Perth to Sydney by ebike 2013 - ride diary

Nothing's like celebrating the 1000k mark with an dare.

Keep up the photos especially the ones in the resturants.

Good to see the wheels holding up.

You maybe able to get spokes from sports power in esperence.

http://ezeebiketouring.tumblr.com/

Just rolled in to Munglinup roadhouse for a lunch stop, we've done 80km in good conditions, 12:20pm now, 12.8Ah used (490Wh).

Chris' parents drove past as promised and stopped for a chat, made us tea and took some heavy gear from WW Ching to help save his wheel till Esperance. Very kind and great to have a bit of company after long stretches on the road.

lol, the parents finally came through!
Great photos on the other blog too guys, I can't believe you have hit the 1000km already, quite an achievement, and really shows the potential, or should I say reality of electric.

One question, how are the bikes handling the rain, motors? wiring?

Nanoha said:
To do cell surgery, you'll need a tab welder as well
technically, but you could solder them at a pinch. As long as there's a bit of tab and you scratch it up you'd be OK. But this is all about outback bush mechanic hacks :p
Hell, if I was really stranded and it meant having to pedal the rest of the journey I'd perform a next level maneuver, carefully removing a fully charged main power cap from a spare charger short that into the tab to weld it, then solder it back into place with that gas soldering iron I'm also carrying :lol:

Hooray, Chris' fabled parents finally arrive, and come to the rescue!
If you could rely on bumping into friendly people in caravans, motorhomes and the like you could get a fast charge in with a powerful 10S RC charger off their 12v system.
Wait until Justin's sweet new chargers hit the market shortly, I'm sure they'll make a welcome light weight addition to your next adventure

@Hyena

I did consider bringing our gas soldering iron, but many faults can be fixed by repairing connectors, replacing wiring, using terminal blocks etc. For bigger problems we'd swap out a whole component and camp out a few days while express post works it's magic. We're lucky to have the bike shop to back us up and send things out as required, which does reduce what we might otherwise carry.

@mvly

250-300km a day is possible from a battery/charging perspective but you really need to be prepared for the challenge of saddle time...eg extremely sore sit bones. If you do go for it, energy dense batteries are much more important than high C rate cells. My 2 kWh of batteries weighs 16kg and I wouldn't want to carry much more with all the rest of the gear, food and water needed.

Backup devices are just 1 spare controller and EAF (restive POT that plugs into throttle connector for cruise control). All our batteries and chargers are 'backups' in a sense because we have multiple but while they're all working, we're using them all.

Speeds depend on the conditions, 20-25km/h average so quite a few hours in the saddle when the days approach 200km.

Saddle recommendations, I'm using a WTB gel saddle that comes standard on the Vivente World Randonneur and it's OK so far but I'm considering swapping out for my more expensive but comfortable Selle SMP Evolution. The classic touring choice is a Brooks leather saddle but I've never owned or ridden on one extensively.

@maramusa

Bikes are doing well overall. Issues are:
*spokes on cargo bike rear wheel
*disk brake pads trashed from sandy/muddy/rainy riding

Motors and wiring etc all good for the moment. Motor wiring exits towards and the wire forms a 'drip loop' before heading up the fork, so most water is kept out. Wiring connectors are all backed with hot glue, heatshrinked and then heat shrink over the mated connectors (standard practice on eZeebikes) so water resistance is quite good.

Electric problems so far... condensation behind cycle anayst screen and Garmin screen. The old CA V2 on Maurice's bike has intermittent buttons from water ingress. My Garmin Edge 305's buttons stopped working today so I couldn't stop/start the ride recording. It goes to show that some elec issues can present a few days after rain, as water works its way into things.

Ok, enough posting from the tent in the dark for me tonight :p
No need to set the alarm clock for tomorrow's rest day so I'm going to enjoy sleeping in!

Cheers, Abraham

Hey guys. I am currently in WA driving around the south coast before heading up the west coast.

On Friday i past 3 cyclists with hub motors on their bikes in the middle of nowhere just outside Ravensthorpe and vaguely remembered some guys from this forum were on this quest. I am kicking myself for not turning around and chatting to you. i even had cold beers in the esky.

It is a hard slog in a car, I can only imagine what you guys are going through. Good luck with the rest of the journey.

Shame to have missed the chance to chat Shorza but if we make to Melbourne we might get another chance.

Woke up to the sound of rain on the tent and outside we found our chargers and batteries in a puddle. :shock:

Dragged them into the under cover area and its all good except one charger which is tripping the RCD and hopefully just needs more time to dry.

Our plans to explore Esperance by bike (sans heavy gear) today are on hold and fingers crossed thing clear up!

Lets hope the rain clears. Maybe you're best moving into a room for the night to help dry yourselves and gear out. Don't forget to post plenty of pics were all enjoying them. I'm currently charging the white Phasor up for a ride in between showers. Riding up to Joondalup so will post up a vid to nite on the Phasor thread.

Edit: 1.7pm Perth time, it may be rain the you're all still smiling.

