new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

gman1971 said:
Wow!!! Good find man, I might take one for myself as well. :) Thanks!! The only thing to watch out for is that chainring is made out of Aluminum and not Steel, so that might lead to premature chain wear, again, something to watch out for... but I still think you should get it.

So I would do a 48 to 14T drive cog, then a 54T to cassette, and if you go with the 54T perhaps you want to also use a 32T on the inside as a two shift chainring? 54 might not be suitable for steep climbs on pedal power alone...

G.

I think I am going to look at all your cyclone posts and stand on the shoulder of giants instead of trial and error

GIGATT said:
gman1971 said:
Wow!!! Good find man, I might take one for myself as well. :) Thanks!! The only thing to watch out for is that chainring is made out of Aluminum and not Steel, so that might lead to premature chain wear, again, something to watch out for... but I still think you should get it.

So I would do a 48 to 14T drive cog, then a 54T to cassette, and if you go with the 54T perhaps you want to also use a 32T on the inside as a two shift chainring? 54 might not be suitable for steep climbs on pedal power alone...

G.

I think I am going to look at all your cyclone posts and stand on the shoulder of giants instead of trial and error

LOL, at 5'8 I am hardly a giant, but thanks! :) Feel free to drop questions here, other guys are quite experienced messing with this kit as well, also you can PM me. Cheers!

G.

robocam said:
Unfortunately, I don't think my bike is the culprit. One of the bolts on the Cyclone are bent. I've attached a photo. Even with the washers, the bolt bent, AND the aluminum square is deformed. See how the washers smashed the aluminum block while the bolt at the bottom is no longer parallel with the bolt at the top? I'm going to need a whole new mounting kit.

If you change to a single speed, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a mid drive?

juanfeli said:
I think that I found the cause of the flex. The PFBB adapter was broken.

I'll install a solid metal adapter in that bike and leave it in standby, hopefully one day I'll put on it a Tangent drive. Or maybe I'll sell the bike here on the cheap for an ES member who want to pursue that project,

Mean the time, I'll be using the kit with an old trials bike. So far single speed 13t-32 front 44-18 rear, as that was what I had at hand.

I'll post here how it behaves with (or without) a 3 speed switch. If I don't like it. I'll try with a 2x1 speed (Cyclone triple chainring, or similar heavy duty from Sick Bike P)

I took it for a short spin and I'm pretty exited about it. Of course it jerky, but it is also a trails bike. So it mus have some place to use it with lots of fun.

I'm looking forward to see how far I can go tuning a Cyclone 3000 as single speed.

Hey guys
Are these silver block spacers included with the motor or custom made by a member? I dont see anything like that with my 3000 cyclone. Nothing on the motor or in the packaging.

Also i see a lot about people trying to stregnthen their brackets etc.
Would strengthening the motor be necessary if you arent shifting at hardly all and keeping the chain on the same cog? I guess it depends on the riding type. For offroading i assume youd need many gears but I only ride on pavement in the city. I got plenty of torque when just in one gear. I found the sweetspot so i really dont need to shift at all. The 60A of the controller and 72V pack gets me to top speed faster in the single chain position than going through all the gears

Would there still be flext issues in my situation? At the mome t everything is tight but then again im in the very early stages.
Thanks!

ebike11 said:
Hey guys
Are these silver block spacers included with the motor or custom made by a member? I dont see anything like that with my 3000 cyclone. Nothing on the motor or in the packaging.

Thanks!

They should come with any Cyclone 3000W mount kit. They come with ours (Sick Bike Parts). (they are not necessary and not supplied with the 1680W kit)

Pablo said:
ebike11 said:
Hey guys

Thanks!

They should come with any Cyclone 3000W mount kit. They come with ours (Sick Bike Parts). (they are not necessary and not supplied with the 1680W kit)

I got the 3000w from cyclone website directly.....are you with Sick bike parts Pablo?

ebike11 said:
Pablo said:
ebike11 said:
Hey guys

Thanks!

I got the 3000w from cyclone website directly.....are you with Sick bike parts Pablo?

Maybe Paco shipped the wrong mount kit. Look at the pics of the two kits here:

http://sickbikeparts.com/3000w-electric-large-motor-bottom-bracket-mount-kit/

http://sickbikeparts.com/1680w-electric-motor-bottom-bracket-mount-kit/

Yes my old work buddy and I founded the company in 2008. We are equal partners.

Hi
Yes i didnt get the little square metal spacers maybe he forgot. I got everything else. Are those possible to get seperately?

ebike11 said:
Hi
Yes i didnt get the little square metal spacers maybe he forgot. I got everything else. Are those possible to get seperately?

