new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. What is a fanny pack good for ????? :lol:

image_2021-11-03_180204.png

answer.

1S - 5P - LIFEPO4 strapped to the handle bars.

Yea. I just can not live with the fact the Currie will not go 30 mph on the flat.

The Voltage SAG is just too much with 12S - LIFEPO4. I did see 28 mph and 27 mph though. Two different GPS speedometer apps.

The power meter clearly reads 34V under load. I think I saw it SAG to 33 for a second as well. If I add 3.5V to 34V that will be 37.5 and 36.5 if SAG voltage is 33V.

Since the 36V 1,000W chain drive is rated at 3,000 rpm at 36V then it is possible to hit 30 mph at 13S or 3.55V * 13 = 46.15V.

Fully charged voltage is 47.4V for 13S but at 97 to 98% is closer to 46V. After SAG should be > 36V and 30 mph.

I will need to order one more box of 15 - K2 energy cells. Also I can buy 2 or 3 fanny packs so when I recharge at 12S out on the road I will have one or two 1S - 5P packs in my back pack to swap out for 13S - 5P.

Yes. I am patting myself on the back for being a true genius.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Blacklite said:
latecurtis said:

The Dunning-Kruger is strong here.

They were disciples of Alex Pope?

Alexander Pope (21 May 1688 – 30 May 1744) was an English poet and satirist of the Augustan period and one of its greatest artistic exponents.[1] Considered the foremost English poet of the early 18th century and a master of the heroic couplet, he is best known for satirical and discursive poetry, including The Rape of the Lock, The Dunciad, and An Essay on Criticism, and for his translation of Homer. After Shakespeare, he is the second-most quoted author in The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations,

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a hypothetical cognitive bias stating that people with low ability at a task overestimate their own ability, and that people with high ability at a task underestimate their own ability.

WOW.

I like the history lessons.

Thanks. guys.

I am still working on the 4S - 5P pack. I took a short ride yesterday with the Currie. My algae eater died about three weeks ago and my 36 gallon tank has a lot of algae so had to go get a new one. He is busy now doing his job. I am about to have a cup of coffee and start working on the 4S - 5P pack. Also looking for external balancers for the three LIFE packs I built.

I found a place that has the ring connecters for the LTOs. That is my next big project. Then I will order two Bluetooth BMSs for the power modules. Yes I could use one but am going with two.

Thanks.

LC. out.

At first I thought DA will start preaching "The Word" :lol: seeing Pope thinking a pope pope, I never bothered to wiki it now know he's a poet. I think its an on going theme - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62231&p=1676473&hilit=pope#p1676473

DrkAngel said:
Blacklite said:
latecurtis said:
The Dunning-Kruger is strong here.
They were disciples of Alex Pope?

Diversion tactics

latecurtis said:
Alexander Pope (21 May 1688 – 30 May 1744) was an English poet and satirist of the Augustan period and one of its greatest artistic exponents.[1] Considered the foremost English poet of the early 18th century and a master of the heroic couplet, he is best known for satirical and discursive poetry, including The Rape of the Lock, The Dunciad, and An Essay on Criticism, and for his translation of Homer. After Shakespeare, he is the second-most quoted author in The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations,

OK.

I have been working on something since my last post. My coffee got cold.

I am really hoping for a straight answer here if possible. It has been about 25 years since I took circuits 2 at the community college back in NY. I am rusty to say the least.

I do remember the difference between AC and DC. AC is alternating and DC is direct soooo I think this might just work but not trying it unless I know for sure. I need to be 100% positive. If in fact it will work it would give me a lot more power running the Currie as the chain drive could get more power. I do NOT want to over - volt the Bafang motor on the front. That is why I want to do it that way.

1S - 5P is probably enough and would only need 1 box of 15 cells and then could have two extra fanny packs for 1S - 5P to switch after I recharge at 12S with the 43.8V - 10 amp charger.

Please let me know.

wiring diagram.png

1 more question.

I was going to take the Bafang off the 26" dual suspension and install the 750W chain on the front but I am really lazy. I have one 10S - LTO almost built. I was just wondering if that would work. I think the 38 amp controller is 48 to 60V. Voltage to that would be around 66 or 67V I think.

diagram #2.png

Please let me know.

Well I guess nobody wants to post.

I really would like an answer now especially for the Currie. The 40 amp controller trips the 40 amp breaker so need to order a 60 amp breaker A.S.A.P. It still wont do 30 mph even with the 40 amp controller due to the voltage SAG.

I will order one more box of 15 - K2 energy cells.

