Some issues with my tsdz2b ( initial high resistance, now play in crank and clunking sounds )

marvin78

100 W
Hello there, new user here.

I bought a Tong Shen tsdz2b because of the great community support for this cheap motor, and I expected to do some stuff on it myself eventually ( like cooling mod while flashing osf ). But, when I first got my kit, after installing I was severely underwhelmed with the support it gave. I basically needed sport to feel I was getting positive assistance instead of just getting more tired due to the resistance of the motor. I also had issues with my battery cutting off, or well so it felt I never got an error message on the display but it went away if I reset the power for a couple of seconds. I bought a second battery, this time from the same seller as I bought the engine from. This battery has no issues and has both the capacity I expected and it doesn't lose power mid ride. I still felt underwhelmed with the assistance level though, I had hoped to be using touring ( assist 2 ) most of the time so I could go on really long rides instead off a couple of loops on the local xc track.

Then, I suddenly started to feel like assist two was actually fine, and assist three was actually to much at some technical parts due to giving to much acceleration when I don't need it. I had heard about 'things being to tight' and well I hoped this had resolved itself and now I would be golden from there on... only to notice not long after that I started hearing clunking / clicking sounds, on each crank rotation. And I felt some play in the crank arm I had not noticed before.

The sounds are audible whenever my cranks are perfectly vertical, with either right or left pedal on the upper position and the other on the lower. I can't include a video, but I uploaded a short clip here -> 20230731_172502.MOV

Now, my question is: I have a hunch this might be 'fixed' by following this ->

But, seller has warranty on the motor, but I will break this when I open the motor casing. I don't feel like sending it back for repairs if it's something simple, eventually I will install osf and the cooling kit I already ordered from ebikestuff.eu so I will void my warranty anyway. I already ordered some of those bearings and I have access to the proper drivetrain spacers, but if the issue is something else I don't want to void my warranty and end up with something which isn't fixable the way I thought it would be.

Some guidance would be highly appreciated.

I am impatient, I bought a new motor from the same seller and since I am in the 14 day return period I will just return this one ( since seller wasn't sure on the cause of the issue, sending it back for a warranty request will take much more time and leave me without ). Now I will hopefully get the new motor in the same couple days delivery as the last time, and I'll get the money back from my first motor ( or heck if they can repair it and send it back that's fine as well I would eventually order another one anyway ).

When the new motor comes in, moment I can confirm it's running perfect I'll void the warranty on that one by installing the basic cooling kit and osf <3

I got a reply from the seller they won't send my new motor even while I paid for it, until I close my dispute on the first motor?

I am within 14 days, am I somehow morally wrong for just wanting to return this one and get a new one? I have no issues if they fix this motor and send it back, but I'm not going to wait for it and be without so I ordered a new one. I will ship the old one in, if they can fix it they can send it back working fully and if not they can refund me or send me a second new one.

After getting scammed buying a 'Real 20Ah' ( 7.65Ah ) battery recently I don't have a lot of trust in companies lately.

Welp, not sure what to say: I took the thing apart to the point where I would have to break the warranty void seal, looked everything over and just put everything back together after applying some fresh grease. And it's 'fixed'.

Did take the opportunity to add the extra 6902RS behind the dust seal ( I do want to keep that, places I ride can get pretty dusty and I don't think that ingress would be good for the longevity of bearings ). And at least I feel comfortable now somewhat with taking it apart at least the clutch assembly to the point of the torque sensor.

Comfortable enough about both myself and the motor itself, which is good since installing the cooling kit / temperature sensor / osf which is in the planning will void the remaining warranty ;)

Depending on how much the OSF will make the higher cadence range feel better I might try going to a 52T chainring, hoping this one will fit ( as it's pretty cheap... as long as it won't chew up my chain ;) ).

stronglight-aa5083-chainring-52t-9-10-speed-outer-110bcd-black-1.jpg

I rather have a narrow wide but this is just 26 bucks 3 to 5 day delivery. And stronglight seems to be a reputable French brand.. or at least a French brand. Not sure if the screws line up, but from the picture they do.. stronglight AA5083 52T 9/10-speed Outer 110BCD

Hope the seller isn't mad I thought there was an structural issue, though he did see the video and did say himself it could be something with the torque sensor.

Back