Bewo, New Crank-drive Motor

Lets keep on topic. Not good for the company BEWO to have poor information being circulated around. I don't have data yet but the install was really basic. I like how this little motor mounts up on my 68mm bottom bracket. Slid in easily and the fixing nut and bracket had it in place in a few minutes. I am running for now with my own Infineon controller, 48v battery with Panasonic NCR18650b cells and an Cycle Analyst 3 with the following settings (don't worry about me thrashing the motor Mr Greece). This is within the ratings of the motor and mimics the stock controller sent to me. I will be testing with stock controller and display later this week :D

View attachment 5
20150412_140026_HDR.jpg
20150412_134410_HDR.jpg

I have only done a few small rides using throttle only. The kit feels solid, the chainline is perfect with my Alfine 8 and the motor is quiet and smooth. If there was a criticism with this current system I would have to say its lacking in torque. But that is expected somewhat due to the lack of reduction gearing. Thats all I will say until I can get some more meaningful testing done.

Australia also has some beautiful spots, here is a path I ride daily. I also purchase a new pannier bag on the weekend which looks great I think. In the basket are eBike parts out for delivery today.

20150413_085255_HDR.jpg
20150413_085315_HDR.jpg
20150413_085324_HDR.jpg

Easy pairing with CA3 is good news! I'm anxious to see your data and performance. I mounted a CA3 along side the C961 on my BBS. I look forward to comparing numbers.

tomjasz said:
Easy pairing with CA3 is good news! I'm anxious to see your data and performance. I mounted a CA3 along side the C961 on my BBS. I look forward to comparing numbers.

What efficiencies are you experiencing with the BBS? I will report once i have done a decent amount of travel :)

eMax

All new today. I finally installed the shunt and new connectors. Data starts tomorrow.

Ok, guys, clearly the edit button is not enough for you guys. So now the entire posts are gone, not just the insults. Three entire pages deleted. Quite a record for me.

Two more guys warned, who will be banned if this continues.

One guy who was warned Saturday kept fighting and has been banned for a week.

Small update
The efficiency is nothing to write home about. The unit however is smooth and quiet and seems 'solid'. The unit required tightening after about 20km. I noticed creaks and clicks from the BB which disappeared once it was tightened.
Running max 550w 20a. I pedal at all times, and have found myself doing a little more work with this unit compared to the Bafang (not a bad thing :D )
20150415_085731_HDR.jpg
20150415_085747_HDR.jpg
20150415_085800_HDR.jpg

I have now installed the stock controller and display so we will see how that goes.

riba2233 said:
I think there might be something wrong here. I have 70kg moped with 2.5kw const. an 3.5kw peak, max speed 55, avg speed 30 kmh, I live in very hilly area, and I get 28.8 Wh/km. Maybe you have wrong hall/phase combo?

Perhaps. I will install a watt meter between the battery and controller to double check but the controller has automatic mapping of hall / phase signals.
http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/grinfineon.html

I thought these motors were sensorless.

Did you check the temperature? The voltage is pretty high. It would need to run at a high rpm to be efficient at that voltage.

How much drag is there in the motor while pedaling with the assist turned off?

tahustvedt said:
I thought these motors were sensorless.

Yes they are. Phase wires only connected. The drag is minimal. Perhaps less than the Bafang.

So thought the efficiency I was getting with the CA3 and infineon controller was wayyyyyy off the mark. The unit still performed adequately but perhaps something not right. First and foremost I am analysing the performance of the stock kit from BEWO so I have now connected the 48v 22a controller and the stock "Key-Disp" display.

The installation of the controller was fairly easy, I like the design and is fairly stealth with wires easily hidden. The cable lengths were pretty spot on for my Cannondale which is size large. The display also is very small and neat. I was impressed how many parameters are editable via the display. No need for hacking up programming cables and downloading dodgy software. I set my assist levels to 9 as well as the percentages (of full current) that each level should reflect. I have connected up the Tektro Dorade ebrake that was on the bike and works perfectly. Have also installed a gearshift sensor to protect my Alfine 8 which is plugged into the spare brake plug. Its worth noting that the wiring uses Higo copy plugs not genuine.

Went for a quick ride and BANG my power is there, my speed is there and I can honestly say that the initial performance was above what I expected from this little motor! I had to tighten it up really tight using lots of leverage as the main mounting nut has now worked itself loose 3 times in 80kms. The PAS works well but I would prefer less delay when you start pedalling. Will check the settings again and see if I can tweak this. The motor easily got me up the the 40km/h limit. So easily I believe it could go much faster with a larger chain ring (I have a 48T to put on if needed). The motor was warm after a fairly spirited ride today but not hot. I don't suspect I will be riding any harder than this, but was chuffed about the performance I was getting after the strange experience with the other controller and CA3. I will report back on efficiency once the watt meter is connected up. Should be doing some fairly familiar rides this week so I will get a better idea. Videos to follow at some stage next week.

