Brushless controller tuning modifications

How is the scooter performing for you Mr Kang?Long time since we last got an update!

growler said:
How is the scooter performing for you Mr Kang?Long time since we last got an update!

It's to cold and to slippery to drive now in the Netherlands. When the weather conditions are better then i will be able to make some longer distances to test my setup. The last purchase i did was the 6S lipo monitor from Hobbycitty. First idea was to implement those 8S celllogs but the whole dashboard modification is to complicated for me. I don't have the experience and tools to cut out and work with plastic epoxy's etc to complete this.
That's why i bought this cell monitor. I just monitor 1 pack with 6 cells. I believe that all packs will have a similair output so this will be safe enough to get an overview of all cell behaviours. My goal is to drive in the summer to my work which in total is aprox. 110 km. This way i will avoid traffic jams and enjoy a nice ride in the sun. :mrgreen:

left: 2.4Ghz 6S monitor - middle: navigation Igo8 - right: CA modified with bluescreen & datalogger
IMG_0070.jpg

UPDATE:

I recently bought a LYEN 12 FET controller. After some puzzling configurations and some extra mods it finally works like a charm.
it is powered now with 22S lipo (soon 24S waiting for 2 more cells from HobbyKing which are now at the depot custom declaration)

my parameters are:

ParametersLYEN12FET.jpg

and here is a screenshot which is mae with EDATA program from OlderThanDirt : http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17458

20MAY2010.png

To charge my 22S pack config i use a Meanwell 48V/7.4A from ebay (SureElectronics) and a 500W charger in serie.
Both tuned and set for 4.19V per cell and 7.5A chargerate. Works flawless! I monitor the cells with a wireless 6S transmitter from QUANUM.
So i can monitor my cells while working in the office.

2010-01-22092538.jpg

I not yet tried the 120 speed setting. I will try this at my way back home. my top speed this morning was around 66km. So i'm currious what it will be with 120 setting! I monitored the temperature of the controller and it was around 48C...nice temp i must say.. still i want it to be cooled. But that's another project which is in progres. see here : http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18209

Here you can see my charge setup.I adjusted the meanwell to 50.4 volts. When the fan hits i double checked the voltage and it stays without any drops in a steady 50.4V. The LifePo4 Charger is also set to 50.4V. As you can see on the picture the voltage is at top and the charge is now lowered to 0.5A
this is going until zero when it reaches his voltage setpoint.
In the beginning it charges with a maximum of 7.8 A.. so for 19A to charge it will take aprox. 2,5 hours
2010-06-03122325.jpg

I taped the 2 chargers to each other and soldered the 220V/AC wires from th meanwell into the lifepo4 chager so i only have one inlet to power on.
2010-06-03122338.jpg

2010-06-03122354.jpg

My Turnigy 24S4P setup (100.8V 20Ah)

2010-06-03122422.jpg

Monitoring at desk with the Quanum v1...a version 2 is out and has the ability to measure and displaying the temperature..only 60 bucks at HobbyKing...
hmmm...sounds attempting ...
2010-06-03122513.jpg

ps cells look like unbalanced but i double checked it with another cell balancer device and it's only 0.011V I think that the Quanum is not the most precision cell level meter. But it looks cool... :mrgreen:

After 5000km ride experience on my scooter i have some modifications done and planned for upcoming week.
First i noticed that after each work ride which is aprox 50km i use an average of 18 amps of power.
My pack consists of 24S4P lipo which is 110.8V at 20Ah
These packs were build as follow: 3 packs of each 4 turnigy 6S 5Ah 20C , 1 pack of 4 turnigy 4S 5Ah 20C and finally 4 pieces of 2S 5Ah 20C.

These last 4S and 2S packs were bought in time to go from 22S to 24S , and not having much budget left to do some Lipo shopping at HK
thats why i bought some 2S packages instead of 4 6S packages. I don't have any trouble with this setup and each pack keeps perfectly balanced within safety range. ( 0.05V max)
I'm very pleased with the meanwell charger setup. These consist of 2 48V 8A MW which are in series and one is limiting the current for 8.6A.
Both are also modified with the fan resistor. The chargers aren't get any hot during charging.

Ok..so to get back...i had 20Ah total and i use like 18A ..so i decided to buy 1P more for the total setup. so ordered at HK 3 6S packs ,one 4S and a 2S. each 5Ah 25C packs..

Now i'm busy with re-organizing the packs into my scooter. My first setup was a bit messy .

old setup

IMG_0061.jpg

New setup * Coming soon this week *

INSTRUMENTS PANEL

I did an update for my instrument panel. i was irritated by my instruments and CA setup which were hold on my steering bar with tape etc.etc.
I just wanted a clean dash ! so i pulled of the old speedomeer and build in my CA together with some LEDs for turn signals and a temperature LCD meter whch sensor is located in the controller. If it's above 50C then i put on he blowers to get it arround 39 again.
My speakers consist of a Ipod logitech amp is temporarly. i will change this with a small booster and some real speakers on the lower side dashmount.

