Copper or silver colored wires

Anio58

10 mW
I have these Anderson to xt60 connectors. The wire looks like copper. And my ebike controller wires are silver colored as well as my battery. Connecting copper and silver colored wires would be hazardous correct ?

Technically, I think that applies to house wiring and connecting copper/'silver' wires, where the silver was an old aluminum wire that caused a whole host of troubles...and fires.

Sounds like you are talking modern day electronics where the 'silver' is likely a nickel or tin flash plating on copper wire. In that case, you should be fine connecting them... especially if soldering. They are all going to be 'silver' in the end, anyway.

4πr^2 said:
Technically, I think that applies to house wiring and connecting copper/'silver' wires, where the silver was an old aluminum wire that caused a whole host of troubles...and fires.

Sounds like you are talking modern day electronics where the 'silver' is likely a nickel or tin flash plating on copper wire. In that case, you should be fine connecting them... especially if soldering. They are all going to be 'silver' in the end, anyway.
There is also copper plated Aluminum wire. Seems to be popular in audio applications.
In electronics some wire is tinned copper (basically a very thin layer of solder). My point is that silver, gold, copper, aluminum or brass color does not mean much unless you are looking at a cross-section cut of the wire.

If you scrape the skin of some of the silvery wire strands, you may find a copper core. Copper strands are commonly "tinned" with a variety of coatings for corrosion resistance.

They should solder to connectors just fine.

Thankyou for your reply. Also may I ask ? I have these certain molex Connectors and the pins that came with t hgt em are brass. May I also use these with the aluminum or copper coated wires ? These are for the hall sensor wires.

Anio58 said:
Thankyou for your reply. Also may I ask ? I have these certain molex Connectors and the pins that came with them are brass. May I also use these with the aluminum or copper coated wires ? These are for the hall sensor wires.

Anio58 said:
Thankyou for your reply. Also may I ask ? I have these certain molex Connectors and the pins that came with t hgt em are brass. May I also use these with the aluminum or copper coated wires ? These are for the hall sensor wires.
Sensor wires do not carry much current or voltage. As long as you are using "crimp" connectors it should not make any difference if they are copper or aluminum or copper coated aluminum. Copper has the lowest resistance of any metal except pure silver. High current cables like the battery or motor phase power cables should be copper.

Attachments

• ELECTRICAL RESISTIVITY.xls
    20 KB · Views: 7
LewTwo said:
Sensor wires do not carry much current or voltage. As long as you are using "crimp" connectors it should not make any difference if they are copper or aluminum or copper coated aluminum.
It doens't make any difference to the current carrying ability of those small signals...but if you are using different metals in direct contact with each other and there is suffiicient humidity, the contact areas between the two metals may eventually corrode from galvanic processes.

Depends on the specific metals, the voltage, contact resistance, etc. Some info here
https://l-36.com/corrosion.php
that may be useful; it's mostly about seawater usage, but still applies to galvanic corrosion potentials regardless.

So it doesn't matter if they are brass and Aluminum and or coated ? Mixed ? 1 connector brass and its match is aluminum, copper and or coated.

Back