Nanjing far driver controllers

j bjork said:
How do you communicate with the controller now, by wire and computer?

Right now I just don't. I only have the bluetooth dongle, the controller either comees with a cable or a bluetooth dongle.
So basically right now I can't do anything, but at least I can ride the bike with the current settings.

j bjork said:
I mean, I suppose you had to do a self learn and set it up like you want it after the update?

I did the self learning and programming before I updated the firmware, when it was still using the old firmware. I guess the parameters were still in memory somehow, it worked just the same after the update, only that the throttle lag was gone.

j bjork said:
Do you know the name of your old and new firmware?

I have no information about the old firmware. No idea where to see its version or anything, I haven't seen it anywhere in the app, but maybe I missed something. I still have screenshots of the old version so if you know where to look just point it out and I'll see if I have the info.

The name of the file on the firmware they gave me was my controller's full model number. Which might or might not be a problem for a potential file sharing, I really don't know... I hope that the model number isn't hard coded in the firmware in a way that wouldnt' allow it to work on an unit that hasn't the exact same model number. There is no way for me to know that, so if I share the file please be aware that using it could be risky and potentially brick the controller...
High risk, high reward? :roll:

Dui said:
j bjork said:
How do you communicate with the controller now, by wire and computer?

Right now I just don't. I only have the bluetooth dongle, the controller either comees with a cable or a bluetooth dongle.
So basically right now I can't do anything, but at least I can ride the bike with the current settings.

I had the same problem after updating the firmware of my ND96850, after a few tries with disconnecting the Fardriver from the battery , I could get the bluetooth to work again.

dominik h said:
I had the same problem after updating the firmware of my ND96850, after a few tries with disconnecting the Fardriver from the battery , I could get the bluetooth to work again.

Interesting, I'll try that this evening, thank you Dominik!

You dont need a special dongle to connect to the computer either, I use just some simple usb to rx/tx adapter.
I think all I had to do was change the speed to the same as the computer program says in the driver settings.

I dont know if this is the version:

bwX3OCn.jpg

The "ND961800_63_ARA05" ?

dominik h said:

I just gave it a try and it didn't work for me, I guess we might be both having a different problem: I can actually see the bluetooth device in the app and I can connect to it. But then the bluetooth dongle doesn't manage to communicate with the controller, so I'm connected but I receive no frame. I bet it's something stupid like a different baud raute or something like that, but I have no way to modify that setting directly on the dongle itself.
Anyway I'll just wait for a new "old version" dongle to arrive in the mail, hopefully this weekend.

j bjork said:
You dont need a special dongle to connect to the computer either, I use just some simple usb to rx/tx adapter.

I don't have one, unfortunately. I didn't think it'd worth it because many people said the computer programming software sucked. :lol:

j bjork said:
I dont know if this is the version:

The "ND961800_63_ARA05" ?

Mine originally said ND841800_63_HRA25
The name of the new firmware file they sent me was ND841800_63_ARG15

No idea what this means. Originally my controller is supposed to be a track version, so it should be able to get to 1300A battery instead of only 800. I'll see if I'm still capable of inputing 1300 after the update or if the new firmware is maybe for a regular version of the controller.

@other people, if you could post your model code here and state your controller model and max current it might help understand if there is a pattern we could understand in this code, thanks

j bjork said:
I think all I had to do was change the speed to the same as the computer program says in the driver settings.

That would seem to work well with the baud rate theory, interesting.
Maybe they set it a bit higher on newer versions to get better refresh rates in the app? Can't see any good reason really.
It's a bit annoying because whoever has a recent bluetooth dongle and experiences unsolvable throttle lag would then need to get his hands on an older one to get the firmware fix. Or use the cable. Kinda lame but at least if it works many of us could probably live with it just fine .

Great news today: I received the bluetooth dongle and finally, everything works!

I had no issue to connect, I was able to change many parameters, to save them and to try them on the road successfully.
The throttle lag is gone, the slide regen works, I tried the different throttle response styles and they worked, different phase and battery amps, well everything's fine!

So problem solved, now the new challenge will be to slowly increase the power without blowing up the motor, but that's a story for another thread :wink:

I'll share the firmware I got to you guys on Monday since I don't have my phone's cable here.
Super happy I got it sorted, I was a bit afraid it wouldn't work. Kudos to the seller of the motor who did a good job at trying to solve my issue :thumb:

Dui said:
... the new challenge will be to slowly increase the power without blowing up the motor
How do you know when you reach the limit of the motor?

