Boosted Boards Offering New Models, Lowers Price of Original

voodoojar said:
my boards can do that and they cost $600.

Nice product. It's a very appealing alternative in that price range to the Yuneec.

Weird slightly OT question about boards. I see yours uses 2200 watt motor, Boosted's high end is 2000, Marbel is 2000. How can Evolve's Carbon have a 350W motor and get that kind of speed? I'm clueless about boards/motors, so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Silenthunter said:
Once the design was finalized they only have to focus on production and price reduction. Do the math and then you will realize how big they are as a company.

I agree with torque one can use any number as a starting point, if bosted is a 12 million dollar company (8000 x $1500) that rocks, and simply shows the potential of the market, However seeing how they needed to try a markup and failed and then ended up trying to regain market share with with a sub par board (compared to their original product) Id tend to disagree.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
boosted has a programed speed limit in the esc (controller) because it's purchased as a complete board and legally it can only be ..20 i thought but boosted will write 23 in their ad. for california this is.
If u watch their videos they tell and its no secret the 36 volt ability of their esc could do...40? Most people here will go with 22volts but if u wanted to go faster u could do even 50volts or something, still only costing maybe 100$more. maybe the voltage isnt the only way to speed and you could use high c rated batteries. Anyone try high vs low c batteries?
Are esc programmed to pass more amps to the motor or does just the c rating and pack size determine the amp draw?
Their website quotes their entrance board at 18 mph, acording to legislation ALL MOTORIZED boards are illegal in California...
Also speed is a function of the motor's kv and battery/esc applied voltage.. the s in the battery description; not the c (which is an output limiting rate)

tung256 said:
which board for the general public can do what you are boasting? please understand not everyone has the know-how to build their own customized board from the ground up.
Tung we do not boast.. we build. 8)
This website allows non eboarder people to become eboard people. We were all noobs here the first day. And I understand some people want the ride without the hassle, and that is why torque, onloop, beetbocks, voodojar and others are in bussiness.

drmacgyver said:
Will your enclosure for the HK esc be designed for it without the fan attached?
Yup i'm printing the first one out today.. it will probably be horrible but being open sourced it will probably allow cool designers to show off their skills and then we will just be able to print our enclosures

voodoojar said:
my boards can do that and they cost $600.

hey man, thanks for letting me know. im in the market to buy 1 and shopping around. since i cant build anything, i just want 1 ready to go.
im checking out https://www.bubblegumboards.com/ and theres no dimensions anwhere... length, width, height.. can you let us know?

Hummina Shadeeba said:
boosted has a programed speed limit in the esc (controller) because it's purchased as a complete board and legally it can only be ..20 i thought but boosted will write 23 in their ad. for california this is.
If u watch their videos they tell and its no secret the 36 volt ability of their esc could do...40? Most people here will go with 22volts but if u wanted to go faster u could do even 50volts or something, still only costing maybe 100$more. maybe the voltage isnt the only way to speed and you could use high c rated batteries. Anyone try high vs low c batteries?

" Are esc programmed to pass more amps to the motor or does just the c rating and pack size determine the amp draw?
Their website quotes their entrance board at 18 mph, acording to legislation ALL MOTORIZED boards are illegal in California...
Also speed is a function of the motor's kv and battery/esc applied voltage.. the s in the battery description; not the c (which is an output limiting rate)"

Motorized boards arent illegal here in cali just illegal on public roads, sidewalks, and trails, but legal anywhere else. I cant find it now but I remember seeing a limit on electric boards (self-powered vehicle) to be sold here in cali. I think its an across-the-board limit and any fully powered vehicle cant do over 20 without more restrictions. (met someone who made an electric motorcycle called volt or the bolt he plans to kickststarter. it did 50 and he integrates a single speed small crank n pedal set to get within the bike hybrid category and then under restrictions)
Volts as i said will get you speed, also known as series or s, but the amps, which are the other end of the watts equation (750watts is 1hp) can be increased from what i read by simply using a higher discharge battery or c rating. I havent tried different batteries and am just going by what i read and wondering myself how the amps are limited to the motor
When you say the esc is a factor, is it solely its ability to handle the discharge of the batteries or are there parameters which can be set within it which maybe could be changed by the user?
But after doing a simple search...if your not getting any voltage sag, and the bstteries c rating is enough, adding higher c batteries will have a minimal effect. If you dont have a gauge telling the voltage your at would sag be experienced as simply lower speed or getting to speed and then sagging slower?

Geez, I was just going to read all the snarky comments about us as usual, but comparing us to Blackberry is going too far!

skdoo said:
Geez, I was just going to read all the snarky comments about us as usual, but comparing us to Blackberry is going too far!

