• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

gtadmin said:
Sorry to hear that Jay, but I have a brand new 9C that I could be tempted to sell :p :D

Thanks GT but I have a spare here from the initial order I placed with crystalyte. It has damaged hall wires (damaged in shipping) so I might run new ones for those and beef up the phases while I'm in there and make that my new daily motor. The windings are fairly brown looking on the other motor but it was still running fine. Getting cold now the temps wouldn't have been an issue through winter. It has had a VERY hard life though, had the snot beaten out of it off road over very rough trails at high speed and exposed to 5000w daily when sealed before being air cooled and then exposed to the same treatment ongoing. I've done around 3000ks in 6 months on it and I'm sure it'd have done much more if not for this mechanical failure.
Ah well, good data points I suppose. Another one chalked up to R&D

knoxie said:
are you sure you are going to be able to trust it being welded up? at the speeds and style of riding you do?
She'll be right mate! (I'm pretty sure only Aussies can say that :lol: )

feeling the urge to start a lets buy Hyena a new hub motor thread :p
haha take no further pity on me, I have some shiny new HS35 crystalyte motors on they way :mrgreen: which is why I'm not bummed about this

wait till AJ sees this...hang on to your hat mate he is going to have the field day of field days :lol:
haha we've now tied for killing motors although technically a blob of weld on mine and it'll be good as new. Actually once I DO get around to fixing it it'll be better than new! Well, the welds anyway...

Ypedal said:
Oh.. wait.. what's that... is AJ's bike running right now ? i think it broke while in the driveway last time did it not ? :lol: .. 20 cm ride ?
To be fair I did a few laps around the block which would have probably been almost 2km :lol:

Thud said:
please concentraight on the scenery (chicks). You'll just end up in a morgue trying to emulate Greg!
haha I'm not trying to emulate Greg, I'll leave him cutting it close in traffic. I'm a different flavour of maniac :p
As for the scenery, as above it's winter here now so they're all rugged up. If I haven't broken the camera or myself in the 6 months I'll take you on a scenic journey in 1080p :wink:
Speaking of which, I got a popcorn hour yesterday - HD media player to power my new home theatre. I hooked it up to my 50" plasma while waiting for my projector to arrive and bugger me, the 720p beach video is FLAWLESS on the big screen. It's SO crisp and sharp, it's the best image I think I've ever seen on a TV. A paused image looks like a still shot from my DSLR. Normally footage shot on consumer cameras (as expecially something as small as the gopro) don't look too good compared to footage shot with professional studio cameras but this was just as good as some 1080p bluray rips I have here. Very impressive and so much different to how it looks on my "small" 22" PC LCD screen

Thanks for the tips on the cold weather gear guys. Sounds like I have some shopping to do.

I could not tell from the video if it was the stator moving on the axle or if the axle had broken. Can you move the motor on the axle from the drive side dropout?

This may be due to the long ride on the rim when you got the flat :shock:

Thud said:
even "sweet jumps" are more than them wheelzs are built to handle
hey thud, i'm still having trouble getting the word "morgue" out of my head (i had to ID someone down there last year and it was not fun.) nevermind that. anyway, what about the stealth motors? they're using hub motors, right? or are the HS3540's significantly tougher?
stealth-bomber-jumping.jpg

Hyena, can you think of a time this might have cracked? Or did Rattle on Rim Ride slowly do it? Seems like there must have been some particular event...

PS. did you shoot that in mode 4 (not 3, 60fps), because widescreen would have cropped out too much?

This guy jumping uses x5 motor

GCinDC said:
what about the stealth motors? they're using hub motors, right? or are the HS3540's significantly tougher?
stealth-bomber-jumping.jpg

I think the fighters use those or something similar, the bombers have a beefier X5 type motor. They use huge motorbike type spokes though - like 11 or 10ga.

