Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

Get that camera sorted AJ, PrettyDamnQuick :wink: we need to see all this lovely stuff as it happens 8)

AJ wrote:

...I have one of Burties Timing adjusting (TA) doodas but have yet to 'play' with it, i thought first i would
give the bike a run...

Good idea man, get any gremlins out of that new Motor + Hall sensor + Controller installation first.
Dont want to change too many things at once.

Burtie

This is one build I am really looking forward to see running.Always well documented and of a high standard especially considering they are build at home with basic tools. Hard work always pays off. It's good to have another Another Australian ebiker running a similar drive,motor and electronics as I will be dealing with soon.

AJ,
I have a little Apitec HD 720p digital video camera its also a 5MP camera. It takes a standard SD card. We don't use it any more as we got a new one last year. Its a cheap Chinese brand from K mart but if you want it I am happy post it to you for free.

Pm me your address and I will post it Monday morning if you like.

Kurt.

Sorry for the late reply fellas i was hoping to have some pics to go with this post
I took a HEAP yesterday and we got some video of me riding the bike, i haven't though
got the footage here, i road the bike to a bar-b-q the mates and I organized at a local
park (3 of us have birthdays within a week of each other so bit of a joint celebration)
I had my wheelchair picked up by mates missus was rather risky for a first ride
doing 6km through the hills with no wheelchair behind me (i cant get on this bike from the ground if i fall)
So with a borrowed cell phone and no wheelchair in tow i set out hoping i had bolted everything up right LoL
All went smoothly, thankfully. Anywayz...it will be a day or two before i see Mick and his
camera so i can offload the stills and video to my pc

gtadmin said:
AJ said:
Thought i would make a post letting all interested know the bike is ready for its
first test ride today (soon as charged)
Is it a goer? (GT crosses fingers no gremlins appeared)

HAHA yes mate it IS a goer! Went for ~12km test ride with only one fall haha trying to get off the grass at the park
through the barricades onto the road as two drunk friends tried holding me and the bike up, didn't go so well :lol: ..

comradegerry said:
C'ant wait to see the the finished product in all its glory, you are an inspiration and you really do set the bar for the other bike builders to emulate. :) Maximum Respect.

Thankyou for the kind words comradegerry, shall run the bike for a month or so to iron out
any problems that may need attention before stripping it for paint and any modifications needed ;)

Kurt said:
This is one build I am really looking forward to see running.Always well documented and of a high standard especially considering they are build at home with basic tools. Hard work always pays off. It's good to have another Another Australian ebiker running a similar drive,motor and electronics as I will be dealing with soon.

Cheers mate, Anything you feel i might be able to help you with don't hesitate to pm or email me at
aussiejester@iinet.net.au Kurt, more than happy to help out if i can ;) Best of luck with the
project.

Kurt said:
AJ,
I have a little Apitec HD 720p digital video camera its also a 5MP camera. It takes a standard SD card. We don't use it any more as we got a new one last year. Its a cheap Chinese brand from K mart but if you want it I am happy post it to you for free.

Pm me your address and I will post it Monday morning if you like.

Thankyou Kurt this is extremely generous of you, shall put the camera to good use when it arrives ~Wednesday
definitely a big help financially i don't get a great deal to 'play' with each week after the bills are paid, i can
re-direct money i was going to pay for a cheap camera to more carbon fiber for the enclosure now ;)

Burtie said:
Get that camera sorted AJ, PrettyDamnQuick :wink: we need to see all this lovely stuff as it happens 8)

get any gremlins out of that new Motor + Hall sensor + Controller installation first.
Dont want to change too many things at once.

