Bewo, New Crank-drive Motor

Sorry for the slight off topic, but several are asking what the hill climbing ability of the BBS01 350W is like. I remembered there were some 250W users here. Perhaps you could interject your ideas?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=1099132#p1099132

tomjasz said:
Sorry for the slight off topic, but several are asking what the hill climbing ability of the BBS01 350W is like. I remembered there were some 250W users here. Perhaps you could interject your ideas?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=1099132#p1099132

Well my 350W BEWO climb wery step hill in low gear. On gravel my the traction may be the limit if gear it wery low.
If you also will have speed then you need more power

//umejopa

cheap fat bike from ebay, 350w 36v Bewo for 100mm BB, stock 48v controller, 12s2p 10ah diy lipo pack - works perfect ;]
20151024_123927_01.jpg

20151024_121349_01.jpg

That is awesome....very cool.....what's your gear ratio? How many speeds? How fast in low and hifh? What kind hills. Climbed in low and.high?
And ......nice looking bike. Can we see more pick a please

20151030_102421.jpg

20151030_102442.jpg

20151030_102525.jpg

bike: http://r.ebay.com/moTZrF
engine: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/electric-fat-bike-mid-drive-motor-kit-with-100mm-axle-350W/705369_32425927181.html
battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__36032__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S1P_14_8v_20C_Hardcase_Pack_EU_Warehouse_.html

gears on the bike are 14-28 T and on the engine 47 T
climb a very steep hill in low gear - 10ah lipo battery pack can last for 60-70km with paddling in my area (i weight 70kg + 22kg bike + 5kg engine + 3.5kg battery)

Great bike !
Have you considered extending the range with any kind of regen/braking ?
I'm researching how to build a regen /charger/ brake/excess volts- dumper for a front hub motor.
I have a cheaper GSM 36v 250W crank motor (£200, Its similar to the BBS01, and I'm in the UK) and
my old 250W 36v front hub motor. Thinking through the issues, I would like to ADD the front hub motor back to my MTB
but maybe not as a motor but switchable generator/ebrake.
With batteries being constantly trickle charged and seriously charged on downhills,
mileage could be extended in spite of the extra weight of the generator wheel.
Anyone here interested ?

How did you make the battery holder? Looks very clean and simple. I would like to do that for a few of my bikes. The rain gutter holder I use lacks the aesthetics of yours. You could also use a parallel balance board that you could just leave in your battery holder to clean up all those balance wires.
Something like this:
31314.jpg

Yeah....how did you make that triangle battery box....very cool...what is your speed without pedal on flat in first and top gear...sixth?

I want to use mega range 14t. To 34t. Six speed with a 30t crank....at 24 volts. What is your speed like around one to 2.2 ratio and below?

Now....front hub regeneration..generator.....brake..brilliant..let us know how it goes.....I thought about bewo mid and Dd front hub and just hold down brake lever and recharge battery for brow

after looking on ebay for the perfect 11 to 34t six speed freewheell index cassete can't find one....only 7 speed 11-34 and it looks like a conversion could be simple. i checked you tube for it....can you use 7 speed with this thing or is it limited to only 6 speed...also has anyone added another crank cog to it...say 24t and 44t?
or a triple my bike has three crank cogs on it now....does bewo make a triple crank cog ring?

and another question....why not???

we have 90 rpm and 60 nm..... so what is the gear reduction on this thing and what is engine rpm?

Kiriakos GR said:
eMax said:
One page back posted pictures of regular bicycles riding event, I was had 60 people next to me, no one noticed that my donkey has electric assistance until the moment which I powered my large head light (24V 21W). :lol:

Hi Kiriakos, on the large 24V 21W headlight you have, can you tell me make/model to look up specifications (e.g. weight) and any tips about it? I was guessing it may be a truck 24V headlight if not modified with different globe?

The reduction for this kit is 28 to 1, had same kit and tried to change motor for one with more power. The metal parts broke and i dissamble the kit, i have pics from the insides will post them later.

bionicon said:
The reduction for this kit is 28 to 1, had same kit and tried to change motor for one with more power. The metal parts broke and i dissamble the kit, i have pics from the insides will post them later.
Toking forward to your pictures!!

Here you see what I tried with two motors the second was a Xnova tareq50 ,it was to powerfull (8000watts nominal) it broke the axle

Attachments

• 199.jpg
    199.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 4,927
  • 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,927
I Have a 48V 350W Bewo. It comes with a choice of chain wheels a 48T or a 44T which I chose as getting up hills is of more importance to me than top speed. I don't know if there is a graph or table showing at what rpm it is most efficient,but through my own personal experience,I would have preferred a smaller chainring.
It is not possible to put on a smaller chainring because if you could the chain would hit off of the casing.
My bike has 700c tyres and a 33t back cog and taking into account that I am about 95kg ,obese but reasonably active,would have much preferred a smaller chain ring had it been possible.

The Bosch motors have very small chain rings which allows them to spin up to high revs easier and in my opinion makes them more efficient at climbing hills.

Don't get me wrong,should I turn up the power on the flatter areas,it goes like the wind,but even in my lowest gear I can do 16 or 18mph, but that to me tells a story of being too highly geared.
If I were to change all my gearing to a 10/11 cassette it would be possible to fit a 12- 44T and that would be better as it would be 1:1 with the crank,however that would be quite an upheaval and expense.
I have tried the bike with a nexus 8 hub, but,however the same applies.
My objective is to be able to go up steep hills with a reasonable cadence i.e not pumping pedals while standing on them and my impression is that the lack of interchangeable chain rings detracts from this otherwise good product

Hello to all owners of Bewo,
please tell me about the pas functions.Does it work well, any lags?Can we reprogramm the controller like Bafang to set the pas functions as harmonious as possible.I have tried 2 BBS.The first was set really bad, with lags so if you stop pedalling the motor goes further for 2 seconds.The other was set really very good,no lag at all.So please share your experience.