Hyena, can you think of a time this might have cracked? Or did Rattle on Rim Ride slowly do it? Seems like there must have been some particular event...
Thinking about it more I'm pretty sure I know exactly when it happened, and it wasn't from riding...
When I went to remove the stator from the old hub I started winding down my 3 jaw puller and quickly realised I'd only removed the bolts from one side of the hub (it was late, cold in the garage and I was hurrying) Something made a noise when doing this but these hubs always creak and click and otherwise make noise as you're pulling them apart. In hindsight, it may have been then that I broke the weld :oops:
I haven't had time to open it back up yet, plus it's too cold to ride anyway until I get some winter gear.

PS. did you shoot that in mode 4 (not 3, 60fps), because widescreen would have cropped out too much?
Yeah I shot the 360 degree cam footage in 960 mode as it shows more length ways. It still scales to full screen on my PC but got cropped in youtube. I'll go back to 720p 60fps in future)

Hyena said:
This is my charger I've been using for about 18 months.
It's set at 6S voltage (25.1v) and dishes out 18 amps through the parallel harness I have set up.
With the watt meter built in I can see exactly how much juice it's put back into my pack, which is useful if I'm close to empty out on the road as it takes out alot of the guess work. This puts 6ah back into my 18S2P pack in an hour which is usually all I need to get home from where ever I am if I've used up the whole pack on a long ride. An hour is a bit of a long wait though if it's just a quick stop somewhere hence why I'm going to make one with double the power for a full recharge in around an hour.

Hey Hyena,

Very much enjoyed reading your posts and videos.

Do you reconfigure your battery to charge it? Why charge at 25.1v?

I'm new to this so the nomenclature is above me but I assume that your 72v batt is two parallel arrays of 18cells in series (18S2P). I would have thought that you needed to charge that battery at 72v?

Cachexian.

Too cold to ride :shock: GC & I ride with studded tires after the snow hits :mrgreen:

What is the stator status? All of us like to see motor carnage :twisted:

BWAHAHAHAHA at frocked frock, super reliable my ass, low grade casting, overweight, overpriced, undrpowered
UNRELIABLE crap, AND... haha AAAND it couldnt have happened to a nicer bloke :mrgreen:
and to all you frock fan bois who push reliability you can kiss my fat disabled white ass... i seen
more burnt frocks and blown controllers in the last week alone than i have seen burnt up rc motors
in the last 6 months ... ...think thats it OH no wait, while i have you frock bois attention ...
... to all those that whinge and whine to YPedal Man about me using the term Frock ::tissues:: ?
thinking it will stop me, you can also kiss my white disabled ass, what a bunch of girls, dont like it put me on your foes list instead of
running off like a hurt bitch to the 'teacher' I have broken no forum rules using the term "frock" so why are you all complaining?!?!
What do you think it will achieve? Aside from taking up poor Gastons time that could be used usefully elswhere.
I had tonned done my use of the term frock recently it was your beloved Hyean and Luke that bought it all up
again in a :what is a frock motor" thread which i had NOTHING to do with...

EDiTED 3rd August 2011 TO KEEP THE IDENTITY OF E-BIKE Sarah ALIVE... :mrgreen:

Too those who dont know what the term 'frock means... go look it up in Wikipedia full description there ... Has NOTHING to do with 'gay bashing' Has everything to do with getting a reaction and seems i have been successful there
:: tissues:: ?

Think thats it...for now :mrgreen:

cachexian said:
Do you reconfigure your battery to charge it? Why charge at 25.1v?

Thats what you charge 22v Lipo too... Jay uses 24v Meanwel PSU to charge
the pump more current out than higher voltage rated meanwels.. i.e 36 and 48v units.
I'm guessing jay has 18s 3p pack, reconfigured it can be one big 22v packs he can
bulk charge with the one charger and/or use a couple of 24v Meanwels to charge
a couple of reconfigured 22v parallel packs...