Cut and paste from Maurice's phone below. Ching doesn't look that happy

This is Ching’s first night in a tent in his life! And what a tiny tent it is, just bigger than coffin size

Rodney64 said:
Cut and paste from Maurice's phone below. Ching doesn't look that happy

This is Ching’s first night in a tent in his life! And what a tiny tent it is, just bigger than coffin size

Yes we had no idea that he wasn't a seasoned trekking tent user. During his ride in Africa big safari tents were set up so perhaps he was imagining something like this:
Safari-Tent.jpg

The single person super light weight tent was a bit of a shock with no room to move in the mummy sleeping bag either :lol:

haha what's he complaining about, I thought you'd be sleeping in single swags like this

rays-outdoors-wild-country-bluegum-dome-single-swag.jpg

There's plenty of Aussie outback ahead to make a jolly swagman of Ching yet :lol:

Hyena said:
haha what's he complaining about, I thought you'd be sleeping in single swags...
That looks like some sort of luxury swag!

If we downsize from the single person tent, it would be to something much more basic (sans chix)
sleeping+in+swags.jpg

The problem with the swag is it weighs far more then a light trekking tent, sleeping bag and thermarest air mat combined and takes up far more space too. On my bike, sleeping bag and mat only fill 1 front pannier bag 3/4 full and the tent sits easily on my top rack above the second battery wired in parallel to the battery sitting vertically behind the seat.

voicecoils said:
Hyena said:
haha what's he complaining about, I thought you'd be sleeping in single swags...
That looks like some sort of luxury swag!

If we downsize from the single person tent, it would be to something much more basic (sans chix)
sleeping+in+swags.jpg

The problem with the swag is it weighs far more then a light trekking tent, sleeping bag and thermarest air mat combined and takes up far more space too. On my bike, sleeping bag and mat only fill 1 front pannier bag 3/4 full and the tent sits easily on my top rack above the second battery wired in parallel to the battery sitting vertically behind the seat.

You must have had a long nite. Obviously this crowd kept u aware. Chings not smiling so he must have not got a lot of sleep.

Spokes arrived finally 9am in esperance so we headed straight off. At Salmon Gums now, just over 100km in on the way to Norsman. Stopped for a late lunch, partial recharge and putting the spokes in.

Will be a long night ride in to Norseman. Will update then or early tomorrow.

EDIT:

Just for completeness, I'll add the rest days:

Day 9 - Rest day Esperance

Day 10 - Rest Day Esperance with 45 km ride to Esperance wind farm (included in total kilometer count)

Good to see you are on your way again
7D27F9DE-AD2E-44B3-B433-114B946522BA-2805-00000239DB9FDD9E.jpg

We picked up our replacement spokes (thanks glow worm!) this morning from esperance. With 200km to Norseman and a big side wind there was no time to spare so we chose to ride half way and change the spokes while topping up batteries. Ebike multi tasking! Almost ready to do the last 100km to Norseman, from sunset to pitch dark.

78B67277-CA38-4C6A-AA02-C4D07FC1C929-2805-00000239DD61E34C.jpg

Riding while eating Nutella sandwiches and Maurice was riding while taking photos and updating the blog!

We rolled into Norseman at 9:30pm, phew a long day but glad to arrive without running out of juice. Sore and tired, straight to bed with no dinner. Still happy to be on an Ebike adventure though!

Distance today was just over 200km, I'll have to check Ching's speedo tomorrow since my Cycle Analyst's reed switch failed yesterday.

Stats:

Day 11: Esperance to Norseman, 214 km (1430 km to date)

53.98 ah
1944.3 wh
62.5 ave rpm

Good move. Balladonia is only another 200 km away...

voicecoils said:
Riding while eating Nutella sandwiches and Maurice was riding while taking photos and updating the blog!
Who said blokes can't multitask!
Wait until the roads get even straighter and flatter, you could probably throw a bar between 2 of the bikes and sit back with both hands blogging, then have a nap :lol:

I was going to ask what you guys do to pass the time.
I expect you'd pretty quickly get sick of talking about the weather :lol:
A well stocked MP3 player ?
Maurice dreaming of what lies ahead that he can suspend himself from or balance on ? :p

Bummer about the reed switch. That's why I like getting a speed signal from the halls.

The Nullarbor starts in this little town
Our latest electric bike epic!
Glowwormbicycles.com.au/perth-to-sydney
Norseman!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 00:46
glowwormbicycles
Made it to Norseman just before the pub shut. A 200km day including picking up spokes at 9am, installing them at lunch and riding till 9:30pm. Nice to have 36 spokes back in that rear wheel!

8B14CE79-3FF0-486E-877D-EAFFA245BEA2-229-0000001A5A0B81EB.jpg

08C2DB45-9FF4-4538-9EFB-8F46B2F45C77-229-0000001A596EF1A6.jpg

9BCDBCBA-D4C0-4772-9BFF-87CFA74477B6-229-0000001A576DD064.jpg

90488D2B-4761-4750-B8A1-714705698086-229-0000001A55245999.jpg

Hard to believe you guys are there already! Well done.

Are you used to the scent of dead Kangaroo yet?
I remember driving through there and being able to pick up that sweet, sweet skippy's-just-sleeping smell a few hundred metres out.
That was the middle of Summer though.

Back