• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Luke's new race bike build thread.

We popped 28hp on the dyno for a very narrow peak (unlike most electric motors that have a broad curve).

However, it would start to smoke after about 15-20sec at those settings.

The final tune that we ended up running with to try to keep the motor from smoking has the controller at something like 68%, and doing like 21hp over a nice broad curve.

BiMoPed said:
I am organizing BICYCLE racing you retard. If they turn into motorcycles that is defeating
the whole purpose. We might as well race real motorcycles in the many available venues.
The second you put a motor gas electric or anything of ANY power level it becomes a motorcycle so you are just making rule to try to make themwork for you but go ahead it would work for much longer
BiMoPed said:
There is only one event that I know of this year to race Motorized Bicycles and that is at
my next race on Oct 22nd.
Next race there will be a truly unlimited class for bikes like this.
I do plan to try to come down to at least one good race we will see which one it is!
BiMoPed said:
You are just another forum big mouth that will never dare to show up! :mrgreen:
Haha yeh I never do anything to back my shit up. :roll:
BiMoPed said:
I have sand in my vigina
Realy lol hu doesn't suprise me.

BiMoPed said:
I am a friendly guy too, just ask any of the 9 ebikers who showed at Willow Springs
I just don't take shit from anyone! :mrgreen:
But you sure like to dish it out to people that did nothing to you, or even said anything to you. It certainly does nothing to endear others to you, and most certainly does not encourage people to want to be friends with you.

but I am way too polite..... :mrgreen:
Sure you are. :( That's why you call people names that you've never met or spoken with in any way, and pass judgement on them with third- or further-hand misinformation.

Luke, when you get a real tire on the back, you KNOW you're gunna wanna slap some wheelie bars on there, right? When you do, get a fire extinguisher aimed at your motor(s). No, not for a fire, I know you're not afraid of fire, think of it as 10 seconds of active cooling, it'll be the electric version of NOS, lol (and you can pass it off as safety equipment to the inspectors). Oh, and don't forget the drag chute, attached to the seat post, no less, lol. Those guy's at the paper haven't seen insane yet. Keep having fun man.

First of all, great work! Very inspiring stuff!

Doctorbass said:
Man.. that's like if i would meet Doc ( Christopher LLoyds) himself!!!! :shock:

That's awsome!!!

Btw.. you are certainly using that 5KW Golden motor over his specs right?

how is it?.. can you give us more details about the power, volt and Phase or battery amp you measured?

I know some alredy offered some for sale on the forum

Please give us more info about it!

Is it thisone? 10kW (
HPM-10KW%203D.jpg

or this one? :
HPM5000B-BLDC.jpg

Doc

If you don't mind, can you tell us more about the golden motors? I know yours was custom wound but Luke what's your take on the motor? Should we be using these now on for Etek replacements? To be specific, could you could clarify these points based on your experience with the golden motor? I don't want to come across as a information whore, but I believe that openly sharing knowledge like this can serve as a potent catalyst in the "e-bike revolution."

Cooling
. Did you use liquid cooling that's available? If so, what kind (oil, water)?
. How did the motor handle and cope with the race like environment? What did the temp at the end look like?

Power
. How did the efficiency look?
. How was the low end grunt?
. How much power do you think this motor could handle?
. What controller did you use with the motor and what controller do recommend with it?

Other
. Do you see any major/minor flaws with the motor in comparison to the Eteks?
. Did you have any major/minor problems with the motor during the event?

P.S 1# rules with trolls is...don't feed the trolls! :mrgreen:

Thanks dude!

The golden is OK. The path to get heat from the windings to the outside world is poor. After a few mins of hard running, the motor is only warm, then you let it sit a few mins, and it heat soaks into something that blisters your skin.

The function of the motor is fine and does what it claims.

The Kelly 120v 400amp controller works kinda/sorta OK. It had random glitches and would alarm and cut-off at WOT with it set above 85%. Yet the starting torque here was great (until it would cut out after 3-4 sec). When turned down until the high 70% area it wouldn't cut out, and the motor stayed quite a bit cooler but the starting torque was weak nothing close to an Agni 95r off the line.

Ended up smoking that Kelly last Friday. Internally its a 42fet with TO220 package 150v mosfets from infinion. Its kinda a garbage design IMHO.

Honestly, if you're looking for an etek improvement, go with an Agni 95r on around 100v. Set it up right and the brushes will last. From a controller / motor performance and cost perspective, the Agni has this golden beat handily, can handle much higher power, is much more efficient, and so much more simple to setup and run.

If you look at the first post in this thread, you can see the pile of sevcons.

They are a cool device, but so loaded with bloated setting crap and 40pages of needless maps and tables and crap, and even after spending a tomorrow time with them they still just fault and alarm.

The hardware is great. The software is just painfully over bloated for a non OEM to spend the months setting up.