Probably just email him. I don't have any just laying on the bench unfortunately. Ours are all made into kits and we are low on kits!

ebike11 said:
Hey guys

Also i see a lot about people trying to stregnthen their brackets etc.
Would strengthening the motor be necessary if you arent shifting at hardly all and keeping the chain on the same cog? I guess it depends on the riding type. For offroading i assume youd need many gears but I only ride on pavement in the city. I got plenty of torque when just in one gear. I found the sweetspot so i really dont need to shift at all. The 60A of the controller and 72V pack gets me to top speed faster in the single chain position than going through all the gears

Would there still be flext issues in my situation? At the mome t everything is tight but then again im in the very early stages.
Thanks!
Here's how latest "new design" mounts look like:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=212430

In my experience, there's no need to reinforce these.

Pablo said:
ebike11 said:
Hi

Probably just email him. I don't have any just laying on the bench unfortunately. Ours are all made into kits and we are low on kits!

No problem...i might make an order in the near future for your heavy duty freewheel.
In your experience how long do you think the cyclone freewheel will last with the ISIS BB and 3chainring setup? Im assuming not too long since is only 10 or 15 dollars

ebike11 said:
Pablo said:
ebike11 said:
Hi

No problem...i might make an order in the near future for your heavy duty freewheel.
In your experience how long do you think the cyclone freewheel will last with the ISIS BB and 3chainring setup? Im assuming not too long since is only 10 or 15 dollars

Amazingly long in SOME cases. If the bearings are smooth and round, races cleaned and lubed, they can last with some side load. Any of those can easily cause infant mortality.

I havent even driven it 5km yet, not sure where you got the 250km number from.

Kept my 7/8/9 spd KMC chain and just took out one link, can not use that special "link" that snaps in because now its female to male, not male to male (link) its pretty tight, just need 1/8" to 1/4" slack taken out by the tensioner. Going for a test run to see how it runs without tensioner. Its a new chain so there will be more slack later for sure.

Here is a picture.
View attachment 1

Works like a charm, with no tensioner!
I'm wondering if I really need to implement the tensioner at all to take out the very minimal slack.
Did a couple hills from a stand still and it climbed perfectly with readout at ~40V (36V battery) with 370'ish lbs of body weight.
When I twist full throttle the delay is annoying, but I can get used to it.
I haven't been able to get into the controller via Bluetooth yet.
Top speed with 36V battery felt ok, I think 48V will be the sweet spot however I have 18V modules so I will be going to 54Vnom / 62Vmax which I think will be great for faster hill climbs.

Broke my first chain, on the test run. Right where I used the chain breaker too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Ride went smoothly until the last bit, my rear cassette is frocked. There is so much torque its amazing, when I click the rear gear to go faster the cassette skips. The last bit home, the chain went too far into the rear wheel and got caught up pretty good in the space there in behind the cassette and the hub itself. Most likely due to the torque forcing the wheel that way. I can see the wheel itself move.

There is this one absolute frocking bitch of a hill, I should have taken a picture of it, but I got 1/6th up it from a stand still at the base with no pedaling on 36V. I tried it again with very minimal run up speed, and pedaling; I got up it. My guess is its doing 2000W ~60A(if thats the default Cyclone TW sends with C4kw) at 38V, so if I bump up to 60V should be a cool 3600W and faster hill climb. Cant do 72V yet, but I think thats the goal for this setup, 72V x 60A = 4320W. Plus I wont be WOT as I am with 36V causing me to drastically reduce my over all distance traveled on a full charge. 72V I should be using 1/3 to 1/2 throttle all the time, and hopefully I get more distance out of my pack with same Ah as 36V Ah.

partial throttle with that kind of power (72V) will probably melt the motor. You want as many RPM as you can get. You need higher gearing before you add more power.

G.

gman1971 said:
partial throttle with that kind of power (72V) will probably melt the motor. You want as many RPM as you can get. You need higher gearing before you add more power.

G.

Hey Gman..i ordered the 52T chainring so ill let you know the results compared to 44T
So are you saying if you run 72V that you shouldnt go 1/3 throttle and should keep the throttle and speed high most of the time?

ebike11 said:
gman1971 said:

G.

Hey Gman..i ordered the 52T chainring so ill let you know the results compared to 44T
So are you saying if you run 72V that you shouldnt go 1/3 throttle and should keep the throttle and speed high most of the time?

