Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

liveforphysics said:
The trick of going to parties my friend, is to leave with equal-to or less-than the number of crabs you arrived with. ;)

I've been to parties (albeit many years ago) where there weren't any crabs on the menu but I nevertheless found a fair few of the irritating little buggers living "you know where" a few days later, so I must have left with more than I brought.................

Jeremy

(in case it doesn't translate, "crabs" is a colloquial expression here for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_louse a fairly common consequence of the lifestyle during the "free love" period that I grew up in)

Thud said:
!!!THHWWAACKKK!!!!!

you have just been struck with a snow-ball.......squarly in the throat......

looks like a lovely get-together & fresh seafood. very nice! (FLIPS KIM THE BIRD IN TOTAL JELLOUSY)
Oh & i like the prawn tail wheel mounts on the stabilizer.
we also enjoyed a balmy 30deg today :mrgreen:

EDIT:(edit to flip Goodrum the BIRD also LOL)

BWAHAHA.... poor ThudSteR stuck in the snow and cold weather, look
on the bright side buddy, with all the time inside you get to work on the
next master piece ;)

@Gary yup they are very nice my second favorite seafood next to big tiger prawns....and another hottie
today that cut the day short a lil, got alot done still not quite complete though but should easily knock the remaining work
on the stabilizers over tomorrow morning before it heats up ;) PayPaled you today to mate shouldn't take too long
to transfer has gotten faster since i got me a mastercard debit card hooked up to the account :)

LiveForPhysics said:
The trick of going to parties my friend, is to leave with equal-to or less-than the number of crabs you arrived with. ;)

..ROFL....tell ya what boyz, these days with the ladies and their Brazilian 'hair styles' the poor ol crabs have
limited forestation in which to 'make a home', ShiT! some are just plain baron :shock: poor lil critters would have no cover at all :( :mrgreen:

@Hyena..
aaaagh haha dear, you do lob yourself right in the firing line don't you my frock wearing friend, like
we are going to buy your missus out there mowin the lawn whilst you lounge in the poool :lol: Tell ya
what gtadmin, if ol Missus Hyena seez this we won't hear from our stocking loving friend for awhile, the
"Dog House" ain't got interwebz hooked upto it yet :lol:

cheers all...have some pics of today's work shall save them and up with everything else tomorrow...

KiM

AussieJester said:
like we are going to buy your missus out there mowin the lawn whilst you lounge in the poool :lol:

I told her I'd do it when I got out but she was impatient so started up the mower herself. I must have lost track of time while splashing about, I was about to get out but before I knew it she was done :p

Hot and humid in West OZ & cyclone on its way down from the North West
due to hit today or tomorrow somewhere on the South of the coast
resulted in a horribly sticky day in the workshop yesterday ... I also
had issues with the welding, turns out the brothers welder
wasn't up to welding 4mm plate to 16mm rod, well not in the middle
of it anywayz, Timma2500 and myself came to the conclusion
too much heat dissipation in the center of the stabilizer to weld
on the 4mm thick mounting tabs, apparently though enough juice to weld the
mounting plates for the wheels on the ends of the stabilizer bars as these i
welded on easily...

Thanks to the 'two Pauls'..Timma2500 and my best mate Snapper for their assistance
in the arvo lining everything up for an attempt at getting the mounting system finished...
better luck today, (more on that below)... We did manage to get the bar tacked long enough to
raise and lower the stabilizer, she will work a treat when all welded solid, the bars raise
high up and out of the way, so no chance of hitting on those big lean angles...likely only to be seen
on the way to the ground when falling off...unless of course ThudSTaR 8) ever gets to these parts
and takes it for a blat :shock: :lol:

STablizer_series_pic_2.jpg

As can be seen, i have also knocked up a couple of new 'wheels' from polyethylene the
original 'lightening holed' wheel was actually a chain tensioner i made early in the piece
for the old blue cruiser's original belt drive setup...

Now the bars still remain unattached and my bro grabbed his welder this morning, not that
it was usable to finish the job: :-S anyhoot..Last night Snapper offered to pick me and the bike
up in the 'Bengenering work truck' take it to work and use the industrial grade MiG to
weld it up... 7.45am this morning, phone rings .. It's Snapper he is on his way up, bringing
one of the MiGs from work to finish the job WooTz! ;)

LiPO.jpg

I got LiPO! yesterday too! all cells bar one are between 3.84-85v the odd one out is 3.79v...reckon i can live
with that, shall cycle them a few times i think we will then have all cells perfectly balanced
and ready to roll... I have a Hyperion EOS-1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger on the way thanks to Mr GGoodrum and a pair of 24v Meanwels to complete my
bulk charging/balancing setup... These are great value chargers TPPacks.com offering ES member's a $US50 discount off advertised price! get in quick while the offer lasts!