However before combining the four strings I built for 4S - 5P I would like to know if that could work.

wiring diagram.png

I don't know if the 26 amp 36V controller can do 14S - 5P LIFEPO4 as 3.6 * 14 = 50.4V. Probably wont work with the 36V controller but am thinking 13S - 5P - 46.8V could work with the 26 amp controller and might get 30 mph on the flat.

I would rather go 30 mph with the Currie right now than 35 mph with the 1,800W brushless motor. That can wait until I get one more box of those LIFE cells.

Please let me know if that diagram will work.

I can always build the 4S pack for 57V later after I order one more box of those LIFE cells.

Pleeeeeeeeease let me know if that will work.

Thanks.

LC out.

Alexander Pope's quick quotes

quote-a-little-learning-is-a-dangerous-thing-drink-deep-or-taste-not-the-pierian-spring-alexander-pope-23-43-57.jpg

quote-to-be-angry-is-to-revenge-the-faults-of-others-on-ourselves-alexander-pope-23-43-51.jpg

quote-some-people-will-never-learn-anything-for-this-reason-because-they-understand-everything-alexander-pope-23-43-55.jpg

quote-as-with-narrow-necked-bottles-the-less-they-have-in-them-the-more-noise-they-make-in-alexander-pope-65-99-43.jpg

quote-do-you-find-yourself-making-excuses-when-you-do-not-perform-shed-the-excuses-and-face-alexander-pope-115-25-63.jpg

OK.

I read them.

It has been a lot of years since taking electronics in college. I did a few classes in 06 and 95. I really do not remember a lot.

One thing I think is correct is electron flows in one direction with DC current and both directions in AC.

Since all batteries are DC than the diagram below should be correct.

wiring diagram.png

I will be ordering a 60 amp DC breaker for the 40 amp 2 kilowatt controller. I am thinking about 13S for the 1,000W controller and 14S for the 2 kilowatt controller and 12S for the 18 amp greetime controller for the Bafang.

I will be able to switch from the 1,000W brush - 13S and the 2 kilowatt brush for 14S. Since I have four 1S - 5P packs I can combine for 2S - 5P , and 1S - 5P.

That will leave 1S - 5P left over , then when I order 1 more box of 15 cells I will have 20 cells total for 4S - 5P - 57V for the 48V - 1,800W brushless motor and the 1,000W DD on the 26" dual suspension.

I was just hoping that someone could just verify that my diagram will work with no damage to batteries or controllers.

Thanks.

LC. out.

A Poet and a pastel Artist in our midst. Whats the yellow bricks? Literally the only thing not labelled. If its a switch to turn one side on, or the other side, or both you'll need to look at throw/pole switches and their configurations and note the amp rating Artist.

Looks like your into Electron Flow vs Conventional flow.

Probably put in some diodes.

If its a switch to turn one side on, or the other side, or both you'll need to look at throw/pole switches and their configurations and note the amp rating Artist.

Looks like your into Electron Flow vs Conventional flow.

Probably put in some diodes.

Oh.

The yellow squares are the XT60 connecters.

The switches are DC breakers.

What are diodes ?????

I will google it.

Where would they go ?

Thanks.

LC. out.

The yellow squares are the XT60 connecters.
Ah now its clear, paralleling batteries 12S5P with 1S5P (with no gnd, but I will assume its parallel) won't turn out to well for ya, diodes cant help that.

You like to do things the hard way.

Conventional Current assumes that current flows out of the positive terminal, through the circuit and into the negative terminal of the source. ... Electron Flow is what actually happens and electrons flow out of the negative terminal, through the circuit and into the positive terminal of the source.

After reading that I am totally confused. I do not know how a DC breaker could work that way. There is a load terminal and a source terminal on the DC breaker.

Yea. I am dumbfounded.

I might just run 13S to both controllers then. Hopefully it wont burn out the Bafang motor.

The biggest mystery to me is the fact that fresh off the charger 12S - LIFE = 43V however when hooked to the power meter I see < 40V in the video - no load. I know I started the video < 1 mile from my house. No way voltage dropped 3V in 1 mile.

download (2).png

I will look tomorrow and see what the voltage is as soon as I hook up the meter before any load takes place. I just do not want to over volt the Bafang. The Bafang seems sluggish though at 12S LIFE so could run better at 13S.

It would be the easiest solution rather than re wiring everything. With a load of 42 amps voltage SAG for 12S LIFE is

download (3).png

SOOOOO

My solution is to try 13S and switch off the Bafang and if that don't do the trick I will hook up the 2 kilowatt brush motor and run 14S. Gearing is

download (4).png

It looks like 13S will get me 36V and almost 29 mph so 14S should hit 30+ mph. I like the way the Bafang works at low speeds on the flat < 15 mph. I do not want to destroy any of my Bafang motors so think running the rear solo at 13S tomorrow with the 1,000W brush and 14S with the 2 kilowatt brush after I get my 60 amp DC breaker.

