Prodeco Phantom X2

I am just looking over the Prodeco website Rob/Daniel.

I see some very reasonable looking models. I can think of several relatives/friends/ acquaintances who want prebuilt ebikes that these might be suited for. I get a lot of interest in my home made ebikes but most people need something they can buy.

One suggestion - it would be nice to see an off the shelf affordable recumbent e-bike.

On the website - I know some folks think it is a small thing, but I see a lot of errors in the area of electrical units. This really makes the site look less than it could be. I know there is a lot of effort in the site and it really shows, but a little more attention to getting these small details right would improve the professional and quality image of the company and cause less confusion among buyers.

A quick units checklist:

Chargers can be rated in volts and amps. Never amp hours. Time to charge is hours, that is fine. To say a 2 amp charger is "2 amp hours" is meaningless because it depends how long it is charging.

Motors can be rated in volts, amps and watts. Never amp hours or watt hours.

Batteries can be rated in volts, amp hours and watt hours. They can have a maximum amp and watt draw ratings as well. But capacity is not amps or watts. Things like "xx watts of energy stored in the battery" are not right.

A question - On the website some models are quoted as having "free spinning motors". Are these are geared hubmotors with the usual freewheel internal clutch for easy pedaling when the motor is off? These seem to be the 250-300 watt models. The 500 watt models say they are direct drive hubmotors, so that is clear.

Thanks,

Alan B said:
I am just looking over the Prodeco website Rob/Daniel.

I see some very reasonable looking models. I can think of several relatives/friends/ acquaintances who want prebuilt ebikes that these might be suited for. I get a lot of interest in my home made ebikes but most people need something they can buy.

One suggestion - it would be nice to see an off the shelf affordable recumbent e-bike.

On the website - I know some folks think it is a small thing, but I see a lot of errors in the area of electrical units. This really makes the site look less than it could be. I know there is a lot of effort in the site and it really shows, but a little more attention to getting these small details right would improve the professional and quality image of the company and cause less confusion among buyers.

A quick units checklist:

Chargers can be rated in volts and amps. Never amp hours. Time to charge is hours, that is fine. To say a 2 amp charger is "2 amp hours" is meaningless because it depends how long it is charging.

Motors can be rated in volts, amps and watts. Never amp hours or watt hours.

Batteries can be rated in volts, amp hours and watt hours. They can have a maximum amp and watt draw ratings as well. But capacity is not amps or watts. Things like "xx watts of energy stored in the battery" are not right.

A question - On the website some models are quoted as having "free spinning motors". Are these are geared hubmotors with the usual freewheel internal clutch for easy pedaling when the motor is off? These seem to be the 250-300 watt models. The 500 watt models say they are direct drive hubmotors, so that is clear.

Thanks,

PRODECO TECHNOLOGIES RESPONSE: This is Rob Provost, the website was never reviewed by me because we recently hired a new writer to completely re-write the website. They have been studying our company very closely and I will review that wording. You are 100% right that a company is only as strong as the smallest detail and if we are not 100% accurate and consistent, it could look very bad. This week I will however review the website and have each area involving the explanation and details of the electronics to be accurate. I made an error myself just a few days ago leaving hours out a few times when speaking of battery capacity. In regards to motors and watts and studying the consumption on the battery, we formulize using watts hours but we should not state that when specifying the motor. In other words, if the motor is 200 Watts, the nominal consumption is 200W per hour, sort of like a light bulb but we should never include watt hours when describing the motor. Did that make sense? But only using that to figure what your battery capacity will allow for distance. We have tested multiple motors around the world, controllers and various battery types. The numbers always come out the same and the formulas are always the same regardless of the manufacturer as long as everything is specified correctly. There is however loss for efficiences, just not dramatic between brands. What we have noticed over and over throughout the years though is the Manganese and Cobalt cell batteries deteriorate rapidly. A few years ago we used only Lithium Manganese then switched to Lithium cobalt and had constant issues. They would not produce the distance according to capacity after the first 2 months of use. That was why we swicthed to LiFEPO4 and now have no issues. The Managanese and Cobalt if sitting for a long time gave reduced numbers.

If the chargers were listed as Amp hours, that is wrong. I know I previously explained if a charger is charging at 2 Amps, it will give 2 Amps of capacity in 1 hour, which is correct. All energy is calculated by hour. If a battery is 9Ah and the charger is 2 Amps, it will charge the battery in 4.5 hours. It is the way to figure how long it takes to charge a battery and vice versa to how long a battery will last. The writer however should not state the specs of the charger as Amps per hour and only Amps.

In regards to Battery wattage, they have to be listed as battery capacity wattage. That is the only way to list and how batteries are regulated for shipping. It is now a Federal Law all lithium batteries shipping have to have a label with the total wattage capacity which is calculated by multiplying the volts by amps. Federal Express explains it well in their dangerouse goods section. Every lithium battery must be measured by complete capacity and based on this number and how many grams of lithium in the battery decides on the classification of how to ship. You will see more and more batteries have this information on them. Everyone of our batteries states total capacity but not just because we want to, it is required. We had a shipment grounded in Kentucky because it did not list the total capacity on the battery. We also had to have anyone handling the battery which was around 15 people take a training course. On top of that we have to always have 2 certified lithium shippers on the premisis with special training. In regards to battery Amps, yes, there are 2 numbers. An example is the Ah for one of our batteries is 9Ah and at 38.4V it will produce 9 Amps for the hour. If the motor consumers 9 Amps of current at 36V, the battery will die in 1 hour. 9 Amps at 36V is equal to 324 Watts (9 x 324) so the motor is running at 324 Watts and consuming 324 watts per hour. The battery however can handle 3 X the Ah and will output 27 Amps if needed, so the battery has an effective output of 27 Amps if needed. If the controller is 20 Amps, the 27 are not needed and the controller at it's peak will consume max 20 Amps. The battery management board also governs the output of the cells and we limit to 3C and the batteries are also rated at 3C. There is a noticeable difference for example on a 300W geared motor if we switch the 36V 14A controller for 36V 20A. The motor will now peak much higher and the bike performs differently but distance is also diminished. The power comes off the line and not on top end. Since we limit through the hall sensors dirteclty in the motor the RPM of the motor, a higher Amp controller does not affect the top speed unless up against the wind, incline or heavy person where the 14A was not enough and the motor had to peak to a higer wattage to push the rider along.

The website design: This past year as most people can tell, we put little effort and resources into our website and used an outside company. All our resources went to building the bikes. Now that we recently sold part of the company to a VC group, we will be redoing our website once again and bringing in new inhouse talent to do it.

In regards to the recumbent, in our R & D department, one of the guys is exactly doing that for one of the wheel builders. He has a recumbent and wanted it to be electric so they are doing a special outfitting on it. We have done this with many types of bikes including a 7 foot low profile long sloping cruiser.