Burtie

We is on it, thanks to Kurt i will have a working camera mid week Burtie, also took a heap yesterday,
expect copious amounts of pics and videos to make up for the lack of pics lately ;) BIG Thankyou
also Burtie for getting his newly released timing adjustment doo-hicky out too me, i will be having a play with this in coming days, yes
the infineon programing needs to be sorted first, currently its running very very low settings
so performance is likeable to a direct drive frock motor off the mark i.e snot-like :mrgreen: It does
however run smoothly just lacks power, i am used to the acceleration the Castle Creations HV160s give,
the infineon is light years behind that currently not even in the same universe, i hope when i raise the
phase and battery settings things will improve realistically though I can't see it getting within a country
mile of my HV160 equipped cruiser. Low speed throttle control is good, but IMO only marginally better
than my HV160 definitely nothing to get excited about. What is alot better is the range of throttle movement
in comparison to power delivery Takes alot of movement to get alot of power with the hv160 its little throttle
movement for a HUGE amount of power LoL.. At the end of the day i'm regretting going with an Infineon
a this stage the Castle Creation hv160 IMO is fair better controller for my use, i shall however press on hopefully
next post here will be me celebrating how much better the Infineon is with TA installed and phase currents
upped...i ain't holding my breath though Jermey Harris controller with your TA Burtie, might be the answer :wink:

The bike other than the controller is outstanding better than i could have hoped, its hugely more
comfortable for me to ride than the cruiser, both the seat and the pedal locations are the reason for this
I had no speedo but i would of been doing close to 70-75km/hr on the return
trip home coming down a slight hill the bike was absolutely rock solid stable couldn't be happier with the handling.
I could ride this bike for 20km easy i think before my broken ass complained OH and the front suspension
maaaaaate its the ducks nuts Marzocchi tripple trees FTW

The best though the most outstanding feature was hands down the 2 Speed ThudSTaR 8) box extremely
quiet its no louder than my Recumpence single stage reduction drive setup on the cruiser in fact
i think it's quieter now i run all chains on Matts reduction drive :-| . Having that second gear Thud
WOW i new it would be good but
smiley-faces-84.gif
you is e-gearbox GOD ThudSteR! If anyone ever gets offered one of Thuds gearboxes don't hesitate to grab it
you won't be disappointed guaranteed! ....So, I hit around 40 in first then change to second and cruise effortlessly
and so quietly at legal posted speeds DAMN this things going to get me in a whole lot of trouble
with the law :: scurries around looking for Hyena's 200 watt stickers :: :mrgreen:

I'm working on a couple of PCs atm hope to be finished by lunchtime then ill be back 'fine tuning' the bike
see if we can't get some more mojo out of this Infineon.

Thanks to all for the kind words of support :)

KiM

Kim,
Let me be the first to congratulate you on the maiden voyage! :twisted:
I liked your old cruiser, but this latest HOBO is a whole different class of ebike. It has every gadget and upgrade imaginable, and alot of parts not available to the general public (thudstar special sauce). I guess we will have to wait till Wednesday to see some pics. Happy Birthday bro.

Oh yeah, was it truly a JOINT celebration? :wink:

Awesome to hear the bike is all over a winner. I, like everyone else, am looking forward to pics and vids. It will be interesting to see what you can get out of the infineon. Good to hear the comparison with the CC hv160

Clay

etard said:
Kim,
Let me be the first to congratulate you on the maiden voyage! :twisted:
I liked your old cruiser, but this latest HOBO is a whole different class of ebike. It has every gadget and upgrade imaginable, and alot of parts not available to the general public (thudstar special sauce). I guess we will have to wait till Wednesday to see some pics. Happy Birthday bro.

Oh yeah, was it truly a JOINT celebration? :wink:

Thanks mate, yes this is definitely a different sort of bike unfortunately a broken one already haha.. I was readjusting
the gear lever earlier this afternoon spinning it over while up on the stabilizer it cut out didn't think much of it turned controller
off then on and it just didn't appear to be any power at all it was tuning the back wheel over at what seemed like half pace. Little later, Matt.P arrived to take pics and have a ride, when he took it to ride it refused to go far at all, thought the hall bracket might of moved so readjusted seemed to run fine Matt got out onto the road and its back to half power.... Anywayz...Matt got some pics for me cheers again buddy ;) I have put most of them up Matt they all turned out really well!

cruiser_mock_up_series_pic_1.jpg

Yes the chains are up side down...

Shall post the ones i took along with the video when i get them actually spoke to mate Mick and he is going to try and get up tomorrow so see how we go .. He said the video turned out really good so i am anxious to see it also.