So you truly think the agni is a better and more efficient motor? That is cool because it's actually smaller right? Or thinner at least? What kind of voltage and amperage do you need for the Agni?

Very interesting, thank you

I went through the Ripperton thread today; very good discussion going on. I am leaning towards the ME0913 for my personal build as it seems to have the most potential and the simplest of problems. I understand RIP's setbacks, but also after reading that thread, I think that brushless is far better than brushed... at least at that level of intensity IMO

He ran the thing at so much more than it was rated (like close to 100kw peak) and the thing still ran! I have never seen an Agni or especially a Perm take near that amount of power and run without the comm arcing and destroying everything (poor Voltron). But, he did fry a couple of those motors and the ones that were taking that much power were modded. But the problems he faced was just cooling which seemed like a much simpler problem than the arcing issue of the brushed Agnis. I'm also leaning towards the Mars because of the higher performance to price ratio.
Thread> http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/ripperton-electric-track-bike-41173.html?highlight=ME0913

You see pics in this thread of me test fitting an ME0913. They can't do the power an Agni can do, and they are much wider, and even with a $1400usd controller it couldn't match the Agni for power, (and then it quickly overheats, unlike the Agni that handles the power for much longer).

Its also way less efficient.

Having played with ME0913 and Agni quite a lot (maybe more dyno time with these 2 motors than anyone else in history?) , I would pick the Agni.

liveforphysics said:
Having played with ME0913 and Agni quite a lot (maybe more dyno time with these 2 motors than anyone else in history?) , I would pick the Agni.

Haha I guess I can't really argue with that :p

Nonetheless, the Agni is still out of my budget, so I will be going with the mars despite its disadvantages. Ordering about $3500 worth of stuff tommorow morning; #hopeidontmessup

liveforphysics said:
You see pics in this thread of me test fitting an ME0913. They can't do the power an Agni can do, and they are much wider, and even with a $1400usd controller it couldn't match the Agni for power, (and then it quickly overheats, unlike the Agni that handles the power for much longer).

Its also way less efficient.

Yup, I might well beat you on Agni Dyno hours (had free access too a dyno for over a year and 5 bikes to tune) but gave up and threw the Mars away after 3 attempts;) No surprise I'd pick the Agni, I've been loving them for years!

Steve

Apples- Just be aware you're intentionally giving yourself like half the power, endless battles with cooling, an expensive temprimental controller with PITA setup that will never work as well, and markedly lowered efficiency.

IMHO, I would call that a mistake, but if the brush phobia has got you bad enough (as it once had me), then you gotta learn on your own I guess.

Luke, maybe a thread for people wanting to do the Agnim that shows how to set one up well for good, efficient use? Also the best places to get one and its controller would be cool too, I for one would be interested!

Thanks Miles!

Hi Luke,

I just had a question for you because I don't know shit about making electric horsepower and I
have this continuing dream of building an MX bike that could beat a modern 450.

I was getting data about the Agni 95r motors and ran across this page on the
Mavizen website:

http://www.mavizen.com/build_your_own/parts.html

It looks like you could have 2 Angi motors and a 1200 amp 120 volt Kelly
controller that runs 2 motors. Would that setup beat a 450 motocrosser?

Based on the fact that one of these things can produce something like 25+hp with waay more torque than a comparable gassed, I have to believe it would kill the 450 with twins. BUT you need a ton of battery!

motomoto said:
Hi Luke,

I just had a question for you because I don't know shit about making electric horsepower and I
have this continuing dream of building an MX bike that could beat a modern 450.

I was getting data about the Agni 95r motors and ran across this page on the
Mavizen website:

http://www.mavizen.com/build_your_own/parts.html

It looks like you could have 2 Angi motors and a 1200 amp 120 volt Kelly
controller that runs 2 motors. Would that setup beat a 450 motocrosser?

An old member made a bike that, according to him, beat a 450 with a single agni! He removed all of build threads...but check out his bike on evalbum for inspiration and insight > http://www.evalbum.com/2824

I am talking about a real MX bike like this:

http://www.evdrive.com/emoto_project/moto_project.html

I guess this guy will do it. He is claiming 50 Kw out of the Gen 2 version.

Putting the motor on the swingarm, like the one in your link, is increasing unsprung weight. A big no no in motocross.

Here is the thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11568&p=176146&hilit=+450+motocross+#p176146

All it takes is 1 agni....I would still be curious if the the thing could be built light enough to hang with the real deal for a full lap around RedBud.

motomoto said:
I am talking about a real MX bike like this:

http://www.evdrive.com/emoto_project/moto_project.html

I guess this guy will do it. He is claiming 50 Kw out of the Gen 2 version.

Putting the motor on the swingarm, like the one in your link, is increasing unsprung weight. A big no no in motocross.

That is one bad ass build there! I would like to see the finished product!!

Back