Help finding frame for first build for heavy guy

JumperJordan

1 µW
Greetings all,

please pardon my ignorance on some topics as I'm new to the e-bike world, and this is my first post on this forum.

So, to fill out the normal "form":
Desired max speed on level ground: 20+ mph
Desired max range at what cruising speed: 15+ mile range at 15+mph
Preferred bike wheel size, or wheel size of bike you want to convert: Open to suggestions, but 26 seems easiest
Brake type of motor wheel: Disc
Rider weight: 350 lbs + cargo (spare battery and backpack for work, est. 20lbs)
Terrain: Mostly flat, a few average hills, primary route has two hill each way to/from work.
Budget: Approx. $2K USD for all parts.

TL;DR - Looking for a frame that will easily handle 400lbs that has mounts for disc brakes.

1) Do I actually have to worry about bike weight, or can I just get a bike and be done with it?

2) Do most bikes have mounts for disc brakes? If no, can someone point me at a good frame?

As the title says, I'm a big guy, about 350 lbs, and I want to be able to carry a spare battery and my backpack to work and perhaps grabbing a few groceries, etc. I've been doing a lot of research the past few weeks and I'm wondering, based on my size, do I actually have to worry about weight limits on bikes, or are they just to cover the manufacturers asses? I've been looking at a lot of e-bikes that list a weight limit right around 350lbs, is the bike going to break after that, or is it just going to hinder performance?

I found the "Worksman" bikes in my searches, which seem to be decently priced for their claim of supporting 550lbs, but the don't seem to use any other standard components, and I really want disc brakes on my bike just for peace of mind.

I was originally interested in the RadWagon from RadPower bikes, but again it lists a max limit of 350lbs for rider and cargo, and I prefer the idea of "building" it myself, with a kit, probably from LunaCycle. I was thinking either a Magic Pie 5 kit or their other "Ebike Kit" 1KW hub motor, and probably one of their 52V batteries. It seems most bikes don't have the mounts for disc brakes on them unless they come with disc brakes. I'm expecting about $1200 USD for the kit and battery, so I can't be spending $1500 on just a donor bike. I can slowly upgrade parts in the future, but to get started I need to have a fully functioning bike to get me to work for around $2k

Sorry for rambling, I hope what I'm asking for is easy to understand, if not I'll happily explain more. Thanks for your help!

That looks good! A bit more expensive than I would like, doesn't leave much room for accessories or anything, but it's a very solid contender. It fits exactly what I want. It doesn't HAVE to be a cargo bike, that just suits my use case best. Thanks!

JumperJordan said:
get me to work for around $2k
Sorry for rambling, I hope what I'm asking for is easy to understand, if not I'll happily explain more. Thanks for your help!

I sent you a private message as to why I would recommend these 2 bikes.
$699 http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-boris-x7-fatbikes.htm
$999 http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-borisfs-x9-bluto-ltd.htm

Back