E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Cowardlyduck said:
Nice one TV. They still haven't caught up to me though :p
The pack I just build for a Hurricane (would also fit a Bomber) was 42AH. And it's possible to fit 49AH.

I still have about 150 cells left over from my last build...not sure what to do with them yet.

Cheers

147 cells is plenty to make somebody a good little Bomber pack.

Im not so sure that cell count is correct as the P100D has only 8,256 cells. I get your point though. :wink:

CJonaBttlrckt said:

I really only want about fifty cells, as I was hoping to get another year or two out of my relatively recently purchased battery, with a bit of cell replacement.
There seems to be a few parallel packs that aren't keeping up.
I'm not confident the BMS isn't the cause.

Cheers,
Clinton

Disconnect the BMS and add a 80A MCB, monitor packs manually for a few rides. If you want to fix an existing assembled pack it can get tricky. try and identify what you have so at least you can replace with same cells.
18650's are very reliable, in fact CD is so confident he doesn't run a BMS at all AND rarely does he need to balance them.

Personally I have made DIY powerwalls etc and dud cells are typically flat and have internal damage/ whatever elsea that causes them to heat significantly during charging and they die quickly afterwards. AS for new cells it is VERY rare to have any problems. so rare in fact TESLA use ~10,000 in a P90D, whilst they have cell level fuses in real life I dont think anyone has ever seen one popped for any reason.
[/quote]

Hi and thanks Karl,
I have three packs ready to swap out and will probably bypass the bms and try monitoring and balancing manually, for a while at least.
I've manually balanced previously and found after only a couple of cycles, the same packs are down again and if left for a while I find these same packs down, usually by more and also other packs also down.
Of note, I've used the cells I already replaced to build a makita battery and it's working fine...hence I suspect the bms is the problem.
If it's not the problem, it certainly doesn't seem to be helping given the low voltage of some packs, which were down by +0.5v at last check.
Thanks again,
Clinton
[/quote]

Theodore Voltaire said:
Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
I've lost my desire to buy a Sur Ron. The problem with it is it looks too much like a motorcycle to ride on the street without registration, and then you can't ride it on the city bike paths. All things considered my Bomber is better suited for the riding I do. The only thing that's bugging me is my 24ah battery is better than stock, but still too little. With the money I just saved by not buying a Sur Ron, I'm going to buy a bigger battery.

I got a SurRon, its not something I would be able to get away with riding on the road without at least being contacted by the fuzz.

I've changed my attitude about the Sur Ron. After doing a lot of research I think it's the most desirable electric motorcycle on the market. If Sur Ron ever makes the bike easier to register I think they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. My problem is I've gotten used to riding anywhere in the city a bicycle can go. I tried once already going back with my Tomos moped, and although it was a great bike, I couldn't get used to how limiting it was not being able to take it on the trails or sidewalks. That makes my Bomber to this day still at the top of my list, but now for the first time since I bought it in 2013, there's at least one other bike that comes close even if it is a slightly different animal. The competition is starting to catch up with us, but it also demonstrates how far ahead of it's time Mr Stealth really was, and for the time being still is.

Black-Sheep.jpg

I couldn't agree with this post more, I could fill an entire thread with my thoughts on this. The ease of making big power and the price point has definitely caught my eye, but having the ability to pedal allows you to get away with so much more ad libbing and fun on any commute. If/ when I get one it'll be mostly relegated to off road duties, as the Bomber truly flies under the radar on the street.

st35326 said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
I've changed my attitude about the Sur Ron. After doing a lot of research I think it's the most desirable electric motorcycle on the market. If Sur Ron ever makes the bike easier to register I think they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. My problem is I've gotten used to riding anywhere in the city a bicycle can go. I tried once already going back with my Tomos moped, and although it was a great bike, I couldn't get used to how limiting it was not being able to take it on the trails or sidewalks. That makes my Bomber to this day still at the top of my list, but now for the first time since I bought it in 2013, there's at least one other bike that comes close even if it is a slightly different animal. The competition is starting to catch up with us, but it also demonstrates how far ahead of it's time Mr Stealth really was, and for the time being still is.