1/3 throttle is OK as long as the motor is spinning somewhere above around 60-75% of MAX RPM. Basically, just because the motor is strong enough to pull you, doesn't mean it's happy about it. Motors live to spin, gear appropriately.

ebike11 said:
gman1971 said:

G.

Nice, yes, I would expect a good improvement in top end for the low gears, which will make you not have to use the small cogs in the cassette which is what you want to avoid. :)

Speed high as in keep the motor RPMs high.

Yes, don't hold 1/3 throttle when climbing under a heavy load. At low RPM the motor is nothing but a space heater, so if you don't let it spin to counter the current flowing through the coils, the only thing standing in the current's way is the internal resistance and you know how space heaters work... they get HOT. So, for climbing you should always be in a low gear, and ideally spinning the motor at nearly its max RPM, if possible, of course. (The same way you don't start your car uphill in 5th gear)

Partial throttle operation in certain cases can be really hard on controllers as well, since the massive amount of current has to be switched back and forth.

So, when possible use the gearing to control your speed, not the throttle, which makes for a fantastic cruise control. :)

G.

Obviously you want high rpm's when climbing!
I was thinking of cruising on flats its alright to use 1/3 throttle right? To save battery capacity (Ah)

I find when I am in a small rear cog, the front-side of the rear wheel tends to deflect away from cassette side, which mis-aligns the rear cogs engaging the chain, which is the newest problem I am having on my 26" wheel Townie. However when I am in the bigger cogs say 1/2 up the stack, there is no problem. The deflection is very noticeable from a stand still.

Not getting nearly the same distance out of this cyclone then my 9C clone, because I think the throttle is always cranked. So gearing is next.

markz said:
I was thinking of cruising on flats its alright to use 1/3 throttle right? To save battery capacity (Ah)

I find when I am in a small rear cog, the front-side of the rear wheel tends to deflect away from cassette side, which mis-aligns the rear cogs engaging the chain, which is the newest problem I am having on my 26" wheel Townie. However when I am in the bigger cogs say 1/2 up the stack, there is no problem. The deflection is very noticeable from a stand still.

Not getting nearly the same distance out of this cyclone then my 9C clone, because I think the throttle is always cranked. So gearing is next.

Throttle is always cranked on the Cyclone or on the 9C clone?

Yeah, if things bend that bad, or bad enough to derail chains then that means you're running way too much torque, thus wrong gearing. You need higher RPM at the cassette so you don't need to ever use the small cogs.

A Cyclone 3k running 1/3 throttle is super-inefficient if you want to achieve any range: Electric motors peak efficiency near their max RPM for any given voltage; so, anything below that RPM range you're simply spending your battery to heat things up. Pulsing 72 (instead of 36) volts for running the motor at 1/4th of its 72V rated RPM means that your efficiency is in the gutters; specially so on a square wave controller like the Cyclone one. Its far better to run the Cyclone on 24V/36V at full throttle than a 72V a 1/3 the throttle. But in the end, this all boils down to gearing.

G.

gman1971 said:
markz said:

Yeah, if things bend that bad, or bad enough to derail chains then that means you're running way too much torque, thus wrong gearing. You need higher RPM at the cassette so you don't need to ever use the small cogs.

A Cyclone 3k running 1/3 throttle is super-inefficient if you want to achieve any range: Electric motors peak efficiency near their max RPM for any given voltage; so, anything below that RPM range you're simply spending your battery to heat things up. Pulsing 72 (instead of 36) volts for running the motor at 1/4th of its 72V rated RPM means that your efficiency is in the gutters; specially so on a square wave controller like the Cyclone one. Its far better to run the Cyclone on 24V/36V at full throttle than a 72V a 1/3 the throttle. But in the end, this all boils down to gearing.

G.

Yeah..im going to also play aroud with gearing.
@gman..if I use the 52T which is almost the biggest I can find chainring for the crankset..then what is the calculation for the rear cassette? Large chainring to smallest cog in the cassette = fastest top speed OR large chainring to large cogs on the rear cassette or would that cancel things out?

My advice for chain longevity is you never want to use a big chainring into a small cog, in a bicycle grade drivetrain torque is your enemy. You want as much overdrive as you can muster from the motor in a gradual fashion and let that final cassette cog transform all those sweet RPMs you've accrued into gut wrenching torque to get you out of the dig in a rush. If you need to use the 11T to achieve top speed then you are using the wrong gearing.

For normal road going conditions and light offroad you want to use... say, a 52T chainring into a 36T cassette cog or a 42T cassette cog, or even a 49T or a 50T if possible BUT all made out of steel. You want to stay away from alloy in the drivetrain, just use steel; and if you can get CroMo components (chainrings, etc) get so as well.

