Main battery to controller fuse suggestions

NeilP

1 GW
Any one got any suggestions as to a type or design of fuse and fuse holder for my build.

72 volt with Lyen 18 FET controller 65 amp max current.

Are fuses used ? I would have thought one was a very good idea, but no idea what types are available...
inline or panel mounted
quick or slow blow
What sort of blow rating for a 65 amp controller

Thanks

On my 48V NiMH setup, I have a fuse between each half of each 24V NiMH pack. The fuses are 30A, yet I routinely draw peaks of 40-50A without popping them, momentarily. Steadily drawing upwards of 30A for a few seconds on hard accelerations, but drops quickly to 15-20A then very rapidly to <10A.

So maybe size your fuse for just under the max amps you might draw for an instant or two, but above what you routinely draw for seconds at at ime or longer. Size it for quite a bit under what you want it to pop at, if you want it to pop instantly once that's reached.

Use a fuse rated for teh voltage you will use it at (or higher) so it actually blows, and doesnt' just arc across during an "event" instead of cutting the circuit. ;)

OK, thanks
what sort of design are they. , thinking of in line or mounted holder type..what is best if there is any difference. I am still trying to build the battery box/holder.

Am making a box for the trinagle, and was thinking of a canvas bag inside, with a top section to hold the tppacks LVC parallel board. So I could mount something on one of the inside sections of the box, or an inline fuse in the bag...thinking.. :idea: .I suppose if I used an inline holder....I could also use that as the connection to remove the pack from the bike...one less connection to worry about.

my usual supplier on an initial search does not show anything in that sort of range...IE greater than 30 amps...nothing suitable

http://export.rsdelivers.com/catalogue/search.aspx?query=inline%20fuse%20holder

something like this in panel mount maybe

http://export.rsdelivers.com/product/littelfuse/04980900zxt/fuseholder-bf1/5489183.aspx

Found these online...good for 100 amps nd at a supplier that will ship today...an un expected good result :p I had expected another long running saga

http://www.technobotsonline.com/maxi-blade-fuse-holder-30430.html

Ext-1310-004.jpg

That is the same type that I have, though I think mine is the ones you see on ebikes.ca (they came with the packs, from Ianmcnally). Mine are probably physically smaller than yours, as I know they won't fit the 80A blade fuse I have out of a UPS in there (they're only about 2/3 the width of the fuse).

I do not know what the voltage rating is on these, though. Even the 80A fuse from UPS is only used at 48V (4x 12V SLA).

Note that like most moisture-resistant fuse holders, they wont' actually keep water out, like if it rains. ;) If the only water on them is running down from the top (wider cap) toward the wires, then draining down from the wires, it's a good chance it'll stay out. But those conditions only happen in still air with no vibration/etc., so on a working bike in use it's unlikely to stay out of there completely. If it does get wet on the outside, best thing to do is open the cap and remove the fuse to let it all dry out as soon as you get where you're going. :)

Well if all goes to plan the batteries will be in a canvas bag, with the LVC/parallel board in the top section of the bag, and the the whole lot within a stainless steel box filling the complete frame triangle, so the fuses, controller, switch gear etc should all be within the triangle box.

The place I found those maxi blade fuse holders do a big range of fuses too:

http://www.technobotsonline.com/fuses-and-fuse-holders/automotive-fuses/maxi-automotive-fuses.html

on my 48V ping , i have a 32V 40A fuse inline between the battery pos and the controller.
just to protect against dead shorts somewhere between the two. im running a 20A controller,
so should never see anywhere near the 40A load under normal conditions.

i spoke to a friend who's a qualified electrician, and he said the 32V fuse would be fine at 48V.

Jason.

Thats good to know, thanks
I ordered a selection of fuses any how...from 40 amp up to 90, so i am well covered. I got 4 of the holders as well, so I can fuse different parts separately

Back