Back soon chaps more work to do group ride with Hyena this Friday i hope i can sort out what has happened i haven't a clue what it could be.

KiM

Been studying those pictures for a bout 15 minutes now. Bloody beautiful. Great work Kim. I got to see this bike close up one day soon. I am traveling to WA a fair bit these days. Hopefully can catch up some time soon.

Good stuff mate!
Don't break it before I get there later in the week though!!
EDIT: ARRRGGH, you DID break it in the time i took me to type this post! Geez that must be some sort of record :lol:

What current settings are you running on the infineon ? That'd be your main draw back I'd think, rather than any of the other settings. I can't see you getting the same power out of it that you did from HV160, even with the 2 big fans you're running.

Once you get the bugs worked out of the infinion, and run that motor on 24s, you're going to forget you ever had an HV160, and you're going to wonder how you survived all that time on just 48v. :)

The bike is just stunning my friend. Absolutely fantastically beautiful and well done everywhere.

I love it.

PS: Crank that controller to the moon, and monitor the temps. I bet with those 2 big ass fans it will be able to do 100amps continuous like a champ.

PPS: Does the Thud motor even get warm?

Wow, Wow, and Wow :D :D :D More technology on that bike than any other here :mrgreen: Great work :!:

AussieJester said:
gtadmin said:
AJ said:
Thought i would make a post letting all interested know the bike is ready for its
first test ride today (soon as charged)
Is it a goer? (GT crosses fingers no gremlins appeared)

HAHA yes mate it IS a goer! Went for ~12km test ride with only one fall haha trying to get off the grass at the park
through the barricades onto the road as two drunk friends tried holding me and the bike up, didn't go so well :lol: ..
KiM
Phew!

AussieJester said:
... yes this is definitely a different sort of bike unfortunately a broken one already haha.. I was readjusting
the gear lever earlier this afternoon spinning it over while up on the stabilizer it cut out didn't think much of it turned controller
off then on and it just didn't appear to be any power at all it was tuning the back wheel over at what seemed like half pace.
KiM
Shit, sorry mate :oops:

After you work your way through the teething problems and have a spare 5 mins, a closeup of your very neat wiring would be appreciated. Can hardly wait to see the final product though! 8) Good luck with the fault-finding!

Cheers mate,
GT

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION:
LFP said:
"PS: Crank that controller to the moon, and monitor the temps. I bet with those 2 big ass fans it will be able to do 100amps continuous like a champ.

PPS: Does the Thud motor even get warm?"

Luke is looking for plasma entertainment again LOL! (nasty boy) IF that xiechang has irfb3077's in it you are limited to 18s

& sorry to hear about the controller gremlins....they live in mine also..I have 2 units that suddenly just stopped...no heat no drama...just stopped. (makes me think something simple just poped & could be an easy fix......just need a decent schmatic for these newer 12fet boards.....anyone?

I have yet to run an infineon that didn't feel like "Weak Sauce" compaired to the whallop the HV160's will deliver.
gearing optomised & back to back runs...the HV wins so far....on deck-Jerrmy Harris lobotomy 1controllers

Anyway, its good to hear the bike rolles proper & works.....it does look like my home made anodising is fading pretty fast :cry:

After your little bit of riding I gotta ask....Would you ever be satified with a single speed again?
When the time comes for the drag bike set up...I am your power train mechanic...dual row chain 2-speed with an air shift to make that lecky gofast straightliner booggie! I have a marrs motor here i can work from :wink:

GOOD TO HEAR YOU GOT IT IT GOING! Sorry to hear the problems, but I guess they come with the territory. I got mine up just in time for a night blast through the neighborhood, so far so good, but I have yet to turn up the wick though so we will see!! Great looking machine friend!Hope to see the vids soon!Yeah being able to shift ROCKS! You need the 8 speeds I got though! LOL!