KiM

cachexian said:
I'm new to this so the nomenclature is above me but I assume that your 72v batt is two parallel arrays of 18cells in series (18S2P). I would have thought that you needed to charge that battery at 72v?
Yep that's right. My pack is essentially made up of 3 x 6S 10ah blocks that are charged in parallel but discharged in series for 72v (ish)

dbaker said:
Too cold to ride :shock: GC & I ride with studded tires after the snow hits :mrgreen:
haha yeah but my current winter wardrobe consists of a pair of jeans, a long sleave tshirt and a leather jacket. It doesn't quite cut it when the windchill is below 0 :lol:
I've ordered some snow pants and a balaclava ( A skull face one :twisted: ) so that should keep me warm.

What is the stator status? All of us like to see motor carnage :twisted:
I haven't had a chance to open it yet, been busy making a kit for someone and when I've taken their money I make them the priority.
I'm sure the damage won't be spectacular at all to look at.
I may not revive this motor any time soon though - I just got notification that my order of new crystalyte motors has just hit Aussie shores and is with customs now so fingers crossed I have them tomorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AussieJester said:
BWAHAHAHAHA at frocked frock, super reliable my ass, low grade casting, overweight, overpriced, undrpowered
UNRELIABLE crap, AND... haha AAAND it couldnt have happened to a nicer bloke :mrgreen:
hahah I was waiting for this reply :p
To be fair, I HAVE thrashed the daylights out of this motor and in the end it was my own mistake and mechanical trauma that wrecked it, not as a result of any mechanical or electrical failure. As for being overpriced you're well and truely barking up the wrong tree there buddy! Frock motors are quite economical especially when you factor in the cost of time and hardware involved to set up a RC drive. Anyway lets not go down that road again - there are other threads for that (endless! :p ) debate.

I'm guessing jay has 18s 3p pack, reconfigured it can be one big 22v packs he can
bulk charge with the one charger
Close, it's 18s2p but yeah, it's essentially charged as a 6S 30ah pack

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
hahah I was waiting for this reply :p
To be fair, I HAVE thrashed the daylights out of this motor and in the end it was my own mistake and mechanical trauma that wrecked it, not as a result of any mechanical or electrical failure. As for being overpriced you're well and truely barking up the wrong tree there buddy! Frock motors are quite economical especially when you factor in the cost of time and hardware involved to set up a RC drive. Anyway lets not go down that road again -

Yeah right and i baby my stuff :roll: :roll: ...i have proven i have pumped 10kw into the motors i use, i haul my 90kilo beef cakeness around AND pull a wheelchair behind it up some very steep inclines...yet, when i do this and break something theres a big hooray parte' :roll: Once again, you frock bois can all kiss my white disabled ass.

KiM

AussieJester said:
Yeah right and i baby my stuff :roll: :roll: ...i have proven i have pumped 10kw into the motors i use, i haul my 90kilo beef cakeness around AND pull a wheelchair behind it up some very steep inclines...
As we tell the lycras, this isn't a competition :wink:
You stress yours harder electrically, my abuse is more a combination of electrical and mechanical.

Once again, you frock bois can all kiss my white disabled ass, gloves are off bois...
Yes I imagine it's easier to untwist ones knickers without gloves :lol: :p

Save the venom for rodgah, converting from twin astros to a high voltage single frock!
I'm happy to hook the guy up but I think the performance won't come close to what he had before.

Thanks for the battery info guys. I looked into Lipo a bit more and realised what a stupid question that was :oops:

Oh well, thats why I'm a noob.

Cachexian.

There once was a man named Oz Jester
Who thought RC drives were much bester
He paid out hub drives
With his dribble and jibes
But the rest of us couldn't care lester

LOL you hilarious KiM, Keep coming, I gotta love him (No I'm straight)

I've been a bit quiet on teh video front lately with my bike being in pieces, so enjoy this corker I saw today.
[youtube]LiORvK-v3ys[/youtube]
The funny bit is an unexpected but awesome twist. Nice work Russian Merv Hughes :lol:

INSPIRED BY DUCT TAPE!