Thanks.

LC. out.

11/5/21 - 4:30 PM.

Ok.

I figured it out.

Currie wiring update.png

To switch to 46V - 13S will be as easy as unplugging a XT 60 connecter and two bullet plugs and plugging them in to the 60 amp breaker and 2,000W controller.

Will take about 30 seconds or less. I can steal the 60 amp breaker from the 20" bike with the 1,800W brushless motor. I will put money on my card and order an 80 amp DC breaker to upgrade that.

HOWEVER !!!!

I am really lazy. :oops:

SOOOOO

I am soldering wires to hook up the 1S - 5P to the 12S - 5P for 13S - 5P.

I will run both controllers at 13S to see how they perform. If I can hit 30 mph on the flat then I do not have to do anything else right now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

5:53 PM.

Yea. Might still be time for a test run before dark.

IMG_1086.JPGIMG_1087.JPG

Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 745
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 745
I can not digest your entire thread, I could only handle the first little bit

Your voltage reader could be off, if its a cheap voltage reader could likely be the case.

If you read your voltage a mile down the road and you let it rest and measured then you've damaged the cells.
How hard did you ride in that mile, was it up hill? on the flats, what kind of load did you put on the battery was it 42V and little amps or 42V and lots of amps like up a hill. If you measured it right away without the battery resting and it dropped 3V and stayed there you got issues man.

I would put a new battery in your dmm and measure. Lose whatever rc voltage reader you have, use a cheap dmm voltage meter with a new battery.

Repeat the test, and measure or feel the temp of the batteries.

Your voltage reader could be off, if its a cheap voltage reader could likely be the case.

If you read your voltage a mile down the road and you let it rest and measured then you've damaged the cells.
How hard did you ride in that mile, was it up hill? on the flats, what kind of load did you put on the battery was it 42V and little amps or 42V and lots of amps like up a hill. If you measured it right away without the battery resting and it dropped 3V and stayed there you got issues man.

I would put a new battery in your dmm and measure. Lose whatever rc voltage reader you have, use a cheap dmm voltage meter with a new battery.

Repeat the test, and measure or feel the temp of the batteries.

Well.

It is a good voltage meter as DA. recommended it. I only used the Bafang and 18 amp controller for the first mile. I will need to hook the meter up again as am now running 13S - LIFEPO4. NOT 12S anymore.

I rode it tonight and the Bafang seemed to have a little more power but the serious issues are with the 36V brush controller. The extra voltage did absolutely nothing.

I tried looking up that model and found it in my purchase history and found nothing as far as amp rating. I do not think it is a 1,000W controller. Maybe 800W.

The motor is rated at 36V - 3,000 rpm and 1,000W. That could also be a big fat lie from the manufacture or seller. If it were true gearing would be 28 mph. I am not seeing anything close to that. It could be that it is a 24V - 500W - 2,500 rpm motor with a 36V - 1,000W label on it. Not really sure.

I will need to run the 2,000W brush controller with the speed control knob at 13S - 46V and see what happens. Hopefully 30 mph will happen. I know it is NOT the LIFE cells even though several ES members think so. If it were the batteries I built then how can you explain > 2,000W on the meter. ?????????

Basically the front Bafang has almost the same performance now as the rear chain drive with the 36V 1,000W brush controller. They actually work well together as when the rear chain slows down going up a small hill and am over half way I can kick in the Bafang for a little boost. That will not work on a large hill however.

I will hook up a 60 amp breaker tomorrow and run the rear chain SOLO with the 2 kilowatt controller. I really want to order that controller from electric scooter parts though.

https://electricscooterparts.com/hookup/SPD-SD1000-3.htm

download (6).png

It has the specs. I am looking for. I like a thumb throttle a lot better than that speed control knob. Also it makes an annoying whining sound. Only thing it is good for is no LVC.

Carrying extra strings of 1S - 5P with bullets to easily hook up can also extend range though. If LVC trips I can stop and simply add 1S - 5P when ever I need to. It can get me an extra 5 miles or so in an emergency. I will probably keep the 2 kilowatt controller though just in case but really want that 40 amp controller from electric scooter parts.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Even if its good voltage reader that DA recommended then its still best to replace the battery if its a battery that came with the voltage reader and its been left on, or just old.

Also be sure your on the correct settings, I measured DC in V(ac) and the voltage was off.

Also, even if its a good DMM and been recommended by DA, its always best to check voltage with another DMM.

You never know.