My recommendation for gearing for an eBike in the 60lbs range would be a 18T motor freewheel into 48-52-24, a 18T into a 48T drive chainring, then a 52T to cassette (use the 24T for very steep hills to keep motor RPMs high); use a 10 speed 11-42 cassette from Sunrace, and get the ALL STEEL one, don't fall for the alloy crap one...in 7k miles I've gone through 2 of them, they will last a very long time if geared correctly. (in excess of 5000 miles each.) The Wolftooth cog on the other hand, didn't last much, so its useless for high power eBike long term application.

If you want to derive your own gearing, then first what your cruising speed is going to be and make sure you hit that speed in 2nd or 3rd gear (3rd gear being at least 32T). Don't bother using anything under 28T on the Cyclone for an extended period of time if you expect longevity; small cogs will eat chains, skip teeth, bend parts... etc.

So, with that said, if you first think you are going to cruise at 20 mph but you end up accelerator happy and you end up all the time stuck in the 11T then you didn't gear it right... find what speed you LIKE to be, be honest here, if you want 50, then make sure 3rd (32 or 28T min) gear hits 50, don't BS on this, otherwise you'll be eating chains very quickly.

G.

ebike11 said:
gman1971 said:
markz said:

G.

@gman..if I use the 52T which is almost the biggest I can find chainring for the crankset..then what is the calculation for the rear cassette? Large chainring to smallest cog in the cassette = fastest top speed OR large chainring to large cogs on the rear cassette or would that cancel things out?

gman1971 said:
My advice for chain longevity is you never want to use a big chainring into a small cog, in a bicycle grade drivetrain torque is your enemy. You want as much overdrive as you can muster from the motor in a gradual fashion and let that final cassette cog transform all those sweet RPMs you've accrued into gut wrenching torque to get you out of the dig in a rush. If you need to use the 11T to achieve top speed then you are using the wrong gearing.

For normal road going conditions and light offroad you want to use... say, a 52T chainring into a 36T cassette cog or a 42T cassette cog, or even a 49T or a 50T if possible BUT all made out of steel. You want to stay away from alloy in the drivetrain, just use steel; and if you can get CroMo components (chainrings, etc) get so as well.

My recommendation for gearing for an eBike in the 60lbs range would be a 18T motor freewheel into 48-52-24, a 18T into a 48T drive chainring, then a 52T to cassette (use the 24T for very steep hills to keep motor RPMs high); use a 10 speed 11-42 cassette from Sunrace, and get the ALL STEEL one, don't fall for the alloy crap one...in 7k miles I've gone through 2 of them, they will last a very long time if geared correctly. (in excess of 5000 miles each.) The Wolftooth cog on the other hand, didn't last much, so its useless for high power eBike long term application.

If you want to derive your own gearing, then first what your cruising speed is going to be and make sure you hit that speed in 2nd or 3rd gear (3rd gear being at least 32T). Don't bother using anything under 28T on the Cyclone for an extended period of time if you expect longevity; small cogs will eat chains, skip teeth, bend parts... etc.

So, with that said, if you first think you are going to cruise at 20 mph but you end up accelerator happy and you end up all the time stuck in the 11T then you didn't gear it right... find what speed you LIKE to be, be honest here, if you want 50, then make sure 3rd (32 or 28T min) gear hits 50, don't BS on this, otherwise you'll be eating chains very quickly.

G.

ebike11 said:
gman1971 said:
markz said:

G.

Thanks for the helpful info!!
Yes i dont want to use the 11T or even 14T etc. The lowest that my bike is running smoothly at is on the 18T of the shimano rear cassette cog connected to 44T at the moment. Im sure the 52T will bump the speed a little so thats why I was wondering if I could play around with the cassette gearing to squeeze more speed. I will not go less than 18T
Which cassette do you recommend that has a wide range of gearing and is durable?

As per my previous post, I have used the Sunrace 11-42 10 speed with very good results for road commuting and light offroad duty (fine gravel bike trails).

G.

gman1971 said:
As per my previous post, I have used the Sunrace 11-42 10 speed with very good results for road commuting and light offroad duty (fine gravel bike trails).

G.

Ok ill check it out thanks
If I went 52T chainring to 42 cassette cog...would the speed increase or decrease? Im at 18T rear cog at the moment

ebike11 said:
gman1971 said:

G.

Ok ill check it out thanks
If I went 52T chainring to 42 cassette cog...would the speed increase or decrease? Im at 18T rear cog at the moment

What is your top speed?

G.

Back