NEW DISPLAY SETUP

2010-09-25223559.jpg

LED LIGHTING

I just ordered some LED lightstrips blue colored. hopefully they will arrive on friday..
I want to place them - under rear wheel - on bottom plate - on dashboard
Just to get a Sci-Fi looking scooter riding at nights... :mrgreen:
These lights will be switched seperatly by remote...

LED-S-BL.jpg

My next gadget i want to build in is a servo motor controlled by a servo tester to adjust my headlight heigh.

Servo metal gear 2.5Kg
TGY-S3101S.jpg

And servo tester
Servodriver.jpg

UBEC power from a seperate lipopack under my seat (4S4P) which i use for power all led lights,alarm,usb-power,remote receiver..etc etc
TR-UBEC-3A.jpg

Pictures of this modification will follow after lip pack re-installation..

Well that's it for now...
I'm very hapy with my setup ! every day i hope it will not rain/storms so i can use my scooter! otherwise i will have the useuall traffic jams to get to work... :x

Display panel Old

orangedash.jpg

NEW Setup

IMG_0008-2.jpg

Turnigy 4S packs waiting to be parralleled and build into scooter battery case.

IMG_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0007-2.jpg

Controller Cooling:

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

My voltmeter just arrived from Ebay.
Sure Electronics is a nice ebay shop with many electronic gadgets for good prices.
This meter is a selfpowered blue LED display which can measure voltages between 8.5 and 30V DC
I want to hook this meter up on my seperate 4S4P pack (old ebay lipo 4ah/15C) which powers my instrumentpanel ,lights, alarm, etc etc.

2010-10-22102950.jpg

Placement will be beneath my seat. i can power it on with a simple switch.

voltmeterplacement.jpg

hehehe...looks like package heaven! My order from HK germany also arrived!
So i'm complete doing a lot of mods this weekend!!! :p :p :p

2010-10-22110605.jpg

i just noticed that the UBEC is smaller as i thought it would be.

Here some pictures what's done tis day.

This is my re-organize setup for my 24S5P lipo packs

LipoPlacement.jpg

IMG_0006-2.jpg

IMG_0005-2.jpg

IMG_0008-3.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0011-2.jpg

IMG_0009-2.jpg

IMG_0012-2.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

So at the end all my connections are easy to reach if i want to balance each pack individually. I just hav to make
a solid cover in case smething touches the tips ...ZAPPP!.... :mrgreen:

I have one of those little temp displays too - they're pretty cool and great value for what they cost.

Nice lipo collection but you need to do something about all that mess of wiring! I'd be shortening all the leads and permanantly connecting the parallel units to effectively create banks of 20ah 6S packs or what ever it is you're running. Someone in another thread suggested crimping multiple packs together with a band of copper pipe - that's what I'll be doing next time I make a large pack. With that many connections sooner or later you'll make a mistake with the series / parallel wiring and with the current capability of all the packs in parallel you'll end up with a nasty case of KFH!

Hyena said:
I have one of those little temp displays too - they're pretty cool and great value for what they cost.

Nice lipo collection but you need to do something about all that mess of wiring! I'd be shortening all the leads and permanantly connecting the parallel units to effectively create banks of 20ah 6S packs or what ever it is you're running. Someone in another thread suggested crimping multiple packs together with a band of copper pipe - that's what I'll be doing next time I make a large pack. With that many connections sooner or later you'll make a mistake with the series / parallel wiring and with the current capability of all the packs in parallel you'll end up with a nasty case of KFH!

It's a messy wiring..TRUE...but for me it's still easy to replace a defective pack. got enough room for those wires between my seat so that ain't the problem.
But the next time i will consider this option. When i replace the 4S and 2Spacks for 6S packs. but this wll be nxt summer....$$$ ....

UPDATE:

After a couple of work rides towards home it's getting darker and darker. The last time i drove home i almost saw nothing..
My LED frontlight consist of two 4W 12V Led bulbs from dealextreme. These were pretty good. Simple connection and easy to implement into my headlight unit.

But now after some rides in the dark i am not happy with them...
So..i had some previous MC-E Cree's which i purchased a year ago to build in my new setup.

I'm not that fancy story teller so here are some pics.

2010-11-07141330.jpg

2010-11-07141304.jpg

2010-11-07141223.jpg

2010-11-07194707.jpg

2010-11-07194638.jpg

2010-11-07223444.jpg

Inner Blue LED strip for glowring effect.

IMG_2177.jpg

2010-11-08144518.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

My Old lights (Photo taken with same shutterspeed & ISO)

2LED4x1W.jpg

New setup

2MC-ELED.jpg

Now to wait for the goodies from HK which were sent 2Nov.... more lights/glowleads etc to put the scooterbody

vanilla ice said:
MrKang said:
I'm not that fancy story teller so here are some pics.

A pic is worth a 1000 word story.. looks like there might be room for another 1s in there! :wink:

I still have a puffed 6S sitting arround my desk with only 1 cell which is good but a little puffed up...
i could make a 1S5P out of it...and then get a total of 25S5P....mmmmm...Sweeetttttt
Hopefully my CA will take that voltage and won't get hurt...anybody ?
What is the highest voltage you can give a standard CA ? now it''s 101.3 maximum...

Back