new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
nicobie said:
This thread is going seriously off topic. I have deleted a few posts.

Why, what rule and by what authority are you deleting user posts? I read this forum everyday and this is the first post I look for. I enjoy it not just because of the specific izip ebike posts. It is a very interesting thread on how a user has gone about solving his problems given his present situation, and credit to all those who have/are helping him. The word is made up of all types and personalities of varying skillsets and endless sphere should accomodate them all without snobbery or abuse of power through jealousy.

Judging by the amount of visits he gets it seems there are a lot who read his daily ebike adventure and he is your most popular poster by far. No rules are broken so please do not delete posts because of a personal dislike, grudge or jealousy.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=111570
The rules of endless sphere.

latevance said:
nicobie said:

Why, what rule and by what authority are you deleting user posts? I read this forum everyday and this is the first post I look for. I enjoy it not just because of the specific izip ebike posts. It is a very interesting thread on how a user has gone about solving his problems given his present situation, and credit to all those who have/are helping him. The word is made up of all types and personalities of varying skillsets and endless sphere should accomodate them all without snobbery or abuse of power through jealousy.

Judging by the amount of visits he gets it seems there are a lot who read his daily ebike adventure and he is your most popular poster by far. No rules are broken so please do not delete posts because of a personal dislike, grudge or jealousy.

markz said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=111570
The rules of endless sphere.

latevance said:
nicobie said:

You are a fine one to quote the rules. How many of your sarcastic, micky taking posts in this thread are deliberately leading the op down a path that will lead him into trouble given his skillset? Mostly you post links and take the p. You encourage him to go off topic and usually instigate it. If you cant help the specific problem by your own knowledge and experience then why take the p? Just dont post dribble and endless links in the thread to up your count.

I appreciate that people do like and follow my posts but will try and keep the topic in the e bike workshop.

I tore apart the 10S - LTO box and rebuilding everything.

IMG_1134.JPGIMG_1135.JPG

I am trying to make them as compact as possible, I got thin stuff and 5.16". I have fiberglass resin as well and a sander ect. Trying to fabricate 20S - LTO to fit on the frame.

I do sometimes delete my own posts when I get off topic or rant and rave. I am glad however he did not delete DAs post that had the information on the range of LTOs and the power modules. That I need for future reference.

Thanks.

11/19/21

This post will stay active forever but only contain e bike related content.

I started a new post on the biker bar - off topic conversations. It has the same name as this.

new eZip motor.

Whoever posts I will post. Talk about whatever you want.

thanks.

LC. out.

Danger! Sock Puppet...

latevance said:
nicobie said:

That's not e bike related !!!!!

I have been working on my LTOs.

I was marking the dot to drill the holes by eye. You can see the spaces between the LTOs in the picture. I measured the center of the threaded top of the cells dead center for the cells that were touching to get it as small and compact as possible. Then I made a pattern and cut out all the pieces for the tops and bottoms of the cells.

The hole saw for the larger hole is about 1/16" too small and was using a file but got a Dremel set with the small sanding rings to speed up the process. Obviously I have a long way to go before I am finished. I can not rush it because I will make mistakes and it will take longer and waste materials like when I was trying to do the center of the holes by eye. I had to do it all over to get it right.

I am not exactly sure how I will join the four 5S - banks together but am hoping for a single pack which will mount on the triangle frame and take up as little space as possible. After that I will need to make accommodations for the wiring and controller. Looking at the 20" bike with the 1,800W brushless motor and the 26" dual suspension. For the Haro V3 I will need a separate 4S - LTO pack for 64V. That will probably go in a front basket.

That is e bike related.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 768
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 768
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 768
IMG_1139.JPG

Yea. The positive tops are a lot larger. It sucks as the larger holes are not quite large enough but later this afternoon will use the Dremel kit for each hole.

Since I used a pattern yesterday to mark the centers the holes are all the same but when cutting out the rectangles with a jig saw some holes are just a little off center and the cell could be a 1/16" larger than the edge of the wood so will need to shave the other way with those.

It is not easy to make each one exactly perfect. I really wish I had a friend that owns a 3D printer. That is the right tool for this job. Unfortunately I never ordered one and that is the reason. Because I know nothing about them and would probably still be in a box collecting dust.

What I do know about is working with wood and fiberglass resin which is what they repair automotive panels and boats with so proven to be very strong. I plan on using it if I need to when bonding the single 5S packs together to make a single triangle battery box. It will slide over the top bar and bolt down somehow. It must work for both 20" and 26" mountain bikes.

If I manage to pull this off hopefully I will get a little respect from those here that like me but some folk will never see anything I do as worthwhile. That is ok though as the purpose of this exercise is to be able to run LTO. I paid around $600 for those. They were not cheap but last a lifetime.

Too bad I could never run them for an electric motorcycle. Basically I might never be able to build the FX motor after reading DAs last post. 34 power modules is more than just ridiculous it is absurd. I looked up battery packs for the FX motorcycle and the Lightening and factory packs are almost as much as a base model bike. Not even sure what chemistry but probably Lion.

