LightningRods mid drive kit

I have used cut outs countless times, they work great!

Just using tools I have access to makes sense to me.

It is surprisingly easy to get objects into 3d space these days without spending a fortune.

jeremyll said:
He just emailed that he sent mine. I'm 'jeremyll' on the list. Excited!! - My first ebike build.

Lightning Rods Honor Roll- 8/16/2014

"X" denotes kit currently in production.

Completed- Ron R- US
Completed- Eric- US
Completed- Ken F- Canada
Completed- Dennis P- Canada
Completed- David B- UK
Completed- Leif D- US
Completed- Herman L- US
Completed- Dawson J- Canada
Completed- James D- Canada
Completed- Bryan K- US
1- Elhanan M- Israel X
2- Vincent D- Canada X
3- Brian M- US X
4- Jeremy L- US X
5- Andrew F- UK X
6- Tom F- US X
7- Stephen F- Switz X
8- Paul D- US X
9- Richard K- US X
10- Zach J- US X
11- Dean M- US X
12- Derek M- Canada
13- Tom E- Australia
14- Nathan B- Canada
15- Fabrice V- France
16- John B- Florida, US
17- Steven H- CA, US
18- Nathan B- Canada
19- Jason S- TX, US
20- Sid A- Australia
21- Wayne S- UK

I believe that LR is putting time into improving the infrastructure of his business: machine shop vendors, supplies, etc. This is a transition time for him, changing his operation from from "enthusiast builder" to small business. Having been through this before, I can sympathize with LR. It's really stressful for everyone concerned. Everyone (owner, customers and vendors) are affected by every little change or delay. In addition, he is continually adding improvements to the kit. It's tough to know when to "shoot the engineer and ship the product."

sparkz said:
I believe that LR is putting time into improving the infrastructure of his business: machine shop vendors, supplies, etc. This is a transition time for him, changing his operation from from "enthusiast builder" to small business. Having been through this before, I can sympathize with LR. It's really stressful for everyone concerned. Everyone (owner, customers and vendors) are affected by every little change or delay. In addition, he is continually adding improvements to the kit. It's tough to know when to "shoot the engineer and ship the product."

Well said.

Am I interpreting that correctly?
6 weeks to make 4 motors???

Also, Mike is only listing customers on ES that are from ES...he has other customers that have found his kit from the article on electricbike.com, and he did not those customers here.

And not all ES member orders are on that list. I am a good example of that.

I think you will see that list get deliveries quicker moving forward.

Has anyone put together one of his kits on a fat bike yet with a 100mm BB?

I feel it's appropriate to ask since it may have happened outside of this forum. :wink:

Perhaps I have missed something somewhere...

Can't you just use what comes with the Fatbike and LR's kit?

1BFC said:
Perhaps I have missed something somewhere...

Can't you just use what comes with the Fatbike and LR's kit?

If it's external bearing BB or a square taper, then you'd have to use different cranks altogether.

LR's kit comes with ISIS freewheeling cranks. :wink:

Well I'm pretty sure it's an external bearing setup from the factory. Looks like I'll need to learn what will need to be replaced.

Here's the bike: http://www.motobecane.com/fat/sturgisb.html

well, since ya'll missed me :) my crank arms just received. the main drive is.. fingers crossed fingers crossed fingers crossed fingers crossed... in customs should passing :oops: customs today. the controller L-R sent should be arriving by the end of the month if not later, however i decided not to wait for it, i asked lyen and he said the bmc controller i have should work with l-r kit as well, so i'm gonna try the match phase hall game..

You cant wait 2 days for the end of the month for the proper controller? It is literally going to take that long just to set the kit up on your bike and work through any bugs. You may as well wait for the controller... I think we all know you must be excited but try not to destroy the motor before you even get a chance to play!

jdevo2004 said:
You cant wait 2 days for the end of the month for the proper controller? It is literally going to take that long just to set the kit up on your bike and work through any bugs. You may as well wait for the controller... I think we all know you must be excited but try not to destroy the motor before you even get a chance to play!

i didn't even get the kit yet, should be tommorow, or the next day if all goes well .
how can you work through any bugs if you don't have a controller to flush them out in the first place?

the 2 days is an assessment, were' now in the midst of a holiday season, and it's slowest mail around.

on the other hand i've been doing the match phase/halls dance between the macs and bmc controllers/motors so much i have a special wiring ready between a controller and a multi-meter
IMG_20140928_200306.jpg
, as well as set of jumper wires for the halls, i discovered that the BMC motor i should get 5 amps with no -load, and with MAC motors i should 2.6 amps at no load for proper rotation, so i would imagine L-R motor would require around that or less, if goes around 3 amps or more then throttle is midway i'll stop.

i'm also not too sure about these infneion controllers, an engineer i know told me a 12 FET can't possible sustain 2000 amps for long time, and the ones i have mostly are scorching hot with use with the BMC, i would assume it's because their peak load is 2000 watts and not continuous load (there's that peak vs continuous confusion again) even lyen's controller didnt' work as well as i expected with bmc motor, infact it acted like it had only 9 FET and kept stattering and had strange short pauses in a middle of a ride. only BMC controller was able to withstand thus far. i was took for repair and electrician told me that thing was built to withstand huge loads, that he had a hell of a time trying to replace FETS as the solder kept cooling off before he could get at them.

jdevo2004 said:
U think too much bro. Make your life simpler and just wait.

why does everyone keep telling me that:)

i have a "deadline" i'm on vacation from 5 (maybe 7th), then i have a week to sort any bugs, and get all my parts in a row. don't forget that these are my commute to work across 10 miles each day, i so don't wanna get stranded over crap, call a cab and mount the bike on the roof.. again.

the kit still stuck in customs for over a day and half , might be due to the holidays, might be due to regulations,hell i might never get it, i just sent email to customs agent, see if they can tell more tomorrow.

well i don't know if my eyes are wrong, but i keep getting into this situation no matter what i do
B39VK7ykPvxcRJeDV6pXgjrclWmlX7QNFdDg_iUTmg=w1359-h1019-no

but i don't i matters anymore none of it will matter soon..

Just received mine in the mail!

Next steps -

Pay off this month's bills
Buy batteries (thanks to spinningmagnets for his earlier advice)
Get a CA3
Beg for assistance (first e-bike build)!

Thanks to all who have already posted their hints and "here's-how-to-do-it" advice, and thanks in advance for answering my future dumb questions.

i just recieved mine as well!! after 6 months!!!
but not before it had to sign a written consent, for a new procedure they've instigated that i won't resell this to a 3rd party, it's for my own personal use, that i'm aware i'm forbidden to import anything that's not on protocol order 2008, it's my own responsibility that install it on a license or authorized dealer , and that.. i relinquish any claim against or law suit against the DMV or israel post or customs.

now initially i started to think they are being telepathic, but when i saw the words 'drive' on the invoice , and the RACING kart chain box, i suddenly understood ;)
it's a pity i didn't have a car, cause they had a field to place license plate
right, first step, phasers and halls matching with bmc, this evening.
IMG_20141002_095524.jpg

hi,

I cannot read it on the bill,.... what is actually the price for a complete LR-kit right now (with all the updates from the last time)

greets

gernot

does anyone know whats the amp usage of the motor at no load?

Back