and the boost its noticeable stronger, 2Amps more are doing a job.

I have the question:
1) Shall i also calibrate the torque sensor? Do you know the procedure?
2) what is the most 'soft firmware' for M600?
3) could someone with M600 do me a favor and try this 15A (CRX10NC4815i132020.8-20210924.bin ) firmware for M600 and tell me it require more torque than standard 18A?

casainho said:
patdam said:

for my point of view, the original walk mode is same bullshit than other motors. unusable when you need to uphill in rock garden for exemple, only the throttle with you can adjust the powerful can help you efficienly.

Kyokushin said:
I made first test run on CRX10NC4815i132020.8-20210924.bin firmware, but now i am not sure it require more torque to give full power on my old 13A from M500 f/w or not.
On the throttle and the boost its noticeable stronger, 2Amps more are doing a job.

I have the question:
3) could someone with M600 do me a favor and try this 15A (CRX10NC4815i132020.8-20210924.bin ) firmware for M600 and tell me it require more torque than standard 18A?

You can calibrate the torque sensor with BESST or CAN interface, but I believe the calibration is done at every power up.

The firmware is the softest in existence.

I have been using this firmware for a month, finally a low level 1 and a usable level 5.
More tiring to use but consumes less battery.

CiDi said:
Kyokushin said:

I have the question:

You can calibrate the torque sensor with BESST or CAN interface, but I believe the calibration is done at every power up.

I have been using this firmware for a month, finally a low level 1 and a usable level 5.

What you can say about the force you need to push to get full 15Amps to paddles on level5?

Is that reacted in same way as stock firmware but with cut maximum power or you needed to push more torque.

I am the guy who dont like paddling too hard so i have the throttle but i am considering to remove throttle and use BOOST instead on higher speeds, but on lower speed i would like to have full assistance power without very high cadence to reach 25kph boost engagement level

The M500 and M600 have same torque sensor or they're different?

[SOLVED]
Does anyone else have an issue with the firmware from the GIT HUB?
https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600/tree/main/Firmwares/Official/Motor/m500

I have tried opening each of the 48V M500 versions and BESST tells me they all have a bad header.
BESST_header.png

[NOT SOLVED]
Also I am getting a strange error. On one PC, the BESST software opens the firmware file no problems. But on another PC / machine, same USB stick, same file, it tells me there is a checksum error and the file may be corrupted. it still loads ok and works fine.

Thoughts??

:oops: :oops:
Well silly me. It's because I 'Right-clicked and Save-As' the file instead of clicking ont he file, and selecting 'download' through GITHub.

Note the file actually downloads as "CRX10NC4810i142050.6-22-1768-20201109.bin" but it is 122kB, instead of 73kB.

All the files open correctly in the Besst Tool now.

Kyokushin said:
CiDi said:
Kyokushin said:

I have the question:

What you can say about the force you need to push to get full 15Amps to paddles on level5?

It depends on the climb, if you can keep the cadence you need little force to pedal.

Is that reacted in same way as stock firmware but with cut maximum power or you needed to push more torque.

It depends on what stock firmware you have.
In general, the latest firmware requires more strength at the same level.

I am the guy who dont like paddling too hard so i have the throttle but i am considering to remove throttle and use BOOST instead on higher speeds, but on lower speed i would like to have full assistance power without very high cadence to reach 25kph boost engagement level

Why use the 15A firmware, if you want more thrust use the 18A or even the 20A.

Torque sensor are the same.

CiDi said:
Kyokushin said:
CiDi said:
Kyokushin said:

I have the question:

It depends on the climb, if you can keep the cadence you need little force to pedal.

It depends on what stock firmware you have.
In general, the latest firmware requires more strength at the same level.

Why use the 15A firmware, if you want more thrust use the 18A or even the 20A.

Torque sensor are the same.

Correct me if iam wrong then, so if they have the same sensor then it shall react in same way, for example if in M600 firmware require less force then shall require less force in M500.

There should be no difference in programming requred torque in these engines, right?

By stock i mean 46.8.

The point is i would like to cut maximum output on around 15A to not shred the plastic gear but i would like to have to use not much strength on paddles to activate maximum power support.

Update:
I finally went to 46.7 and it seems to suit my needs. Very rare peaks to 20Amps, usually peaks to 17 amps, 25kph easy to get on assist 5/5 and almost higher gear. Better support on 13A M500 firmware. full power up to 20% and then it comes to be weak , but still usable on 30+ kph.

I just received the cables I bought on Aliexpress - it is not easy to find this cables and are kind of expensive: https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005003656557018.html

I receive my samples in 14 days :) I’m very excited…But new displays are not available yet

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I just received the USB CAN adapter I bought on Aliexpress, for 20€. Can you guess what is the microcontroller inside??

It is the very popular and cheap STM32F103 microcontroller that is used on the DP 24x displays of this motors!!
(well, it is so popular that they used instead a clone that should be even cheaper!!)

I bet the BESST USB CAN tools uses the same STM32F103 microcontroller -- anyone available to open it and take some pictures?

And the bit I think you're really interested in:

IMG-20220401-190533.jpg

STM32F072 if my aged eyes aren't misleading me!

Thanks. I never used BESST but after that images, I went to look a bit more and seems it may have other functionalities for other devices other than the motors (???). At least it seams a bit more complex and expensive piece of hardware compared to the display, that also communicates with the motor by CAN and can send and receive all that.

For instance, that big orange round thing may be a capacitor / battery for keep running some part of the circuit even when it is not connected, maybe keep alive some data in some memory.... or maintain a clock / date running, and that is kind of suspicious on a device like this.

Can you take a picture so we can see the reference of the big IC near the microcontroller?

And seems there is an empty space for module that is no soldered, maybe for Bluetooth or Wifi.

Will do.

Yes, in "normal" use it's possible to store a firmware on the besst tool so that it can be flashed to multiple devices without a PC. Good deduction!

Hagbard said:
Will do.

Yes, in "normal" use it's possible to store a firmware on the besst tool so that it can be flashed to multiple devices without a PC. Good deduction!
Didn't know. Still, I think is cheaper to have flash memory than a volatile memory and that battery.

If you can take note of all reference ICs, would be great and I will later add to a page on the repository.

That IC has label U1, is so important that was probably the first they added on the schematic when they did draw it.

Back