• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

GCinDC said:
but dbaker sold me a spare today so i could take the kids out for some...
[youtube]yIrutg3TT5Y[/youtube]

Truly a work of art! Loved how the camera caught the airplane!

Cresh said:
Truly a work of art! Loved how the camera caught the airplane!
thanks, man! took over 20 takes to get that shot right! haha, just kidding... :mrgreen:

phone died when i tried to photo the bike w/ studs on front and back, but here's the skinny little studded tire on the back, lol:
20140127_121640.jpg

ran out of zip ties, hence the rope around the phase wires.

must have broken the temp sensor when i installed it - no good place to stick in under windings so jammed it under winding to left of jb weld - and it's not reading the temp at all, and i gotta be careful since this motor's not vented... (although i think the adaptto switches to sensorless if halls fail - right andrey?)
20140125_220254.jpg

Allex said:
Man, don't you have a garage or something in your house? Have the bike with all the salt and dirt in the living room, poor wife
garage outside, but too cold to charge batts properly... i put a tarp, didn't i? :p

after moving controller, i now have space to wrap the pack with the battery warmer, and it works pretty well, but don't want to leave it overnight yet...

hey Greg, had any funny buisiness with the 'number of trips' meter? i noticed mine went up in lots of 10 or something, each time i checked....could be cause i was turning the power off between rides?

btw. love the way the mini-e just looks so small in the photo, like a cake of soap or something.......bet your tempted to give it a puff with a black spraycan!

Did a new tube fix the front flat? You notice that when we only use the plastic bike tire tools for mounting it is unlikely to pinch a tube :mrgreen:

dbaker said:
Did a new tube fix the front flat? You notice that when we only use the plastic bike tire tools for mounting it is unlikely to pinch a tube :mrgreen:
no, didn't fix it yet. i recall the tube had already been patched, by some cheapo chinese patch, so maybe that gave up the ghost. or it's the valve...

to be honest, i've gotten so used to the MC wheel, that these little wheels are a bit dissatisfying. i guess they have worn down some tho, as they are a couple years old. and i guess my preference for doing donuts on the left side is obvious here, since a whole row is missing quite a few studs:
14+-+2

next year, i'll be tempted to invest in these for the MC wheel (from here - thanks to troy for the link):
4714_1d_1.jpg

and thanks to troy again, i found an MC (scooter actually) shop in DC (the other side but at least not the hinterland burbs) where i got a new MC tube - cause i couldn't wait to have it shipped - remember that nail popped one, which i replaced on my hs3540 mc wheel..

anyway, it was about time to slap a tire on the h40??:
14+-+5

mmmm, delicious! :evil:

i'm not so sure how fast that motor will be tho... :roll: on the stand i got the identical top speed @ WOT as my studded tire hs3540: 62MPH (which actually is faster if you add the increased circumference)

so top speed at wot, keeping same wheel circumference setting for each (~25" tire)
- hs3540 (my MC wheel): 85mph
- hs3540 (26" w/ studs): 62mph
√h40?? (just motor): 62mph

so my mc hs3540 must be more like an h3580... score one for nicobie.. maybe...

meanwhile, i do hope folks with normal hs3540s and miniEs are disappointed they're going a lot slower... :mrgreen:

dbaker said:
You notice that when we only use the plastic bike tire tools
ps. was laughing when i read this cause i just happened to have been installing the MC tire w/ plastic tools when you wrote it. here's the vid:
[youtube]T_k-PCx6858[/youtube]

and re studs, i started thinking that one reason to fix the front right away was to ride on the reflecting pool in front of the lincoln... :twisted:

but it was drained and fenced off... :(

seriously considered the potomac (or lower canal) but thought better of it, being solo and all... snapped this at canal mile marker zero:
20140130_155651.jpg

When I went home there were 2 teenagers on the Potomac ice about 6 feet from shore :shock: They were poking at the ice with sticks :?:

ridethelightning said:
hey Greg, had any funny buisiness with the 'number of trips' meter? i noticed mine went up in lots of 10 or something, each time i checked....could be cause i was turning the power off between rides?
oops, forgot to reply. nah, mate. i've not had a problem with trips. only had good trips so far.. :p just the Ah setting in cold has been my only issue.

mini-e just looks so small in the photo, like a cake of soap or something.......bet your tempted to give it a puff with a black spraycan!
sorely tempted. :!:

just figured out why the temp sesnor wasn't working... :idea:
20140131_172634.jpg

but nevermind the studded fellow. temps are warming, and we may not need it again. weekend here, and i couldn't wait to slide on the h40...

can you imagine how disappointed i was when the tire rubbed on the same old side?? :x
20140131_174841.jpg

plenty of room on the disc side...:
20140131_174906.jpg

then i remembered! just before i was about to true up the wheel, i noticed the disc mount was rubbing my brace and added a washer on that side. DOH!!!!!!!

i added a second washer to the rubbing side and spun free.. :oops:

might be ok, but stretches the dropouts more than i like...

can't ride it anyway, unless i do so w/o a freewheel. :shock: got a bit of a surprise when i installed a 5 spd freewheel. looks like i'll need a bmx freewheel?

what do you h40 folks use? are there 3sp freewheels that'll fit?