Went out for early morning ride today and, what do you know, the bolt securing my Topeak rack sheared off! :shock: Crap! Couldn't fix that with my spare bolts. :(

Well I thought of Hyena's bike and tootled down to the local petrol station and got some tape and taped the rack back on. It held good for the rest of the 60k ride.

Thanks Hyena! Now duct tape is part of my emergency repair kit!

Cachexian.

Yes they are crap I broke 2 bolts, the racks are pretty strong though and I abuse mine, I dremmeled mine out a bit and fitted a massive M12 bolt in there as I dont need it to be quick release, been fine ever since, its a design flaw i am pretty certain as I was only running half the safe working load of the rack at the time. You can see the size bolt on this picture, the seatpost snapped though! ha ha I think thats too many doughnuts :p

Attachments

• small1.jpg
    small1.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 1,392
Yeah. I've got the explorer rack so it attaches to the bike frame in four places. And I'm well within the load limit. Go figure!

Sydney roads are rubbish full of potholes etc and since this is my commuter bike I'm constantly riding up and down kerbs onto bike paths etc. When you do that over and over at speed somethings eventually got to fail. At least it wasn't the fork - I probably couldn't have duct taped that back on!

Those Topeak racks won't last long in the trails. I broke two of them. The bolts will go first, then the stress will fatigue near the weld joint and shear. My third rack, I ended up milling a custom support. It's been holding up so far. The added battery weight and rack totaled 10 lbs. Half of the spec. Rating. With the support beam, it's much stiffer and no longer sways. I think the seat post will break first now. This is on my BMC build.

hehe good to hear you have embraced the duct tape. They should create a religion based on the worship of duct tape. Forget ficticious characters from a 2000 year old story book, it's duct tape that really saves :mrgreen: :lol:

I pulled my hub apart last night hoping to see a cracked weld I could fix but everything was actually fine. A small very thin deformed washer fall off the axle from the inside when I opened it but other than that nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Sort of like a circlip, but not. I put it back together and it still has the movement it in so I dunno what's wrong with it. What normally holds the stator exactly central in the hub other than magnetic attraction ???

In other news I had a spare 5 minutes this afternoon to play with a cable cam set up. It was shot at dusk so the quality isn't the best but it was more just to rest the concept anyway. The mount is my swivel gopro plate with a piece of tube glued to the bottom and I used a piece of rope just a for a quick test. It came out a bit jiggley but with the rope tensioned tighter and the camera falling only under gravity (ie not shoved down the string) I think it'd work ok. The spinning effect in the last shot is an interesting one, though is probably just another way to induce spewing for many :lol:

[youtube]0IGQbgaFF7U[/youtube]

Hyena said:
The mount is my swivel gopro plate with a piece of tube glued to the bottom and I used a piece of rope just a for a quick test. It came out a bit jiggley but with the rope tensioned tighter and the camera falling only under gravity (ie not shoved down the string) I think it'd work ok.

Get a couple of pulleys with real bearings instead of the tube. Should make for a much smoother flight, and allow a much shallower angle on the guide rope.

Hillhater said:
Bush vandal !! :shock:
haha they were already dead, just breaking them off :p

I should point out that the track shown is my own personal test circuit 8)
Well, near enough, it's right behind my house and I've commandeered it from the neighborhood kids :p
I've been taking some materials down to build up some jumps and berms and with some vague encouragement the kids lept into action. I went for a walk through the following day with my little fella and this small army of 8-14 year old track gnomes were busy with rakes and shovels doing all the hard work. It was like age of empires or one of those type games - I right clicked on my workers and set out their task then they autonomously got the job done while I was off doing something else :lol:

adrian_sm said:
Get a couple of pulleys with real bearings instead of the tube. Should make for a much smoother flight, and allow a much shallower angle on the guide rope.

Most definitely, and that's the way I'll go. I just rigged this up to see how it'd go out of curiosity. I had a quick look at bunnings the other day for some pulleys but couldn't find any. I'll try the local marine shop when I get a chance. I did try to make some by grinding a channel into some caster wheels but it didn't work too well with the hard rubber.

Back