Tesla GigaFactory opened will there be a change to 20700?

macribs

10 MW
Now that the gigafactory is open and running will we see a change to new cell diameters from 18650 to 20700 right away or is that something planned ie for the new model 3?

I wonder if Tesla's choice of upping the size will impact the rest of the li-ion market as well? Will we see a change to new cell sizes from other manufacturers too, and if so when will the changes happen?

From what I could find the 10% change in size yields a 30% increase in energy storage.
Seems like we got good things coming, just wondering when will this change in size take place, and when will it be common or mainstream?

Well,, the answer is not till the 18650 manufacturing equipment in china has completely worn out.

I settle for second hand Tesla/Panasonic 20700 any day over Chinese 18650's. Hopefully Tesla will start now with the move to 20700.
Then we just need to keep an eye open for whenever Okashira gets new inventory :)

Online reports from the GigaParty last week , confirm there is no cell production at the GF yet, ...they are still installing and commissioning equipment.
From the vids(some posted by you ), its apparent that all the GF is producing currently is the Powerwall/Powerpack units , assembled from imported 18650 cells.
Also it seems that the GF cell manufacturing will be set up primarily for 21700 format cells, for the Mod 3 initial production, with a potential for some capacity of 18650 if needed.
Remember , most of the big players, Panasonic/Sanyo , LG, Samsung, etc already have commercial 20700 cells available (4.2- 4.5 Ahr) if you really must have some quickly.

Is there anywhere currently selling 20700 batts? I've heard that the gigafactory will be producing 300 Wh/kg 18650's as well.

ChargedPlanes said:
Is there anywhere currently selling 20700 batts? I've heard that the gigafactory will be producing 300 Wh/kg 18650's as well.

If you look at both volumetric and gravimetric density of brand new 20700 from Panasonic as well as 3,5Ah GA from Sanyo then reaching 300 Wh/kg or 800 Wh/l seems to be far away.

Back