I want to measure the acceleration with a 10Hz GPS system and hope to find out when more current does not produce more tourque and only produces more heat.
I will also ad a temperature sensor to the motor windings.

The reply I got was to do the self learn again, and make sure there is no load.
I took the chain and sprocket off, so there was only the shaft on the motor and did the self learn.
I couldn't see much of a change in the phone app. LD, LQ and FAIF was unchanged, the "rated speed" went up a little(10-20rpm) and I saw small changes in calibration. But those calibration numbers seem to change a little from time to time .

But it actually helped, the throttle feel improved and the delay went away :)
Funny you mention slide regen. That also improved for me, earlier there was sometimes a quite bad delay when I used the throttle again after a release. That improved, but it can still be a little delay when I use the throttle again.

dominik h said:
How do you know when you reach the limit of the motor?

Lol unfortunately I don't have any answer for that. My motor is a 16'' 3000W QS hub motor so I expect it to take a serious beating.
I don't have a temp sensor to monitor it so the only thing I can do to monitor the heat is to touch the phase wires from time to time to make sure they don't heat too much while praying the electric gods to bless my motor. :lol:

dominik h said:
I want to measure the acceleration with a 10Hz GPS system and hope to find out when more current does not produce more tourque and only produces more heat.
I will also ad a temperature sensor to the motor windings.

Seems like a good idea, though most of the apps I've tried yet were a bit too imprecise to do that. But maybe the apps are better now.
I wonder how the pros here do it.

j bjork said:
But it actually helped, the throttle feel improved and the delay went away :)

Cool! Only on the bench or did you try it under load too?

j bjork said:
I tried under load :)
I guess you still dont read my build thread, there is a lot more controller talk there.

Cool, good news then!
I did read your YZ250F thread last week, but it was before this update apparently. I can't say I read every threads everytime there is an update, the forum is huge :wink: :lol:

In your thread you say that the delay is "almost" gone and you still have delays at regen and after re applying throttle. That's not supposed to happen, and personnally I wouldn't be satisfied with that (but if you are then it's perfect, it's your build so what matters is what you like! 8) )

Anyway, as promised, here is the firmware that solved my problems.
IMPORTANT: I cannot guarantee that this firmware can be installed on any controller other than mine. I dont know if there is some kind of serial number check in it and I don't know if this can work on slightly different controllers (different voltages, power ratings or whatever).
If I had to guess, I think it should work on most NDXX1800 controllers (only hall sensored versions, this firmware should not work if you are using the encoder versions), but that's really just a personal guess. I sure hope it works though.

So what I mean is, whoever tries it on his controller does it at his own risk. A bad firmware can potentially brick your controller. So try that if this is your only last hope :lol:

Also remember, this firmware is likely to interfere with the bluetooth module proper working, so either get yourselves an older version of the bluetooth dongle, or get the PC cable (haven't tested the PC cable myself since I don't have one, but it should work). If you don't have any of those but wish to try the update before investing on these, I suggest you first set up everything in the settings as you wish using your current firmware, including the self learning procedure, save the parameters, and only then make the firmware update (it will remember the parameters you entered before. This way even if you don't have the bluetooth working you can still run the bike while waiting for a new dongle or cable to arrive).

Here's the file:
View attachment ND841800_63_ARG15.rar

I sincerely hope this will solve someone's problem.

Dui said:
In your thread you say that the delay is "almost" gone and you still have delays at regen and after re applying throttle. That's not supposed to happen, and personnally I wouldn't be satisfied with that (but if you are then it's perfect, it's your build so what matters is what you like! 8) )

I still evaluate the result, so I am a little careful with saying everything is perfect or not.
I believe I said something like it is gone, or at least almost gone.

I think I have still felt a little delay after throttle release a few times when I have had lower than max throttle rate, but I think I need to try it more to make sure and get a feel for how it works.

The regen on throttle release still has a delay sometimes when I apply throttle again after a release. It was pretty bad before, and is a lot better now.
So you dont have that at all? (And how about other users? I know Dougf have the same problem, but havent heard it from anyone else i think.)

I havent tried it very much yet though, I am still testing throttle feel on the track during real riding.
When out and just trying to feel how the throttle reacts I feel I dont get the whole picture, it is better to try under normal riding.

I dont think I dare try your file, if you had a 1081800 I would sure be tempted hoping I would get those voltage limits :wink:

j bjork said:
The regen on throttle release still has a delay sometimes when I apply throttle again after a release. It was pretty bad before, and is a lot better now.
So you dont have that at all? (And how about other users? I know Dougf have the same problem, but havent heard it from anyone else i think.)