In regards to the motors free spinning and geared. Most all geared hub motors are free spinning but in 2011 all our bikes had friction drives and no gear motors at all. The friction drive uses 3 wheels similar to gears but friction is caused by the pressure of a steel ring around the wheels. Since there were no gears and the motors spun completely free just like a sealed bearing hub, we called them "free spinning" and the size was much smaller. We discontinue using them this year due to a failure rate of 6%. Through R & D they tested incredible but in real life, the riders who preferred not to pedal along placed strain on them, especially throttling hard off the line while on an incline. They were just not good for throttle bikes and the steel ring would crack. For 2013, we are using this technology again but on a pedal assist only bike which weighs 35lbs. The motor has been enhanced and the controller is inside the motor also so nobody can mess around with trying to over power the motor by using a higher Amp controller. All our 250 - 300 bikes now have geared motors but the gears are 20% larger than specified for almost all other hub motors. We have a ZERO failure rate on the Gears and almost a ZERO on the complete motor. The 500W is direct drive and we have a 1.5% failure rate. All motors have 2 year warranty and we require 3 year from our supplier of the motors. In the industry, most 500W direct drive motors are almost the same, an run in the efficiency of 82-85%. There is a different in construction though and some motor companies have a production line with 1 year warranty motors and another line for 3 year warranty motors. Some companies only produce the 1 year while other companies only prduce the 3 year. There is also a difference in the free spinning characteristics of a geared motor. Some definitley spin much more freely than others and we are very careful about this. For a direct drive motor, due to the magnets placed on the inside of the hub and the stators being the axle, there is no way to have them spin freely and a workout if the battery was to die. On a side note, if a battery was to die on a direct drive motor, if the rider disconnected the motor, the bike pedals much easier since nothing is attache to the motor and drawing power from it. The motor becomes a dynamo when the battery is off and whatever requires power such as the controller, throttle, lights, the motor will start powering it. A perfect example is I myself assisted at the beginning in lacing wheels. If we had a 500W motor on a stand to lace the spokes, the motor would have a somewhat easy spin to it. If we shorted the wires, the motor would be very difficult to spin. By wires, I mean the disconnect wire at the motor. By the way, 4 years ago our company was the originator of the brass pin disconnect at the motor. We were developing a disconnect and shocked nobody in the industry ever thought about a small multipin disconnect at the motor, at least not for hall sensor motors. We decided to use an off the shelf brass 9 pin connector that would handle 25 Amps, only 8 pins were needed but there was no such thing as an 8 pin at the time. The connector had the 3 low gauge wires we also needed along with 6 higher gauge. We displayed it at Interbike in 2009, within 1 year, everybody started copying it and now it has become an industry standard. It use to be a nightmare to change a flat and we were wondering for all those years why was everyone connecting the motor directly to the controller with no disconnect in between for flats or easy motor repairs. That was example of why our theme is "electric bikes that make sense..." and how we say we want to revolutionize the industry.

Thank you for post and comments. I apologize if I wrote so much but as you can tell, I have a lot to say usually. Most people can't keep me quite and I run around here 7 days a week 14 hours a day always talking and I LOVE electric bikes. They are my passion.

Daniel said:

PRODECO TECHNOLOGIES RESPONSE: This is Rob Provost, the website was never reviewed by me because we recently hired a new writer to completely re-write the website. They have been studying our company very closely and I will review that wording. You are 100% right that a company is only as strong as the smallest detail and if we are not 100% accurate and consistent, it could look very bad. This week I will however review the website and have each area involving the explanation and details of the electronics to be accurate. I made an error myself just a few days ago leaving hours out a few times when speaking of battery capacity. In regards to motors and watts and studying the consumption on the battery, we formulize using watts hours but we should not state that when specifying the motor. In other words, if the motor is 200 Watts, the nominal consumption is 200W per hour, sort of like a light bulb but we should never include watt hours when describing the motor. Did that make sense? But only using that to figure what your battery capacity will allow for distance. We have tested multiple motors around the world, controllers and various battery types. The numbers always come out the same and the formulas are always the same regardless of the manufacturer as long as everything is specified correctly. There is however loss for efficiences, just not dramatic between brands. What we have noticed over and over throughout the years though is the Manganese and Cobalt cell batteries deteriorate rapidly. A few years ago we used only Lithium Manganese then switched to Lithium cobalt and had constant issues. They would not produce the distance according to capacity after the first 2 months of use. That was why we swicthed to LiFEPO4 and now have no issues. The Managanese and Cobalt if sitting for a long time gave reduced numbers.

If the chargers were listed as Amp hours, that is wrong. I know I previously explained if a charger is charging at 2 Amps, it will give 2 Amps of capacity in 1 hour, which is correct. All energy is calculated by hour. If a battery is 9Ah and the charger is 2 Amps, it will charge the battery in 4.5 hours. It is the way to figure how long it takes to charge a battery and vice versa to how long a battery will last. The writer however should not state the specs of the charger as Amps per hour and only Amps.

In regards to Battery wattage, they have to be listed as battery capacity wattage. That is the only way to list and how batteries are regulated for shipping. It is now a Federal Law all lithium batteries shipping have to have a label with the total wattage capacity which is calculated by multiplying the volts by amps. Federal Express explains it well in their dangerouse goods section. Every lithium battery must be measured by complete capacity and based on this number and how many grams of lithium in the battery decides on the classification of how to ship. You will see more and more batteries have this information on them. Everyone of our batteries states total capacity but not just because we want to, it is required. We had a shipment grounded in Kentucky because it did not list the total capacity on the battery. We also had to have anyone handling the battery which was around 15 people take a training course. On top of that we have to always have 2 certified lithium shippers on the premisis with special training. In regards to battery Amps, yes, there are 2 numbers. An example is the Ah for one of our batteries is 9Ah and at 38.4V it will produce 9 Amps for the hour. If the motor consumers 9 Amps of current at 36V, the battery will die in 1 hour. 9 Amps at 36V is equal to 324 Watts (9 x 324) so the motor is running at 324 Watts and consuming 324 watts per hour. The battery however can handle 3 X the Ah and will output 27 Amps if needed, so the battery has an effective output of 27 Amps if needed. If the controller is 20 Amps, the 27 are not needed and the controller at it's peak will consume max 20 Amps. The battery management board also governs the output of the cells and we limit to 3C and the batteries are also rated at 3C. There is a noticeable difference for example on a 300W geared motor if we switch the 36V 14A controller for 36V 20A. The motor will now peak much higher and the bike performs differently but distance is also diminished. The power comes off the line and not on top end. Since we limit through the hall sensors dirteclty in the motor the RPM of the motor, a higher Amp controller does not affect the top speed unless up against the wind, incline or heavy person where the 14A was not enough and the motor had to peak to a higer wattage to push the rider along.

The website design: This past year as most people can tell, we put little effort and resources into our website and used an outside company. All our resources went to building the bikes. Now that we recently sold part of the company to a VC group, we will be redoing our website once again and bringing in new inhouse talent to do it.

In regards to the recumbent, in our R & D department, one of the guys is exactly doing that for one of the wheel builders. He has a recumbent and wanted it to be electric so they are doing a special outfitting on it. We have done this with many types of bikes including a 7 foot low profile long sloping cruiser.

