My Electric Push Trailer

s_t

10 mW
In an ealier thread I said I'd document the push trailer I've built, and this is it. :)

I wanted a push trailer as it is moveable between bikes and easily disconnectable. Its main purpose is to assist in commuting to work, a 24km trip each way (48km per day).

I got inspiration for my design from the extrawheel, which looks like a great product. http://www.extrawheel.com

First of all, I was dead set on having the attachment point at the rear axle, not the seatpost. Too much force trying to push the bike over when going around a corner under braking or motor power if hooked up at the seatpost. After some stuffing around I decided to use bob trailer skewers - it wasn't worth the hassle making my own. I make my own forks to attach to the skewers though.

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

Frame of the trailer is made of some scrap angle iron I got from work. Originally I just used the angle section, but it wasn't stiff enough so I had to weld more on and turn most of it to rectangular box section.

For the pivot point I just used the fork and headtube from an old kids bike.

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

You can see a set of wheel dropouts half way along in the last photo above. I originally had the trailer very short - as per the extrawheel - but I had problems with stability. The trailer would develop uncontrollable wobbles. Changing the frame to box (as mentioned already) greatly helped (increased stiffness), but the problem was still present. I think the problem was due to the pivot point being almost exactly mid way between the trailer and rear bike wheels. Kinda formed a standing wave pattern, that when started, tended to feed itself rather than die down.

I decided to move the trailer wheel back, and as I was going to do that might as well move it far enough to put the battery in front of the wheel, instead of hanging off beside the wheel like originally planned.

Battery box is an ammo tin with some strategically placed foam.

DSCF0038.jpg

I'm using a Ping 36V 15Ahr battery. I wanted it in a form that is protected from mechanical damage, whilst still easy to carry (charging at work). I spent some time considering and looking at possible cases etc until one day I noticed a 5L green fuel can. I had seen red ones and stuff before, but when I saw the green one I couldn't resist. Green energy!

Foam on the sides and bottom, with a little breathing room above. Sealed back up with hot glue (surprising strong).

It works and looks perfect! 8) 8) :mrgreen:

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

My motor, geared brushless no freewheel, along with some initial problems, is detailed here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9891
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14988

Controller is a 350W ecrazyman.

Overall the trailer turned out a lot longer, heavier and more cumbersome than I had originally planned. Despite this it works very well and is easy and stable to ride. Without the pannier it was a little jumpy/skippy on rough roads, and the drive tyre was wearing very quickly. The small amount of extra weight (which I hated having on my back anyway) seems to really keep it on the road and it doesn't skip now unless riding over a really rough section. 26" trailer wheel means it rolls easily and has common spares with the bike.

I've ridden to work about 15 days now - which would be over 700kms. The ping battery has been flawless. I think it is less than half discharged on arrival at work based on charging time. The original charging connector on the battery broke due to bouncing around, so I've zip tied the replacement to keep it still. Still got to put on a decent main battery connector.

The geared hub motor without a freewheel is a real pain - slowing me down hills. Flat road top speed is 27km/hr (no pedalling), and pedalling above that doesn't help much (no freewheel). Travel time is now 1hr each way, whereas it was 1hr 5mins going in and 1hr 10mins coming home. My effort is a lot less though. I would like to put on a faster motor, with freewheel.

It's an interesting looking rig, and gets heaps of stares! :mrgreen:

2010-02-20_008.jpg

2010-02-20_007.jpg

2010-02-20_006.jpg

2010-02-20_005.jpg

2010-02-20_004.jpg

2010-02-20_001.jpg

Great project. s_t. Several clever solutions that may be helpful to others. Hope you don't mind, but I added this to a push-trailer thread to consolidate ideas for these into one pile. Now that you've ridden it for a while, are there any changes you'd like to make? (except of course, for the previously mentioned higher speed and freewheeling hub)...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9855

Nice job and you got the pivot axis angle right, leaned just slightly forward. +1 for your use of the steering head bearing.

You're not the first to have problems with a short trailer. I wonder if a suspension would help the shorties' behavior.

spinningmagnets said:
Great project. s_t. Several clever solutions that may be helpful to others. Hope you don't mind, but I added this to a push-trailer thread to consolidate ideas for these into one pile. Now that you've ridden it for a while, are there any changes you'd like to make? (except of course, for the previously mentioned higher speed and freewheeling hub)...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9855

No problem. I notice you've called the green battery housing a 'jug', so just in case there is confusion you would probably call it a gasoline container in the US? Over here (and probably there) the green is meant to indicate 2 stroke fuel/gas - to most people anyway :wink:

The overall weight is a lot higher than I'd like. Can't tell you what exactly - probably around 10kg just for the frame. That is partly a result of the build process - starting with heavy duty angle and then boxing it. If I knew I was going to have stiffness problems I would have started with a smaller tube which would have been better and a lot lighter.
At the current weight I'm at a significant disadvantage compared with just sticking the drive wheel directly in the bike.

You're not the first to have problems with a short trailer. I wonder if a suspension would help the shorties' behavior.

I think it would make it worse. One thing I noticed (before lengthening) is that tyre pressure played an important role in the stability. Lower tyre pressures on the bike rear and trailer tyre meant more room for sidemovement and hence worse stability. It was a side to side wobbling, not up and down, so I think a shock would only reduce side to side stiffness of the overall system. It occured with and without the battery. I doubt I had to increase the length nearly as much as I did, but I didn't feel like doing several iterations to find the minimum and the battery fits perfectly in the middle.

s_t, are you in the UK? if yes, what would the term "jug" normally refer to over there? (I couldn't help but to be curious)

At work (here in the USA) Blue cans are for water, red is gasoline, and diesel is yellow...although I have also seen many diesel cans that are red. Oddly, I don't know of any common color codes here for 2-stroke fuel.

To me a jug is an open-topped container you put drinking stuff in - water, juice etc - and used for serving out into glasses/cups/mugs. Usually around 1 to 2L :D I'm Australian.

Never heard of it being used regarding fuel containers, but it seems you just have a wider interpretation: jug = container for liquid.

Back