Anyway, I didnt read all of your post, just repeating myself for your benefit.

Even if its good voltage reader that DA recommended then its still best to replace the battery if its a battery that came with the voltage reader and its been left on, or just old.

NO.

It works off the battery. Battery female XT60 plugs in male XT60 to meter which measures power , voltage and current and shows peak values. Output wire is female XT60 going to male XT60. positive wire going to circuit breaker and negative to controller/controllers.

I will try to solve the mystery tomorrow if it don't rain. The 40 amp brush controller with the speed control knob should do 30 mph on the flat at 13S - 46V. If not then I guess the LIFE cells are junk. We will see what the power is showing on the meter. It showed > 2 kilowatts at 12S but was using both Bafang and the brush motor at the same time.

I need to see the rear chain drive SOLO with the Bafang turned off at 13S - 46V - LIFE and the speed control knob on the max setting. Then the meter and speedometer will tell the story.

Thanks.

LC. out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns.

Just shot a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRRqOc5eBa0

Yea.

I want to build a 3S - 5P pack for 57V and 35 mph.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Think I might have to smoke some pot instead. :lol: Yea.

Trying to finish that dink. About 1/2 way gone.

I want to go 35 mph. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Really sucks :?

Currie is slower than a sloth.

fuckin sucks.

Thanks.

LC. out.

What is your rush?
Why you need to go so fast man, theres no where for you to go in such a rush like that.
Learn to slow down, take a breath, take a break
Eat a Kit Kat
or
[youtube]HRtgZCDmwkY[/youtube]
At 12,252 and done.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. - Kick ass brush controllers.

Yea.

debating if I should order one more box of those K2 energy cells to build a 6S pack for 64.8V or not.

I should be able to get 57V at 16S using what I got.

I want to try something new and different on As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns.

That is picking a topic directly related to e bikes instead of focusing on myself and my personal builds , failures or short comings. This way anyone who loggs on can mabye learn about something they did not know. Today it is brush controllers.

With that said I want to get to todays topic.

First I encourage anyone here on ES to post any brush controller you feel is a kick ass controller or over achiever. Something you would recommend from experience or a controller you would be willing to purchase after reading the specifications.

I will post two. One that I currently own and run and one I really want to purchase for a dual motor set up.

1.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223935157225?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D8033abdc542d4c78a4332ad3506a558a%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D223935157225%26itm%3D223935157225%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A97becd87-3f45-11ec-8971-66155d927a24%7Cparentrq%3Af7142d2517c0ab8ff6f4cc06fff8216a%7Ciid%3A1

download (7).png

Yea. It is a real cheap guy. I have purchased at least 6 of these over the years. A couple failed as soon as I turned them on so about 80% were good and lasted years.

No LVC. If you want LVC do not buy that. Also rated at 50V max. I personally do not recommend pushing that number due to the cheap price. It might just catch on fire. I do not know if or what the caps are. DA would probably know just by looking at it.

2.)

https://electricscooterparts.com/hookup/SPD-482000Awiring.htm

download (8).png

Yes.

Now that is impressive. Anyone who thinks not please by all means post a better one for that price or less !!!!! I want to see it.

50V * 60 amps = 3,000W. Yea. I just happen to own two 36V brush motors I am not using right now. The 36V - 750W gear reduction motor and a 36V - 2,750 rpm - 800W brush motor.

Then there is the simplicity of that controller. Not a whole bunch of wires and plugs you probably wont need. I know all I use is the power , motor and throttle wires.

I consider that the big dog in the yard. I am very impressed. Like to hear from anyone who has ordered a brush controller from electric scooter parts. I know they ship really fast as the 11T - dual D bore 17mm motor sprocket is in my PO. box for pick up tomorrow when they open. They ship USPS which is exactly what I like renting a PO. box.

Yea. I am on a budget and still have a 3 kilowatt brushless motor to build. I would really like to build a dual brush chain drive capable of > 40 mph though. :twisted:

Please

Anyone who knows of a brush controller , feel free to post. High power brushless controllers > 1,000W are very common today but a good brush controller with that power rating are scarce. Not a lot of choices unless you want a speed control knob. I prefer a thumb throttle myself.

Thanks.

LC. out.

IMG_1091.JPGIMG_1092.JPGIMG_1093.JPGIMG_1094.JPGIMG_1095.JPG

Well.

I decided to double up the 16 gauge speaker wire. Lots of copper now for electrons to flow. After I am done with the liquid tape I will be using color coded electrical tape and all series connections made with male bullets.

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

The green with male bullets connect the two 6S - 5P packs for 12S - 5P.

The yellow connects the 1S - 5P to the 12S for 13S.