In regards to the motors free spinning and geared. Most all geared hub motors are free spinning but in 2011 all our bikes had friction drives and no gear motors at all. The friction drive uses 3 wheels similar to gears but friction is caused by the pressure of a steel ring around the wheels. Since there were no gears and the motors spun completely free just like a sealed bearing hub, we called them "free spinning" and the size was much smaller. We discontinue using them this year due to a failure rate of 6%. Through R & D they tested incredible but in real life, the riders who preferred not to pedal along placed strain on them, especially throttling hard off the line while on an incline. They were just not good for throttle bikes and the steel ring would crack. For 2013, we are using this technology again but on a pedal assist only bike which weighs 35lbs. The motor has been enhanced and the controller is inside the motor also so nobody can mess around with trying to over power the motor by using a higher Amp controller. All our 250 - 300 bikes now have geared motors but the gears are 20% larger than specified for almost all other hub motors. We have a ZERO failure rate on the Gears and almost a ZERO on the complete motor. The 500W is direct drive and we have a 1.5% failure rate. All motors have 2 year warranty and we require 3 year from our supplier of the motors. In the industry, most 500W direct drive motors are almost the same, an run in the efficiency of 82-85%. There is a different in construction though and some motor companies have a production line with 1 year warranty motors and another line for 3 year warranty motors. Some companies only produce the 1 year while other companies only prduce the 3 year. There is also a difference in the free spinning characteristics of a geared motor. Some definitley spin much more freely than others and we are very careful about this. For a direct drive motor, due to the magnets placed on the inside of the hub and the stators being the axle, there is no way to have them spin freely and a workout if the battery was to die. On a side note, if a battery was to die on a direct drive motor, if the rider disconnected the motor, the bike pedals much easier since nothing is attache to the motor and drawing power from it. The motor becomes a dynamo when the battery is off and whatever requires power such as the controller, throttle, lights, the motor will start powering it. A perfect example is I myself assisted at the beginning in lacing wheels. If we had a 500W motor on a stand to lace the spokes, the motor would have a somewhat easy spin to it. If we shorted the wires, the motor would be very difficult to spin. By wires, I mean the disconnect wire at the motor. By the way, 4 years ago our company was the originator of the brass pin disconnect at the motor. We were developing a disconnect and shocked nobody in the industry ever thought about a small multipin disconnect at the motor, at least not for hall sensor motors. We decided to use an off the shelf brass 9 pin connector that would handle 25 Amps, only 8 pins were needed but there was no such thing as an 8 pin at the time. The connector had the 3 low gauge wires we also needed along with 6 higher gauge. We displayed it at Interbike in 2009, within 1 year, everybody started copying it and now it has become an industry standard. It use to be a nightmare to change a flat and we were wondering for all those years why was everyone connecting the motor directly to the controller with no disconnect in between for flats or easy motor repairs. That was example of why our theme is "electric bikes that make sense..." and how we say we want to revolutionize the industry.

Thank you for post and comments. I apologize if I wrote so much but as you can tell, I have a lot to say usually. Most people can't keep me quite and I run around here 7 days a week 14 hours a day always talking and I LOVE electric bikes. They are my passion.

We share a passion about electric bikes. http://www.AlansEbikes.com

Thanks for the detailed response and information about battery shipping and the motor types and failure rates. Failures make everyone unhappy and it is good to hear you are making improvements there. Battery shipping is another area we all struggle with that affects our ebikes in a big way.

Best of luck going forward and let us know when the new models are out. A little announcement here when the website is updated and you might get some free feedback on the site update, too. :)

cmugler said:
I have no information on the 2012 models other than what is on the website and it won't be until December that I receive my first 2012 order but will ask Steve about the battery weight and motor origin next time I talk with him. The direct drive motor is much quieter than the Ezee geared kits that I also sell. The motor may be discernable if you focus on listening but generally very quiet. The most striking aspect of riding this is how smooth it is and with the oversize tires and shocks it handles rough pavement and bumps with confidence and the disk brakes are quiet,smooth and effective . I did have to do a minor adjustment on the front disk brake but everything else worked properly right out of the box. Have not tried it off pavement yet but think it would do well. Tomorrow I will get it out for a 20 mile spin. I live in the hills above Santa Barbara so anywhere I go entails a few steep climbs.

Hi guys, this is Rob Provost again. Today I will get my own screen name for Endless Sphere instead of using Damiels but I seen this question and figured I would answer. By the way, Cmugler is a good dealer and if anyone in Santa Barbara wants a Prodeco Technologies bike, this is the dealer to go to. He is one of those dealers who order ahead and sell what he has in stock. He does not build to order so he has inventory on hand which is preferred.

In regards the weight of the motor, it is 13 lbs. The 9Ah battery is 7 lbs 5 oz, the 12Ah is 9 lbs 5 oz. For the 48V, the weights are the same but the battery is a 51.2V 9Ah versus a 38.4V 12Ah, both batteries are 460 Watt capacity. The warranty is 2 years on both.

As far as who produces the motor for us. The motor is similar to the 9C, which most 500W ebike motors are. We did not develop the motor and only had it manufactured to our specifications. The supplier is a small company we have worked with for some time and became good friends with outside of business. They stand behind the motor with a 3 year warranty. The warranty is from the production date and why we offer 2 years. They are in Asia but as mentioned it is built to our specifications. We have looked for USA motor manufacturers but they all moved overseas. For 2013 bikes we wanted a precise fit due to the motor being tight for 2012 in the dropouts. We had the axle moved by 3mm to allow a better adjustment of the brakes and allow the use 3.5mm washers/spacers at the dropouts to avoid digging the alloy with the inside of the axle. The outside of the dropouts also have full stainless steel plates mimicking the outline of the dropout which not only also protects digging the alloy but spreads the torque of the axle through the dropout with 2 additional bolts holding the stainless steel plates in place. They also will never allow a spin out of the dropout even if the nuts are loose. We like this design better than a torque arm and I believe we are one of the first to do it this way.

When R & D was looking for our motor supplier, most motor manufacturers did not believe in our brass pin disconnect. This company believed in it and worked with us on it. The disconnect has been copied by almost every motor company out there since but we were the first who implemented it years ago for hall sensor motors.

Currently we also have been talking with Heinzmann on a new motor they are developing. We will be using this new Heinzmann motor but only specific bikes. The motor is not available yet but will for next season. We also have another bike in development coming out with a motor that has a built in 2 speed transmission and built in torque sensor. It is from one of the largest component makers in the world and we are excited to partner with them on this bike. The dropout had to be specifically molded and the brake will have a 190mm disc rotor. The motor will be available as an after market product also through them I believe next year.

For the past 3 years we have worked with a few companies on developing our own unique motor. We were very close this year until the partner company we were working with, became greedy. We ended the relationship and now looking for a new partner to develop a new Prodeco Technologies motor. This year, the current 500W and 750W we utilize may have revisions that we have been working on. The only downside we have ever seen of the current 500W motors in the industry today with a price under $200 is the balancing. The balancing is offset by the spokes regardless but nonetheless we want to have no balance issues that have to be offset by spokes. Most all 500W direct drive motors have the stator as the axle, the magnets are aligned inside the wall of the hub and there are 2 covers with pressed in sealed bearings. The slightlest misalignment of the bearings can put the motor out of balance and this is usually compensated by balancing the wheel itself through the spokes. It goes unoticeable and not considered an issue and there is no problem with performance but we are perfectionist and want it perfectly balanced prior to lacing the spokes and rim. We believe there should be double bearings on each side for a total of 4 bearings. This will decrease the possibility of the motor coming out of balance. The covers of the motor we are looking to CNC instead of coming from a mold. The hub itself can be molded but the actual covers/shells should be done by a CNC machine from a block of alloy for a precise measurement. Then each shell side will have an internal and external bearing for a perfectly smooth ride. The last revision would be to further seal the motor to be waterproof instead of just water resistant. We have noticed some riders seem to like to go under water.

