Bewo, New Crank-drive Motor

Btw Tom, I think your Nancy bikes are great and ideal for their intended use.

Kiriakos GR said:

Yes, but it's quite understandable given the number of Bafang drives out there and the more extreme use people make of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bewo had a similar rate of failure give the same number of motors in use. You can't seriously take your placid use of a single low power motor on flat paved roads as evidence of anything can you? Really, and you call yourself an engineer?

Unfortunately, Kiriakos GR you are not being supported by any other members who may have a Bewo unit.
Perhaps my friend Emax who has just had two units landed in Australia will have some nice things to say about your enthusiasm towards the Bewo.
I would personally buy the Bewo, but after reading your thread, not on your recommendations. Just a bit of advice for the future, one of the golden rules of being a salesman ( A Good Salesman Never Knocks The Oppositions Product ) leaves a sour taste that they are trying to hide something underlying in their own product. I will be talking to Max from Emax about the Bewo.
My dollars worth
David

I certainly intend to get some real data across for you guys. I will make some initial assessments with the controller provided but will move over to CA3 and infineon controller fairly quickly. I guess the advantage of an external controller and PAS is that this change can be made very easily.

The BEWO definitely has a quality feel to it, probably a reason why it's marginally heavier than a BBS01.

Interestingly I was provided 2 adapters (one for 68mm, one for 73mm). I will wait till I install but from what I can tell using either of these adapters will not affect the axle length, so the q-factor will not be ideal on one of these options.

eMax said:
I certainly intend to get some real data across for you guys. I will make some initial assessments with the controller provided but will move over to CA3 and infineon controller fairly quickly. I guess the advantage of an external controller and PAS is that this change can be made very easily.

The BEWO definitely has a quality feel to it, probably a reason why it's marginally heavier than a BBS01.

Interestingly I was provided 2 adapters (one for 68mm, one for 73mm). I will wait till I install but from what I can tell using either of these adapters will not affect the axle length, so the q-factor will not be ideal on one of these options.

This I'm looking forward to. :)

Finally, looking forward!

Thanks guys, for leaving me some dog shit to have to clean up.

Kiriakos GR said:
By the way you are obligated to post a picture of your received goods, plain words has no value to me, never had.

Well, if thats the case..here is the first of the units

20150407_222146_HDR.jpg
20150407_222202_HDR.jpg

Here is the box with controller, display and other components. Very poorly packed IMO. Thats the squashed display box on top :roll:
Thankfully no damage to items, only packaging.

20150407_222256_HDR.jpg

Yikes! That is scary packing. Every motor I have received was fit to a formed foam enclosure with the controller very well protected. THAT was just luck in surviving. Especially the control panel. Even additional stiffeners in the box would have prevented the crushing. Knowing how well BEWO has communicated with me, you might let them know so they correct this. China is the biggest purchaser of recycled America cardboard often times the quality is sub par as recycled but foam molded packing solves that issue for most. Bafang, BMS, Greentime, EM3ev, MXUS, and CNE have all shipped much better. I like the look of that little motor! Anxious to read more.

Kiriakos GR said:
Can you measure the exterior diameter of just the electric motor ? (use a flexible tape and place it all around it , metric system is my preferred) :wink

Metrically speaking it's 27.5cm. We have the metric system in Australia also :wink:

I have no idea about the pricing of the harness separately, sorry.

My bad for feeding...done

All data is available on the internet and from BEWO.
I can supply their contact information and the name of the principal engineer if you need it?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=162545

Kiriakos GR said:
If not asking too much I need also a copy of the 350W nominal motor documentation, electrical specifications and rotation per minute.
I hope to contact me by PM, so to get that by email.

The final plan is to create a new topic exclusively for BEWO KIT owners.
So no one to have to read 10 pages so to get 10 worthwhile information's about these 250W & 350W KIT.

Its in the specs posted by tomjasz, rotation per minute is 85 (+/- 5)
I have made the measurement you asked for, its 10cm

Hopefully get something installed over the weekend and then can provide some real information for those who are waiting.

length.jpg

So about 20MPH/32KPH unloaded. Us flat landers could probably eek out 22-25MPH with 52/11 gearing. MORE than enough for a comfort bike commuter.

BEWO also told me about a 48v 500w nominal version which should be ready by the end of the month. I have received no further info but will ask again next week. :)

Have been busy this afternoon. Have made myself a custom plug to run the motor with a Cycle Analyst 3 and Infineon 20a controller. It was fairly simple, just match the phase cables using the correct colours. The controller I have chosen has phase mapping so even if you get it wrong it makes in right.

20150411_172408_HDR.jpg

Have given it a few quick spins. The chainring is 46T and the rear gear is a Shimano Alfine 8 speed. Some promising performance, unloaded of course. I will be using the recommended power and current settings when doing a real test tomorrow. The controller that came with the kit is also rated at 48v 20a (I was initially told this was a 36v kit).