13S * 34 = 442 cells so is possible they are running 500 , 600 or more 18650 high capacity and discharge cells in parallel series for those type of bikes. Nothing I would ever want to try and build. Solid state batteries should only be a few years away now and probably the answer I am looking for so will hold on the FX motor until then I guess.

I did not drink so am up now planning for this afternoon on what I will be doing in the e bike workshop. The ring terminals I will need are about $25 bucks and about 1/2 mile down the road. A new electric mask is on the way in the mail so I wont be breathing lead fumes. I have a big roll of 10 gauge wire and two 10S active balancers for LTO and a 15 amp 54.6V charger.

Thanks.

LC. out.

IMG_1140.JPG

New technology batteries will be expensive so you will have to wait a few years for them to come down in price like everything.

Now we get into the computer builders spiral, wait for the next technology to come out before doing anything and in that case, you will always be waiting.

IMG_1142.JPGIMG_1143.JPGIMG_1144.JPGIMG_1145.JPG

Yea.

I will be glad when it is finished. I have been working my ass off on this. Less than half way there. Tomorrow I will build the other two. One is less than 3" so less than 6" on the top bar and then one on each side. As long as I can place my feet on the pedals I am good with the 20" bike. I eyeballed it and no way I will ever pedal with a 20: bike. I should be able with a 26" though as higher up. If I go to far towards the front the front wheel wont turn. Good thing it is adjustable.

Also The two on each side will need to go the other way end to the bottom I think so I can get to the cells to upgrade if a connecter comes loose. The fiberglass resin and L brackets will connect them. I will need to screw and glue a 5/16 piece on the bottom and the ends for support.

The active balancers are at the post office for the LIFEPO4 packs. I will be picking them up Monday. I need to go to the post office anyway as sending the landlord $1,125 for the last three months rent so the eviction gets dropped. I was unable to find a different apartment.

I also found a 10S - Lion -BMS I ordered a long time ago when I was looking for the chargers to my cordless drills. I can finish the 10S - 7P Lion pack I started and run it in parallel with the Laudation pack for 10S - 11P - total. I think the BMS is 15 amps. The same as the Laudation pack so will be 30 amp total and should run any of my single Bafang motors. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

LC. out.

What fuse are you going to be using?
Where are you going to place it on the positive main wire or negative main wire?
I can't help you on whether to choose fast blow vs slow blow.

Grintech was selling 32V(dc) Little fuses, but you can buy them anywhere as their used in automotive industry, the highest I saw and was looking at buying locally was 32V(dc) 40A. Mouser.com (delivery) or B&E Electronics which is local to me for local pickup. I was going to ride there on Friday to pick up some much needed supplies (wire and solder) but I was so out of tune for not riding my ebike due to broken frame that I just ended up cruising around aimlessly which is a form of meditation not medication like some.

Littlefuses (brand name) are dirt cheap, filtered for 32V-70V(dc) and 30A to 80A.
https://www.mouser.com/c/circuit-protection/fuses/automotive-fuses/?current%20rating=30%20A~~80%20A&voltage%20rating%20dc=32%20VDC~~70%20VDC&sort=pricing&rp=circuit-protection%2Ffuses%2Fautomotive-fuses%7C~Current%20Rating%7C~Voltage%20Rating%20DC

Other types/standards/formfactors of fuses
https://www.mouser.com/c/circuit-protection/fuses/?current%20rating=30%20A%7C~32%20A~~35%20A%7C~40%20A%7C~45%20A~~50%20A%7C~60%20A~~70%20A%7C~75%20A~~80%20A&voltage%20rating%20dc=32%20VDC~~60%20VDC%7C~63%20VDC~~72%20VDC&instock=y&normallystocked=y&sort=pricing&rp=circuit-protection%2Ffuses%7C~Current%20Rating%7C~Voltage%20Rating%20DC&pg=2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292291471543

Where are you going to place it on the positive main wire or negative main wire?

positive, I never heard of negative???? If you know something I don't please share.

Thanks

LC out.

latecurtis said:

positive, I never heard of negative???? If you know something I don't please share.

Thanks

LC out.

Either side will break the circuit. If enough current to blow the fuse is flowing in the positive wire by definition of a circuit the same current must be flowing in the negative.

Don't know if you are as old as me or remember when they would ground the positive and ran negative to the devices! This went out about the time of using 6v and 9v starter batteries. Last time was in the 80's on a farm.

by latecurtis » Nov 21 2021 5:46am

Thanks

LC out.

Fuse on positive of course, I can't remember the reason why.

A nice quick little read up
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/445740/does-it-matter-if-a-fuse-is-connected-to-the-negative-or-positive-terminal-of-a

So long as its 48F out I ride.