On brake adjustments, we do painstakingly adjust every bike before they leave. There is a station for each production line that not only adjust the brakes and derailleur but re-checks all the troque settings on each bolt. How the bike may become out of adjusment is believed to be caused by the trip to a dealer or consumer through freight. The box can get tossed around a little too much. A new bike when taken out of the box should usually have someone review for adjustments. Even cable stretch will require an adjustment at some point. The Promax 715 brakes we use recently had the actuation increased and a bigger space between the pads. We worked with Promax on this revision. This should help the brakes to require less adjusting. For 2013 we are swicthing to Avid BB5, BB7 and Elixir Hydraulic brakes. Another change to help adjusting was for the 500W bikes, we switched to Post Mount brakes for the front instead of IS Mount. One last change was changing the rotors. The larger the rotor, the more flex and misalignment. We decreased rotor size to 180 but upgraded to HS1 Avid rotors for all models and HSX for the Phantoms. The Outlaws however will still have 200mm rotors but HS1 rotors. Everyone will see an improvement in braking for our 2013 bikes. Brake pads are also still FREE for the life of the bike. If anyone wore their brake pads down, as long as the bike was registered, we send them out for free. We even pay postage so it is not one of those free but pay shipping deals. The brake pads and shipping cost the consumer ZERO. We hope the rider does not take advantage and requires pads no more than once per year, otherwise we believe they may be selling them, haha.

I may have once again wrote too much for a simple few questions. I get carried away. Rob Provost, CEO, Prodeco Technologies

Daniel said:

Hi guys, this is Rob Provost again. Today I will get my own screen name for Endless Sphere instead of using Damiels but I seen this question and figured I would answer. By the way, Cmugler is a good dealer and if anyone in Santa Barbara wants a Prodeco Technologies bike, this is the dealer to go to. He is one of those dealers who order ahead and sell what he has in stock. He does not build to order so he has inventory on hand which is preferred.

In regards the weight of the motor, it is 13 lbs. The 9Ah battery is 7 lbs 5 oz, the 12Ah is 9 lbs 5 oz. For the 48V, the weights are the same but the battery is a 51.2V 9Ah versus a 38.4V 12Ah, both batteries are 460 Watt capacity. The warranty is 2 years on both.

As far as who produces the motor for us. The motor is similar to the 9C, which most 500W ebike motors are. We did not develop the motor and only had it manufactured to our specifications. The supplier is a small company we have worked with for some time and became good friends with outside of business. They stand behind the motor with a 3 year warranty. The warranty is from the production date and why we offer 2 years. They are in Asia but as mentioned it is built to our specifications. We have looked for USA motor manufacturers but they all moved overseas. For 2013 bikes we wanted a precise fit due to the motor being tight for 2012 in the dropouts. We had the axle moved by 3mm to allow a better adjustment of the brakes and allow the use 3.5mm washers/spacers at the dropouts to avoid digging the alloy with the inside of the axle. The outside of the dropouts also have full stainless steel plates mimicking the outline of the dropout which not only also protects digging the alloy but spreads the torque of the axle through the dropout with 2 additional bolts holding the stainless steel plates in place. They also will never allow a spin out of the dropout even if the nuts are loose. We like this design better than a torque arm and I believe we are one of the first to do it this way.

When R & D was looking for our motor supplier, most motor manufacturers did not believe in our brass pin disconnect. This company believed in it and worked with us on it. The disconnect has been copied by almost every motor company out there since but we were the first who implemented it years ago for hall sensor motors.

Currently we also have been talking with Heinzmann on a new motor they are developing. We will be using this new Heinzmann motor but only specific bikes. The motor is not available yet but will for next season. We also have another bike in development coming out with a motor that has a built in 2 speed transmission and built in torque sensor. It is from one of the largest component makers in the world and we are excited to partner with them on this bike. The dropout had to be specifically molded and the brake will have a 190mm disc rotor. The motor will be available as an after market product also through them I believe next year.

For the past 3 years we have worked with a few companies on developing our own unique motor. We were very close this year until the partner company we were working with, became greedy. We ended the relationship and now looking for a new partner to develop a new Prodeco Technologies motor. This year, the current 500W and 750W we utilize may have revisions that we have been working on. The only downside we have ever seen of the current 500W motors in the industry today with a price under $200 is the balancing. The balancing is offset by the spokes regardless but nonetheless we want to have no balance issues that have to be offset by spokes. Most all 500W direct drive motors have the stator as the axle, the magnets are aligned inside the wall of the hub and there are 2 covers with pressed in sealed bearings. The slightlest misalignment of the bearings can put the motor out of balance and this is usually compensated by balancing the wheel itself through the spokes. It goes unoticeable and not considered an issue and there is no problem with performance but we are perfectionist and want it perfectly balanced prior to lacing the spokes and rim. We believe there should be double bearings on each side for a total of 4 bearings. This will decrease the possibility of the motor coming out of balance. The covers of the motor we are looking to CNC instead of coming from a mold. The hub itself can be molded but the actual covers/shells should be done by a CNC machine from a block of alloy for a precise measurement. Then each shell side will have an internal and external bearing for a perfectly smooth ride. The last revision would be to further seal the motor to be waterproof instead of just water resistant. We have noticed some riders seem to like to go under water.

On brake adjustments, we do painstakingly adjust every bike before they leave. There is a station for each production line that not only adjust the brakes and derailleur but re-checks all the troque settings on each bolt. How the bike may become out of adjusment is believed to be caused by the trip to a dealer or consumer through freight. The box can get tossed around a little too much. A new bike when taken out of the box should usually have someone review for adjustments. Even cable stretch will require an adjustment at some point. The Promax 715 brakes we use recently had the actuation increased and a bigger space between the pads. We worked with Promax on this revision. This should help the brakes to require less adjusting. For 2013 we are swicthing to Avid BB5, BB7 and Elixir Hydraulic brakes. Another change to help adjusting was for the 500W bikes, we switched to Post Mount brakes for the front instead of IS Mount. One last change was changing the rotors. The larger the rotor, the more flex and misalignment. We decreased rotor size to 180 but upgraded to HS1 Avid rotors for all models and HSX for the Phantoms. The Outlaws however will still have 200mm rotors but HS1 rotors. Everyone will see an improvement in braking for our 2013 bikes. Brake pads are also still FREE for the life of the bike. If anyone wore their brake pads down, as long as the bike was registered, we send them out for free. We even pay postage so it is not one of those free but pay shipping deals. The brake pads and shipping cost the consumer ZERO. We hope the rider does not take advantage and requires pads no more than once per year, otherwise we believe they may be selling them, haha.

