• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

yep! :twisted:

forgot waterproof cover today, so no return commute in the blizzard. highlight was passing (rear wheel drive) cab who was spinning trying to get up mass ave and blocking both lanes. i cleared 'em with the sidewalk + curb maneuver. :p

reposting the vid:
[youtube]e3UsPTa3xAs[/youtube]
and a shot from after:
20140121_173209.jpg

GCinDC said:
[youtube]e3UsPTa3xAs[/youtube]
I was so excited to show this video to my daughter - I thought she would love to be pulled around like this in the snow! But, I guess it's a boy thing, rats. I'm going snow e-biking anyway!

Ha! Nice day for towsledding!

My ghetto ziptied big apples don't give as much grip as your MC knobbies. :lol:

Made it in this morning on an unplowed trail. Managed no more than 20mph. Ruts were not bad with the still soft snow. I did use 3.8ah instead of the usual 2.5ah. A bit cold :shock:

was psyched to tear it up this morning, but frozen pack/voltage sag caused some electrical problems.. weird low batt error on the display and loss of power @ wot. not sure if anything to do w/ bms boards. finally road easy to park it at metro but forgot my lock! :eek:

and on the way the chain got crunchy... but i went slow and made it in to work:
20140122_153841.jpg

made it home and noticed some rear derailleur parts missing, lol:
20140122_165253.jpg

looks like $50 to replace w/ a used one...

winter is rough. let's not even talk about the chain.

and holy salt bath! keeps on snowing - no problem, keep pouring on the salt! panacea!

Just when you need power the most :( I lost power on the way home. Tried just pedaling in the snow :shock: Tracked it down to a separated bullet on a LiPo brick :) Back on the power :mrgreen:

thx, dan. i was thinking it woulda been nice to get an identical one in case i needed the old one for parts, but decided to buy a new one - and have it delivered today, instead of waiting weeks for some ebay shippers... :wink:

maybe not as nice, but should do the job - which is mainly tensioning, but occasional shifting... :lol:
416Rsz79d5L._SY450_.jpg

temps down in the teens again. brought the bike inside last night (after laying a tarp down to catch the snow melt from it), and bike/electronics performed flawlessly this morning. :D at one point i got behind a copy playing pace car and decided to try pedaling, but totally loose dangling chain got caught up in the nobbies of the tire and ground me to a halt. :x so no pedaling today... :lol:

my next job will be replacing the kitchen sink disposal.
a40e1818-6eb4-4921-ab6d-c0dfe6d7075d_1000.jpg

it was off an on the last couple days, but now when switched on, it doesn't spin and makes a loud grr sound. i wonder if the bearings are shot or something. i'm thinking it might be worth a look to fix, and even if i replace it, maybe i can get it working enough to convert to a bench grinder! :idea: i suppose it's an AC motor, so not much use on an electric vehicle? :mrgreen:

try turning the disposal backwards to clear trash that may be in it. there is often a tool included for doing that. or use something from the top to turn it backwards.

The trail was plowed when I went home yesterday. Sure makes it faster!

dbaker said:
try turning the disposal backwards to clear trash that may be in it. there is often a tool included for doing that. or use something from the top to turn it backwards.
yeah, been doing that the last couple days - using the back of a long handled dish scrubber - and it worked for a bunch of times, but no more. won't start. something beside food is blocking it now, and it kinda sounded like the bearing race gave way and a heap of bearings are piled up somewhere!

I rode in on the bike path yesterday - no salt to worry about! You should move out here to the suburbs:)

How long does it take to get to work, Cresh? With colder temperatures I guess there are fewer joggers and bikers so you only have to watch for deer? At 6:30am I have been the only one on the CC trail this week :mrgreen:

You had another snow tire for the rear? Where were you on the canal? Did Charlie get his rock through the ice?

Today i tested at 133A (probably phase) those tires on ice and snow on ice :D
file.php

after putting in them only 2 air units i could do almost everything on roads, including full throttle.
and.. it want dig snow becouse of grip even if front brake is locked, it makes bike bump :))

Attachments

• ice spiker.jpg
    ice spiker.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 2,294
dbaker said:
You had another snow tire for the rear?
yep. had two, but trashed one. put yours on the front, and it was FLAT this morning! pumped it up and seemed like a leak near the valve - a tube issue, but an annoyance. installed the wheel with the hookworm this morning in order to commute. but thanks for the tire install lesson! (make sure tire bead is in center cavity everywhere but where sliding over the rim... amazed i've changed as many tires as i have w/o knowing that!)

Where were you on the canal? Did Charlie get his rock through the ice?
no, charlie didn't get the rock thru the ice, lol. we got on the canal near Fletchers boat house - wife parked the van there after some sledding at Battery Kimble park:
[youtube]5gJvZiUuIW4[/youtube]

and re the adaptto, if you don't know the hall/phase combo of the motor, no worries, just run autodetect (pardon the background noise - family in town, lol):
[youtube]hXZp048yTgE[/youtube]

mafo said:
i tested at 133A (probably phase) those tires on ice and snow on ice :D
nice! but those aren't the marathon winter tires... those are quite a bit meatier! :twisted:

Back