E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Nice lights Hyena , I love riding on warm nights , more enjoyable than day rides I think .
Rix , I couldn`t imagine riding in minus 13c . Don`t think I`d leave the house . Thats beyond cold .

Brute said:
Nice lights Hyena , I love riding on warm nights , more enjoyable than day rides I think .
Rix , I couldn`t imagine riding in minus 13c . Don`t think I`d leave the house . Thats beyond cold .

You are right, it was the longest 8 mile ride I had in a while. Even though there was no shortage of the suck factor, getting out and riding vs sitting on my ass is still better even at these cold temps.

Rick

Hyena said:
Cross posted from my build thread, a quick midnight ride on my fighter now I have some permanent lights hooked up. One is a 12w 4 led headlight on a custom made plate sitting under the direct mount stem that sits the light down central over the head tube, the second light is a T6 magicshine. The mount is loose though as it was sitting on the narrow brace part of my MX style bars so flopped around over bumps. This will be fixed for subsequent night rides. The headlight operates off a 2 position motorbike key switch (replacing the standard switch) The first click turns on the bike, the second click turns on the headlights too. Permanent frame mounted tail lights are still to come but not as much an issue as there's rarely if ever anyone behind me of a night and I dont ride it on the road.

Hey Hyena, top vid. hot/warm nights are just AWESOME for cruising.
soz guys haven't been here for a bit, head down bum up :roll:
MERRY CHRISTMAS all..........
Oh and Dlogic WE ARE STILL HERE Yay Yay :mrgreen:

Fighter has now clocked up over 4000km so I thought it would be a good time pull down the motor and see how it has been coping with a more modest 1700W peak.

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

Good news is that the motor looks perfect internally with windings looking as good as new. Gears also look perfect with no signs of wear at all.

IMG_1724.JPG

Still a big fan of the Bafang with its power and economy still managing to impress. Also worth noting the little 6FET controller hasn't missed a beat over the past 4000km. The only thing I don't particularly like about the geared motor is the noise especially at higher speeds so I thought I would take the opportunity to give oil cooling a go.

First job was to de-grease the motor internally. Fun job that. :roll: Next item was to drill an oil fill hole in the motor housing. This was done through one of the disc brake attachment screw holes.

Basically that was it as far as mods were concerned. Some people put in a pressure relief vent in the casing also but I decided against this figuring that the wire hole through the axle would provide the necessary pressure relief.

IMG_1733.JPG

Next job was to re assemble everything and add the oil to the motor. I opted to use Automatic transmission fluid for lube due to its low viscosity and excellent lubricating properties. Getting the fluid in was just a simple matter of syringing in through the modified disc brake screw hole. I have only added 60ml to the motor to try and keep any leakage to a minimum

IMG_1737.JPG

Only had a small opportunity to test ride but motor noise has definitely been reduced. I would say by 50% at high speeds. Now its a matter of seeing how well the motor is sealed. Hopefully I wont end up with an oily mess on my hands. Will be very interesting to track how much cooler the motor runs also. If all goes to plan, I will be turning the power back up to 2500W for a bit of extra kick.

Thanks to the pioneers in hub motor oil cooling for all their hard work and generous information sharing. Read all about it here. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37972&hilit=snake+oil

Hey Kepler,
Happy new year. Thats impressive R&D you are conducting. As long as the ATF level is below the bottom of the axel when stopped and your hub covers have a tight seal onto the shell flange, shouldn't be any leakage whats so ever. I agree with you about the pressure self equalizing on wire side of the hub. I have had both my hubs apart and back together enough times to know that the axel area where wires exit the shell is not air tight. Then when you add in heat expansion and cooling contraction, pressure will equalize inside of the shell. I can't remember, but I think it was Doc Bass who recommended sealing the hub covers with a thin bead of silicon to keep the cooling liquid from leaking out through the seams. Something to consider if you notice any leakage after a ride. What I am really curious about is how much difference the liquid cooling will make. If I remember correctly, didn't you smoke your last geared hubbie when you ran it hard off road at 2.5kw for an extended period of time? Are you going to simulate those conditions again? Please keep us posted.

Rick

Famous Stealth owners...any one know Nigel Mansell, the racing driver? .he has one of these Stealth bikes. His sone wanted me to buidl an e-bike for him..I decided not too, but put him on the Stealth route..yet to have a go on it though

Rix said:
Hey Kepler,
Happy new year. Thats impressive R&D you are conducting. As long as the ATF level is below the bottom of the axel when stopped and your hub covers have a tight seal onto the shell flange, shouldn't be any leakage whats so ever. I agree with you about the pressure self equalizing on wire side of the hub. I have had both my hubs apart and back together enough times to know that the axel area where wires exit the shell is not air tight. Then when you add in heat expansion and cooling contraction, pressure will equalize inside of the shell. I can't remember, but I think it was Doc Bass who recommended sealing the hub covers with a thin bead of silicon to keep the cooling liquid from leaking out through the seams. Something to consider if you notice any leakage after a ride. What I am really curious about is how much difference the liquid cooling will make. If I remember correctly, didn't you smoke your last geared hubbie when you ran it hard off road at 2.5kw for an extended period of time? Are you going to simulate those conditions again? Please keep us posted.