I may have once again wrote too much for a simple few questions. I get carried away. Rob Provost, CEO, Prodeco Technologies

Sounds like some nice improvements.

Who are the dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area? I'm mostly in the East Bay - Berkeley / El Cerrito / Richmond part of this area.

Daniel said:
PhantomX2Biker said:
PRODECO TECHNOLOGIES RESPONSE: I have to be carefull here about advertising the bikes. The moderator does not want any of that. Please look at our website in 3 weeks. The bikes will be explained in detail there. The price is higher but not so much because of the 48V or 750W. There is no real additonal cost of the motor from 36V 500W 12Ah going to 48V 750W 9Ah. Crystalite explains it best on their website. We do not use Crystalite motors but they explain it well. Battery Price: The 36V 12Ah (38.4V X 12Ah - 460W) is basically the same capacity of the 48V 9Ah (51.2 X 9Ah = 460W), they both have 460W capacity. The 48V has a higher cost management board but that is only about $8 our cost. The charger has to put out increased wattage if wanting to stay with charging at 2 Amps but again, that is about $10. The controller is also a little higher in cost and about $9 more. If we use the BAC500 from ASI on all 500W and up, the cost for the controller is then the same because the BAC500 does 24V-48V with a 60A peak. The price is higher of the 48V due to the components. The bike is set now to have Elixir 5 Hydraulic brakes ($350 brake system), XO shifter, X9 derailleur, double crown Magnesium fork with aluminum stanchions, Stainless Steel Sealed bearing across the entire bike (no retainer or cartridge bearings), Continental tires and other items. The name is the Outlaw, and there is the Outlaw SE, Outlaw XE and Outlaw SS

I have to admit that I'm excited to read more about the new Outlaw models. Looks like I'll be upgrading in November...

Alan B said:
Daniel said:

Sounds like some nice improvements.

Who are the dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area? I'm mostly in the East Bay - Berkeley / El Cerrito / Richmond part of this area.

Hi Alan, there is a dealer named "The Electirc Bicycle Outlet" in San Francisco but I am not sure if he has inventory.

Well its now 9/6/12 & i still have not gotten the "FREE BB5 brake pads. I also contacted "Rob"at prodeco technology & explained to him about the "bottom hinge" breaking..(between the weld &formation curve)..he told me to mail back the frame, (just the frame) & they would pay for S&h...yea right!..also if i fixed it, "my warranty would not be applied anymore." i guess i am the only one in the world that, that has ever happened to???? Rob is a smart talker, & he lies alot so far, as months befor the delivery of the bike, I asked him over & over again about the "free pads" & he eventually told me ther would be a "xtra set" mailed with the bike....well, they never came, & i had to order some from the best bike shop in Port Huron, mi. "ALPINE" Bob, (the owner) is an exceptional guy." He & his crew make sure you get the parts you need. He even made sure i got the "Stow Bag" for my other bike. (bag is for planes/trains/busses.) This is a back pak for 26" & 20"(sling over sholder) I wish Alpine had these electric bikes & i would of ordered from them. ASFAR AS: the rame being sent back..."all the wireing harness on the frame are not accessable & had to be cut off to fix the "broken hinge." I had to go to a specialty shop down the road a ways, B & L.... "they did a great job, & very reasonable cost. I expected it costing alot more. A great bunch of guys at both businesses." I am cutting off further contact with prodeco technology, due to their consistent lies & evasesiveness. It seems from previous posts, that prodeco has a history of this type of behavior. " Very sorry to hear that as the X2 is a very quick & fast & light electric bike & well worth the price. It really does get (just under 20 miles on a full charge), just using power. U would thing someone would "ride" for a few months first before selling it with all the problems, yet to com...."WE SHALL SEE?"

Prodeco claims the pads are $8.95 @ set. I got tired of waiting..(a few days.."remember Rob??) & ordered my own. "$40 @ set. I ordered 2 sets, so i would not have to wait for the " few days ....delivery plan. "IT ONLY TOOK 4 - DAYS. What excuses have you got today, Rob?? Your company.."still does not answer -mails. Enough is enough! You are the "MAIN" distributor for the Phantom...or is that just a company name you though up so you could get a paycheck? How many Phantom X2, did you send out, after the battery problem was corrected??? Are you ever planning to keep your promise for "FREE BRAKE PADS FOR LIFE"...or does anyone that buys the bike have to wait 6 - months, (cause thats what you said regarding, the use & expected life of pads????) Almost all of the bolts & so on were loose, & had to be tightened, (which is expectable). lock washers had to be placed in areas where there were none, to stop something from falling off. If i would of pampered this bike any more...it would of been in a display case, with high heels. Bike came out of box & "self adjusting brakes" were loosened & ready to go. Where R the free brake pads, Rob??????

dickselectrictoys said:
Prodeco claims the pads are $8.95 @ set. I got tired of waiting..(a few days.."remember Rob??) & ordered my own. "$40 @ set. I ordered 2 sets, so i would not have to wait for the " few days ....delivery plan. "IT ONLY TOOK 4 - DAYS. What excuses have you got today, Rob?? Your company.."still does not answer -mails. Enough is enough! You are the "MAIN" distributor for the Phantom...or is that just a company name you though up so you could get a paycheck? How many Phantom X2, did you send out, after the battery problem was corrected??? Are you ever planning to keep your promise for "FREE BRAKE PADS FOR LIFE"...or does anyone that buys the bike have to wait 6 - months, (cause thats what you said regarding, the use & expected life of pads????) Almost all of the bolts & so on were loose, & had to be tightened, (which is expectable). lock washers had to be placed in areas where there were none, to stop something from falling off. If i would of pampered this bike any more...it would of been in a display case, with high heels. Bike came out of box & "self adjusting brakes" were loosened & ready to go. Where R the free brake pads, Rob??????

Wow, funny you should post about the "Free Pads" for life. I went to Prodeco to get a new set of pads. I have about 1200 miles on my bike and was told that I had to bring the old pads with me in order to exchange them for a new set. I was actually shocked that I had to bring the old pads with me. I purchased two bikes from them and registered both bikes. I drove my car that day and felt a little betrayed by Prodeco. I am in Florida and not to far from their facility but was still disappointed by the entire experience. I hope things change and they keep their word. I even talked several friends into buying bikes also. I dealt with Rob and have been to their facility several times and still no replacement pads. :-(. I normally ride my bike to work and drive only once or twice a month. So this a major hassle for me to get new pads, I would have to disable bike in order to get a new set. WTF?

@Prodeco
Yeah, not to beat a dead horse, but am also finding it difficult to contact Prodeco.

My story: am picking up a Phantom X2 today (as it looks to be a great base to extend & build off of) and have some questions about warranty, registration, and accessories (info not covered by the website). Sooo... have money in-hand, waiting on a company to reply... UGH!

Tried using the contact form last week: received no reply.
Sent email to addresses on the website: received no reply.
Tried calling several times during stated business hours: received no reply (not even an automated message acknowledging that the number is Prodeco...?)

Asking myself: "Are you sure these guys are interested in doing business? Because it doesn't appear so."

Seriously guys, this looks unprofessional & shows poor form. Especially to people who are otherwise willing to give you money in this burgeoning (and increasingly competitive) industry.

dickselectrictoys said:
Well its now 9/6/12 & i still have not gotten the "FREE BB5 brake pads. ...."WE SHALL SEE?"