Not anymore ! :D :D :D
I just come back from 1 and a half hours of running the bike and it's super sweet, comparable to my good ol' sabvoton. Nothing to complain anymore, except may be that the bluetooth isn't super stable, it disconnect very often. But I don't really care about that.

j bjork said:
I dont think I dare try your file, if you had a 1081800 I would sure be tempted hoping I would get those voltage limits :wink:

Totally understand, I wouldn't do it either if I were you. :lol:
But you should probably try to ask the company that sold your controller, they should be able to provide you a fix just like mine did. :wink:
It's very easy for them to ask the factory, and it's actually their job

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for your feedback and input.

I am currently running the following setup,
72v 32ah 100a BMS battery
Sabvoton SVMC72100 100a
NB Power 50000w 3T brushless hub motor

I purchase a ND84530 to test with this setup.
After installing the Far Driver I was able to connect via Bluetooth to the iOS app. However I’m experiencing a few errors.

Errors
1. Motor Hall Error
7. Motor Temp Protect
14. MOSFET Low Side Error

**Update**
Reconnected connections and cleared 1 and 14. Set Temp Sensor value to 0-None and no more errors. Wiring harness off of hub motor does have white temp sensor, not sure why it’s not being recognized or what value to set Teml Sensor to. Ran set Rated Voltage to 72c and ran Auto Learn. All good now.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Dui said:
j bjork said:

Not anymore ! :D :D :D
I just come back from 1 and a half hours of running the bike and it's super sweet, comparable to my good ol' sabvoton. Nothing to complain anymore, except may be that the bluetooth isn't super stable, it disconnect very often. But I don't really care about that.

j bjork said:

Totally understand, I wouldn't do it either if I were you. :lol:
But you should probably try to ask the company that sold your controller, they should be able to provide you a fix just like mine did. :wink:
It's very easy for them to ask the factory, and it's actually their job

I am also back from testing at the track:

The throttle release regen still dosent work, going from throttle "off" to "on" is terrible with delay and unpredictable power on.

The throttle control is pretty good in "linear", throttle rate 224 and I think I need to be in high too. There can be a slight delay in throttle release at high power, I felt a little when I accelerated hard and leaning forward and still got a power wheelie.
When I let go I could feel a very slight delay.

It is powerful, but a little lame in character in linear throttle. In sport and 224 in throttle rate it is too aggressive, so I tried 128 in throttle rate. Aggressive with a delay :?

What settings do you use Dui?

I am in contact with siaecosys were I bought the controller, and I got the reply to try self learn again. It helped a lot, but not enough. I am in the process now to try to get a better solution.

Right now my settings are these:
Screenshot_20220727_193546_com.Niuding.MotorNet6.jpg
Screenshot_20220727_193551_com.Niuding.MotorNet6.jpgScreenshot_20220727_193554_com.Niuding.MotorNet6.jpgScreenshot_20220727_193559_com.Niuding.MotorNet6.jpg

As you can see my settings are super basic, the problem isn't there.
I've disabled the slide regen right now, but it'll be back on after I finish the fine tuning. I used it for a few hours and it worked fine.
Everything works well aside from the bluetooth which is quite unstable.

I think Syaecosis needs to give you a firmware update. It's not difficult for them to just ask the factory, it takes only a few emails, plus the factory seem to be aware of these issues so they know how to fix it. It took my supplier less than 24 hours to get the .hex file.
I might be wrong of course, but I feel like doing dozens of self learns won't fix the problem, unfortunately. :(

I see that your app looks different than mine, but the settings seem to be the same.
But your controller identifies itself as a 721800, did that happen after the firmware change?
Your voltage limits seem right for an 84v controller though.

Interesting with your ratios in speed in 125rpm steps, did that came with the 16 polepars setting?
I have 500rpm steps.
Sport and 224 throttle rate, mine get super touchy on the throttle with that.. But then I am at 1800pA and about 7:1 gearing, that probably dosent help.

Yes, I dont think doing the self learn a bunch of times will solve it either.
But It sure did help the first time, so there was something there.
So I think it is worth trying at least as they ask for it.

They think my phase offset looks wrong, but it dosent seem to change.
I have an early motor with hall sensors, the newer ones have encoder.
So their numbers are probably for the newer version.

j bjork said:
I see that your app looks different than mine, but the settings seem to be the same.
But your controller identifies itself as a 721800, did that happen after the firmware change?

I've noticed it changes automagically whenever you change the "Rated voltage" parameter in the app.
If I set 84V in rated voltage then the "Model Type" parameter will display ND841800.

j bjork said:
Interesting with your ratios in speed in 125rpm steps, did that came with the 16 polepars setting?

