new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a biker bar downtown called the sawmill lots of bikers go there. my new sprocket looks just like the buzz saw they got mounted on their wall. lol.

Attachments

• 1314e.jpg
    1314e.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 4,000
can see the difference in chain and sprocket size from motor side to pedel side. what # is the chain and sprocket on the pedel side? Im learning fast.

3000 rpm 48 at volts. 11 tooth & 80 tooth = 31.86 mph.

like to go with a 70 tooth for more speed but not going too as it might burn out up a hill right?

i can live with 31 mph. after the 48 volt upgrade.

7-8 speed chain is 1/2" x 3/32"
Motor side chain was 1/2" x 1/8" = #410 chain
You new motor rig will require #25 motor sprocket, wheel sprocket and chain.

latecurtis said:
3000 rpm 48 at volts. 11 tooth & 80 tooth = 31.86 mph.

like to go with a 70 tooth for more speed but not going too as it might burn out up a hill right?

i can live with 31 mph. after the 48 volt upgrade.
Gearing higher won't push you past 30mph.
It will decrease speed and increase damaging heat on hills tho ...

On the level, typical mountain bike, it requires 1000w motor output to sustain 30 mph.

Watts_%3D_Speed.jpg

2015 currie supergrade.

magic pie 2 - 1000 watt front wheel kit. for 0 - 37 mph.

1000 watt 48 volt 3000 rpm rear drive 45 tooth by 11 sprocket.

3000 * 11 / 45 = 7333.3 * .00128 = .9386 * 60 = 56.32 mph

real wheel drive activated at aprox 25 mph.

front hub motor will hook to 4 - 12 volt lead. primary motor

rear motor will hook to 2 of these

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16228__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_6S1P_30C_.html

will this work.

I saw some of your graphs drkangel. take at least 4 killowatt for that speed with single motor.

"give her all you got scotty!!" latecurtis out.

Add retrorockets ... if you need to stop.

Might better add an ejection seat and abandon ship!

not shure why he posted this on that build.

Unite Motor MY1020 Permanent Magnet DC
MY1020 48 Volt, 1200 Watt, 3200 RPM, 32 Amp, permanent-magnet motor.
12 gauge power leads with standard 1/4" push-in connectors.
11 tooth sprocket for #25 chain.We took a #25 chain 80-tooth sprocket and slapped it on the opposite side of the original dérailleur on the back hub with some screws and washers.

Top Speed 40 MPH (64 KPH)
40 mph maybe more (too dangerous on mountain bike)
Acceleration is phenomenal on flat land.
UP hills I can get it up to 27 mph in less than 30 seconds.

dont make any sense how he got that much speed. I believe drkangel before I believe him. but kind of hope the guys right. love to see close to 40mph on this build but the guy probley exaggerated. Will find out just what it will do if I ever get this thing togeather. I will be using the 11 tooth and 80 tooth sprocket just like he did. only difference I see is his motor turned 200 rpm faster than mine.and was 1200 watts. my motor is 1000 watts.

latecurtis out.

latecurtis said:

Oh, I am sure why. For one thing. . .

latecurtis said:

That should cover it. I would still think you might have been better off with the 90t sprocket instead of the 80t. Might increase the need for that ejector seat with the 80t.

latecurtis said:
I believe drkangel before I believe him.

But did you vote for him before you voted for him?

latecurtis said:

Unite Motor MY1020 Permanent Magnet DC
MY1020 48 Volt, 1200 Watt, 3200 RPM, 32 Amp, permanent-magnet motor.
12 gauge power leads with standard 1/4" push-in connectors.
11 tooth sprocket for #25 chain.We took a #25 chain 80-tooth sprocket and slapped it on the opposite side of the original dérailleur on the back hub with some screws and washers.

dont make any sense how he got that much speed. I believe drkangel before I believe him. but kind of hope the guys right. love to see close to 40mph on this build but the guy probley exaggerated. Will find out just what it will do if I ever get this thing togeather. I will be using the 11 tooth and 80 tooth sprocket just like he did. only difference I see is his motor turned 200 rpm faster than mine.and was 1200 watts. my motor is 1000 watts.

latecurtis out.
40 mph, for a Mountain Bike, should require about 2250 watts of motor output!

file.php

I can't imagine how his 1200w motor could even come close to that!

See - Motor Output Watts For MPH

From - Speed vs Range
DrkAngel said:
Everyone likes more speed!
Well ... most everyone.

What most don't realize is the cost of more speed.
Pulled from the ebikes.ca simulator, I noted the various ranges supplied at different speeds.

Generic Mountain bike - motor only.
665w peak output motor w/48V 10ah battery = similar to a 24V 450w peak output eZip motor - pushed to 36V 675w peak output motor.

Anyway
10mph = 46 miles range
15mph = 30 miles range
20mph = 20 miles range
25mph = 13 miles range
30mph = 8 miles range

Wow! ... calculator - click click click ... Every 5mph increase in speed decreases range by 33%!