Attachments

• 20150419_133626.jpg
    20150419_133626.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 4,239
  • 20150419_172724_HDR.jpg
    20150419_172724_HDR.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4,239
  • 20150419_172805.jpg
    20150419_172805.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 4,239
So the last two days Sydney has effectively hit by a cyclone (its call an 'east coast low' because apparently it's too far south for cyclones). I decided to go for a ride on my bike and check out some of the damage.
Plenty of puddles to contend with, I think the motor may have even been submerged at some point.

So far it has survived my extreme testing!
http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/...as-wild-weather-rolls-in-20150420-1mpfhb.html

Kiriakos GR said:
It is good to know that BEWO KIT found to be also as lovable by another person, as is with default KIT electronics and software.

Now due the fact that this complete topic is hidden from Non-registered members when thousands other topics are not, this is suspicious.
Personally I am exclusively an contributor those years who offer true knowledge and suggestions regarding high quality tests and measurement equipment to other professionals electricians.
Never was a dream of my to become a king in forum about bicycles.

According to my point of view, this is my Goodbye message in this community.
Best regards to all .

If you are truly leaving thankyou for your input and for making users aware of mid-drive alternatives. I think you should stick around though :wink:

Kiriakos GR said:
It is good to know that BEWO KIT found to be also as lovable by another person, as is with default KIT electronics and software.

Now due the fact that this complete topic is hidden from Non-registered members when thousands other topics are not, this is suspicious.
Personally I am exclusively an contributor those years who offer true knowledge and suggestions regarding high quality tests and measurement equipment to other professionals electricians.
Never was a dream of my to become a king in forum about bicycles.

According to my point of view, this is my Goodbye message in this community.
Best regards to all .

I managed to view this thread without logging in, so I don't think it has been hidden from non registered users.

Don't give up so easily Kiriakos. Your knowledge is invaluable, and a few fisticuffs with other members, should not deter you from providing your knowledge.
Stick with us, coz this thread is really interesting :wink:

Hi Ewan, I pretty much maxed out the bbs01 I got from you today on the throttle - 36kmh average over 19ks with a few lumps and bumps mostly using full throttle- 12.6 WH/km. Did you check the shunt value calibrated in the CA coz that 28.2 does seem way off. Must admit the bewo looks very stealthy...

Tats said:
Hi Ewan, I pretty much maxed out the bbs01 I got from you today on the throttle - 36kmh average over 19ks with a few lumps and bumps mostly using full throttle- 12.6 WH/km. Did you check the shunt value calibrated in the CA coz that 28.2 does seem way off. Must admit the bewo looks very stealthy...

Mate, good pickup. It was at 5.0 which I think is OK. I have installed the regular controller for now and am testing with a watt meter between the battery and the controller. So far around 13-14 but only a small amount of kms so far in absolutely torrential rain.

This kit is shaping up to be a real alternative and there is a few exciting developments which I have been talking to Shawn from BEWO about. Decent performance you are getting from the BBS01!

I topic is in full view without logging in from my computer and from a friends.

I'm not an electrical engineer but is there a chance that if the Infineon is 2.0 and the CA is at 5.0 then it could be calculating things incorrectly. Ie instead of thinking the current sent from ca to motor is only 8a it calculates and thinks 20a and if the WH/ah says 28 it's really closer to 11. This might be the reason and wouldn't be far off a detuned bbs01? I'm getting strava koms with your setup mate, it's great!

Ewan, Confirmed with the EEs here where I work - the CA has to have a matching shunt value to the actual shunt in the controller to read and therefore limit the current correctly. I think the Lyen (Infineon) controller I have is 2mOhm so if you have used 5mOhm then the CA thinks there is 5 amps in the circuit when there's only 2. This is why the BEWO is running like a BBS01 on 8A. The consumption is also overstated by the same factor. Rich

Tats said:
Ewan, Confirmed with the EEs here where I work - the CA has to have a matching shunt value to the actual shunt in the controller to read and therefore limit the current correctly. I think the Lyen (Infineon) controller I have is 2mOhm so if you have used 5mOhm then the CA thinks there is 5 amps in the circuit when there's only 2. This is why the BEWO is running like a BBS01 on 8A. The consumption is also overstated by the same factor. Rich

Thanks for clearing that up for me mate. Still working my way through the massive CA3 manual. The BEWO runs better with sinewave controller anyway. Based on regular rides I do and the charge cycles for my 10Ah battery currently the range is matching / possibly bettering a 750w BBS02. Hopefully I will have the numbers soon to validate this.

Wh/km isn't a good way to measure efficiency. It probably varies more between riders/bikes than between motor units due to different aerodynamic properties and weight. I got 9,2 Wh/km with my BBS01 on throttle only with my CX on my test.

eMax, I want to try the Bewo system also....do you have a link where to order them? Is the system adjustable through software like the Bafang?

My bafang bbs02 750 watt, 25 amper motor kit unbox with c965 display...
[youtube]Sbn2jiPktJ8[/youtube]

Back