EEStor ultracapacitor

CEDAR PARK, Texas, April 22 TX-EEStor-Certificatn

CEDAR PARK, Texas, April 22 /PRNewswire/ -- EEStor, Inc. announces relative permittivity certification of their Composition Modified Barium-Titanate powders. The third party certification tests were performed by Texas Research International's Dr. Edward G. Golla, PhD., Laboratory Director. He has certificated that EEStor's patented and patent pending Composition Modified Barium-Titanate Powders have met and/or exceeded a relative permittivity of 22,500.

EEStor feels this is a huge milestone which opens the advancement of key products and services in the electrical energy storage markets of today. The automotive and renewable energy sectors are a few of the key markets that would benefit greatly with the technology.

Company background

EEStor, Inc. develops solid-state electrical energy storage units (EESU's) in the form of batteries and capacitors. This technology has a wide variety of application use which includes with the added benefit of being longer lasting, lighter, more powerful, and more environmentally friendly than current technology in use.

SOURCE EEStor, Inc.

The EEstor hype has gone so amazingly far out of proportion to what they have shown the public, that I won't believe it until I see a working EESU in action myself.

Two thoughts...

#1>
If I'm reading that correctly... the source that says Esstor is confirmed 3rd party ... is ... wait for it .... Esstor says that Esstor has 3rd party confirmation.... :roll:

Doesn't count until the 3rd party makes the claim.

#2>
Isn't this the same "release" Esstor gave out back in Aug 2008?
Recycling news releases? :roll:

You want to know how hard it is to test electron permittivity?

http://www.advancedmaterials.us/5622ON-01.htm

Buy some 99.95% dust... and send it out... it will come back with a permittivity over 22,000 easily.

You have to be a complete moron to send Eestor a dime at this point. Good ol' Lockheed :roll:

I don't care how many parties they have,
Unless I get invited to the party and see product on the table, it is just magic dust (Sorry about that Cheech!) Estimated ship date of product? Specs on product? Thankfully we have LiFePO4 and upcoming LiTi to keep us entertained.

This third party verification was more than the test of dust guys.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Zenn-Motor-Company-TSX-VENTURE-ZNN-993395.html
The verification process followed by ZMC was compliant with its Technology Agreement with EEStor. The Company contracted with Professional Testing (EMI), Inc. (PTI) located in Round Rock, Texas to verify calibration and suitability of the test equipment to accurately measure capacitance over a defined temperature range in order to determine permittivity. This verification procedure was performed by PTI before and after Dr. Golla performed the retesting on ZMC's behalf. PTI is a test laboratory with over 20 years operating experience and has ISO 17025 accreditation from the National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program. The permittivity re-testing was conducted on hot-pressed dielectric layers provided by EEStor and certified by them to have been made of materials produced on their production line. Dr. Edward D. Golla, a PhD in Analytical Chemistry, was independently contracted by ZMC and re-performed the testing of the dielectric layers. Dr. Golla is the Laboratory Director of Texas Research International, Austin, Texas. Dr. Golla's relevant experience includes the application of instrumental techniques to analytical problems and he has also taught Chemistry and Instrumental Analysis at schools such as St. Edwards University and Southwestern University of Georgetown, Texas. ZMC received full cooperation from the management of EEStor in completing the verification process.

Correct me if I am wrong, are they testing compressed dielectric layers or just testing specks of dust?

Reports of stock shares for Zen and Eestor values are on the rise. I get the uncertainty thing of new tech when investments are concerned. But if we believed the nay Sayers we would still be living in trees with the belief that the earth was flat and we are the centre of the universe and everything in the universe is held in place by crystal spheres.

Who would ever think you could power a light bulb through thin air without killing everyone in the room from shock, from face value it just seems implausible, I’ve never seen it but I believe and understand how it works too.

If you can store enough energy in a wet fluid to drive X amount of distance, storing the same amount of energy in a capacitor pack is not an unreasonable concept is it now.

317537 said:
Reports of stock shares for Zen and Eestor values are on the rise. I get the uncertainty thing of new tech when investments are concerned. But if we believed the nay Sayers we would still be living in trees with the belief that the earth was flat and we are the centre of the universe and everything in the universe is held in place by crystal spheres.

Who would ever think you could power a light bulb through thin air without killing everyone in the room from shock, from face value it just seems implausible, I’ve never seen it but I believe and understand how it works too.

If you can store enough energy in a wet fluid to drive X amount of distance, storing the same amount of energy in a capacitor pack is not an unreasonable concept is it now.

