GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

a bit nippy this morning. about 6 degrees Farenheit. so let's see, i commuted in at 40mph, so according to the chart, it felt somewhere between -15 and -22F:
windchill.gif

definitely a scarf day! :p oops better not put out my tongue or it'll freeze off..

my commute was only 10 min, and only my thumbs got cold. i've been very happy with my gloves so far.

how'd you did the rest of you do? dbaker, cresh, grindz?

My mistake not using goggles or full face helmet :( I had to stay at 20mph or below to reduce the pain. 2 layers of gloves were not enough :roll:

This past week we hit about -53 degrees Celsius, wouldn't even consider bike in this weather

Just realized my threshold is anything above 20 degrees F. The windchill pain seeps into any crack in your insulation armor.

And I'm not going to invest in heated gear that I could hook to my 12v plug. Just don't get enough of these arctic days to justify. Stay warm!

Stayed home after surgery for detached retina. All this cold weather riding can't be good for the eyes!

When I ride, I wear Marmot PreCip pants/jacket, a thin pair of slacks, golf polo, poly jacket, and bontrager windshell gloves... I've been fine riding in that down to into -5°F, but... that's on my pedal-bike, so I'm generating a lot of heat in that shell. I sprint to work. With the PreCip hood up, my ears/face stays quite warm.

My BB7 rear brake was frozen on my way back from work. Realized it was water ingress from previous rains. Put the bike in the "wheelie" position and water dripped out the cable housing. Proceeded to wick in Boeshield into the cable housing to remedy this.

This is a different kind of freeze I'm not used to... :?

samoloh said:
This past week we hit about -53 degrees Celsius, wouldn't even consider bike in this weather
-63.4F, that's insane. made me think of the boiling water -> vapor in those kinda temps and just saw this on devour.com:
[youtube]051ddIvQ2hI[/youtube]

Cresh said:
Stayed home after surgery for detached retina.
sorry to hear about that. i hope you go easy today. i think the greyborg suspension will soften your ride when you get that running! :twisted:

melodious said:
My BB7 rear brake was frozen ...Proceeded to wick in Boeshield into the cable housing to remedy this.
nice use for the boeshield. does that work? i wonder if wd40 would be better? i've been dabbing boeshield on my (spoke) nipples to counter the salt corrosion..

new spokes arrived last night for h40 wheel, and i hope to make some progress on that this week...

i've been bringing the bike indoors to warm up and then charge in the evening, and that's definitely improved the performance of the zippy's, which sag quite a bit when cold otherwise.

11F this morning :shock: Goggles and more layers did the trick. I ordered handlebar gloves from Amazon. :mrgreen:

Youre rear looks phat as H E -double toothpicks :D GCinDC.

I ride the Capitol Crescent trail so go along the Potomac visible from the Chain Bridge on. I did notice a lot more ice this morning than yesterday.

Cresh said:
Did you see the Potomac???
nice. if the canal freezes, there will be no more excuse for me to wait to put on studded tires! i so want to go skating with my bike... it's been ages since it froze as i recall.

nice full face, but i see nose exposure... :lol:

longer spokes arrived, silver unfortunately :? i was hoping for black - i maybe wasn't explicit on second order - but kindly given at discount over 460 ERD miscalcuation (but the miscalculation may have been mine after all. read on..)

i swapped them out last night, and as the wheel naturally centered, i grew increasing concerned that the spokes would be too long! as you can see, i had to persuade some of them to get in:
20140109_171945.jpg

long side on the left, short side of the right as i inserted them, sets of four as before, pretty damn simple actually:
20140109_172625.jpg

after all were replaced, i decided for fun to tighten up only the short side, first till no threads were visible inside wheel, then again until the spoke end itself kicked my screwdriver off the screw slot (i actually took this photo later after tightening both sides but it illustrates the spoke end in nipple...):
20140110_064749.jpg

the effect was a preposterous dishing, but confirmation that the spokes would NOT be too long! :D
20140109_174726.jpg

and here showing the (too) steep side - that wheel lacing guide said no spokes should be less than 10% off vertical i think:
20140109_174708.jpg

at that point i tightened up the long side spokes, to remove the slack, aware that this is still too dished:
20140110_064407.jpg

(note that this photo is a good illustration of how useless a normal bicycle wheel truing stand is for such a job; with only a brace on one support arm, the weight causes the other support arm to bend and hence twist in the stand, making any truing impossible - not to mention the fact that the truing guides themselves are too narrow for the wheel! and this is why i have to do all latter stage lacing on the bike frame - unless i get a motorcycle wheel truing stand...)

but back to the spoke lengths, i'll have to now loosen up the short side to decrease the dishing, tighten up the long side, and even after tensioning, i still doubt the threaded spoke ends will come close to penetrating the nipple slot.
20140110_064740.jpg

good thing they're long friggin nipples w/ lots of thread area.

so my conclusion is that while spokes cut for a 460 ERD may be fine for an undished wheel (i'm not positive they're long enough but perhaps they are), the fact is that the 5/8" (?) dishing i need for the wide flange and this wheel means i need significantly longer spokes (than determined by the spoke calculator at least).

truly shocking. someone ought to send out a press release.

We (in Poland) ofen using spokes for old type, custom motorcycles. This spokes are realy huge, 3.5mm diameter. Need to drill spoke holes in motor.
This is a link to polish site like a ebay: http://allegro.pl/szprycha-szprychy-kpl-szprych-romet-ogar-900-160mm-i3849137868.html
But i think all of this spokes are made in China so maybe on ebay you can find something lke thisone.

GCinDC said:
grindz145 said:
you need to get yourself one of these bad boys
sweet! whacha call that thing? link? i can practically read the url on the stand... mino??a.jp?

that be called a home trainer stand for your back wheel :)

pucksterpete said:
that be called a home trainer stand for your back wheel :)
yeah, troy told me about it offline. i started looking for them, but i started to dread axle mount issues with some of the ones i saw, when i realized, maybe mine just needed a little lovin'. et voila:

20140112_100301.jpg

now the wheel rests nice and square. i want to take my time with this wheel and do it nicely, not just quickly while mounted in bike frame, so just have to make the bottom and side guides...
20140112_100329.jpg

Back