I can understand your feelings with all the other problems, ..but to let a set of free brake pads become a big issue over a bike deal is just pathetic. !

PS:.. I dont get how you guys wear out pads so quickly. i dont think i have ever bought new pads for any of the many bikes i have owned !

Hillhater said:
dickselectrictoys said:
Well its now 9/6/12 & i still have not gotten the "FREE BB5 brake pads. ...."WE SHALL SEE?"

I can understand your feelings with all the other problems, ..but to let a set of free brake pads become a big issue over a bike deal is just pathetic. !

PS:.. I dont get how you guys wear out pads so quickly. i dont think i have ever bought new pads for any of the many bikes i have owned !

Hi Dickselectrictoys, the disc pads ship out of here freely with no issue and it is not usually a problem. We bring them in by large lots with last month 6,500 sets alone coming in including for calipers and it is not an issue. If you called in and someone did not send, please contact us again. We ship those by US Mail all the time. Please really do email us again or call in, this has not been an issue except I think recently someone asked for 5 sets after only having the bike for a few months which was strange. They still cost money but we stand 100% behind our statement of free pads for life. We hear very few customers state they have an issue not getting them because we are just not picky about the pads. Robert Provost, Prodeco Technologies

casemon said:
@Prodeco
Yeah, not to beat a dead horse, but am also finding it difficult to contact Prodeco.

My story: am picking up a Phantom X2 today (as it looks to be a great base to extend & build off of) and have some questions about warranty, registration, and accessories (info not covered by the website). Sooo... have money in-hand, waiting on a company to reply... UGH!

Tried using the contact form last week: received no reply.
Sent email to addresses on the website: received no reply.
Tried calling several times during stated business hours: received no reply (not even an automated message acknowledging that the number is Prodeco...?)

Asking myself: "Are you sure these guys are interested in doing business? Because it doesn't appear so."

Seriously guys, this looks unprofessional & shows poor form. Especially to people who are otherwise willing to give you money in this burgeoning (and increasingly competitive) industry.

Hi Casemon, the website is going to be updated with detailed information on each part very soon. There is a large influx of data going up for 2013 bikes which is happening prior to the end of the month. If you had an interest in the bike, I am surprised you did not get at least a response about a dealer. Everyday we do receive a huge amount of emails and calls but we are very strict with the reps calling back. Whether service or sales. If you called the number and not even the automated operator picked up, we had an issue I spoke about a few days ago with our phone system which is a Samsung and also AT&T with dead lines for sometime 1 or 2 hours in the day but that was only for 2 days. The auto-attendent was not picking up and each AT & T and the phone system people were pointing the finger at each other but we thought it was fixed. We have an auto-attendent which separates the calls. We also tell the email guys not to go home unless every email is answered. If you want to email me directly, my email is rob@prodecotech.com, I will make sure you are taken care of. There is another Rob here and he works in service, I am not that Rob and we call him Rob L. Rob L sometimes seems to get a bad rap. He is defintiely short and quick with some people but very accomodating. He pushes us to give great service and take care of the customer beyond expectations. That is due to him being the manager of a very successful bike shop locally for many years. When he sees comments about someone not getting responded too, he gets a little stressed. He turned a little red today about someone else making a comment. We push very hard on customer service and for the thousands of bikes that keep shipping, we do hear an occassional issue with someone feeling we are not responding quicker but it is tiny, very tiny, less than 1/10th of 1% of bikes sold and probably smaller than that. Robert Provost, Prodeco Technologies

dickselectrictoys said:
Well its now 9/6/12 & i still have not gotten the "FREE BB5 brake pads. I also contacted "Rob"at prodeco technology & explained to him about the "bottom hinge" breaking..(between the weld &formation curve)..he told me to mail back the frame, (just the frame) & they would pay for S&h...yea right!..also if i fixed it, "my warranty would not be applied anymore." i guess i am the only one in the world that, that has ever happened to???? Rob is a smart talker, & he lies alot so far, as months befor the delivery of the bike, I asked him over & over again about the "free pads" & he eventually told me ther would be a "xtra set" mailed with the bike....well, they never came, & i had to order some from the best bike shop in Port Huron, mi. "ALPINE" Bob, (the owner) is an exceptional guy." He & his crew make sure you get the parts you need. He even made sure i got the "Stow Bag" for my other bike. (bag is for planes/trains/busses.) This is a back pak for 26" & 20"(sling over sholder) I wish Alpine had these electric bikes & i would of ordered from them. ASFAR AS: the rame being sent back..."all the wireing harness on the frame are not accessable & had to be cut off to fix the "broken hinge." I had to go to a specialty shop down the road a ways, B & L.... "they did a great job, & very reasonable cost. I expected it costing alot more. A great bunch of guys at both businesses." I am cutting off further contact with prodeco technology, due to their consistent lies & evasesiveness. It seems from previous posts, that prodeco has a history of this type of behavior. " Very sorry to hear that as the X2 is a very quick & fast & light electric bike & well worth the price. It really does get (just under 20 miles on a full charge), just using power. U would thing someone would "ride" for a few months first before selling it with all the problems, yet to com...."WE SHALL SEE?"

Hi Dickelctrictoys, your email seems very stressed and a little all over the place. We have had 2 frames have an issue from over 3000 of your style. One was damaged by a fork lift, another was damaged in South America with not a clear explanation. If a frame is damaged, photos are sent to be immediately. I have never seen a photo from your issue so believe there is not photo on file. I will speak with Rob L about this in the morning because I am just getting to Endless Sphere now. I am not sure why you are so upset but again I will speak to Rob. If you frame was damaged, you can send the whole bike and we will rebuild at no charge. There is no reason to have someone else do it. As far as wiring, to cut the wires makes no sense. Every wire disconnects. Please send some photos so we can see what happened. If you asked Rob L to send a frame with no photos and did not want to return the bike or frame, yes, there is a very good chance he will not send a new frame. We get some interesting request sometimes. Based on reading your email and you left 3 post on here about the brake pads, I have a feeling something else is at issue. If you feel you emailed Rob L and he has been dishonest, we save every single email in and out of our building and I can check the email server to see myself. When did you contact Rob L about this?

We also do not have a bag for 26" bikes, so I have no comment about that. We have 1 bag for the Mariner.

As far as lies, I can only see your complaint about the brake pads over and over and not other claim to a lie. If you called and spoke to any one of the other guys in service, I am sure they would take care of it and send you brake pads. All we ever ask for the pads is the serial number which is on the box or on the bike. If anyone calls for that matter and does not like the person they are talking too which is never the issue but regardless, our current service guys are Rob L, Louie, Richard, John and Jim. These guys maintain service. If you sent an item, one of those guys worked with it. They are not on the production lines and only service. Jim is mainly R & D but the head technician. I think there is more to this story than meets the eye here. Robert Provost

Blackssr said:
dickselectrictoys said:

Wow, funny you should post about the "Free Pads" for life. I went to Prodeco to get a new set of pads. I have about 1200 miles on my bike and was told that I had to bring the old pads with me in order to exchange them for a new set. I was actually shocked that I had to bring the old pads with me. I purchased two bikes from them and registered both bikes. I drove my car that day and felt a little betrayed by Prodeco. I am in Florida and not to far from their facility but was still disappointed by the entire experience. I hope things change and they keep their word. I even talked several friends into buying bikes also. I dealt with Rob and have been to their facility several times and still no replacement pads. :-(. I normally ride my bike to work and drive only once or twice a month. So this a major hassle for me to get new pads, I would have to disable bike in order to get a new set. WTF?