Greets Sava

hi Sava , yes there is a considerable lag which I find annoying. The lag occurs after the cut off speed is reached about 26kmh for mine and when the speed goes under that it takes a few seconds to re engage the motor.I really don't notice that much difference with the different levels of PAS. Just a tip if you are buying one from China, don't buy a battery from them. I enquired about batteries and he recommended a supplier and I bought from them and have a poor quality battery that has been nothing but trouble

Have you tried to adjust it?
there are some options you could change in the controler, pas setting sensitivity, magnet quantity setting.But if you pedal for instance with 20kmh and stop pedaling, how long does it take till the motor stop??

Greets Sava.

Attachments

• Specification-KD21C-EN-KDS.pdf
    445 KB · Views: 251
Hi,
I have just placed order for Bewo 36v mid drive system.
This is my first ebike.
I have cancelled my order for Bafang bbs02 500w, simply because i dint want to be opening the drive and doing the maintenance.
Though there are so many reports of the Bafangs doing thousands of kilometers, i just wanted a drive that would have less probability of breaking down. I am ready to sacrifice efficiency for the same.
Reading the reviews from members who have ordered the Bewo mid drive, it seems to be a well built drive.

If this drive does fail, i have ordered a backup Q100 24v 201rpm front hub motor which i am going to run with 36v setup.

Will post the reviews once i am done with the installation.

motley said:
I Have a 48V 350W Bewo. It comes with a choice of chain wheels a 48T or a 44T which I chose as getting up hills is of more importance to me than top speed. I don't know if there is a graph or table showing at what rpm it is most efficient,but through my own personal experience,I would have preferred a smaller chainring.
It is not possible to put on a smaller chainring because if you could the chain would hit off of the casing.
My bike has 700c tyres and a 33t back cog and taking into account that I am about 95kg ,obese but reasonably active,would have much preferred a smaller chain ring had it been possible.

The Bosch motors have very small chain rings which allows them to spin up to high revs easier and in my opinion makes them more efficient at climbing hills.

Don't get me wrong,should I turn up the power on the flatter areas,it goes like the wind,but even in my lowest gear I can do 16 or 18mph, but that to me tells a story of being too highly geared.
If I were to change all my gearing to a 10/11 cassette it would be possible to fit a 12- 44T and that would be better as it would be 1:1 with the crank,however that would be quite an upheaval and expense.
I have tried the bike with a nexus 8 hub, but,however the same applies.
My objective is to be able to go up steep hills with a reasonable cadence i.e not pumping pedals while standing on them and my impression is that the lack of interchangeable chain rings detracts from this otherwise good product

There is an option for 36/38T

Tushar D said:
Hi,
This is my first ebike.
I have cancelled my order for Bafang bbs02 500w, simply because i dint want to be opening the drive and doing the maintenance.
Though there are so many reports of the Bafangs doing thousands of kilometers, i just wanted a drive that would have less probability of breaking down. I am ready to sacrifice efficiency for the same.
Reading the reviews from members who have ordered the Bewo mid drive, it seems to be a well built drive.

If this drive does fail, i have ordered a backup Q100 24v 201rpm front hub motor which i am going to run with 36v setup.

Less probability? Based on what? 3000 less posts or sales? Sorry folks but BEWO hasn't the sales for anyone to be able to declare there will be fewer problems. One simple fact remains, there are both cheap mid drives built in China.

tomjasz said:
Tushar D said:
Hi,
This is my first ebike.

Less probability? Based on what? 3000 less posts or sales? Sorry folks but BEWO hasn't the sales for anyone to be able to declare there will be fewer problems. One simple fact remains, there are both cheap mid drives built in China.

Well my assumption is wrong without using the drive. So i should not have come to the conclusion without having used the drive
I have also read many reviews of Bafang bbs running for thousands of miles. Its just that there are also reports of so many new drives failing.

Your opinion definitely counts as you have used so many bafangs.
I may be wrong but since the Bewo has metal gearing and no plastic gears, I thought that i should go for it.
I will not be spending any more money on my bike if this drive fails. That is the reason i have ordered a q100 motor. I live in India and there is not even a single vendor for bafang if i need any service or parts. International postage simply kills.

He's the thing, and I am biased. How many plastic gears fail? Why do those that fail go?
Jeebus, modern internationally flying aircraft are full of plastic parts. Modern plastic are tough. From my view only abused BBS series motors melt plastic gears. 3 resellers I know and communicate with just don't see rampant failures. The thousands of riders without problems, that don't come and post. Reviews and problem reports are biased towards the negative. Look I think the BEWO may be a good choice. I like my underpowered BBS01. Underpowered to most Americans. I just don't think we have enough data and feedback to know what BEWO fails at. EVERY motor has it's oddity. At least in my experience. Or unless you're Karl. He melts everything he touches. VBG

Yup controllers have been a problem, I'm willing to bet the BEWO will have it fail points. If I hadn't made the leap to the BBSHD I was planning on trying a BEWO kit. Much of the world can't have, or regulate, drives over 250-350W. Since the BBS01 is getting rare BEWO may be the best choice, simply by absence of the Bafang.

BTW I thought the BEWO factory was FAR more responsive than Bafang has ever been. I'd ride one. It is a homely little motor.

I like the price point of 36V batteries too!

That pinion gear looks really fragile. There's no center section to it so it probably bends under load. Also looks like it has cracks or forming marks on the teeth, but that could be grease.

Back