Question about Crystalyte 72V 50A controller

RoughRider

100 W
I have build a just-for-fun scooter with a Crystalyte 72V and 50Amp and a X5304 motor.

I use the Cycleanalyst to check the system ==> Voltage, Amp, Ah and so on.

When i go FULL throttel, the Cycleanalyst show me only 16A. And only 1,1kW motorpower. I was expecting 50A at full throttel and 3,5kW motorpower.

What is wrong?

Why only 16A?

Is it the controller or is it the Cycleanalyst?

I have just the Cycleanalyst to check the system, i need to buy a currentclamp, to check if the Cycleanalyst is wrong.

Is the CA calibrated for that controller? What does the seat of your pants tell you about how much power is being delivered?

the shunt i have is good up to 200A...0,25mOhm

it feels not like the motor is putting out 3,5kW...

i am going to buy a currentclamp to check the Amps from the battery

I have the same controller and I see over 80A peak. When my cycle analyst wasn't set up I only got low power and speed. Try unplugging it and see if you get more power...

what has the CA to do with the controller?

how can the CA limit the controller?

they are NOT connected with each other...

the only "connection" is the shunt

I think he is saying that the shunt must need a calibration. I too have a crystalyte 72V 50amp controller. I have on mine a switch labeled LMH that controllers the max speed, ( and I suppose the max amps as well) reading about crystalyte controller I learn from a Doctorbass post, that if you don’t have that switch the controller could have a medium o low setting from factory, so it wont reach it full potential. You could as him about this.

I had the incorrect number of poles set. No idea how this affected things but it did. Set the number of poles to 12 as suggested by the good folk at ebikes.ca and the speed went back to normal. Can't hurt to check.

Oh yes, and the default setting is for medium power, though this will only really affect top speed. You can put a jumper pin in instead of the LMH switch.

Just FYI with a direct plug in CA you can definitely limit both power and speed!

i have a stand alone high current CA...

from my understanding, it can not affect the controller, because there is no connection between them(controller and CA)

Kaño said:
I think he is saying that the shunt must need a calibration. I too have a crystalyte 72V 50amp controller. I have on mine a switch labeled LMH that controllers the max speed, ( and I suppose the max amps as well) reading about crystalyte controller I learn from a Doctorbass post, that if you don’t have that switch the controller could have a medium o low setting from factory, so it wont reach it full potential. You could as him about this.

would you send me a foto of this switch?

do i understand you right, that this switch is on the controller...right?

i just see a red "ON/OFF" switch on the front of the controller...

what stands LMH for?

It is not on the controller, it is an accesorie, you can buy it from Maxwell65 here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14506

If you have calibrated the CA for the shunt's value, or it came precalibrated, then it is probably reading accurately. If so, then the most likely culprit is a poor connection somewhere in the battery to controller cabling, or controller to motor cabling. A bad crimp, cold solder, or simple not-fully-seated connection.

If the CA is not calibrated for that shunt, either by you, the supplier, or the factory, then you will want to go to the http://ebikes.ca/drainbrain page and look for the "how to calibrate for your shunt" info.

Does anybody knows the shunt value for a Crystalyte 72V 48amp controller? How could I know if my CA has the correct shunt value?

The shunt value may vary from controller to controller even within a manufacturer's certain voltage/current rated units, as they may change the internals with different revisions and models.

You may need to follow the ebikes.ca instructions to find yours out and calibrate the CA to that.

yes i think it is the wrong setting about the shunt in the CA...

i tryed this LHM switch...feels like the same in all positions...need to test it more

As was stated previously, disconnect the CA from the controller and give it a try to verify that is the issue. CA's have a lot more functions than just measuring current and the connection to the controller is more than just output to the CA. It sounds like the current limit function of the CA is what's limiting the controller output.

If you can't find out the controller's actual shunt value, you can always calibrate by trial and error, and using a modified binary search approach you can get to the right number pretty quickly. Do it no load, so your multimeter can handle the current, and compare actual current to the controller to current reported by the CA.

John

its not to hard to understand, but i will try again: the CA can NOT limit anything on the controller, because they are not connected to each other...

how do you want to controll something, when you dont have a connection to it...???

you should read the CA-informations and figure out HOW this limiting-functions work...

Back