I am also shocked at that comment, never in 3 years of offering the free pads have I known any of our service guys asked for bringing in old pads. The other issue is needing pads at 1200 miles, especially only using the bike once or twice a month. If Rob L did ask for them, it could have been to see how they are wearing and why they were needed. He is not asking to see if you are being honest unless the bike was new. We really do not care that much about giving out the pads other than it is a good customer service gesture. As I mentioned we give out pads all the time and have thousands always on hand. The only time I would think there would be an issue is if someone purchased a bike fairly new and asked for multiple sets. That ruins a nice thing we are doing for everyone. If someone needs them, we always give them. After reading why everyone is upset about brake pads, I think I will ask the web guys to set it up on the website to order so there can be no confusion. Robert Provost, Prodeco Technologies

dickselectrictoys said:

Hi Dickselectrictoys, I am going up through the messages and this is number 3 for you on brake pads. I realize I should have read post going down but did not expect the same person to write 3 times about the pads. I realize now you just purchased the bike and asked for brake pads and Rob L told you the pads have a 6 month life cycle. They are actually 1 year cycle but we can do 2 sets a year for long distance riders. I see so much hostility in all your messages. As far as loose bolts, any bolts that possibly can be loose usually have lock tight but a long distance trip sharing in the back of a trailer for 30-40 hours can do a little loosening. For 2013 we are suggesting for the mail order guys who are not familiar with bikes to find a local shop they like ahead and for them to plan on having the bike adjusted and looked through once they get it. We do have a separate station off the production line which checks the torque of each bolt and does final adjustments but this cannot be compared to a local shop doing a check up. The manual explains how someone themself can do adjustments but if the person is not mechanically inclined, it is better left to a shop. It is a bike nonetheless and like any bike, a quick service every 6 months is good to do. Please do not get to stressed on the brake pads. We do offer for life and it is not worth being this upset about. I can see you are very, very upset over not having the spare set even though the bike is new. We do sell the pads for $8,95 if someone wanted spares but for normal wear and tear, they are free. We just are careful not a few people ruin it for the rest. For example, my car has free maintenance for 50,000 miles including oil changes and yes, the magic phrase "free brake pads". If I went to the dealer and asked for brake pads at 2 months, they would most likely not replace them and state, follow the maintenance schedule. Each manual has a maintenance schedule. The maintenance schedule for the Phantom models is page 34 of your manual. It states, replace brake pads yearly. We will honor that but want to see some mileage on the bike and not just because someone wants free pads with a new bike. This is pretty basic stuff here and not too difficult to understand.

As far as, "that just a company name you though up so you could get a paycheck? " How old are you? It is something someone would say in middle school. It is insulting if that was your motive but why the hostility? What is going on that you are so upset? So many people are having a great time riding their bikes everyday or once a week, etc.. why are you so ramped up to insult me? Anyways, the 3 post you left leads me to believe something else. Please feel free to contact us. You can write me direct if you feel you are not being treated right or have issues you feel are not being looked at. You can use rob.endless.sphere@prodecotech.com. I will know it is you this way. Please enjoy your bike and if you are ever in the area, you are more than welcome to stop by. We are working on some new videos including how we build the bikes. There is a Channel 10 NEWS Video of a segment a local News channel did on us. They have video of the production if you do not believe we build the bikes and only the "MAIN" distributor as you mentioned. The video is posted on Endless Sphere. Enjoy Life and try to have some fun. Isn't that what the bike is for?

Daniel said:
Hi Casemon, the website is going to be updated with detailed information on each part very soon. There is a large influx of data going up for 2013 bikes which is happening prior to the end of the month. If you had an interest in the bike, I am surprised you did not get at least a response about a dealer. Everyday we do receive a huge amount of emails and calls but we are very strict with the reps calling back. Whether service or sales. If you called the number and not even the automated operator picked up, we had an issue I spoke about a few days ago with our phone system which is a Samsung and also AT&T with dead lines for sometime 1 or 2 hours in the day but that was only for 2 days. The auto-attendent was not picking up and each AT & T and the phone system people were pointing the finger at each other but we thought it was fixed. We have an auto-attendent which separates the calls. We also tell the email guys not to go home unless every email is answered. If you want to email me directly, my email is rob@prodecotech.com, I will make sure you are taken care of. There is another Rob here and he works in service, I am not that Rob and we call him Rob L. Rob L sometimes seems to get a bad rap. He is defintiely short and quick with some people but very accomodating. He pushes us to give great service and take care of the customer beyond expectations. That is due to him being the manager of a very successful bike shop locally for many years. When he sees comments about someone not getting responded too, he gets a little stressed. He turned a little red today about someone else making a comment. We push very hard on customer service and for the thousands of bikes that keep shipping, we do hear an occassional issue with someone feeling we are not responding quicker but it is tiny, very tiny, less than 1/10th of 1% of bikes sold and probably smaller than that. Robert Provost, Prodeco Technologies

Hi Rob, thanks for the detail reply. To be clear, most of my questions (reasons for contacting) were about accessories, as the website is scant on details.

Have since received replies from Rob L. and he did an adequate job answering my questions & restoring confidence in Prodeco (though would still appreciate seeing photos of the non-handlebar bag accessories installed!)

Happily, picked up my X2 yesterday and as a new owner, posted initial feedback in another thread, so as to not hijack this one. Can find it here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43553 (to sum up for the lazy ;) am loving it, despite a battery case malfunction )

casemon said:
Daniel said:

Hi Rob, thanks for the detail reply. To be clear, most of my questions (reasons for contacting) were about accessories, as the website is scant on details.

Have since received replies from Rob L. and he did an adequate job answering my questions & restoring confidence in Prodeco (though would still appreciate seeing photos of the non-handlebar bag accessories installed!)

