Rim build?

OzTrekker

10 mW
Apologise if this is in the wrong place.

Ok this is what I am trying to source.

35mm wide rim
26"
36hole
3inch tyre - whats out there on the market?

Does it exist?
DT swiss stuff is not wide enough and can only go to a maximum of 13 gauge spokes. I suppose i could use washers to get them to 12. However it still does not get past the fact that they are not wide enough.

There is a surly tyre that will work - just too knobbly for my latest build. There rims are too wide.

There is a custom carbon option around, super expensive, however it will not last as i intend to spank these rims like a german automotive ceo in redlight Amsterdam.

All help appreciated.

Tire. 26x3.0
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Cruiser-Flame-Tires-Black/dp/B00QHA3CZW
Bought one a while back but haven't used it yet. Looks good and is supposed to be smooth on road.
Rim. 35mm
http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/CHOPPER/DHL42.htm
Don't know where to buy. I use 32mm rims with 3.0 tires. Work fine.

You should probably look up the various motorcycle / moped tire & rim threads, because I think with your intended use in the outback (assuming this is for the same purpose as your charger thread) you'll have a lot tougher wheel and tire built that way.

I'm using 20" wheels on rear of bike and trike, and while hte rim is a wide rim of the same kind as one of the original Zero motorcycles, the spokes are Sapim 13/14 butted, radially laced on the hubmotors.

The tire on the bike is just a Maxxis Ringworm, which works ok, but doesnt' have the same toughness or bump absorption as the Shinko SR241's used on the trike's rear wheels. While they are significantly heavier, they are also much more able to take the abuse of me sliding the back end around turns, and they absorb a lot more of the road bumps, even when it's heavily loaded, than the Ringworm can, just because of the volume of air inside and the way the tires are built (sidewalls/etc).

OzTrekker said:

35mm wide rim
26"
36hole
3inch tyre - whats out there on the market

Are you talking 35mm inside or outside?

If 32mm outside will do it, you have good options. Alex DM24 would be my first choice. Weinmann DM30 is another economical and rugged option. Velocity Cliffhanger is more expensive, but a superb rim.

Velocity Blunt 35 is a really nice 35mm wide (outside) rim that only works with hub brakes (discs, drums, coaster).

If you mean 35mm inside, look at the Weinmann DHL42, Alex DX32, and Velocity Dually.

Those velocity rims look nice - difficult to get the 36 hole version in Australia-so another import hassle and wait time.

But I came across a new trend in my google search - the 27.5 inch rims - so they can push the tyre out to a 2.8 maximum.

Obviously not a fat bike but pushing out there.

So i can get a 2.8 instead of a 3inch tyre - still not sure what to do.

26 versus a 27.5 inch rim.

Maybe some ideas from people that put together beach cruisers would be helpful.

Oz I told you before, no talking about red light outside the work place.
Or next trip you must stay home.

For off road, a 2.7 Kenda Nevegal or similar size DH tire is perfect on a 35mm rim, making 28" OD. Going larger 27.5 rim will limit your choice of tires.

For the street, there is a neat advantage building on 24 and using wider rims. My street bike has 24 X 3.0 Duro Berm Master tires on 65mm wide rims. Not good at all in the mountain trails, but a traction beast on pavement riding 17 PSI.

After I got my Mac Motor a couple of years ago, I was unsure what bike to put it on, I had a 26 inch bike ( which I sold to help fund the 27.5 inch e-bike conversion.
So ordered a 36 hole Down Hill Rim for the 26 inch bike.
it is 31.5 mm on the outside and 25mm on the inside, so it should take some really Fat Tires,
It is an Alex rim , the 700c Alex rims are weak, however their 26 inch Down Hill Rim is really strong,
it is called the
Alex Supra BH
Etrto 559x25 6061h-t6

Best to use Tire size range 44mm ( 1.73 inch ) to 57mm ( 2.24 inch )

OzTrekker said:
Apologise if this is in the wrong place.

35mm wide rim
26"
36hole
3inch tyre - whats out there on the market?

Does it exist?
DT swiss stuff is not wide enough and can only go to a maximum of 13 gauge spokes. I suppose i could use washers to get them to 12. However it still does not get past the fact that they are not wide enough.

There is a surly tyre that will work - just too knobbly for my latest build. There rims are too wide.

There is a custom carbon option around, super expensive, however it will not last as i intend to spank these rims like a german automotive ceo in redlight Amsterdam.

All help appreciated.

29 inch is synonymous with 700c. There are lots of very strong Alex rims that are available in that size.

If you are looking for a 27.5" rim, I found one made by Mavic. This thing should be very strong. I'm trying to source this rim for my own build. Good luck!

http://www.mavic.us/rims-mtb-ex-830-disc

I think I have sourced some good tyres- berm master or ring worms.

Will the 65mm 24" rim fit a standard frame?

I think the berm masters will be good for the pavements.

Next step is to purchase a wheel building truing stand.

I was looking at park tool.

What are your recommendations?

DriftTrike said:
If you are looking for a 27.5" rim, I found one made by Mavic. This thing should be very strong. I'm trying to source this rim for my own build.

27.5 means "one inch bigger than 26, 1-1/2 inches smaller than 29, and I'm happy to pay extra for everything".

It's like a pass/fail intelligence test.

OzTrekker said:
I think I have sourced some good tyres- berm master or ring worms.

Will the 65mm 24" rim fit a standard frame?

I think the berm masters will be good for the pavements.

Next step is to purchase a wheel building truing stand.

I was looking at park tool.

What are your recommendations?
There is no standard for swingarm width. Most FS frames will clear a 2.70 tire, some will clear wider or narrower. Using a smaller diameter wheel usually gives better clearance because most swingarms are getting wider at a pretty short distance from the pivot. For the street, I like to use as much tire as the frame does accept. A Berm Master on a 65mm rim makes exactly 3 inches wide, on a 45mm rim it does 2.7

Using a wider rim has some consequences. It does let you ride lower PSI by increasing tire volume so it does make for a larger contact surface with the ground. This is a neat improvement in traction but it is at the cost of extra tire heat and sidewall tension. The Berm Master being a hard gum, its traction does improve a lot riding wide and low. It is definitely a pavement tire. Off road you'd want smaller and higher knobs on a soft gum thicker sole, a tire construction that weights double the Berm Master.

A trueing stand is very good to have, no matter the brand and it is easy to make your own. You can also lace a wheel horizontally by drilling a hole on a stool and bolt the axle in it. You can make a trueing ruler that is fitted under the stool, or true the wheel after it is on the bike. My first trueing stand was made out of two 5ft long 1.5" angle steel scewed on the ceiling frame of the garage.

It is not easy to source quality spokes cut to hub motor building length, and they are long to come in the shipping. I suggest that you find a local bike shop that is equipped with a spoke threading machine, and use the best spokes that you can buy locally. I use 14Ga DT Swiss black spokes, many other manufacturers are making the equivalent. Use long nipples and rim washers, they help a lot to build a strong wheel that will last.

Back