Well, ehhhhhhhh, there's two different processes at play. I believe energy stored in gasoline is due to the chemical bonding energy between the molecules, whereas, electrons travelling along a conductive surface determine the potential energy. Since I believe that both those processes rely on electrons (chemical bonding energy has to do with electron spacing and the electrostatic force), it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that the energy density of a liquid in a combustion process couldn't be equivalent to the energy density of excess electrons on some theoretical material. But, there's more to it than that in practice, especially with capacitors.

Yes.

In theory

It all takes space where ever it comes from. Electricity should be the lightest and smallest and most available form of energy we use today. It's everywhere, all over the universe for that matter. For petroleum all you need is a container to hold it and it contains it's space efficiently. This same concept applies to electricity in reality.

An empty vessel filled with pure electricity would no doubt be an eye opener. Fossil chemicals hold the heat energy in atomic bonds most may believe this is electricity creating the heat.. Returning aluminum to original form bauxite creates heat or electricity, and plenty of it, this is different to charging cells or capacitors. Either burn it or corrode or even explode it. I believe one could get electricity directly from combustion without the process of heating water to steam to generate kinetics. How small can one go? We can take a picture of a grain of dust enlarge it and take a small piece of this picture and enlarge again and again , how long can this happen for?

How thin can a line be and how crooked can that line be in a given space? How much surface area can we make on a plate? I can not answer these questions as from what I understand there is an eternity of universes inside a beer bubble. We explore space and have no idea where it finishes yet, do we know how small things get yet either? Electricity I believe to be made of smaller stuff than electrons, as you can not use an electron microscope to see an electron we can detect them with magnetism! So magnetism must be smaller stuff than electrons. So by theory electricity should have better potential than energy available from atomic bonds. I

I believe time has to proven this fact from an efficiency stand point. All though we have problems making electricity we seem to have no problems making it work efficiently for our needs. Its a perfect solution in reality. We are given a taste of a viable energy source and we are learning to conserve it admirably. I could only imagine how much RF and EMF pollution would be occurring if electricity was an easy get.

Zenn CEO reveals details of EEStor's progress
May 22, 2009 - Exclusive By Emma Ritch, Cleantech Group

What’s the time line for completing the last step of the technology agreement, in which EEStor delivers the product?

EEStor announced they planned to begin commercial production by the end of 2009. We have no reason to believe otherwise, and we know they remain heads-down working on that objective. There’s a demand for this type of solution globally—not just within the automotive applications, but the grid applications, renewable energy, military applications. It really covers any sector where there is need for energy storage.

http://cleantech.com/news/4494/zenn-ceo-speaks-about-eestor-progre

Seems obvious to assume the thirdparty verification was the investors call. Wouldnt the investors be pissed if their man turned out to be a gimme?

That's silly. If I was serious about investing in any technology, would I be satisfied with the technology vendor hiring a "third party" to verify my claims? Hell no, I'd want a working prototype in my hands to test it myself. It wouldn't exactly be difficult. Does it store the claimed amount of energy, yes or no? How fast can it be safely charged and discharged? If it lives up to the claims, it's worth a hell of a lot more than eight million.

Arguably Zenn has already gotten millions of dollars worth of free advertising out of this deal, haven't they? EEstor says the EESU will be in production by the end of this year. They'll be able to get away with additional delays well into 2010. When everyone finally realizes EEstor's full of crap, Zenn will look like an overly optimistic victim. It's all win for them no matter what. I'm not necessarily saying they're collaborating in a fraud, all I'm saying is they're not necessarily motivated to thoroughly verify EEstor's claims, and if the technology isn't there, they also benefit from any delays.

Does anyone hear about that new EEstor capacitor battery?

EEStor Gets a Trademark Patent on EESU and Provides Specs for a 24V EESU
http://theeestory.com/files/EEStorTrademarkInfo.pdf

Here is what they claim:
DC output voltage: 24V +/- 0.5V
Output current: 20A continuous
Output current transient: 80A for 2s
Output current protection: fast-opening fuse
Volume: 9..44 x 10^5 mm^3 (101.6 mm cubed)
Weight: 2.2kg
Energy storage: 26.7 A-hrs
100% deep-cycle usage: 10^6
Charging time 0-100%: 90s
Operating temp range: -40*C to 49*C
(includes fast charging)
Maximum storage temp: 150*C
Estimated price: $62.50 @ 50k/yr, $52.25 @ 500k/yr

Nice but like IamIan said on the GM-volt blog, :
the charge time of 90sec is like magic instead of possible... .. and i agree with him on that..:?

To get the 26.7 Ah even at the impossible 100% efficiency rate... in 90 seconds it would require 1,068 Amp charging rate.... that is a tall order by any standard... to safely handle over 1,000 amps without melting even material with as low a electrical resistance as copper would weigh more than 2.2 kg... what kind of crazy low charging internal resistance are they thinking they will have?

That's 640Wh for 62.50$ !! :shock: for 100000cycles!