Most are shocked at the affect wind resistance plays.
Wind resistance is the major factor, but road load, tires, drive train etc. also contribute.
4 x 22Ah battery ... but SLA!
New full capacity SLA discharged in 20 hours outputs an actual 100% of rated.
Discharged in 1 hour outputs an actual 61.4% of rated.
Discharged in ½ hour outputs only about 50% of rated.

30mph ...
Do you really want to go 30mph?

1 hour = 13.5Ah = ~25 miles at 20mph - Damn! 100lb of SLA = 9lb of LiCo (Homebuilt eZip pack 25.9V 25.92AH LiPo)
½ hour = 11Ah = ~10 miles at 30mph

40mph, if possible = range would be less than 5 miles!!!

Gearing for higher speed promotes higher speed but cuts range severely.
Worse, if you need to climb hills, it shifts your motors rpm range to a lesser efficient - more damaging range!

was going to just order it today but need to know for shure it is going to fit on a 26" bike wheel on the motor side. and spin in the right direction. It says it is for a scooter and freewheel. Do not want to order any more wrong parts. Please let me know if this is the right sprocket or is it a different sprocket I need. I am going to order the chain and master link today. If it is a different sprocket then please post the link as I looked all over E bay and did not see anything much different.

80 Tooth Rear Sprocket #25, 4-bolt for electric scooter that uses freewheels

$_12.jpg

Also would be willing to waite on this new motor due to the difficulty of mounting it but only if this is the right motor and will fit into the motor case and just bolt up and go. Is this the guts for the exact motor I burned out? if so I will bid up to 40 dollars on it right away. Please let me know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURRIE-TECH-Electro-Drive-Motor-MODEL-XYD-6B-for-Ezip-Currie-Tech-SD-156-/181498495090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a42274072#ht_0wt_0

latecurtis said:
was going to just order it today but need to know for shure it is going to fit on a 26" bike wheel on the motor side. and spin in the right direction. It says it is for a scooter and freewheel. Do not want to order any more wrong parts. Please let me know if this is the right sprocket or is it a different sprocket I need. I am going to order the chain and master link today. If it is a different sprocket then please post the link as I looked all over E bay and did not see anything much different.

80 Tooth Rear Sprocket #25, 4-bolt for electric scooter that uses freewheels

If you are still using the eZip hub ... then you need to remove the old freewheel and replace with ... 80T #25 w/LHS Freewheel

or
Might be able to bolt your pictured sprocket to teeth of old freewheel ... measure?

500w motor is not compatible.

thanks DrkAngel. I have to go eat something I am at the library and my suger is low. will be back in an hour to place an order. my wheel bearings in the 26" currie wheel need replace. if you have a part number for that also it would be great. Also is a place downtown called electric city bike rescue. meets every thursday night at 5:30. Ill get the bearings and sprocket installed there hopefully. I am thinking it would be easier to mount the new motor in the triangle. The way Ed Koth did it sticks out too much. The way I ride it would last about a day before It hits a curb or something. I may have professional help with the motor install.not shure yet. I talked to the guy who upgraded it to 36 volts, yesterday. He agrees with me about the motor placement.
I live in schenectady NY. wish you lived nearby. I would give you some money to help me with the install. I really want to learn. And would like to work on new projects. maby start an electric bike rescue club. I am also into computers. mostly desktops though. built two of my own. another of my hobbies. i am into just about anything electronic. car and home audio. Need 14 credits for an associates degree in electrical technology. screwed up on student loans in 06. will be going back after I get my ssi/ssd. student loan rehibilitation program. not enough income right now as I am on DSS. also forgot a lot.have to do a refresher. Thanks be back in an hour. looking forward to your post. thanks . latecurtis.

#25 sprocket , 5 foot of heavy duty #25 chain and heavy duty # 25 master link ordered .all on the site the sprocket drkangel posted. I have $30 left on card. I am wondering about mounting brackets for motor. lower triangle mid drive left motor side. may have to reverse polarity on motor so the motor gear spins in the right direction as the motor will be facing the opposite direction that was in Ed Koths build. his was rear mount. mine will be mid mounted. There should be a place that sells mid mount brackets for the triangle for such an application. I am checking the forum. It would shure save me a lot of money and grief. even if the brackets would need to be modified slightly to accomidate my motor it beats fabricating a custom bracket from scratch.
custom fabrication would be costly for me as I lack the knowhow and tools to cut and drill thru metal. at least $100 minimum. a $20 or $30 dollar bracket would be much better even if I had to pay $20 to get it modified.

looking and looking no luck . lots of sprocket drives and under the frame mounting but no lower triangle mid drive mounts. I am puzzeled and a little disenchanted. must be missing something. It should be a popular choice as there is so much frame to attach to. It could even be welded but I cant weld.