Rick

Happy new you to you too Rick. I did actually silicon seal the hub cover as a precaution so hopefully that is covered. And yes i did smoke the last motor at 2500W. It will be interesting to see how this motor now handles the extra power.

NeilP said:
Famous Stealth owners...any one know Nigel Mansell, the racing driver? .he has one of these Stealth bikes. His sone wanted me to buidl an e-bike for him..I decided not too, but put him on the Stealth route..yet to have a go on it though

Hi Neil. Yes I did know Nigel Mansell had a Bomber. You may (or may not :) ) be surprised to know he is not the only famous F1 driver with a Stealth :wink: .

Kepler said:
And yes i did smoke the last motor at 2500W. It will be interesting to see how this motor now handles the extra power.

What got cooked? the winding insulation I am guessing?? any pictures. need to show someone what happens to one of these motors when they get over powered..

Kepler said:
NeilP said:

Hi Neil. Yes I did know Nigel Mansell had a Bomber. You may (or may not :) ) be surprised to know he is not the only famous F1 driver with a Stealth :wink: .

Did he buy it from down your part of the world?
His son Greg and hsi mates had a blast on mine at a party a few years back, bent the rear wheel, ..they did not know, i did not notice either till the next morjning goin home and the bike was riding funny..thought it was me and the booze..till I noticed the big ding in the rim and the inner tube bulging out..I slowed down fro the remainder of the ride home !!

Think Greg wanted the old man to have one so he could keep up when he goes out on training rides with him and his bro

Ummm did she smoke a little sir?? :p

Thats all I need, to show the guy that putting too much power and volts is BAD..

Happy new year to everyone.

Kepler keep us posted on the oiled up BPM. I am right with you, I like the motor, but the gear noise is irritating. I have a BPM II, but I haven't run it yet. They have the screw on motor cover that needs a special tool to open the motor. The machining looks more accurate on the casing, so it may be quieter. I made a tool to open it so I could check it out inside.

Cruzxia

This should be a color option for the Bomber/Fighter. Someone tell John.

Attachments

• Fighter1custom.jpg
    Fighter1custom.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,401
Kepler said:
Worth noting these were both Code 10 motors. I have now gone to code 12. Still good for just over 50kph on 18S.
Nice work Kepler, I'm keen to see how the oil cooling holds up. I assume you used high temp / RTV silicon ? I'm never bothered trying to seal a motor as I've always had good results with air cooling although obviously that is for performance reasons rather than silencing. It sounds like just having a little oil in there and not going too crazy is the key to not springing leaks
I just got my commuter bike sorted with a 10 turn MAC motor. I'm not sure if the 10 stands for 10 turn but cellman reckons they're a little different.
But I'm otherwise running the same setup as you, a 4110 6 fet (currently on 30a) and an 18S pack and it gets to 50 easily then slowly tops out around 55km/hr. It actually feels snappier off the line than your bafang fighter did (I started out on 25a) which is surprising considering I'm running 26" wheels as well but that could be placebo effect. Hopefully I get more than 1000km from it as you did with yours! 30 amps should be fairly safe though, the motor has been barely warm so far with the controller being noticably warmer (though not too hot)
It goes without saying that I've enjoyed commuting on the fighter and I'll miss the gearing of the schlumpf but I want to try and keep the miles off it (just clocked up 3500km) so I'm retiring it from general duty and keeping it just for offroad fun. So off with the 21 spoke H4080 :p and on with a H4065

Sounds good Jay. Are you running the controller to 120% to get 55kph? My code 12 will wind out to 55kph on a full battery at 120%.

30A should be fine but is about as hard as l would go. You will find the motor will stay cool most of the time. Its when you start holding 50kph for a fair distance that the motor really start to heat up. Also the little 6FET hates the hard low speed stuff so just be aware.

I hope the oil lube works out OK. I have already checked the motor internally with just 60ml of oil and everything is well and truly covered and well lubed. More oil will improve cooling and dampen sound further but none of this will be worth it if I end up with an oily mess. With a DD hub I think I would definitely stick with air cooling.

The 4065 will be perfect in the Fighter. I think you should run it on 20S or even 24S though and have the best of both worlds. :twisted:

Kepler said:
Are you running the controller to 120% to get 55kph? My code 12 will wind out to 55kph on a full battery at 120%.
Nope, only 100% but don't forget I'm running 26" wheels so that'll give it a tiny bit more top end. All in all it sounds pretty close.
Edit: I should add that was measured by GPS, I couldn't get the magnetic pickup to work on the CA, I'll have to hunt around for a stronger magnet.

And yeah I expect the little 6 fet might struggle a bit. I'm primarily using it so I can jam it in my cut and shut timma frame. If it's no good I'll go back to a 12 fet, but it's a novelty for now having such a cute little controller :p

The 4065 will be perfect in the Fighter. I think you should run it on 20S or even 24S though and have the best of both worlds. :twisted:
Definately, I'm already thinking of ditching the 3 8ah zippys I have in there and seeing if I can cram 7 more 5ah 6S packs in there instead for 24S 15ah. I don't think it'll quite fit though.
I've already made a 6S 18ah booster pack but need to make a neat case for it if I'm going to use it properly. I can't ghetto up my fighter with a big square battery taped to its guts!

Back