I will be making a blue one to connect 13S - 5P to 3S - 5P for 16S - 5P.

That is because all the bullet connecters that come from the packs are female that way I can not physically connect positive to negative for a direct short.

I could take it a step further and install an 80 amp fuse between all the male bullets. That would make sure that any short would be impossible.

I have a battery bag that will house the 1S - 5P and 3S - 5P packs. They will be in series inside the bag with the positive yellow wire for the series connection to the negative of the 12S packs. the negative of the 1S to the positive of the 3S and the negative of the 3S will have a long black wire with a female bullet. I will keep a multi meter inside the battery bag so I can check voltage and polarity before hooking into the harness that goes to the controller/controllers.

IMG_1098.JPG

Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 645
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 641
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 641
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 641
Be aware!
Speaker wire is typically poor for electric conduction and nearly universally over rated!

download (9).png

download (10).png

That is why I did that. I figured it would be around 10 gauge. If there is some resistance inside the packs for some reason I do not need to add any from thin gauge wire for series connections.

Yea.

It is copper wire and the connections are soldered. Then properly insulated.

Thanks.

11/7/21 - 4:51 PM.

Yea.

Taking forever and ever to balance the 3S - 5P - pack. LiPo charger timed out charging overnight. Going to order active balancers for the 3S pack and both 6S packs. Also a dedicated charger for 1S. Plus one more box of those cells for a couple extra strings.

I just watched this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEVQ_8DUpm4

https://www.batteryspace.com/smart-charger-3-0a-for-3-2v-lifepo4-battery-pack.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVFkc8_3m5ALGrCYi7Ja2AO5F-VMH2ICg0C7PZBIoBZWPV2CsxnC0TkaAowKEALw_wcB

Yea. I agree with DA about active balancers hiding a problem but only when it applies to lithium ion or LiPo.

Active balancers for LIFE and LTO technology is 100% safe and can save hours a week external balancing and 6S balance charging.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Houston has a problem. :oops:

Yea. I am sure several ES members here on this post will be laughing at me or saying I told you so.

However if I don't post I will not know how to go about fixing it. I ran the Currie tonight to Wall-Mart. I had the 12S - 5P pack hooked up to the 1S - 5P - pack.

When I got home I tested the packs to see where they were at and got an unpleasant surprise. I did not run the 3S - 5P - pack yet. That was on the balance charger awhile I was gone but did not balance. That is the least of my worries now.

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAhZF_yfqEE

Not sure how or why. They were in series all the way there and back. Was a little sluggish on the way back but plenty of power on the way there.

Please let me know. I tried a 5V phone charger and spliced the wires but voltage from the charger dropped to zero when I hooked it up. None of the cell banks in either 6S - 5P pack was abnormally low. All around 25 to 30% and above 3.2V when I got back.

It really does not make any sense. Not sure how to charge it. If it were Lion or LiPo there would be no hope at all. However these are LIFEPO4 cells so might be a way.

I was wondering how it could complete a series connection at zero volts. I hooked my other meter up and got that.

IMG_1106.JPG

Please let me know.

Yea.

Nobody will give me an answer. I can see Tomajaz , Nickobe and Backlight sitting back gloating right now. DA might say I told you so. It is the speaker wire. I get it. You all think I will just give up. Throw in the towel. Quit.

Well I can not honestly say I know why the 1S - 5P pack is in skid row mode. I can only make wild guesses. I do know however how it was hooked up.

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.png

Yea.

The illustration on the left failed miserably and the 1S - 5P is shot. A complete failure. Maybe not fixable. Maybe ?

However after about 30 hours of balance charging and external balancing I hooked up the wood strip and am charging the low cell. Soon all three cell banks will be > 97%.

Yea. This has escalated into a full scale war. LC vs LIFEPO4.

I lost a battle in the war to run LIFEPO4 successfully. One cell bank has perished. Revival is kind of sketchy but not impossible.

However

General lateucrtis has drawn new battle plans which would be the illustration on the right side where the 4s - 5P pack will be hooked up between the 6S - 5P packs in series. Not on the end like the poor 1S - 5P pack that was killed.

Oh.

and one more thing.

LC. has called in the Calvary.

download (12).png

Yea.

And do not forget the secret weapon. My ace in the hole

IMG_1111.JPG

54.6V / 15 = 3.64V.

When I need to run a 36V e bike I have my 43.8V - 10 amp 12S - LIFE charger and when I want to run a 48V e bike I have my 15S - 54.6V - 15S - LIFE charger.

Yea. I do not need that 1S - 5P - cell bank. If it wont charge back up it can R. I . P.

Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 585
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 585
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back