Yeah I think so. It depends on the erpm of the motor.
For an inrunner it would typically be much higher.

j bjork said:
I have an early motor with hall sensors, the newer ones have encoder.
So their numbers are probably for the newer version.

The encoder versions are very different, they don't have the same wiring loom. Hall sensors and encoder aren't compatible, your motor couldn't spin at all if you had an encoder version of the controller.

Dui said:
j bjork said:
I tried under load :)
I guess you still dont read my build thread, there is a lot more controller talk there.

Cool, good news then!
I did read your YZ250F thread last week, but it was before this update apparently. I can't say I read every threads everytime there is an update, the forum is huge :wink: :lol:

Anyway, as promised, here is the firmware that solved my problems.
IMPORTANT: I cannot guarantee that this firmware can be installed on any controller other than mine. I dont know if there is some kind of serial number check in it and I don't know if this can work on slightly different controllers (different voltages, power ratings or whatever).
If I had to guess, I think it should work on most NDXX1800 controllers (only hall sensored versions, this firmware should not work if you are using the encoder versions), but that's really just a personal guess. I sure hope it works though.

So what I mean is, whoever tries it on his controller does it at his own risk. A bad firmware can potentially brick your controller. So try that if this is your only last hope :lol:

Also remember, this firmware is likely to interfere with the bluetooth module proper working, so either get yourselves an older version of the bluetooth dongle, or get the PC cable (haven't tested the PC cable myself since I don't have one, but it should work). If you don't have any of those but wish to try the update before investing on these, I suggest you first set up everything in the settings as you wish using your current firmware, including the self learning procedure, save the parameters, and only then make the firmware update (it will remember the parameters you entered before. This way even if you don't have the bluetooth working you can still run the bike while waiting for a new dongle or cable to arrive).

Here's the file:
ND841800_63_ARG15.rar

I sincerely hope this will solve someone's problem.

Hi how are you? I also have a Fardriver but its with the older style dongle(red and white) Is this the correct firmware that most of you are using now? Does it fix the throttle issue?
The files is so a .hex file not an .apk
Thanks!

ebike11 said:
I also have a Fardriver but its with the older style dongle(red and white) Is this the correct firmware that most of you are using now?

This is the one that fixed the throttle issue on my controller. But I really have no idea if it can work on any other controller than mine...
I've put it there in case someone is brave/crazy enough to try it on his/her controller, so be very aware of that if you plan on trying it...

ebike11 said:
Does it fix the throttle issue?

In my case it did.
I suggest you to first contact whoever sold you the controller and ask him for a new firmware file. Then if you have no other hope maybe try this one.
But don't try this one first before at least trying to get it from your seller, that could be a costly mistake :wink:

ebike11 said:
with the older style dongle(red and white) Is this the correct firmware that most of you are using now? Does it fix the throttle issue?
Thanks!

I suppose if you already have the older style dongle you have an older firmware already.
What is your current firmware?
And you do have the throttle delay issue?

(I dont know if the firmware Dui got is older than the one he begun with, but as he needed an older dongle I assume it is)

j bjork said:
ebike11 said:
with the older style dongle(red and white) Is this the correct firmware that most of you are using now? Does it fix the throttle issue?
Thanks!

I suppose if you already have the older style dongle you have an older firmware already.
What is your current firmware?
And you do have the throttle delay issue?

(I dont know if the firmware Dui got is older than the one he begun with, but as he needed an older dongle I assume it is)

Hi
I am using 1.5.4 version with older type dongle..co troller is 961800 model

ebike11 said:
Hi guys!
There is a 2 wire connector with wires called Cruise and Boost.
There is also another 3 speed connector with high and low speed.

So what would Boost actually do and what do you connect it to? Thanks

Just got my controller. Trying to wire everything up. For the 3 speed connector do I supply the high and low with 12 volts?

jcovaltine said:
Just got my controller. Trying to wire everything up. For the 3 speed connector do I supply the high and low with 12 volts?

Most controllers I've seen (no direct experience with NFD) have three wires on a three speed connector. Ground, High, and Low. No connection between them is Medium, grounding either of the others one at a time activates that mode.

amberwolf said:
jcovaltine said:

Most controllers I've seen (no direct experience with NFD) have three wires on a three speed connector. Ground, High, and Low. No connection between them is Medium, grounding either of the others one at a time activates that mode.

Thank you!! Glad I asked. I have an Onyx RCR based on the wire schematic they don’t ground either the low or low they supply 12 volts to either the high or low to trigger it. That could have ended badly.

Back