Happily, picked up my X2 yesterday and as a new owner, posted initial feedback in another thread, so as to not hijack this one. Can find it here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43553 (to sum up for the lazy ;) am loving it, despite a battery case malfunction )

Hi Casemon, thank you for the Post. In regards to the battery, did you speak to Rob L. about this. The battery base was remolded just n the last 2 weeks. We had a certain amount of the clips as you mention crack and only on about 2-3% of the 12Ah. We doubled the thickness of the ABS Plastic to 3.5mm for added strength. This solved the issue and any battery remaining we changed the base of. It seemed when the ABS was molded, it was not thick enough for a particular run. We also now are actually adding 1mm thickness across the entire battery shell top and bottom but that is a few months from now until our new molds are finished and tested. The increase to the 3.5mm thick on the slot itself took care of the issue. It was only about 2-3% of the batteries having the issue and I apologize you even experienced that. I can see how frustrating that would be. Due to that 1 group having issue, we are doing an advanced replacement. We also have softened the ABS so it is not as hard and brittle even though at the new 3.5mm thickness, it would be fine. For a further step of protection in the future of the battery itself, you will notice there are M5 holes at the top of the rear stays (frame legs) and also the bottom above the dropout. The one above the dropout is to mount the battery strut which assists with holding the weight of the battery. These 4 holes (2 on each side) however are for an aluminum rack we are designing to mount over the battery and protect it. Not everyone will want to have this rack on the bike because it takes away from the sleek look and looks like a luggage carrier but is meant for those who want to store items along. We expect the commuters will love it. It is that rack I am writing about that we made the Pannier Bags for. Rob L may not even realize that because the rack has only been told about to a few people. We have planned on releasing it this past spring but waited until the new battery design was out. it has to be able to fit perfectly and allow the battery to slide in and out. Some people I am sure wondered what those holes were for. Rob Provost

Daniel said:
Hi Casemon, thank you for the Post. In regards to the battery, did you speak to Rob L. about this. The battery base was remolded just n the last 2 weeks. We had a certain amount of the clips as you mention crack and only on about 2-3% of the 12Ah. We doubled the thickness of the ABS Plastic to 3.5mm for added strength. This solved the issue and any battery remaining we changed the base of. It seemed when the ABS was molded, it was not thick enough for a particular run. We also now are actually adding 1mm thickness across the entire battery shell top and bottom but that is a few months from now until our new molds are finished and tested. The increase to the 3.5mm thick on the slot itself took care of the issue. It was only about 2-3% of the batteries having the issue and I apologize you even experienced that. I can see how frustrating that would be. Due to that 1 group having issue, we are doing an advanced replacement.
No, haven't contacted Rob L. about this yet, only sent you a mail about it. Is Rob L. the main contact for warranty issues as well? (was one of the questions in the mail: whom to contact on warranty issues?)

So he can send the thicker replacement battery shell? Think I missed Rob L. today (as it is already late), but will try tomorrow or Monday.

In the meantime, have superglued the broken bit back on (ugh), so we'll see how long that lasts haha.
Daniel said:
We also have softened the ABS so it is not as hard and brittle even though at the new 3.5mm thickness, it would be fine. For a further step of protection in the future of the battery itself, you will notice there are M5 holes at the top of the rear stays (frame legs) and also the bottom above the dropout. The one above the dropout is to mount the battery strut which assists with holding the weight of the battery. These 4 holes (2 on each side) however are for an aluminum rack we are designing to mount over the battery and protect it. Not everyone will want to have this rack on the bike because it takes away from the sleek look and looks like a luggage carrier but is meant for those who want to store items along. We expect the commuters will love it. It is that rack I am writing about that we made the Pannier Bags for. Rob L may not even realize that because the rack has only been told about to a few people. We have planned on releasing it this past spring but waited until the new battery design was out. it has to be able to fit perfectly and allow the battery to slide in and out. Some people I am sure wondered what those holes were for. Rob Provost
Sounds cool, will look for that as well. Would be nice to have option for panniers on X2.

( Oh and Rob, the Return / Enter / New Paragraph key is your friend! :D )

casemon said:
Daniel said:
Hi Casemon, thank you for the Post. In regards to the battery, did you speak to Rob L. about this. The battery base was remolded just n the last 2 weeks. We had a certain amount of the clips as you mention crack and only on about 2-3% of the 12Ah. We doubled the thickness of the ABS Plastic to 3.5mm for added strength. This solved the issue and any battery remaining we changed the base of. It seemed when the ABS was molded, it was not thick enough for a particular run. We also now are actually adding 1mm thickness across the entire battery shell top and bottom but that is a few months from now until our new molds are finished and tested. The increase to the 3.5mm thick on the slot itself took care of the issue. It was only about 2-3% of the batteries having the issue and I apologize you even experienced that. I can see how frustrating that would be. Due to that 1 group having issue, we are doing an advanced replacement.
No, haven't contacted Rob L. about this yet, only sent you a mail about it. Is Rob L. the main contact for warranty issues as well? (was one of the questions in the mail: whom to contact on warranty issues?)

So he can send the thicker replacement battery shell? Think I missed Rob L. today (as it is already late), but will try tomorrow or Monday.

In the meantime, have superglued the broken bit back on (ugh), so we'll see how long that lasts haha.
Daniel said:
We also have softened the ABS so it is not as hard and brittle even though at the new 3.5mm thickness, it would be fine. For a further step of protection in the future of the battery itself, you will notice there are M5 holes at the top of the rear stays (frame legs) and also the bottom above the dropout. The one above the dropout is to mount the battery strut which assists with holding the weight of the battery. These 4 holes (2 on each side) however are for an aluminum rack we are designing to mount over the battery and protect it. Not everyone will want to have this rack on the bike because it takes away from the sleek look and looks like a luggage carrier but is meant for those who want to store items along. We expect the commuters will love it. It is that rack I am writing about that we made the Pannier Bags for. Rob L may not even realize that because the rack has only been told about to a few people. We have planned on releasing it this past spring but waited until the new battery design was out. it has to be able to fit perfectly and allow the battery to slide in and out. Some people I am sure wondered what those holes were for. Rob Provost
Sounds cool, will look for that as well. Would be nice to have option for panniers on X2.

( Oh and Rob, the Return / Enter / New Paragraph key is your friend! :D )

Hi Casemon, you are funny, I will start separating my topics by paragraph. I normally due but on Endless-Sphere I just type away real fast trying to answer the best and quickest way I can.

The carrier I believe will be a huge welcome. Every bike with a battery over the rear axle should have a carrier, especially the commuters. We are finishing the development of adjustable struts made of Cro-mo and Stainless. They will have a high end finish to them and support the battery to over 100lbs with no flex. It sill does not subsitute though for the rack.

Thanks again and enjoy the bike. Robert Provost.

Does anyone know the answers to the following Prodeco questions. I never receive a response when I email them.

1) Are there any dealers in San Diego?
2) What are the dimensions of their different ebikes when folded? I am particularly interested in the Phantom X2 and Stride.
3) Is there a lock on the battery? Or would it be extremely easy for someone to steal if I parked my bike for a few minutes?
4) Are they willing to upgrade the battery/motor on particular bikes? Say upgrade the Phantom's battery/motor/controller to the outlaw's.

Otherwise, if anyone has any recommendations of a good folding bike I could start building my own custom ebike from that would be awesome.

derek1800 said:
Otherwise, if anyone has any recommendations of a good folding bike I could start building my own custom ebike from that would be awesome.

Xootr Swift build thread here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42133

derek1800 said:
3) Is there a lock on the battery? Or would it be extremely easy for someone to steal if I parked my bike for a few minutes?

There is a lock on the battery. When the on/off key on the rack is rotated to the half way position or beyond, a metal peg on the rack rises to prevent the battery from sliding back and removed.

When people put a lock on their home front door, they assume a thief will be as careful as they themselves would be. However, thieves don't care what they damage. All they need to do is break a window to enter. The battery on the X2 can be easily stolen. However I won't post the exact technique on this thread, since I don't wish to give nasty people step-by-step instructions. PM me if you want more details.

Back