More soon chaps..

KiM

p.s Jay ... :: shakes head :: not buying pal, i seen your missus shes that tiny she'd be lucky to push the mower out the garage let alone mow the lawn :mrgreen:

SO...we got to welding the stabilizer arm up since last post
and the bike is now free standing at last, i have climbed on
and tested her for size, shes perfect and the seat strangely is
not that bad for my broke ass to sit on...for short rides at least :lol:

Free_standing_pic.jpg

The stabilizers hold me steady just as planned, there is slight flexing
but its not a problem when i am on the bike, i like the look of the setup
its not as 'obvious' as the stabilizers on the blue cruiser IMO......

The Hyperion EOS 1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger...
from Mr GGoodrum along with a Meanwel charger were also delivered on friday..
I went about hooking them up for a test last night...

Meanwel_Hyperion_series_pic.jpg

I drilled a hole and fitted a rubber grommet in the back of the Meanwel
to run an AC power cord, i find this setup favorable over hanging the cords
out the front of the supply.

I have started fabricating a bus bar system for the bike,
battery setup in favor of a heap of wires to parallel the packs up
The bars are cut from 3mm thick copper plate i had lying around the
idea came from one of Liveforphysics drawings in the EVdrag car
thread on this forum, albeit in a much scaled down version
cheers Luke ;).

Bus_bars_series_pic_1.jpg

The bus bars are mounted to polyethylene which will then be bolted
to the right angle alumnium on the main panel 4 lipo packs
per side for 44v 20ah setup...If i lay the packs end to end i can
actually fit 30ah worth in, but seeing i never used more than 12ah out
of the 20ah pack in the cruiser, i settled on the 20ah arrangement...
For those worried about shorts between the two bars, the black
plexi in above pics will cover the bus bars, what about water
i hear some asking LoL... siiif this bike will ever see wet weather
conditions I dont ride in the wet...Should make for a neat
setup i think, pack wires will be under 2inch long an inch
of that a bullet connector :D

Hope to solder the connectors to the bus bar today and finish
mounting it to the alumnium angle...more soon

KiM

Hey, very nice fabrication work Aussie. Looking forward to seeing this one moving. 8)

I see you live up in Lesmurdie ... I did a lot of growing up in the hills there and recognise the streets in your videos ... got a mate that lives just around the corner from you. Are you an LSHS alumni? :) I'm in Cloverdale these days, but the olds still live up there so I'm up pretty regularly (also the missus has been grumbling lately about moving up there ... we'll see).

Cheers,

Simon.

Metallover said:
Looks really good! I love following your projects KiM keep up the good work! :D

Thanks mate appreciate the support ;)

sico said:
Hey, very nice fabrication work Aussie. Looking forward to seeing this one moving. 8)

I see you live up in Lesmurdie ... I did a lot of growing up in the hills there and recognize the streets in your videos ... got a mate that lives just around the corner from you. Are you an LSHS alumni? :) I'm in Cloverdale these days, but the olds still live up there so I'm up pretty regularly (also the missus has been grumbling lately about moving up there ... we'll see). .

HAHA heeeell no i ain't LSHS :p I'm a Mazza boi live a stones throw from Mazenod College..Most the fellas i habg out with hrmz, in fact all of them, are ex-Lesmurdie Senior HigjSchool though, how old are you? you might have gone to school with them yourself haha small world and all....It's a great spot to live up here lil pricey but worth it and only 25 or so kilometers from the City ;)

Cheers fellas...heading out to do some more work in the shop now ;)

KiM

AussieJester said:
Metallover said:
Looks really good! I love following your projects KiM keep up the good work! :D

Thanks mate appreciate the support ;)

sico said:

I see you live up in Lesmurdie ... I did a lot of growing up in the hills there and recognize the streets in your videos ... got a mate that lives just around the corner from you. Are you an LSHS alumni? :) I'm in Cloverdale these days, but the olds still live up there so I'm up pretty regularly (also the missus has been grumbling lately about moving up there ... we'll see). .