latecurtis said:
looking and looking no luck . lots of sprocket drives and under the frame mounting but no lower triangle mid drive mounts. I am puzzeled and a little disenchanted. must be missing something. It should be a popular choice as there is so much frame to attach to. It could even be welded but I cant weld.
Motor is too long to fit between pedals anyhow.

planB1p.jpg

finally figured out what I need to do this but dont have the money now. pocket got picked at the library by the dude sitting across from me when I was ordering my sprocket and chain online. either that or I left it on the desk when I got a drink of water. found it on the floor with 40 dollars missing.

no way to finish the build now. lord knows when. got a 230 dollar power bill next month cause I ordered the motor and other parts instead of paying it this month. maby sell my laptop if anybody wants it. rather kill somebody though. friend mike failed miserabley at mounting the motor. dont know what hes doing. plus no hardware,!! need $30 bucks at the hardware store and $40 bucks of my money is probley in some crack dealers pocket.

wrote that few days ago. took the last money out of the olladys bank, totally broke until the first though, soup kitchen and food pantrys till then, also possible divorce. She says I am obsessed with the bike and care more about it than her or my home. lost one of my best friends because he would not help me and just wanted to drink instead. knew him for 8 years. not mike or douge, somebody else. mike got hit by a car and his bike is totalled. he is out of commission awhile. did not bother to go see him. too busey with the bike. trying to get douge to hook up the sprocket and chain. was exactly $30.58 for the hardware I was right on the money cause I got a couple extra nuts and washers.
I dont even know if the new motor will work. had to get threaded rod smaller than the two motor bolts that were in the motor cause home depot did not have bolts long enough. motor only came with two bolts. It needed 4. motor came apart and took an hour to get back togeather. the 4 magnets were extended out and finally figured out how to push them back to slide the center piece in. however there was a little black ring which was all bent to shit and didnt go back in. The magnets got a little scrapped up trying to put it back togeather until I realized they had to slide back. the motor sprocket spins though like it did but havent put power to it yet.

could not mount the motor according to the bluprints i did on paint and photosuite. because the motor sprocket would have been too far back to hook up to the new sprocket. thats why the pictures look like they do cause i was up until 3:30 AM improvising. Do you think maby I could have used a little hands on help from a more experienced ES member?? ok enough with the sarcasim. If this dont work after all that I will be throwing the bike as is into the mowhawk river. That is no joke.

I hope it works though as I am facinated by DC electric motors and would like to learn how to rebuild them. I had the new motor compleatly out of the metal case when I was struggling to get it back togeather. Not a lot of parts. checked out the old motor also. If this works by some miracle I would enjoy maby getting togeather with Drkangel or other ES members in New Your State to do some serious builds.

Need a two passenger electric trike for me and the ol lady if she is still around
A 5 killowatt recumbent also sounds like fun. posting a video. you guys probley already saw it but its my favorite video. Im going to post one like it some day with the song by Disturbed (down with the sickness) playing. I need professional help I am seriously addicted to electric bikes. please help. Can I post the new picture of me as my profile picture. how do I do it. please let me know.

Sincerelly latecurtis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g8BRyLaQgg

found the zoom on my web cam and made the photos a little brighter with photosuite.took these a few minutes ago.

Capture_20140823_1_mpeg1video_0001.jpgCapture_20140823_1_mpeg1video_0003.jpgCapture_20140823_1_mpeg1video_0006.jpgView attachment 4Capture_20140823_2_mpeg1video_0001.jpgCapture_20140823_mpeg1video_0001.jpgCapture_20140823_mpeg1video_0003.jpgCapture_20140823_mpeg1video_0004.jpg

was not happy about the brackets covering half of the ventilation holes but if I drill out the holes it will seriously comprimize the integerity of the brackets. just hope the fan will compensate for it.
would have cost a lot to have a custom bracket with a perfect hole to mount the motor and not block any ventalition holes. cutting torches probley. I did the best I could on the budget I had.
so much for low profile. sticks out at least a foot now with the fan. I guess it is time to take off the back wheel and try and install the new sprocket, still dont have wheel bearings though and the wheel rubbed against the frame do to the bontragger high profile tire and bearings.
The motor seems very stable though and hope that there will be minimum vibration and that the new chain will stay on. I have no idea how to install the new chain however and hope to get some help from my friend douge. If everything goes well my next post will have a video of me on the bike cruising at about 20 mph or more. may be awhile though. how do i hook the fan up? I am running 36 volts and the fan is 12 volts. Do I just wire it up to one of the batteries. will it work with the batteries running in series to hook to one of them and install an on and off switch. fan is very important do to the limited ventalliation holes. dont want to burn out another motor. It may be awhile before its up and running. Please let me know from the pictures if anybody thinks it will work. thanks latecurtis out.

you really need to stop spending money on this if it is your last dollars.

you should have just bot a used hubmotor and controller from someone here and used that so you could have had a useful source of power for the bike.

tried to tell you that a long time ago before this guy led you down this path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back