Lol. Welcome Founder skdoo.

I'd say its more like Apple and the DIY are like Android. You get a nice shiny package with a higher price :p

Seriously though you do have to factor in the difference in the quality of parts on the Boosted as compared to something like the E-go. Boosted's longboard without electronics would sell for more than $250 at the skate shop. That figure is probably the bargain price and is likely much higher retail for a Loaded deck, Caliber trucks and high end Orangatang wheels/bearings. E-go sells a deck which you could pick up at wally world for like $50. So the pricing is reasonable for a $1000 single drive. Even a DIY board with Boosted components (same deck, trucks and wheels) would be about $700. So you give them some extra cash to make it for you, but you get a consumer version with all the bells and whistles, like enclosures, nice remote and such.

I'd still like to try out the flexi Loaded deck with a motor, but I've already done too many builds. I think a stiffer deck is really where its at for eboards.

Our initial build was Mamba Monster ESCs + Arduino + Wiimote (the Memorex wireless nunchuk with the receiver module's internal PCB wired via I2C to the Arduino) + Thunderpower 6s 5000 mAh LiPo + 50mm outrunners + Gates 3mm belts + some custom drivetrain pieces on a Loaded Vanguard + Otang In Heat 75mm + Bear trucks. Total cost for the early builds back in 2011 and 2012 was probably $325 for the longboard + $300 for two Castle ESCs + $100 for motors + $200 for high quality 100 watt-hour lipo + $100 for the charger + $100 for everything else. A single drive would have shaved about $200 off the cost, and a cheap longboard would shave off another $150. We also tried cheaper ESCs and batteries, but they were so unreliable it was constantly in need of new parts. Since then, the cost-reliability curve has gotten better, so I'm sure a high-quality DIY build is cheaper.

But most people who buy our boards expect them to just work, and they have no DIY skills. They can't swap parts or weld new motor mounts or solder wires or anything like that. They just want it functional and fast all the time, every day, with no maintenance. No balancing taps on the charger, no lipo packs getting puffy, no ESCs that blow up if you go too fast on the board when it's off, no belts that strip or motor mounts that start to crack. So then you build a custom ESC, BMS, drivetrain, etc. and test them on motor dynos and board dynos, test fixtures for electronics, battery load testers, etc.

I totally agree that a DIY build will have better performance and a lower price than a commercially available board. But only if you don't factor in time to both build it and fix it, and the ability to do so.

Anyway, big fan of all the builds everyone posts on here. Would love to go riding with the SF folks sometime.

Nice response skdoo. Hope the business is doing great for you guys. I know there's a lot of you guys now.

We should give you guys some credit for commercializing the "last mile vehicle". Most of us did find out about Eboards through you guys, Zboard, etc. At least I did - ZBoard(KS) then found Boosted (which sold me on the idea). I probably wouldn't of ever built my own if you guys had them in stock a few years back.

I've actually found a box of yours "BoostedBoards" at one of my welders but they aren't too far from your location either. Seems like a business nearby reused your recycled box. It was a Caliber Trucks box with your address. :mrgreen:

You guys have definitely come along ways from DIY :mrgreen:

You still are our "target" or ideal board for the most part -> besides the actual battery/motors. But you know that I'm sure. Nice to see you on the forums.

If you want to sell more boards offer a longer warranty. 6 months show a lack of confidence. A solid warranty is the real advantage you have over DIY at this point. Put a temp sensor on the motor and make the board bulletproof. Ride it in the rain. Get some quality panasonic or samsung NCA 18650 cells in your pack and double the range (with near the same size enclosure).

flathill said:
If you want to sell more boards offer a longer warranty. 6 months show a lack of confidence. A solid warranty is the real advantage you have over DIY at this point. Put a temp sensor on the motor and make the board bulletproof. Ride it in the rain. Get some quality panasonic or samsung NCA 18650 cells in your pack and double the range (with near the same size enclosure).

Wheel bearings get tore up in the rain. Not much you can do with that. Perhaps, if you completely sealed off the bearing from outside dust/dirt/air and water which is actually a good thing! I guess the bearings don't need to be exposed to the weather. A simple cover of the bearing would work. If it's really raining any flat urethane wheels won't climb any hills. Flat ground is fine but hill climbing is at a hault if your wheels can't deliver any traction to the ground. More range = more batteries = heavier board. It's a trade off unfortunately.

torqueboards said:
Nice response skdoo. Hope the business is doing great for you guys. I know there's a lot of you guys now.