I hope it is not too good to be true :|

Doc

What the GM knuckle-head isn't understanding about this technology and its charge time is the voltage. These caps aren't about capacity, they are about having 5,000-10,000 volts with the capacitance of a normal supercap. That's why the voltage is a stable 20v, because it runs off a tiny dc-dc converter. To charge that cap, you would only need 5amps for 90 seconds.

The gm guy must understand this, and he is just trying to smack-talk.

Now, granted, just getting a patent doesn't mean that you've made anything that works. Its another great way to make hype. However, if they do pull this off, it will put every battery manufacture belly-up over night.

Very cool stuff.

liveforphysics said:
What the GM knuckle-head isn't understanding about this technology and its charge time is the voltage. These caps aren't about capacity, they are about having 5,000-10,000 volts with the capacitance of a normal supercap. That's why the voltage is a stable 20v, because it runs off a tiny dc-dc converter. To charge that cap, you would only need 5amps for 90 seconds.

The gm guy must understand this, and he is just trying to smack-talk.

Now, granted, just getting a patent doesn't mean that you've made anything that works. Its another great way to make hype. However, if they do pull this off, it will put every battery manufacture belly-up over night.

Very cool stuff.

Oh.. I did not thought about that .. only 5Amp at 5-10kV.. .. that make sense.. but only if the DC-DC is used on discharge mode... cause in charge mode that would take a VERY BIG DC-DC !! with 1000+ amp input and big copper bus bar.. lol

but.. I just wonder what are these mosfet that can take 5-10kV at 5A at the input of that DC-DC for the switching ? :shock:

that's still 25kW power input !!

so you think that they could cahrge these battery direct on the caps at these very HV??.. I agree that this is the only way to get 90sec charge without having high Amps...

I would be really curious to see what look like this DC-DC... maybe a vaccum tube DC-DC... with that famous 6.3V filament for the thermoionic effect... loll and polarisez grid.. .. I would call it Klistron or thyratron!! lol;;; just like the big kW radio antena amplifier use or something isane like that: http://www.contelec.com/BNL.html

Doc

I think i found :mrgreen:

or... something closer to reality like that:

PressPak_on_circuit_board.jpg

Here is an example of a switching device that might be used as the core of a voltage step-down or "buck" converter:

4500igbt_Page_1_Image_0002.jpg

It is an IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) and is made up of an internally paralleled arrangement of square slivers of silicon or "dies" (the little green squares in the inset, bottom right), each one capable of switching 40-60 amps and 4,500 volts.

Here is a picture of an actual unit. The form factor is called a PressPak or "puck" (for obvious reasons). The picture gives a scale with the pen, and is shown with another popular form factor in the high power industry. These are actually pictures of high power diodes, but the IGBTs look the same (use the same packages).

PressPak.jpg

Here is a picture of the same type of main swithing device (in this case a symmetrical gate-controlled thyristor, but the idea is the same) used in a "motherboaed" format. Actually, this kind of form would simply be called a circuit card, or alternately, just an "LRU" (Line Replaceable Unit).

Now we have hockey puck designed to mediate and control another hockey puck. I see potential for a new graphic page header. God I hope the City Zenn doesn't have solid puck like wheels with a soft cushy outer shell.

IGBT:
http://library.abb.com/global/scot/...2dd2ac4dc1256c560037afc4/$File/Os01sk_web.pdf

Doc

we use thousands of those puck shaped SCR's in our static switching PDU's. Amazingly static electricity sensative parts for how electricly robust they are.

To make the 20amp step-down for that HV cap bank, it would just require a pair of little TO220 case IGBTs and an inductor, and of course a couple low voltage caps and a voltage regulator. The package could be tiny and very efficient. And yes, to rapid charge, obviously you would charge to the HV caps directly. You could use inductive paddle chargers so the end user never is even exposed to HV. Only need to transmit 5amps, so even the inductive paddles could be small.

At my work, we use the 26,500v utility feed to power a 16MW facility. Only draws about 640amps to continously feed 16,000,000w. High voltage is a beautiful thing for rapidly transfering energy efficiently. Low current charging is a definate advantage of these caps.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...7,595,109.PN.&OS=PN/7,595,109&RS=PN/7,595,109

Electrical-energy-storage unit (EESU) utilizing ceramic and integrated-circuit technologies for replacement of electrochemical batteries

Abstract
An electrical-energy-storage unit (EESU) has as a basis material a high-permittivity composition-modified barium titanate ceramic powder. This powder is double coated with the first coating being aluminum oxide and the second coating calcium magnesium aluminosilicate glass. The components of the EESU are manufactured with the use of classical ceramic fabrication techniques which include screen printing alternating multilayers of nickel electrodes and high-permittivitiy composition-modified barium titanate powder, sintering to a closed-pore porous body, followed by hot-isostatic pressing to a void-free body.