Black-Sheep.jpg

I couldn't agree with this post more, I could fill an entire thread with my thoughts on this. The ease of making big power and the price point has definitely caught my eye, but having the ability to pedal allows you to get away with so much more ad libbing and fun on any commute. If/ when I get one it'll be mostly relegated to off road duties, as the Bomber truly flies under the radar on the street.

Since making this post I've come across new information that leads me to believe it wouldn't be as hard to register a SuR Ron in Texas as I thought. As a matter of fact the same would apply to registering my Stealth too if I ever needed to. A local Sur Ron owner informed me has was in fact able to register his bike in Texas. He said the procedure is not well known even by the TDOT because it's so rarely ever done. He said all you have to do is get your bike state inspected, which means bringing up to code with proper lights and such. Then all you need to do is show proof of inspection, and insurance to the DMV and they will issue a VIN which allows you to register your bike.

Even so, I've still cooled on the idea of getting a Sur Ron, especially now that I just bought a big battery for my bike. I don't particularly need to go any faster than my Stealth already goes, and now it will have more range than a Sur Ron. Plus in 3 more years I'll be 70 years old, so that means someday I might get old. :roll:

Theodore Voltaire said:
st35326 said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Black-Sheep.jpg

Since making this post I've come across new information that leads me to believe it wouldn't be as hard to register a SuR Ron in Texas as I thought. As a matter of fact the same would apply to registering my Stealth too if I ever needed to. A local Sur Ron owner informed me has was in fact able to register his bike in Texas. He said the procedure is not well known even by the TDOT because it's so rarely ever done. He said all you have to do is get your bike state inspected, which means bringing up to code with proper lights and such. Then all you need to do is show proof of inspection, and insurance to the DMV and they will issue a VIN which allows you to register your bike.

Even so, I've still cooled on the idea of getting a Sur Ron, especially now that I just bought a big battery for my bike. I don't particularly need to go any faster than my Stealth already goes, and now it will have more range than a Sur Ron. Plus in 3 more years I'll be 70 years old, so that means someday I might get old. :roll:

Damn TV, I am coming up on the big 5 OH. I am nothing but a youngster compared to you. You may see a new Stealth model come out that will change your mind about the electronot. My Bomber is up on the stand being disassembled. Not sure what I am going to do with the frame. The Vboxx is still working great. Ironcially, I think I may have an issue. Some of the gears when I shift to them, can tell a difference. Like going from 4th to 5th. Feels the same. I may have something going on like BigBore does. Shit, the Vboxx has 16000 miles on it. Its probably due for a tune up.

I switched the connector back to a stock 50 amp Anderson. What's up the stinky little stock controller wires? Reset the ca to 35ah, and zero cycles. It's on the charger now. Test ride coming soon.

[img
20200405-132701.jpg
][/img]

Theodore Voltaire said:
I switched the connector back to a stock 50 amp Anderson. What's up the stinky little stock controller wires? Reset the ca to 35ah, and zero cycles. It's on the charger now. Test ride coming soon.

[img
20200405-132701.jpg
][/img]

Quite the battery TV, let us know what your volt sag is when you run it.

Are you fellas using a smart charger that you can adjust percent of charge? aka Luna or Satiator?

Fanks!

I just got back from my first test ride. The air is calm, about 60 degrees. When I took it off the charger, the battery was setting at about 83.5v. The ca is set for 65 amp.

That little ca is hard to see so this is kind of approximant, but this is what I think
Riding pretty aggressively but not all out.

5120w That was a roll on from about 10 mph
68.93 max amp
That seems very similar to my 24ah battery from Electro World when it was new

I think the lowest sag I saw hot off the charger was about 75.5v
I think the Electro World battery had a little more than that, maybe 73 or 74.
Love a lot of parallels

I rode 26.2 miles
used 21.53 ah, who cares still had over 13 luxurious ahs woohoo
got up to 42.9 mph
Avg speed 23.7 through town stopping at all the lights before running them.