HAHA heeeell no i ain't LSHS :p I'm a Mazza boi live a stones throw from Mazenod College..Most the fellas i habg out with hrmz, in fact all of them, are ex-Lesmurdie Senior HigjSchool though, how old are you? you might have gone to school with them yourself haha small world and all....It's a great spot to live up here lil pricey but worth it and only 25 or so kilometers from the City ;)

Cheers fellas...heading out to do some more work in the shop now ;)

KiM

Yep, I know Mazenod well, having been chased from the oval by secruity more than a couple of times in the early nineties. We were just looking for a place to hang out. :wink: Of course all the schools these days are surrounded by 10 foot barbed wire fences ... kids today must be that much worse than we were, eh? :roll:

I'm class of '92, however old that makes me ... older than I'd prefer but not old enough to complain about being old. :|

Simon

Hi AJ, re your busbars:

How did you attach the 4mm bullets (drill a neat hole, chamfer (similar to "weld prep"), press fit, then solder)? That's how I had intended building mine, but out of 1.6mm copper so I'm interested in how you have done yours prior to me doing mine :D .

Edit: I forgot to ask: are you away from the bushfire? (I don't know the layout of Perth)

Cheers,
GT

@GTadmin... I haven't soldered the bullets as yet,
you are correct with a 4mm hole they 'press' into
the copper and are solid, i think filling the bullet
with solder using a 130w iron i'll get enough heat
in the area to secure them, shall let ya know lil later today
if this fails I'll simply use a butane torch, as to the
the fires, they are close to me but still the other
side of the 'hill' and i'm in no danger at all.
Something like 60 houses have been burnt too
the ground in the last 3 days. My friends fathers
house in RolleyStone was one of them. Two other
of my friends were evacuated from their houses
but fortunately the 90km/hr wind changed direction
as such the fire did and their houses were unaffected.
I wouldn't have liked to be a fireman thats for sure
temps into the mid 30C all weekend...i wonder if
our resident fireman Matt.P was involved? The
fire now is thankfully under control.

The bus bars...shaped the plexi and fitted the pieces yesterday afternoon, then mounted them on the bike

bus_bar_series_pics_2.jpg

I shall tackle the soldering today, i am off to local electronics
store late this afternoon (friends driving me) too pick
up the connections for the battery harness, switch
few other bits and pieces to complete the wiring...

I did some work on a friend of a friends laptop on the
weekend, needed a new hard drive and formatting
the fella who's lappy it was, came across a Gell Seat
cover thought it would be perfect for my bike, well
it doesn't fit properly and doesn't look the best, but
anything helps my broke ass, its 100% more comfy...

Gell_seat.jpg

I also scored a bike frame/fork its the most unusual looking
frame, originally had a ICE motor mounted on it, i shall
take pics today and post it, i might build it up as
an ebike and flog it off to make me some pocket
money... Got a good deal on a 9C frock for me
HiGHSiDE Hyena :!: :?: SiiiiiiiF :p

Back soon guys

KiM

Good to know you are safe from those flames Kim ...that is a real bad scene ..:shock:
I hope it was not your angle grinder sparks that kicked it all off :lol:
I Sydney, we got a very welcome cool change on sunday arvo.. dropped from 40+ down to 20+ in a few hours ... nice to be able to sleep comfy again ! 8)

AussieJester said:
Got a good deal on a 9C frock for me
Just say the word mate. Sif you wanna sell an unreliable chain drive set up to someone. It'd be broken by the time they got to the end of your driveway and you'd have no end of 'customer service' issues :p

Hillhater said:
I Sydney, we got a very welcome cool change on sunday arvo.. dropped from 40+ down to 20+ in a few hours
Yeah what was with that! The cool change could have come half an hour earlier, while I was standing over a BBQ sweating my gonads off!

Hyena said:
..The cool change could have come half an hour earlier, while I was standing over a BBQ sweating my gonads off!

Yep, I spent the morning dragging a golf kart around a hilly course, must have sweated half a slab..then as i sat down on a boat to relax...it starts raining and blowing !! :x

Looking great Kim. I love the bus bar idea. So simple and so clean. Saves on lots of wires to clean up and connections to solder. This is bike is going to be show room in and out.

Good to hear the fires are over the 'hill' from you. Oz is just getting hammered every where. I hope everyone is ok over there.

