Just got my ebike kit from yescomusa what battery?

That depends on what betteries you have now. Otherwise a 72V 40A+ controller with 24s rc lipo will get you there for sure.

What's a good v72 controller?

Any with 100V caps and fets that you can afford. Mine cost $35 shipped and is going on 3 years now. It's a Hua Tong OT1, but out of production now I'm sure. Most any generic 72V controller should support 24s ok. if I were buying now, I'd probably get this one and have it customized fro what I wanted.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-72V-1500W-45Amax-BLDC-motor-speed-controller-15FET-4410-s-Electric-Bicycle-Controller/499889986.html

wesnewell said:
Any with 100V caps and fets that you can afford. Mine cost $35 shipped and is going on 3 years now. It's a Hua Tong OT1, but out of production now I'm sure. Most any generic 72V controller should support 24s ok. if I were buying now, I'd probably get this one and have it customized fro what I wanted.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-72V-1500W-45Amax-BLDC-motor-speed-controller-15FET-4410-s-Electric-Bicycle-Controller/499889986.html

Controller has been ordered, estimated shipping time is 24 days.

I didn't buy the lipo's yet, I'm thinking what is the most cost effective way to buy 4s packs or 5s, I want to run 20s.
What about buying these? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18631__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S1P_14_8v_20C_hardcase_pack_USA_Warehouse_.html
They seem like good value.

You need to consider how you are going to charge them before you make a battery choice and make sure they will work together easily. You can get 20s using 5 4s packs, but you can't split them in the middle to charge as a 10s pack. You'd have to parallel charge them as a big 4s pack if you want to use an rc charger. so if you plan on charging with an rc charger, you need to use an even number of packs. For 20s that means 4 5s packs. If you go to 24s, then you could use 6 4s packs in series and split them to 12s packs to charge, but you'd need to make adapter balance cable to turn 3 4s plugs into 2 6s plugs. That's what I did simply because it's a one time construction of the cbales and then I can use 4s packs forever. If you don't want to mess around making adapter balance cable then just go with 4 6s packs for 24s. A bms for charging is always an option.

wesnewell said:
That controller only hadles 1500w max?

1500W is the 24/7 rating, not the max watts you can get out of it. VA=W, so 100x45=4500W

wesnewell said:
1500W is the 24/7 rating, not the max watts you can get out of it. VA=W, so 100x45=4500W
yea that's what confused me.cause 100x45=4500 but it was saying 1500w, so i wasn't sure.

to add on to that, what's a 24/7 rating? i'm an idiot sorry

also i noticed that is is also 45a like this $100 infineon controller, http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=38&product_id=82
is there any real difference between these two? is the infineon somehow better enough to warrant the $50 price difference?

Means it's rated to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (continuous) at up to 1500W. The difference is the model and number of fets. The one from em3 is 12 fet 4110's, the other is 15 fet 4410's. the 4110's have a better rdson time, but it make very little difference in performance. google 4410 and 4110 mosfets and you can find the data sheets for each.

wesnewell said:
Means it's rated to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (continuous) at up to 1500W. The difference is the model and number of fets. The one from em3 is 12 fet 4110's, the other is 15 fet 4410's. the 4110's have a better rdson time, but it make very little difference in performance. google 4410 and 4110 mosfets and you can find the data sheets for each.
but other than that, they have the same functionalities correct? regen braking and etc...

if so, i'd probably buy one from aliexpress too instead of spending extra on em3ev or ebike.ca for a controller

tomtom123 said:
but other than that, they have the same functionalities correct? regen braking and etc...
All have the same basic functionality. Some may have different extra functions, such as cruise control, regen, reverse, etc. Some may have functions that aren't enabled internally, and some may not bring out wires for the functions. And some functions may actually work different on different controllers. Cruise control on some controller are activated by holding the throttle in one position for a period of time and then releasing it. Some may have a button. Some may do it by actual speed, while others may do it by power. I much prefer the button method, as the throttle method is awkward and can engage when you really don't want it to. So, if you want to know the functions of the one you buy, you'll need to ask the seller, and even then, there will probably be other functions not stated. To be sure, you'd need to get hold of the manufacturer. Good luck with that.

