How To Solder Your Own VESC!

You won't save any money most likely. But you will get a lot of fun.
BOM is here https://github.com/vedderb/bldc-hardware/blob/master/design/BLDC4.12_BOM.ods (OpenOffice document)

Stainless Steel top and bottom stencils at oshstencils.com for VESC 4.12 = $38.41
http://i.imgur.com/7PYKJoJ.png
When settting border to 0.75" instead of 1.25" the price comes down to $25!

Hi!

I have soldered over 5 VESCs using normal soldering iron and hot air (no soldering paste). I can make a video demonstrating my techniques if there's interest. It takes about an hour to solder one.

It would go something like this: https://i.imgur.com/3kcyfXk.gifv

Hai Galp,
I would very much like to see your tips on soldering a VESC.
I also have only a soldering iron and a hot air gun.
I would greatly appreciate to see your experience and knowledge.

- burned my 4.7 Vesc - Anybody got an extra?? (4.7+)
.. Need shipped express to Canada..

The hardest thing is the drv and arm pins. To solder them correctly make sure all the pins are lined up EXACTLY with the contacts. Otherwise you will get solder bridges. For the drv I just align it by hand then solder the ground pad, the arm I use some double sided tape to hold it to the board before soldering(there is just enough of a gap between the chip and board for the tape). Have a large tip to do the fets so it will heat the mass of the board enough to melt the solder.

I have attempted 3 vesc's and failed at all three but the last two have been close to success. I finally ordered a lab power supply but i am not sure what settings i should have it set as far as voltage and current. I would like to power the vesc on and make sure it connects with the lab power supply what should I set the voltage and current too. I know to spin the motor up I will need to increase the current but before I even do that I want to just power up and make sure the vesc connects. Thank You...

BTW I am using
pcb board from dirtypcbs
homemade arduino soldering oven
a template for the soldering paste but i think it applies to much solder and causes bridging

It is not possible to do the arm or drv chips with the oven, you need to do it with a solder iron. I made a video using a tiny flat tip iron I bought, works perfectly. It is tricky to do it with any soldering iron but it is possible. Make sure the pins are lined up exactly with the pads, otherwise they will bridge with solder. Then with enough flux you will get the hang of it, the solder goes where it should and does not bridge like in this video.
[youtube]c6E_rA1rGto[/youtube]

I don t understand why it would not work with a reflow oven. I was intending to try ... can you explain the problem ??

And I do not see how you solder the ground pad behind the chip. The pins, I understand, but the ground pad ??

I bought a stencil and tried applying solder paste to the drv and arm chips and the contacts are too small and close together. After I applied the chips it was a mess. IMO it is not worth it to spend the time with a reflow station. I can get one done in about an hour and a half hand soldering.

Thanks for your precious input.
I might use the oven for the other components and use the more traditionnal methods for the ARM and DRV.
Anyway it is always useful to hear from other people experience.

Back