Here is a short video... :!:

http://youtu.be/dYnLma1Vx9E

Kiriakos GR said:
I can not help it, every motor working out of specifications reminds me a crime scene.
what you should not fear is the reduction gears, they are not made of plastic. :lol:

I have made it clear I will operate within the specs of the motor (current limit 20a, 550w power limit), you do not need to worry about this, not your issue. It does not matter if I use the Cycle Analyst and controller, they are the perfect tools for assessing the motor.

In the off-chance I do make a mistake and damage the motor I have a spare waiting, that's why I bought 2. I am a commuter, I swapped out a Bafang motor with over 5000kms on it for this BEWO.

I'm going to make sure I post fact on this thread, there is too much crap already. In this regard a new thread is not a bad idea.

eMax said:
Not the response I expected. I am using the Cycle Analyst to gather information about the motor. Mainly efficiency. As I said I will be matching the specification of the controller that was sent to me.
I will also be testing with the regular controller of course.

My CA has finally arrived along with the shunt. I will soon have got data points on now of my BBS01 350W. Once I find the speed/power sweet spot I'll program the unit to that speed. It is fun running at 25MPH however I suspect that isn't the most efficient speed. I included a temp sensor in the purchase and have to decide where to place it. I will be doing a permanent inner motor install. Any suggestion for location of sensor appreciated.

eMax said:
Have been busy this afternoon. Have made myself a custom plug to run the motor with a Cycle Analyst 3 and Infineon 20a controller. It was fairly simple, just match the phase cables using the correct colours. The controller I have chosen has phase mapping so even if you get it wrong it makes in right.

Have given it a few quick spins. The chainring is 46T and the rear gear is a Shimano Alfine 8 speed. Some promising performance, unloaded of course. I will be using the recommended power and current settings when doing a real test tomorrow. The controller that came with the kit is also rated at 48v 20a (I was initially told this was a 36v kit).

Here is a short video... :!:

http://youtu.be/dYnLma1Vx9E

Hello, :)
Thanks for the video, just an observation, but in your set up: using 48V controller, 46T chain wheel and IGH rear hub. How do you get it speed to 65kph gearing wise?. Not very efficient at 395w unloaded right I suppose even at that speed?. In comparison my BBS02 at 48v 750w 20a controller max. out at 51kph approx. but using only about 100w at 48V read out on display of Cycle Analyst. Please advise I'm no expert.

Regards,

I forgot that your sense wheel circumference is set up on CA as like at least a 29in wheel and tire and that probably explains the speed read out? but even then 65kph=40mph is your display set up accurately?. I like an external controller set up but at the expense of efficiency is not so good right?

I keep thinking and did some calculation since I didn't get response right away, that you have a 29er bike and a 17 tooth gear on the Alfine 8 speed with top ratio of .527(spec. per Sheldon Brown website) that's how the display show 65kph. I suppose also over current is not the best way to get efficiency. I'll wait for you to reveal your detail ride review and opinion. I just want to know if they can equal or best Bafang current offering of 750W max motor. Seems the design is robust enough.

eMax said:
Not the response I expected. I am using the Cycle Analyst to gather information about the motor. Mainly efficiency. As I said I will be matching the specification of the controller that was sent to me.
I will also be testing with the regular controller of course.

Good stuff! Thanks for all the work. Especially sharing back good data.

Come on guys, time to either throw in the towel, or kiss and make up :lol:

This started off being a really interesting thread, but has wandered off topic somewhat.
Every motor kit will have its strengths and weaknesses. Best off having separate threads to highlight those, rather than slag match between two manufacturers on the same thread.

We are learning nothing here, whilst toys are being thrown out of the pram :roll:

I'm sure the mods can read and see that the negativity and insults are largely from a single direction.

( Mod edit. Not really, you choose to respond negatively. You can edit your own negative comments later too.)

Sadly I lost my patience. But throughout the conversation I have made it clear, my only interest is in learning about the BEWO. Not bashing anyone who chose a different motor would be a great and positive move forward. Discussing the BEWO on it's own merits without insult would be a major positive step forward. Accepting that many of us choose to try higher V and different controllers does not make users idiots and should not subject them, or me, to insults. This is what we do on ES. Wring out motors to find what they are capable of, tearing them down to determine how they are repaired, poking around to find the weak spots, and generally using the best techniques to make them perform and last. No one poster owns exclusive rights or holds the rest to a single opinion. The best part of ES for me is taking the varied opinions and forming my own direction based on best information.

And Greece is simply one of the most beautiful spots on the planet. I'm honestly saddened by the direction this has taken. I apologize for my part and would like to move forward, but without insult and innuendo. Shall we?

Back