Clay

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
Got a good deal on a 9C frock for me
Just say the word mate. Sif you wanna sell an unreliable chain drive set up to someone. It'd be broken by the time they got to the end of your driveway and you'd have no end of 'customer service' issues :p

Yeeees like the super reliable 9C bike you sold the tart that smashed her car, how many things went wrong
with that again Jay?! Didn't she end up demanding her money back? ROFL...yup super reliable them frock setups :lol: :mrgreen: .

flyinmonkie said:
Looking great Kim. I love the bus bar idea. So simple and so clean. Saves on lots of wires to clean up and connections to solder. This is bike is going to be show room in and out.

Cheers buddy, i wanted a simply minimal wire setup that not only looked the business but performed well
my cruiser setup ain't too bad but i wanted to go one better, thanks to Liveforphysics lil diagram in another thread
the ol brain was triggered :idea: :idea: haha... I forgot to mention to, the plexi is to be replaced with carbon fiber, i bought sheet
off Recumpence, the plexi looks neat but will simply be a template to mark CF panels out with ;) There
are several other 'parts' that are now alumnium, that will also be re-done in CF.... :: wink ::

Cheers all........cept Hyena he 5uxz0|25 h4|2|)c0|23 :mrgreen: :lol:

KiM

p.s @GTAdmin...a lil butane torch is definately required to solder the bullets on the soldering iron doesn't cut it i'm afraid...

AussieJester said:
... if this fails I'll simply use a butane torch, as to the
the fires, they are close to me but still the other
side of the 'hill' and i'm in no danger at all.
Something like 60 houses have been burnt too
the ground in the last 3 days. My friends fathers
house in RolleyStone was one of them. Two other
of my friends were evacuated from their houses
but fortunately the 90km/hr wind changed direction
as such the fire did and their houses were unaffected ....
KiM
Glad to hear that KiM, unfortunate for the people in that area and my heart goes out to them and the guys in Qld, first floods, then cyclone, poor bastards (including the "mexicans") :cry: Even the Sydney-siders with 45s, unusual weather for them I 'spose, normal here except we haven't had 48s yet! We caught a huge thunderstorm (influenced by Yasi), just knocked out interweb and phones for 3 days so were lucky, but the north is flooding so we'll see.

... p.s @GTAdmin...a lil butane torch is definately required to solder the bullets on the soldering iron doesn't cut it i'm afraid...
Thanks for the info (thought so with the 3mm thick stuff)

Are you hooking the the +ve from your cell group 1 to -ve of cell group 2 with your busbar? That way you only need to have a wire connected to +ve of cell group 2 and -ve of cell group 1 = 2 wires @ 44.4V 20Ah for supply (and bulk charging). However, if you are only ever going to use the balance charger, don't read this :lol:

Cheers,
GT

gtadmin said:
Are you hooking the the +ve from your cell group 1 to -ve of cell group 2 with your busbar? That way you only need to have a wire connected to +ve of cell group 2 and -ve of cell group 1 = 2 wires @ 44.4V 20Ah for supply (and bulk charging). However, if you are only ever going to use the balance charger, don't read this :lol:

Yes i will be doing exactly that, i will be bulk charging AND balancing
all with one plug, just got back from JayCar with the gear i need to complete
the wiring, what there is of it anywayz LoL... Checkout GGoodrums Hyperion Review GTadmin, theres a excellent example by a member great pics shows you how i will be doing the wiring...

Back soon with pics of the wiring harness..

KiM

olaf-lampe said:
I'm not sure about carbon beeing electrically isolating, since carbon is nothing else than graphite? IIRC the first lightbulbs came with a carbon wire...
Off course with the resin covering the fibres , nothing can happen. :(
Anyone with more insight than me, light us up :D
-Olaf

Good point, shall lookz into that olaf cheers, i also been thinking, when i assemble the bus bar setup for the final time, nothing stopping me
using a thin 'film/layer' of silicone sealant between all parts this would
in the event of moisture prtect from shorts.... anyhoot, i have now
soldered bullet connectors to 3 of the 4 bus bars, my 11 dollar butane torch is working a treat ...

KiM

gtadmin said:
AussieJester said:
... my 11 dollar butane torch is working a treat ...

KiM
Where from KiM? I had a bopeep and it was about x10 that :oops: Gonna look neat mate!

JayCar buddy...

productLarge_14035.jpg

4 cans of Butane on special at Bunnings for $5.95 too

KiM

Back