AussieJester said:
group ride with Hyena this Friday i hope i can sort out what has happened i haven't a clue what it could be.
Convenient that your bike is suddenly stuck at half power when I'm coming to town. Face it, you're making excuses up front for the performance of your precious RC drive motors :p :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
group ride with Hyena this Friday i hope i can sort out what has happened i haven't a clue what it could be.
Convenient that your bike is suddenly stuck at half power when I'm coming to town. Face it, you're making excuses up front for the performance of your precious RC drive motors :p :mrgreen:

Help him program that thing, and get it on 18s (if it's running IRF3077's, 24s if it's on IRFB4110's). It will go hard. :)

Yeah it'll scream on 18S!
I'm taking my go pro along, I'm sure the lure of 1080p footage for the ages will convince him to man up :mrgreen:

By the time I head home someone will have fallen and won't be able to get up.
This is a somewhat normal state for both Kim and I :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers for all the encouragement fellas...

@Luke.. I am fully aware all you want to see is a blown controller and or motor, for your personal enjoyment Luke, good advice to someone that has little money to begin with thanks for that :roll:

@Jay... I have a hv160 on the cruiser mate, if i haven't sorted this 12fet out by lunch its being removed from the old
cruiser and fitted to new bike until i can get the Infineon working properly.

Not 5 minutes ago i started programing the controller...I set the phase current at 100 and battery at 50 (actually copied
exactly the settings Thud gave me weeks ago) Fired the bike up and it revved beautifully to full power i thought excellent was a programing issue, i thought hrmz, how about a lil load on it, so i slightly applied the rear brake when the throttle was full power controller immediately reverted to half power-ish i continued to hold throttle flat out and applied brake hard it completely stopped. I turn controller off then on the motor stutters as it would when the halls are not in correct placement, this is exactly what it did yesterday.... Obviously i have done something to it, any genuine offers to help with the issue welcomed as i said above though if i haven't got it solved by midday i will have to start work on fitting the hv 160 to it for group ride, i need something that will sit Hyena on his ass :mrgreen: soon as he hits the throttle... if this shit Infineon isn't capable of it I know hv160 most definitely is.

Thanks again to those that posted serious congrats and compliments...

ThudSTeR would NEVER have a bike without gears fact! Having you in on the drag bike build would be EPIC! Thankyou :)

KiM

p.s couple lads dropped in yesterday had them weigh the bike for me its 38kilo all up under the 40kilo mark i wanted and 7 kilo lighter than the ol cruiser :) Without the actuator and stabilizer i would be knocking on 30kilo, not too bad for a steel framed bike of this size carrying 20ah worth of lipo i thought ;)

AussieJester said:
@Luke.. I am fully aware all you want to see is a blown controller and or motor, for your personal enjoyment Luke, good advice to someone that has little money to begin with thanks for that :roll:
haha don't be a nancy :p your controller will take it. Surely your beefed up thudster rewound motor will too ?

It does sound like a hall issue though if you've got full power at no load.
I'd be having a close look at the hall placement given you've done this 'aftermarket' Something vibrated loose and moved slightly out of alignment perhaps ?
It could be in the wiring too, like a dry joint on one of the sensors ?

I have a new sensorless 12 fet infineon sitting here I could bring over if you want. I ordered it in for someone but they're not returning my calls about coming to collect it :roll: I'm not sure what the performance would be like with the RPM of your motor, or if it could actually handle it. It's stock at the moment but I can beef up the traces and you could swap cases for your aircooled one.

And yeah, if not for your wobbley legs 30kg is pretty impressive with a 20ah pack!

Cheers for the suggestions Jay, having just done all the wiring i can safely say it ain't a broken or dry solder joint...I do have some spare hall sensors i also have one of Lyens testers i can check halls with that. I also know by simply looking at the hall sensor mount and bracket that nothing has physically moved. How does it go from working right one day then crap the next. This sort of unreliability is not good for one with 'wobbly legs' Couple more hours of fiddling and ill can the lot and re-fit it with the hv160 for some real performance.

KiM

EDiT: I think it is definitely hall related upon further close inspection... I have no idea how this is happening but looking directly into the end of the motor at the stator and middle hall alignment when i rev the motor hard the whole freakin stator is moving throwing the hall sensor alignment out WTF WTF WTF?!?! I can't even see how this is possible its moving a good 5 mm When i move the halls to compensate the bloody thing runs perfect again then it moves again its going backward and forth with the torque. Pulling it out now to see WTF is going on here.

Back