This new battery is 20s10p 10 amp Sanyo GA3500 cells
Electro World was 20s7p 15 amp Samsung 30Q cells

I can't help from comparing the Electro World battery to this new one. I don't really notice much difference in performance hot off the charger, but the biggest difference today was near the end of the ride when I was at 21.5 ah, the Electro World 24ah would have been getting pretty sluggish at full throttle, whereas this 35 ah was just feeling a little off, and I still had 13ah. That's huge. Now for the first time since owning this bike I feel like it's what I naively was expecting when I first bought it. Hey this was my first eBike, what was I suppose to know.

[img
20200405-190631.jpg
][/img]

[img
20200405-190809.jpg
][/img]

Ive seen some clone frames going for £200, but I can’t get answers off the seller I need.

I want to fit 26” x 4” 4.5” if i can but The hubs I have seen are 170mm dropout and the frame is listed as 177mm but the seller will nit say if the frame can take 4” let alone 4.5

I then found one on aliexpress with a 195mm dropout and im getting confused with all these different dropouts are 177 and 170 compatible and is the 190mm the fat tyre dropout, also what is best 170 or 190 and then whats the difference between the variations

please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david.albertelli said:
Ive seen some clone frames going for £200, but I can’t get answers off the seller I need.

I want to fit 26” x 4” 4.5” if i can but The hubs I have seen are 170mm dropout and the frame is listed as 177mm but the seller will nit say if the frame can take 4” let alone 4.5

I then found one on aliexpress with a 195mm dropout and im getting confused with all these different dropouts are 177 and 170 compatible and is the 190mm the fat tyre dropout, also what is best 170 or 190 and then whats the difference between the variations

please help

You need a drop out of 170mm minimum or wider to fit a 100-125mm wide tire as the dropouts narrow towards the frame. And if you are running a hubmotor, need to find one with an extra long axle and spacers to fit these wide dropouts.

so a 177 frame will just about be able to squeeze in the 4-4.5” width tyre yeah. I have found hubs with big enough dropouts and the right rims but the drop outs are out by a few mm like the hun is 170 and the frame is 177 will they work either way or do the numbers have to match

david.albertelli said:
so a 177 frame will just about be able to squeeze in the 4-4.5” width tyre yeah. I have found hubs with big enough dropouts and the right rims but the drop outs are out by a few mm like the hun is 170 and the frame is 177 will they work either way or do the numbers have to match

You will need an axle spacers like this one to get a perfect fit. https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motor-hardware/washers-and-spacers/spacewash3.html

Do any frames maximize the size of the battery compartment?

Seems to me the usual "styling" leaves a lot of extra space between the top of the front tire and the underside of the bottom slanted part, could almost attach another full shark pack under there?

john61ct said:
Do any frames maximize the size of the battery compartment?

Seems to me the usual "styling" leaves a lot of extra space between the top of the front tire and the underside of the bottom slanted part, could almost attach another full shark pack under there?

Seems like the Chinese bomber frame on AliExpress is the frame you're looking for. It has bigger battery box than our bikes.

Seems like the Chinese bomber frame on AliExpress is the frame you're looking for. It has bigger battery box than our bikes.[/quote]

Thanks, anyone have a link?

any downsides compared to other choices?

Anyone know of a place in Oz to get an alternative charger for a bomber. Mine shit itself.

john61ct said:
If that is a Yes, some details would be appreciated.
I'll let you do your own research, but you get what you pay for.
Even Stealths have had their fair share of failures (myself included), but I would still trust them over some cheap frame of AliExpress any day.
At least with Stealth you get warranty and they are constantly improving the design as a result of each failure.

Cheers

yes not looking for a finished bike, can you just buy their frame?

What sort of source for research other than this thread, and general googling?

john61ct said:
yes not looking for a finished bike, can you just buy their frame?

What sort of source for research other than this thread, and general googling?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000312383415.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.79143527fK38pD&algo_pvid=22db1ad9-9d2e-4ec8-a905-9bda20e95969&algo_expid=22db1ad9-9d2e-4ec8-a905-9bda20e95969-1&btsid=0ab6d69f15862773544156608e5c56&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Back