Seems they are still working hard on this energy storage unit. Ive been fanboi of this research for a good while now, not so much I'm on blogs and stuff, but I really hope this one takes off a soars. One of these will = no more battery replacements hey. Worth its weight in gold.

I want to see this technology materialize from vaporware into my hands so badly. Once available, I would like to be the first to create an EEstor powered electric bicycle :)

Preach it!
It would be great to have a 15 pound 2 KW/h capacitor with voltage/amp adjustments on the fly. 72V and 20 amps? 48V and 35 amps? 36V and 22 amps? Get a little crazy or curious...100V and 200 amps? The forum would change drastically from battery tech to what can handle all that power? Doctorbass with video of a C-lyte 5306 at 144V and 200 amps cooking on a drag strip... with a 10 pound capacitor in a lunchbox.
Since EEStor has applied for a UL listing, once that is granted then things will heat up with the tech. It is supposed to be shown by the end of this year and I am hopeful that is does. If it is real, I would imagine the world-wide demand for those caps would push us out of the market for quite a while. :(

Attachments

• IMG_5299.JPG
    IMG_5299.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi,

EVnewbie said:
Since EEStor has applied for a UL listing, once that is granted then things will heat up with the tech.
Things will heat up when they produce a working prototype and demonstrate they can affordably mass product them. (They claim the only potential issues are mass production and that they are in the process of building a production line.)

liveforphysics said:
I want to see this technology materialize from vaporware into my hands so badly. Once available, I would like to be the first to create an EEstor powered electric bicycle :)
Maybe LEV will sell you the first unit?:
http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=19309
30 Sep 2008 HEADLINE

SYNOPSIS: Worldwide technology agreement will provide LEVCO with exclusive rights to develop electric vehicles and propulsion systems using EEStor’s Electric Energy Storage Units (EESUs) for the two- and three-wheeled vehicles markets....

EStor EESUs are expected to provide over 450 watt hours per kilogram and over 700 watt hours per liter, charge in minutes, and, for all practical vehicular purposes, last indefinitely. By comparison, lithium iron phosphate batteries provide about 100 watt hours per kilogram and 170 watt hours per liter. Unlike electrochemical batteries, EESUs should not break down from use or time during the life of a vehicle. They are expected to deliver high current without loss of efficiency or excess heat, and they should operate at optimum efficiency over a wide range of ambient temperatures. They will be configurable for any output voltage that optimizes vehicle performance, and will maintain that output voltage at a constant level over the span of each discharge cycle. Production is expected to start mid 2009.
A pack the size of a one liter water bottle would weigh about 1.6kg and have a 700wh capacity.

BUT mid 2009 has come and gone :(. I'm still going to hold on to my Zenn shares though.

LEVCO expects to offer a variety of electric propulsion systems for use in electric bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, and three-wheeled vehicles in partnership with existing manufacturers and under its own brands. John Stephens, Executive Vice President, said, “We expect to be able to provide performance characteristics exceeding those of existing light electric and gasoline powered vehicles. For example, we are planning an electric bicycle that will have a one kilowatt-hour battery pack weighing less than five pounds which should provide approximately 100 miles or more of range,...
http://www.lightevs.com/
Light Electric Vehicles Company (LightEVsâ„¢) intends to provide electric two and three wheel vehicles, as well as electric propulsion system products, all using advanced power packs from EEStor, Inc. under our exclusive worldwide technology agreement with them. Our objective is to make better quality light electric vehicles available to the world market at more affordable prices. We expect these vehicles to compete directly with petroleum powered two and three wheel vehicles, and to also eventually replace similar electrically powered products which currently use electrochemical batteries. More information will be posted to this web site as progress is made toward introduction of the EEStorâ„¢ technology.
Unchanged since Sep 2008 :(

Using the full 3.5 KV range of the capacitor would be an engineering nightmare. Think of the clearance and minimum wire radius required. For any kind of compactness you'd need bidirectional DC converters within each cell. What would these be made of - miniature thyratrons?

Thank for the interest.

The dielectric rating is above 3.5kv however I suspect this is not going to be a set figure. Energy storage units would no doubt be variable from size to quality when the production companies finaly get to play with the parts.

On an ebike do you think 3.5kv is needed and would there be some concept of lowering the energy field and put a larger farad device in its place.

I know that these ESU is an voltage energy based system but I just cant help but thinking double the farads at 1.75kv might be a little easier to control for light vehicles with a little bit more weight to the pack.

Not utilising the full potential of the caps energy capabilities to for smaller power devices make these strange day indeed, when you got to make things bigger to power smaller vehicles.

Back