Old cars - Not voltage related but if any ones interested in old vehicles, Steve Magnante (Barret Jackson Auction car nerd, Roadkill, MotorTrend) has a new yt channel out.
https://www.youtube.com/c/SteveMagnante/videos
https://stevemags.com/

I use a Soshine power pack. Bought without 18650 batteries and used my own. Very useful.

Attachments

• 4C597931-7DD6-4578-AD85-41ECA04DD7AD.png
    4C597931-7DD6-4578-AD85-41ECA04DD7AD.png
    777.9 KB · Views: 660
As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. Making progress.

Yea. I got one more panel to glue and screw for tonight. I will do all the ends tomorrow.

Far from being finished though. I bought fiberglass cloth and hardener tonight and some heavy duty L brackets and the perfect size screws that are not too long as do not want to screw into one of the LTOs.

LTOs.png

Once it is all together and the threads and series connections are made and covered I want to be able to get to each cell so will need small hinges and a tiny lock for each. Once that is accomplished and the power wires and active balancers are hooked up I will be doing one final step as these LTOs are expensive. I paid about $600 for 24 - LTOs. so 600 / 24 = 25 * 20 = $500 + the materials to build the box.

SO

I am thinking about hiding the wood. I do not want people to see a wood box.

I was thinking about a roll of this.

G180-Upholstery-Vinyl.jpg

https://www.istockphoto.com/illustrations/gold-leather-sofa

There are different patterns as well as leather stitching. It will take some time and will be tedious but in the end this battery box must look good. I can also use any extra leather for other e bike projects. I will need to watch some art and craft videos. It is not anything I have done before. I think I made a leather wallet back in junior high school in the late 70s early 80s. :lol:

The L brackets are too big. Not sure how I am dealing with that. There are a few things I need to work out but the bottom pictures show the shape but will look a lot different when finished and covered with leather. The pack with the L brackets on it in the picture will be the top. I used the thin wood for the top and the thick wood for the bottom and top and bottom of the other pack that is horizontal in the top picture as where the fiberglass resin and brackets will go.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 627
  • IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 627
  • IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 627
latevance said:
nicobie said:

Yes, this thread is popular ... but, be warned, it should be viewed for entertainment purposes only ... !
... rather than educational, unless clearly labeled as a cautionary tale!
"People just can't look away from a train wreck as it's happening."

Posts were deleted when "train wreck" sidetracked onto rants involving delinquent rent, drug and alcohol addiction, mental health issues, guns and violence etc. ... non-thread related!

This forum is dedicated to promoting positive world improving progress and innovations, not pandering to the rants and raves of "troubled" members.

DrkAngel said:
latevance said:
nicobie said:

Yes, this thread is popular ... but, be warned, it should be viewed for entertainment purposes only ... !
... rather than educational, unless clearly labeled as a cautionary tail!
"People just can't look away from a train wreck as it's happening."

Posts were deleted when "train wreck" sidetracked onto rants involving delinquent rent, drug and alcohol addiction, mental health issues, guns and violence etc. ... non-thread related!

This forum is dedicated to promoting positive world improving progress and innovations, not pandering to the rants and raves of "troubled" members.
I don't agree. What we do here is help each other build a better electric bicycle. And help each other any way we can. Here I was having the most serious problem in my life.

Noe after searching it seems that thread has been deleted. The only trace I can find is here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82223&p=1341923&hilit=constipation#p1341923
Scroll down to see the problem. I made a link. Now all I see is:
"The requested topic does not exist."

Sad that my adventures of lifting a 400 pound beam have been erased. If I am wrong? Would someone with better searching skills please find that topic.
beam01.JPG
According to my records of pictures in my computer picture was taken 8/27/2014

If my medical problem and adventures of lifting a 400 pound beam were really erased. Then WHY?

Deleting the words that someone wrote is like a landlord throwing away someones stuff. I am the landlord here and according to the law I store peoples stuff for a "reasonable period of time"

A wise, helpful, kind, man does everything in his power to prevent a train wreck. Everyone else? They stand at a safe distance and watch the train wreck.

On the subject of train wrecks and marijuana. What do you get when you cross Trainwreck and Diesel ? ...... Diesel Train

nicobie said:
And this is why I have decided to create my own Electric Bicycle Forum.

Bought the domain name electric-bicycle-forum.com

10 yrs .COM Domain Registration, $95.22, ICANN Fees $1.80, Total (USD) $97.02

Hostings on me.

Give me a few days to figure this out.

marty said:
I don't agree. What we do here is help each other build a better electric bicycle. And help each other any way we can. Here I was having the most serious problem in my life.

If you spent any amount of time considering what has been deleted...
It appears you haven't. Every page has someone TRYING to help. The OP seldom listened and continues on a ridiculous set of opinions short on facts.

It'll be fun to see how you handle moderating. No post here was deleted without good reasons.

marty said:
And this is why I have decided to create my own Electric Bicycle Forum.

So, I guess that means you won't be posting here anymore? :p

I doubt anybody has messed with your 7 year old thread. There have been problems with the forum's data since then. Shit happens.

Have fun with your new $100 forum. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back