We should give you guys some credit for commercializing the "last mile vehicle". Most of us did find out about Eboards through you guys, Zboard, etc. At least I did - ZBoard(KS) then found Boosted (which sold me on the idea). I probably wouldn't of ever built my own if you guys had them in stock a few years back.

I've actually found a box of yours "BoostedBoards" at one of my welders but they aren't too far from your location either. Seems like a business nearby reused your recycled box. It was a Caliber Trucks box with your address. :mrgreen:

You guys have definitely come along ways from DIY :mrgreen:

You still are our "target" or ideal board for the most part -> besides the actual battery/motors. But you know that I'm sure. Nice to see you on the forums.

Appreciate it. If you're local, we should go for a ride sometime!

torqueboards said:
flathill said:

Wheel bearings get tore up in the rain. Not much you can do with that. Perhaps, if you completely sealed off the bearing from outside dust/dirt/air and water which is actually a good thing! I guess the bearings don't need to be exposed to the weather. A simple cover of the bearing would work. If it's really raining any flat urethane wheels won't climb any hills. Flat ground is fine but hill climbing is at a hault if your wheels can't deliver any traction to the ground. More range = more batteries = heavier board. It's a trade off unfortunately.

We are pretty generous about our warranty and the board is already bulletproof. If you know anyone who is unhappy with the build quality, reliability, or service response, I would love to talk to them.

And yeah, waterproofing and more range would definitely make the board better. We're working on doing it without making other things worse.

If you want to charge a Bosch price tag, you also need to follow up with similar warranty level, which are usually 2-3 years for most of their tools. I purchased a bosch power tool with the much higher price tag, and when it failed (after 2 years), they offered collection for free. That is what should be called generous warranty service.

I don't see how 6 months warranty indicates anything generous.

cwah said:
If you want to charge a Bosch price tag, you also need to follow up with similar warranty level, which are usually 2-3 years for most of their tools. I purchased a bosch power tool with the much higher price tag, and when it failed (after 2 years), they offered collection for free. That is what should be called generous warranty service.

I don't see how 6 months warranty indicates anything generous.

Sorry, meant that we have yet, I think, to charge anyone for fixing a warranty-covered issue past the warranty period. And we also usually cover round trip shipping so the customer pays nothing. Over time I expect warranty periods will increase.

torqueboards said:
flathill said:

Just add another possible version of your board. One with extended mileage. Something around 12-15 miles is good.

skdoo said:
Snarky? Our unsolicited build oriented unbiased constructive criticism?
Well ill admit to a bit of penis envy :oops:
You guys should own the territory bringing this to the masses and it seems like you have taken a back seat and sort of lost interest in the developmens... compared to the different options that appear in this forum (as I dont partake in any other) you guys seem at a standstill.
I built my first board last year because I was unwilling to wait the long lead times to get yours. Also do something about that range. 6 miles is barely a warmup...
If you are ever in Panama i think it would be fun trying each other's boards...

Hi guys I have a Eglide on this topic but if you buy from the manufacture you get a warranty so you can be more reckless and your still covered.my esc on my glide went out 3 times in 6 months

yup... no eglide experience for me either, after that comment. :shock:
the only esc i was able to burn was my original 4s 60 amp controller... and my sentilions after racing through water puddles and shorting out...
the hobbykings, hobbywings if correctly geared are as of yet unburnable... The hobbywing with over 3000 kms on it...

Well on my note my wife plugged in my power supply to my controller which is my first. then my brother had the bright idea to go down a hill with the esc off so it regenitively spark broke my esc. and the 3rd one was me overcharging it with an inappropriate power adapter. all in all. I enjoy my Eglide I do not regret buying it. and the customer service is amazing.

beto_pty said:
skdoo said:
Snarky? Our unsolicited build oriented unbiased constructive criticism?
Well ill admit to a bit of penis envy :oops:
You guys should own the territory bringing this to the masses and it seems like you have taken a back seat and sort of lost interest in the developmens... compared to the different options that appear in this forum (as I dont partake in any other) you guys seem at a standstill.
I built my first board last year because I was unwilling to wait the long lead times to get yours. Also do something about that range. 6 miles is barely a warmup...
If you are ever in Panama i think it would be fun trying each other's boards...

I know it seems that way, but we've actually been spending this time getting our parts, especially electronics and batteries, very reliable and our supply chain and manufacturing to be strong yet low cost. We're also working on improving the boards, of course.

I would love to meet up for a ride, Panama or SF :)

skdoo said:
I would love to meet up for a ride, Panama or SF :)

Curious: is Boosted based in SF or Mountain View?

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that you guys were close to the Mountain View Caltrain station ( which is remarkably close to me ), but I might be wrong.

Back