Oh, and do you still need the freewheel spacer ring? i've needed 'em for all my xlytes, but not sure if they've fixed that yet. someone lemme know!

GCinDC said:
what do you h40 folks use? are there 3sp freewheels that'll fit?

Obiwan007 found a 3 speed freewheel that fits on his cromotor that sits proud of the freewheel threads. He did not post a link but here is his build thread.

GCinDC said:
can't ride it anyway, unless i do so w/o a freewheel. got a bit of a surprise when i installed a 5 spd freewheel. looks like i'll need a bmx freewheel?
wrong again. i thought i was installing a 5spd freewheel but it was a 7 speed, which in case you're curious, i just measured at a hair over 36 mm wide:
20140201_054931.jpg

compared to my WW II era 5spd freewheel, which i got at a hair over 29 mm.
20140201_055003.jpg

and WITHOUT the freewheel spacer, it seems to thread on tight with a hair to spare and spin freely (spacer ring on the floor, next to washer):
20140201_055332.jpg

but look at those giant screw heads well above the sidecover... :roll: i'm sure the caliper will scrape against those on the other side!

and what with venting sometime soon, maybe i can drag out this motor install another couple months... :p

mighta traumatized the batts by using close to 100% in the freezing temps. the controller protected them w/ the LowBatt cut outs, but i just barely made it home. probably saw a cell voltage delta of .300 V, maybe more :oops:

let the bike/batts warm up for 5 hours inside and then left it to charge overnight. in the am, i was surprised to see such a big delta in voltage:
20140131_161603.jpg

and curious pattern, no?

hey greg you're just experiencing the mount of the Hs40 on the DH comp... :D

I think you need a thin cassette spacer ring and a disk rotor spacer otherwise the calipter touch the screw .....

http://www.ebikes.ca/store/photos/DiskSpacer.jpg
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/re/fr/hope-rotor-spacer/rp-prod3288

and so maybe some spacer on your postmount adpater / kiwi dropout...for the calipter...

I mount a 7spd freewheel but with special dropouts and it's only usefull when no current :D :D

and what with venting sometime soon, ...
If you need I made a template for the HS40...for easy compass/puncting...
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45759&start=100#p808273
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29701432/ebike/2013_08/Crystalyte H4080 - Feuille1.pdf

dan974 said:
I think you need a thin cassette spacer ring
nope, not for my 5spd freewheel.
..and a disk rotor spacer otherwise the calipter touch the screw .....
yep, always use those.

been busy today:
- dished wheel more; loosened one side a full turn, tightened the other side a full turn. did the trick.
- cleaned my disgusting rotors (new ones coming in mail on tues)
20140201_141613.jpg

- painted controller in dark, terrible job! :lol:
20140201_065218.jpg

- tightened the sidecovers! turned out they weren't fully screwed in! :shock: (pic from before)
20140201_055425.jpg

- oh, and went for a ride! (removable zip ties in mail, due tues)
20140201_171556.jpg

first impressions:
- pulls harder on WOT but acceleration decreases
- 43 mph top speed on flat, only?
- certainly heavier than hs3540
- quite a heat sink with sidecovers on. up a couple hills and i got her up to 310F. gonna give it a commute or two, but expect issues on my uphill leg

leaving me with mixed feelings. it's looks pretty hot, and i'm thrilled to have a bit more power, but a bit disappointed i can cook it so easily...

heck, maybe i should vent it tomorrow!

ahhhhhh, nice black controller :D

now just for a puff on them red pos wires....... :wink:

those screws on the h4xxx are a frackin pain in the jacksie! i pissed mine off and swapped em for some stainless alen key bolts after i had to file slots in them for a flathead driver to get em out(kept stripping out)material was so soft :(

oh, and can you give us a slowmotion sequence on the 3am coffee spill next time :D

+1 on changing out the hub screws for Allen bolt screws. I had my hub cover come loose with the stock screws. No issues since I changed. Blue loctite as well for assurance.

dbaker said:
where are you reading temperature? What current is the motor drawing?
top right of display. 6kw max. 70A @80v...

for the record, the h40 says 12x5:
20140202_094756.jpg

does that mean it's the fast one?

i'm kicking myself for not drilling the sidecovers when i swapped the temp sensor inside the motor, but i didn't know how it would perform. oh well.

i didn't feel like wrestling the motor wires so pulled the stator off enough to be able to drill:
20140202_103255.jpg

that drill bit lastest through one side cover, but i fould a proper 1" metal hole saw at the hardware store which made quick work of the other side.

all back together, just in time for rainy commute tomorrow:
20140202_211621.jpg

that's pretty big holes !! maybe you could use a grid with epoxy as I did, the trouble could be that with an inpact onto it, you got like a sand paper on the winding...and the gap beetween windings and sidecovers is short...but keep dirt outside /or inside :roll: without reducing too much the vents... :roll:
DSC_0137.jpg%20-%20Visionneuse%20de%20photos%20Windows_2013-10-08_20-19-15.jpg

Back