wesnewell said:
tomtom123 said:
All have the same basic functionality. Some may have different extra functions, such as cruise control, regen, reverse, etc. Some may have functions that aren't enabled internally, and some may not bring out wires for the functions. And some functions may actually work different on different controllers. Cruise control on some controller are activated by holding the throttle in one position for a period of time and then releasing it. Some may have a button. Some may do it by actual speed, while others may do it by power. I much prefer the button method, as the throttle method is awkward and can engage when you really don't want it to. So, if you want to know the functions of the one you buy, you'll need to ask the seller, and even then, there will probably be other functions not stated. To be sure, you'd need to get hold of the manufacturer. Good luck with that.

The Controller that you are currently, do you know if that works with a crystlyte hs3540 motor? do you think it's possible to use these aliexpress controllers with the crytalyste motor without problems or should i just spend extra and buy the infineon controllers from ebike.ca for more compatibility and less headaches? i feel like saving $75 though, but not sure if it's worth the trouble. i've never bought anything from aliexpress or alibaba lol.

The controller I'm using will work with any motor with sensors. It is not sensorless nor would I run a sensorless motor.

wesnewell said:
The controller I'm using will work with any motor with sensors. It is not sensorless nor would I run a sensorless motor.
so the yesomusa usa kit is sensored? hmm i didn't know that, thanks. But then again, i heard that most ebike motors are sensored, very few are sensorless. I'm guess the Bafang BPM 500w is sensored too.

Edit: yea the bafang bpm is sensored too, i just saw the BPM teardown post on endlessphere

Since my ebike is using a LED display, and wont operate unless the display is on, can I just bypass it by connecting the red wire to the display and connect it to the controller power wire?

I don't know amything aabout the controller with the display. But if you get a new controller, it won't need the display hooked up to operate. The only reason to get a new controller would be if you wanted to run more volts than the original can handle. I haven't looked, but I'm sure they make controllers with displays that will handle more than the original 48V controller.

Ordered
3 x Turnigy 5s 20c http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15008__Turnigy_5000mAh_5S_20C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=turnigy%205s%2020c
350w PSU
Thunder 1220 Charger
6 into 1 charging harness
6 into 1 parallel balance harness

Anything else I need? I also have a CAv3

Whats the max amps I can draw on 15s pack?

5ah times 20c =100A, but wouldn't draw more than 50A from it if I were you. If you need more than that I'd get 10ah. But don't worry, if you're using the yescomusa controller, it won't draw more than 30A unless you do a shunt mod. And then you shouldn't mod it for more than 45A.

Went to 15s, 63v wow what a beast compared to 48v. Top speed increased from 29-30 to 33-34mph, the greatest difference is the acceleration is just phenominal, torque has increased. Slight wheelies in going from a stop, and can hit 20mph in a only a few seconds, ramping up to 28mph quickly. Where as 48v is tame, 63v is just ridiculous. Its like going from a 250cc bike to a 500cc. 39A peak, pulling 2200-2300w.

1898118_10201620952821723_431780285_n.jpg

evolutiongts said:
Went to 15s, 63v wow what a beast compared to 48v. Top speed increased from 29-30 to 33-34mph, the greatest difference is the acceleration is just phenominal, torque has increased. Slight wheelies in going from a stop, and can hit 20mph in a only a few seconds, ramping up to 28mph quickly. Where as 48v is tame, 63v is just ridiculous. Its like going from a 250cc bike to a 500cc. 39A peak, pulling 2200-2300w.

1898118_10201620952821723_431780285_n.jpg

this is with what controller? Ku123?

also you moved to lipos now?

Using the original controller that came with the kit. Yep switch to lipos yesterday, huge jump in performance.

evolutiongts said:
Using the original controller that came with the kit. Yep switch to lipos yesterday, huge jump in performance.
Is is possible to show me your lipo set up ? for example, what chargers or cables are you using? How did you connect the lipos in parallel and series? How are you charging?

i'm thinking of using lipos also

Back